ADVERTISEMENT

How well did GW pass in HS?

RUich

Heisman Winner
Aug 2, 2001
All I remember hearing about was how strong of an arm he had.
Not trying to compare the level of difficulty in HS and Div. 1 football, but he must have been better no?

In HS, he was probably bigger than most of the kids rushing him. In college, he regularly has four 325 pound monsters who want to tear his head off and shit down his neck, with one or two 250 pound LBs trying to rip his arms off and the occasional 220 pound psychotic cornerback or safety trying to separate his knees from the rest of his body.

That'll cause a little bit of nervous distraction now and then. 😀

In HS, he was probably bigger than most of the kids rushing him. In college, he regularly has four 325 pound monsters who want to tear his head off and shit down his neck, with one or two 250 pound LBs trying to rip his arms off and the occasional 220 pound psychotic cornerback or safety trying to separate his knees from the rest of his body.

That'll cause a little bit of nervous distraction now and then. 😀
That's a lot of penalty yards

That's a lot of penalty yards
Yeah, but the QB has all that poop to have to get vacuumed out of his neck and upper torso. So he's not thinking about penalty yards - he's thinking about having to have his head sewed back on, and how much that's gonna hurt.

Last edited:
All I remember hearing about was how strong of an arm he had.
Not trying to compare the level of difficulty in HS and Div. 1 football, but he must have been better no?

The issue is accuracy, not arm strength.

Reactions: RU205
The issue is accuracy, not arm strength.
Reading between the lines, I think that's what the OP was actually asking about. People were all talking about his arm strength, but was anybody talking about his great accuracy in HS. At least, that's how it read to me.

And my typical joking response was actually partially serious in that I would think it's a hell of a lot easier to be accurate in HS than in Big Ten football. You see similar stuff in basketball... lights out shooters in HS struggle for shooting accuracy in tough competition in college.

In HS he was around a 54% passer.

Most of Gavin's passes that are off- tend to be the ones that are going high. And he fits some incredible passes right where they need to be many times as well. Tells me it is mechanics.
Maybe when the game takes one more slow down for him, he fixes that problem.

Reading between the lines, I think that's what the OP was actually asking about. People were all talking about his arm strength, but was anybody talking about his great accuracy in HS. At least, that's how it read to me.

And my typical joking response was actually partially serious in that I would think it's a hell of a lot easier to be accurate in HS than in Big Ten football. You see similar stuff in basketball... lights out shooters in HS struggle for shooting accuracy in tough competition in college.
Most famous RU case I recall of that was Johnnie Blake who came to RU from a JuCo, where he supposedly shot 60% from three and could barely sniff the court here - lot tougher when they guard you, lol.

Gavin is lanky with long arms.
He can have a high release point when he's rushing to throw.
From highlights I saw he had more time in HS.
DBs in HS are glacial compared to B1G.
Its easier for him to throw crossing routes than fly routes (multiple reasons for that)
When he runs he just eats real estate with those long strides

Most famous RU case I recall of that was Johnnie Blake who came to RU from a JuCo, where he supposedly shot 60% from three and could barely sniff the court here - lot tougher when they guard you, lol.
He averaged over 30 ppg in JUCO and I remember Luicci questioning whether the stats were fake or not. May have been able to fake it back then. Remember that WR recruit out of Long Branch who kept pumping himself up with fake offers on a previous generation of this board?

Reactions: RU848789
Gavin , in my opinion, couldn't be considered an accurate QB in high school
46-for-80 passing for 581 yards with six touchdowns his senior year in the three games before leaving to enroll early at Rutgers
this link shows his HS statistics ( but only one game as a senior, not the 3 he played)
https://www.maxpreps.com/ky/owensbo...imsatt/football/stats/?careerid=omavh11tc9vp9

Wimstatt seems like a talented QB that needed to sit a year or two so he could develop his skills

Gavin , in my opinion, couldn't be considered an accurate QB in high school
46-for-80 passing for 581 yards with six touchdowns his senior year in the three games before leaving to enroll early at Rutgers
this link shows his HS statistics ( but only one game as a senior, not the 3 he played)
https://www.maxpreps.com/ky/owensbo...imsatt/football/stats/?careerid=omavh11tc9vp9

Wimstatt seems like a talented QB that needed to sit a year or two so he could develop his skills

He had 25 TDs passing Jr year (and who knows how good his receivers were in HS) and AND he ran for 11 on 70 carries. I think Wimsatt is being uderused as a runner but maybe GS doesn't want him running much until he fills out more

bah, it's only a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty to rip someone's head off and shit down their neck. take the penalty, set the tone.
It's only a penalty when RU players do it. If a defender ripped of Gavin's head and shit down his neck, a flag would not be thrown.

He had 25 TDs passing Jr year (and who knows how good his receivers were in HS) and AND he ran for 11 on 70 carries. I think Wimsatt is being uderused as a runner but maybe GS doesn't want him running much until he fills out more
IS he running RPO? In which case I don’t think he makes the right call many times. Or are they set plays?

Reactions: ScarletNut
What Wimsatt understands well is not to throw interceptions. I think he sometimes places the ball where it won't be intercepted, but then our WRs can't catch it either. He does tend to throw high. For the Iowa game it is very important not to have turnovers. I have confidence in Wimsatt, seeing his good throws makes me think he is on the verge of being a good passer.

• Haha
Reactions: RUTGERS95
What Wimsatt understands well is not to throw interceptions. I think he sometimes places the ball where it won't be intercepted, but then our WRs can't catch it either. He does tend to throw high. For the Iowa game it is very important not to have turnovers. I have confidence in Wimsatt, seeing his good throws makes me think he is on the verge of being a good passer.
stop, just stop

he's made a lot of bad throws that should have been pics but were dropped or tipped etc. you're delusional or watching someone else. No one is going to say he understand well to not throw interceptions with the coverages he's throw in

Gavin is lanky with long arms.
He can have a high release point when he's rushing to throw.
From highlights I saw he had more time in HS.
DBs in HS are glacial compared to B1G.
Its easier for him to throw crossing routes than fly routes (multiple reasons for that)
When he runs he just eats real estate with those long strides

I don't think he's really been under that much pressure in the pocket do you? I mean I remember pre-Schiano QBs like Ryan Hart who was basically greeted at his drop back point in the pocket with two DL men.

I don't think he's really been under that much pressure in the pocket do you? I mean I remember pre-Schiano QBs like Ryan Hart who was basically greeted at his drop back point in the pocket with two DL men.

Pass blocking has been much better.
But there are other forms of pressure
If a QB looks at receiver and a DB or LB is over him in a flash then you know you cant take a lot of time.
Nova tended to underestimate how fast D1 secondary closed in on receivers.
He was used to throwing burners into coverage in HS where it worked.

Wimsatt is pretty smart imo and people underestimate how mental QB is.
They can see and notice things in a game that dont show on TV.
Some running QBs never get the mental down because they are always ready to scoot and aren't looking.

Gavin mentioned how Coach Rees at Notre Dame understood how things looked through QBs eyes

"Rees developing a relationship with Wimsatt played a major role in his interest with the Irish.

“He’s a great coach, great person,” Wimsatt said. “He actually played quarterback at Notre Dame, so that makes him different. He knows what everything looks like through a quarterback’s eyes. Even outside of football, because he was in that position at one point."

This (see pic) is also why he can overthrow sometimes - high release.
Drew Brees had a high release and it made up for being shorter - he got ball over LOS without blocks.
Gavin is high with long arms - touch an 8' ceiling and Wmtt can be releasing from that height. Doesn't mean he's a bad QB

9sc0hWu.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: RUScrew85
Ryan Cubit’s game was more like run for your life than take all the time you need when he was the starter.

Chad Schwenk might have deserved the staring role, but he left seeing the writing on wall with Ryan’s dad being the OC

I'm guessing he passed in all his classes as he was able to leave early for college! As for throwing the ball accurately......

Greg on accuracy - he mentions GW can be accurate in practice but can get off target when he's pressing

"Gavin Wimsatt showed improvement in his accuracy during the first week of training camp, but when it came to his first training camp scrimmage as a starter, the quarterback was up and down on that front.

That is according to head coach Greg Schiano, who said his redshirt sophomore signal-caller was “not as accurate as he was in practice” during a scrimmage in which he was “a little sped up” and “excited.” But to Wimsatt’s credit, he did not throw an interception in the intrasquad game and he “ran the offense.”

“Got us in and out of the plays we wanted to get in and out of,” Schiano said Saturday. “...(He’s improved) a lot (in his accuracy this offseason). That’s why a little of (his inaccuracy on Saturday) was surprising. But the most important thing was that he took care of the football because we will not turn the ball over.”

GOT TO PLAY IT OUT OF HIM

“Most important thing, he took care of the football. He seemed sped up at times, I think just excited. We got to play that out of him,” Schiano told reporters after the scrimmage.

“But he ran the offense, got us in and out of the plays we wanted to get in and out of. When I say sped (up), sometimes I think not as accurate as he was in practice but encouraged.”

Fixing a too high release point - work on the "pull down"

"If you release the football too early, the football will go high. If you release the football too late, the football will go down. This is why you want to get right on top of the football and pull down and get that nice effect to drive that football downward on the downward plane, and have the point of the football traveling upwards....

This is a great quarterback drill to emphasize proper throwing mechanics in the aspect of pulling the football downward, which a lot of quarterbacks don’t do. They have a high release but they release the ball too early and don’t understand that you have to get on top of the ball and pull it down.

SKYMASTER - the further the throw the easier to release too high

6LyJOVf.jpg

Reactions: rucoe89
Was it this past offseason or last year that GW had that deep TD pass in practice and everyone lost their minds over his accuracy?

Reactions: ashokan
Was it this past offseason or last year that GW had that deep TD pass in practice and everyone lost their minds over his accuracy?

I remember that vividly because I was more concerned than impressed.
The pass was around 35 yds and not as deep as some thought (camera POV was behind the QB).
I also saw that the pass was so high that it vanished from the frame.
I was like "this dude's passes sky and B1G DBs will run right under those."

I’d like to see GW get some training by a QB guru this off season. Improve that mechanics aspect of his game a lot and he could become our goat. Improve mechanics even a little and he could lead us to wins against the better teams in the B1G.

Reactions: NickRU714
I’d like to see GW get some training by a QB guru this off season. Improve that mechanics aspect of his game a lot and he could become our goat. Improve mechanics even a little and he could lead us to wins against the better teams in the B1G.

I wonder if Fridge or (hold onto your hats) Terry Shea would be interested.

nope, no pressure at all which makes his accuracy issues worse

I've beaten this dead horse for years but the fact we don't have a dedicated QB coach is beyond baffling.

We have a defensive HC, DC, CB, S, LB, DL
Offensive staff is OC/QB, RB, WR, TE, OL
I get wanting to split the 10 members staff evenly but the HC expertise sways it for me.
Especially since we've struggled on offense for so long.
Put extra resources on the offensive side of the ball.
  1. Why can't the DC also cover a unit - like the OC is required to do?
  2. Why can't HC Schiano help DC cover a unit?
  3. This would free up a spot for a dedicated QB coach.
I get that nearly no other schools do this.
But I don't really care. So what?
We've had minimal QB development for years.
Why not try something different and give the QBs every opportunity available to develop.

Reactions: RUScrew85
We've had minimal QB development for years.
I think GW has improved considerably from last season to this season. Sure, he needs plenty more work. But the difference is impressive.

If he is able to make similar improvement going into next season, I think he's going to have a very good season, assuming we can maintain or improve the OL production and improve the WR room a little.

Reactions: RU848789
I think GW has improved considerably from last season to this season. Sure, he needs plenty more work. But the difference is impressive.

If he is able to make similar improvement going into next season, I think he's going to have a very good season, assuming we can maintain or improve the OL production and improve the WR room a little.

Yes he's been better.
As posted above - Greg said he's accurate in practice but presses in games.
Greg said he 'just needs to play it out of him."
The unfortunate thing about football is that you play maybe a dozen games a year.
Learning to read/play under stress takes time.
I mean the guy misses one pass and some fans want to bench him for the next guy
I remember when people wanted Simon and he came in vs Iowa and had a pretty eratic game at 28/49 with 2 INTs.
There are no perfect QBs even in the B1G
Just have to roll with some foibles
Eli Manning overthrew like crazy
I'd also say to get a 6'2" WR with a 35+ vertical and catches with hands.
That really shouldn't be hard in B1G

Yes he's been better.
As posted above - Greg said he's accurate in practice but presses in games.
Greg said he 'just needs to play it out of him."
The unfortunate thing about football is that you play maybe a dozen games a year.
Learning to read/play under stress takes time.
I mean the guy misses one pass and some fans want to bench him for the next guy
I remember when people wanted Simon and he came in vs Iowa and had a pretty eratic game at 28/49 with 2 INTs.
There are no perfect QBs even in the B1G
Just have to roll with some foibles
I'd also say to get a 6'2" WR with a 35+ vertical and catches with hands.
That really shouldn't be hard in B1G

Sounds like my plan of using these last few games as prep for next year is exactly what's needed.
Go heavy pass plays and let GW work his way through mistakes now - while we're already bowl eligible.

Rather he make all the mistakes, throw the interceptions this year and then reduce the chances of making the same mistakes next year.

people are missing this- last year, you could have sworn that the kid had no hope. This year, he has a single issue- mostly throwing high. And he still takes some bad reads.
He has two more years to grow. What he did in a single year is so impressive. You would think we are so used to a 2nd year QB who is throwing for 3k yards and a 30/6 TD/Int ratio

Sounds like my plan of using these last few games as prep for next year is exactly what's needed.
Go heavy pass plays and let GW work his way through mistakes now - while we're already bowl eligible.

Rather he make all the mistakes, throw the interceptions this year and then reduce the chances of making the same mistakes next year.
No. Figure out how to win games any way they can Bring in a QB coach in off season to work in accuracy.

No. Figure out how to win games any way they can Bring in a QB coach in off season to work in accuracy.
People have suddenly forgotten that we are winning- and the coaches are winning games with the players we had last year. Sure- we could change the QB, sure, let's just let him sling it all over the field. Why not?

Well, because we would have 4 wins at most if they had done that.

Reactions: mildone and RU205
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT