ADVERTISEMENT

Hypothetical: Rutgers and a 1-and-done recruit?

Should Rutgets recruit players who are potential 1-and-done talent?

• Yes.

Votes: 59 71.1%
  • No.

Votes: 24 28.9%

• Total voters

NickRU714

Heisman Winner
Aug 18, 2009
Seems to be alot of moral outrage over Duke and UK and 1-and-done players.
Wondering how real this outrage is.

Simple question:

Should Rutgers recruit potential 1-and-done talent?
If a potential 1-and-done player wanted to come to Rutgers, should the staff accept him?

I'd rather build the program to be consistently very good, and then recruit a one-and-done player to get us to a spike. I think a one-and-done player is only beneficial when they join a team that is already very good. Right now a one-and-done player might help us for one year, but the following year we would be right back to mediocrity (or worse, as the players on the team would have spent a year playing around a superstar, rather than developing their own game).

Not me

If Naz Reid wanted to come to RU send a Helicopter to get him.

The answer is NO.
Not because we don't want a 1 and done, but why would we waste our time and resources recruiting something that right now is not a logical landing place for Rutgers.

Spend the time building relationships with kids like Paul Mulcahy.

Reactions: colbert17
The answer is NO.
Not because we don't want a 1 and done, but why would we waste our time and resources recruiting something that right now is not a logical landing place for Rutgers.

You did notice I said that " if he wanted to come " .

One-and-done's can be fool's gold. Ben Simmons did not take LSU to the Tournament, nor did Indian's Romeo Langford this year. If you've got a team stacked with one-and-done's like Duke and KY that's one thing. But, if you've got a lone one-and-done, it can really cause problems with team chemistry. So, it very much depends on the player, the team and the coach.

It is inconsistent with our overall academic mission.[/QUOTE

You make a good faith effort to get a kid like that . If he doesn't want to come that's fine but you have to make an attempt if for no other reason than fans don't want to hear from the kid " no Rutgers didn't contact me after my sophomore year " .

There's an old saying that if you aren't at the table you're on the menu .

Team Chemistry would be ruined. Important minutes for bench players diminished because you would want one and done on court as much as possible. Just dont see the upside to bringing someone in that isnt going to help the growth of the program for the long hall. Hell look how disruptive it was when Sanders "Tested the waters" each year. Makes for tougher recruiting for sure

Reactions: knight82
The answer is NO.

What is your issue with Paul Mulcahy?
You seem to infer such negativity toward that kid.....smh
Tough guy behind a computer- no accountability. Possibly let his friends and family know how you feel about the kid- in person.

Tough guy behind a computer- no accountability. Possibly let his friends and family know how you feel about the kid- in person.

This is not the post to have criticized FIG for an anti-Mulcahy bias; maybe other posts, but not this one. He's just saying that Mulcahy is a good 4-year player, and that's who we should be focusing on in recruiting. He's quite right in this respect.

I voted "yes" to the question whether we should "recruit" potential 1-and-done players (let's just say 5-star players). You HAVE to "recruit" them, if only to start being in the conversation with 5-star kids.

The key, of course, is to find the right kind of 5-star kid. You don't want a prima donna who's going to upset team chemistry. Instead, you want a kid like Romeo Langford who, by all accounts, was a good teammate.

Reactions: Scangg
If one is legitimately interested in coming here, sure. But don't waste time and resources trying to convince a guy. We were right to not put a lot into chasing the Ranney kids this year, for example.

The Romeo Langford situation isn't going to happen here. The dynamics of the state and what high school basketball means are completely different, to say nothing of the difference in history between Rutgers and Indiana. But if there's some 5-star guy out there who truly wants to blaze his own path like Sabrina Ionescu is doing for Oregon women's basketball then of course we take him.

Not chasing the Ranney kids this year ?

The recruiting process begins in the 7th and 8th grade for kids with Division 1 potential-----not just the 5 stars.

Not chasing the Ranney kids this year ?

The recruiting process begins in the 7th and 8th grade for kids with Division 1 potential-----not just the 5 stars.

I meant the Ranney kids graduating this year, not that we'd jump in as they were seniors. You're absolutely right that those bonds need to start forming early.

Whitehead was a five-star and ranked #15 overall. I know he ended up staying two years at SHU, but was a 1 and done threat coming out of HS.

One can argue he helped stabilize SHU recruiting for the next few years.

My youngest daughter is a graduate of Kentucky. She use to tell me that one thing that she didn't like about going to the basketball games is that you had to find out who was who all the time. There never was a situation where you knew the same players for a couple of years.

One and dones...every day of the week and twice on Sundays...no winning season since 2006 and no Ncaa since 91
Patience is a virtue that long suffering fans have seen enough of to last a life time.Winning, perception and recruiting are all linked and that is what separates the haves from the have nots.

PRYME, doesn't seem that GRF is anti-Mulcahy, only that we should temper our expectations, This board has been prone to that--it is a fan board, after all. Some posters were big on Thiam; some have been bullish on Doucore. I always thought Bullock could play, if he ever got in shape. We are fans, and prone to wishful thinking.
TL

Exactly.

We overate those who have never worn the uniform and underrate anyone who has played more than 1 2/3 seasons.

The road to turning the program around has already begun. We will not build it by beating the teams above us for recruits. We need guys with length, are coachable, and want to be here. If Paul Mulcahy was not at a Rutgers game last year it was because GSB had one. He is the exact type of person we want in this program.

With all that said I think it is doubtful he is the starting point guard, but I really hope he is because that would mean a lot.

Reactions: gregkoko
I think it depends on the situation of your team. I don't think you should ever necessarily turn down any sort of talent.

With a roster like we have now, and over the next few years, if you could find a 1-and-done type player, especially at a position of need to plug and play, how do you say no?

For example, with EO leaving after his senior year, and a very experienced team of seniors and juniors returning at every other position, you have to go all-in if there is that type of kid interested in your program.

On the other hand, we aren't a program of great stature currently, so I do believe we have to build the foundations with 4 year players and mainly look for those types of players.

Aren't the NBA and NCAA seriously considering ending this policy? $$$$

I've heard people speculate that 2022 will be the "double draft" - i.e. 1 and done college freshman plus H.S. seniors.

Have to watch what draft picks and protections do or don't get traded. You can infer when the teams think it happen.

What will everyone complain about then?
I'm sure people will still complain about "1 and done players".

Absolutely have to go recruit them. Especially local kids. Got to be in that conversation, make the rounds, make the final cut for a few of them. The right kid at the right time would put this team over the top

Tyus battle was considered a 1 and done potential candidate. I think he has played 3 years at Cuse now.

A 1 and done is like a transfer to give you lightning in a bottle. Get to the NCAAs with tv exposure and it will help you get over the hump on a recruit or 2 that you typically lose to a SHU or other team that makes the NCAAs.

When your team has 23 wins in a season vs 16 it leads to more ticket sales, more merchandise sales, and more athletic profits.

One and dones...every day of the week and twice on Sundays...no winning season since 2006 and no Ncaa since 91
I don't know if this can be RU's thing, it is fine for Duke and Kentucky,
because they can load up with 2 or more each year. I guess though a one
shot deal can bring a lot of attention to our program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT