ADVERTISEMENT

I have a sneaking suspicion…

Nov 16, 2016
That Rutgers has more NIL money than we let on.

Bailey, Harper, now Monangai…

Plus the fact that it never made sense to me when folks said we had no resources given how successful our alumni base tends to be (wall street, medicine, tech, etc.). I personally know 3 RU alums on Wall Street who donate heavily to athletics, and that’s just me.

There are plenty of people in our fanbase with money. Historically, they just haven’t wanted to use it to support Rutgers Athletics. Looks like that’s changing, thank God.

Reactions: DirtyRU
That Rutgers has more NIL money than we let on.

Bailey, Harper, now Monangai…

Plus the fact that it never made sense to me when folks said we had no resources given how successful our alumni base tends to be (wall street, medicine, tech, etc.). I personally know 3 RU alums on Wall Street who donate heavily to athletics, and that’s just me.
If we bring in one of those high quality QBs from the portal, I will believe that!

This makes me think about the thread on how RU fans/alumni/students need to lose the mindset of “questioning ourselves if we deserve it/belong” at the top. Rutgers has so much going for it, we are the biggest athletics school and major state university within 50 miles of the capital of the world. People from other Big Ten schools, plus UConn with their “sixth borough” and Syracuse’s painted “New York’s College Team” on their court can try to spin it all they want and make us doubt, but it’s not reality. WE are the awakening giant. We have alumni $$$$$ and big donors who arent all public. We are a top-15 national public university. Time to stop sticking our tail between our legs and showing pride in the things that we have that are as good and better than any one else

This makes me think about the thread on how RU fans/alumni/students need to lose the mindset of “questioning ourselves if we deserve it/belong” at the top. Rutgers has so much going for it, we are the biggest athletics school and major state university within 50 miles of the capital of the world. People from other Big Ten schools, plus UConn with their “sixth borough” and Syracuse’s painted “New York’s College Team” on their court can try to spin it all they want and make us doubt, but it’s not reality. WE are the awakening giant. We have alumni $$$$$ and big donors who arent all public. We are a top-15 national public university. Time to stop sticking our tail between our legs and showing pride in the things that we have that are as good and better than any one else
Funny, had a conversation with an acquaintance today who has a kid at James Madison University. I mentioned that their football coach moved to Indiana, and was probably making $5M/year.

He pivoted to saying that Schiano did not deserve $4M/year and that he is the highest paid NJ employee. I pointed out that the football program is responsible for bringing in about $70-90 million in media rights revenue that has to go to a bunch of non-revenue sports because of Title IX. And that Schiano is the lowest paid coach in the B1G. Then he threw in that Rutgers does not belong in the B1G.

This is a common public perception Rutgers is dealing with. I pointed out to him that we were on a good trajectory before Schiano left, and two poor hired caused the program to take a big step back, but that we were on our way up. He did not look convinced or impressed.

Rome wasn't built in a day, but it only took a few years for the last two coaches to nearly leave it in Ashes. We have the right coach to make us a respectable program in the B1G, and perhaps even be in the upper third of the B1G. Onward, upward.

Funny, had a conversation with an acquaintance today who has a kid at James Madison University. I mentioned that their football coach moved to Indiana, and was probably making $5M/year.

He pivoted to saying that Schiano did not deserve $4M/year and that he is the highest paid NJ employee. I pointed out that the football program is responsible for bringing in about $70-90 million in media rights revenue that has to go to a bunch of non-revenue sports because of Title IX. And that Schiano is the lowest paid coach in the B1G. Then he threw in that Rutgers does not belong in the B1G.

This is a common public perception Rutgers is dealing with. I pointed out to him that we were on a good trajectory before Schiano left, and two poor hired caused the program to take a big step back, but that we were on our way up. He did not look convinced or impressed.

Rome wasn't built in a day, but it only took a few years for the last two coaches to nearly leave it in Ashes. We have the right coach to make us a respectable program in the B1G, and perhaps even be in the upper third of the B1G. Onward, upward.
JMU’s acceptance rate is 86.3% so if you apply you get accepted, you need better acquaintances

Did you ask your colleague why he is paying over $30,000 in tuition to send his kid to an out of state school that has a national ranking of #124? That's a fair question given that he took a shot at Schiano.
JMU had the best looking women in VA when I was in school down there.

JMU’s acceptance rate is 86.3% so if you apply you get accepted, you need better acquaintances
Great Job Yes GIF by Hollywood Suite

Me thinks your friends kid may have gotten rejected by Rutgers.

Or maybe he did himself.

Always thought that was funny particularly if they mean NYC. If you use Google Maps starting at Times Square the distance from NYC to Penn St is 236 miles. From NYC to Syracuse University it's 249 miles.
If you like that fact, this one will blow you away.

The distance from NYC to College Park MD is 222 miles. The B1G has three schools closer to NYC than Syracuse.

Too many self loathing fans which comes from a self loathing New Jersey population. Wish they'd adopt more of a Philly or NYC personality where it's me against the world and have a bit more defensive hostility.

JMU had the best looking women in VA when I was in school down there.
That's fine and dandy but just make sure you have no plans to go to a top dollar grad school after graduation. You have a better grad school resume for Wharton/Harvard MBA or Hopkins Med School or Harvard/Yale Law School with Rutgers as your undergrad than JMU as your undergrad.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
I am about to step it too.
Awesome news
Spread the word to family, friends, seatmates, tailgating buddies, etc.

I told my neighbor about it the other day and he looked at me like i had 6 heads - then when we signed Dylan, he informed me (I already knew but didn't want to spoil his excitement), and asked if "this NIL thing had anything to do with it"

We absolutely deserve it
It's been long overdue
Great to see big things happening on the Banks !!

Reactions: Kbee3

Unfortunately JMU is like Liberty and UCF
A few years too late to the party

Unless Phil Knight or T Boone Pickens walks through the door, they will not be elite

Reactions: Knight Shift

Remind him it doesn’t matter what he thinks. It’s still happening

Remind him it doesn’t matter what he thinks. It’s still happening
And then thank him for his tax dollars helping fund the university & athletic dept (assuming he lives in NJ)

Buddy of mine is a big VT fan, upon leaving the game this year he was heated saying how bad Wel loss in the B1G

I smiled and graciously thanked him for helping pay Greg’s contract and for attending the game on a beautiful fall afternoon

Reactions: newell138
Is Dylan’s deal coming from Rutgers ? I thought Fanatics was paying him NIL?

Ace got 7 figures
I suspect Dylan got that or close
Already reported NIL played a role in the guys coming back for football
That 7 figures is your speculation I’m assuming.
“it’s been reported” “everyone knows”
Is not confirmation Jay.

Rutgers Football NIL first and foremost concentrates on keeping the guys we have.
You have to secure the return of Monangai and Toure before you pay someone in the portal

That 7 figures is your speculation I’m assuming.
“it’s been reported” “everyone knows”
Is not confirmation Jay.

Rutgers Football NIL first and foremost concentrates on keeping the guys we have.
You have to secure the return of Monangai and Toure before you pay someone in the portal
It’s been comfirmed on this site that Ace got seven figures

At the touchdown club meeting last year, Greg said at that time, we would need 6 million annually to compete simply to retain players, whereas Ohio State would need 13 million

I don’t know how accurate those numbers are, or how much these guys are getting paid, but it’s undeniable that they are back in large part of an NIL, as that is, what’s been reported

It’s been comfirmed on this site that Ace got seven figures

At the touchdown club meeting last year, Greg said at that time, we would need 6 million annually to compete simply to retain players, whereas Ohio State would need 13 million

I don’t know how accurate those numbers are, or how much these guys are getting paid, but it’s undeniable that they are back in large part of an NIL, as that is, what’s been reported
Confirmation on this site is not confirmation.

Confirmation on this site is not confirmation.
lol cmon Zap

You and I both know Ace was not going anywhere for free, and he was going to command a hefty amount

There is no reason for Richie, or anyone else on here in the know to lie or mislead about what he received

If we’re questioning what has been confirmed on this site by people who run it say, then, honestly, why are we even on this site when there are others that we can get her information from?

lol cmon Zap

You and I both know Ace was not going anywhere for free, and he was going to command a hefty amount

There is no reason for Richie, or anyone else on here in the know to lie or mislead about what he received

If we’re questioning what has been confirmed on this site by people who run it say, then, honestly, why are we even on this site when there are others that we can get her information from?
My only point is our mods don’t have any inside information on NIL amounts or where it comes from.
Yes I do know retention of players is the football version of NIL, we are not as yet able to enter bidding wars for portal players to come here

My only point is our mods don’t have any inside information on NIL amounts or where it comes from.
Yes I do know retention of players is the football version of NIL, we are not as yet able to enter bidding wars for portal players to come here
All I know is Richie (I think it was him)
previously confirmed it

Truthfully, I don’t care if if it came from a large donor, KOR, or the mailman, I only care about ace coming here, producing, and putting basketball at an elite level

Assuming Ace and or Dylan end up being a top 10 (likely Top 5) pick in the NBA Draft. Every single penny of those 7 figures will be worth the marketing alone for Rutgers.

Not to mention it could pay dividends (in terms of donations by others/Ace/Dylan) down the line depending on how his professional career progress.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see teams move down a level for football and focus on other sports (in the future) considering you could probably land a Top 5 class in basketball for the price of running a middle of the pack P5 football team.

Schools like UConn and eventually the ACC leftovers will be in peril once revenue sharing becomes a thing.

That's when Rutgers will really start separating itself from it's Northeast peers. That T.V deal is a game changer.

I wonder if Murphy has helped in this regard as well. Politics aside, let’s not forget he was a Wall Street big wig in his day and does seem to genuinely be interested in RU athletics.
Doubt he gives his own $. If he did you'd hear about it loud and clear.

Rutgers was traditionally its own worst enemy. The administration (faculty) did all it could to keep the athletics operating at an Ivy level financially. The state treated its state school like a step child. Add that we are surrounded with pro teams for fans to lock onto and you had a toxic cocktail.
As a teacher, I would ask my students if they even knew the name of the state university and most had no idea.
Compare this to the schools that are traditionally at the top of the heap in football and you see an environment that is totally involved from a very early age. Money has always been available (usually illegally) to star players and coaches and facilities provided to keep the ball rolling. These are the programs that fire coaches who do not get the teams into the national championship conversation. Look at PSU and OSU right now!
RU is certainly in a much better situation than it has ever been and looking at financial windfalls due to landing in the BiG. But, we still have miles to go to get even somewhat close to the schools that have pretty much been there from the get go.

• Love
Reactions: RUTGERS95
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT