ADVERTISEMENT

If Chris Ash fails, so does Rutgers AD Pat Hobbs | Politi

It does not. But there are some who think otherwise.

There’s a few things I saw this year that pulverized all my support for Ash:

-playing Sitkowski the entire year. The Kansas game was a complete and utter debacle and really showed this kid was not ready whatsoever to play this year. I saw some people post, ‘we didn’t have a better option in this offense’...you f’n kidding me? A parking cone may have been a better option, nevermind another person.

-the team looking like complete, disinterested garbage for 2/3 of the year with minimal improvement. Kansas game effectively ended the season and IMO Ash’s tenure here. Buffalo and Illinois pretty much pulverized the remains. There’s no coming back from that IMO.

-recruiting going from bad to worse to terrible to FCS teams are laughing at us.

-hey, Pacheco looks pretty good...let’s play him once every Olympiad, that’ll help.

-our offense being so terrible that posters actually think 260 yards passing is something to celebrate.

-Our WR’s apparently playing Battleship or Monopoly in practice when it comes to their on-field performances and production.

Joe P.

Last edited:
If it's true that Ash is coming back, and it's his call, then if Ash doesn't turn it around it will be on Hobbs. But if fundraising, facilities and other sports -- specifically men's basketball -- are moving in the right direction, I don't know if I want Hobbs gone. But an associate AD with more of a P5 football background in the next office would be swell.

Reactions: RUskoolie
The "Hobbs must go" sentiment frequently seen on this board is difficult to comprehend. Although I'd like to see a new coach this year, I understand the logic behind giving Ash one more year.

What I don't understand is that, if the decision has been made, why not announce it now? Is Hobbs making sure that Saturday isn't another blowout, and then maybe recycling on the decision? If not, why not a low key, "He's coming back." By waiting until the season is over, and if we get blown out on Saturday, just makes life harder for Hobbs. I'm thinking it is not a totally totally done deal.

Hobbs is preparing a list of every P5 coach who won only one game in Year 3 but ended up with a career winning record at that school. He’s working very, very hard on that list to support his “I’m with Chris” billboards on the Turnpike. #SAD

Totally rebuilding a football program is tough work and takes longer than one wants. Every year a new OC and a true freshman QB and this is what happens. You have to stick with these people because if you fire them, you are starting over and it gets a whole lot worse. Now, can he recruit some big DTs to stop getting run over.

Get Schiano or Monken and that all changes overnight.

Ash has zero charisma and is a terrible coach. That’s not going to change. You are riding a horse that’s never going to win a race. Hope and wish in one hand and crap in your other hand and see which on fills up first.

Hobbs was a Christie butt buddy from Seton Hall Law School.
Barchi owes his original fat contract to Christie. Barchi felt obligated to hire Christie’s Seton Hall friend who helped him a little coverup Bridgegate issue.

But Christie is now gone. Eventually Barchi will retire.
Then the next President might actually hire an AD w football experience who might hire a competent D1 coaching staff.

Whoever buys season tickets w this coaching staff , AD and President should consider themselves Suckers of the highest degree.

After 4 decades of season tickets, I’m done w season tickets, but will come to the occasional game and buy for $7 a game on the secondary market.

FIFY

The "Hobbs must go" sentiment frequently seen on this board is difficult to comprehend. Although I'd like to see a new coach this year, I understand the logic behind giving Ash one more year.

What I don't understand is that, if the decision has been made, why not announce it now? Is Hobbs making sure that Saturday isn't another blowout, and then maybe recycling on the decision? If not, why not a low key, "He's coming back." By waiting until the season is over, and if we get blown out on Saturday, just makes life harder for Hobbs. I'm thinking it is not a totally totally done deal.

The big issue with keeping him for next year is that most indicators show it’s going to fail. Can anyone tell me what’s going to be different on offense next year so that we won’t be complete garbage that can’t score more than 7-17 points a game? We’re like a car with every warning light on and a smoking engine; you don’t try and take that car to Disney World. Keeping him also pretty much totals 2 recruiting classes- 2019 and 2020, leaving the next guy in a 100-foot hole that doesn’t have to be.

Joe P.

I also would assume that the lack of announcement means that no decision has been made to retain Ash. Earlier this year, when there was hope for this season, Hobbs had no problem sending out a quick tweet to indicate that Ash was not on the hot seat. Especially with all the media attention now, I would have expected Hobbs to send a similar tweet or make some sort of announcement. The lack of announcement seems to indicate that no final decision has been made, or the decision has been made to fire Ash and Hobbs is waiting until after the MSU game to announce it.

As far as understanding the logic to retain Ash, if that is the decision, that only makes sense if Hobbs thinks there is a real possibility of Ash turning it around and being successful. Other than small improvement in the defense over the last few games, there is no evidence in recruiting or game play that indicates that anything is turning around.

The big issue with keeping him for next year is that most indicators show it’s going to fail. Can anyone tell me what’s going to be different on offense next year so that we won’t be complete garbage that can’t score more than 7-17 points a game? We’re like a car with every warning light on and a smoking engine; you don’t try and take that car to Disney World. Keeping him also pretty much totals 2 recruiting classes- 2019 and 2020, leaving the next guy in a 100-foot hole that doesn’t have to be.

Joe P.
You seem really down on the program. So down, that you spent Thanksgiving Day/night writing a quite insulting narrative about the team. Yes, this was a bad season, but things can't get worse, and they will likely improve. How much? We shall see

I was reading about Purdue last night and how at the end of 2015, Darell Hazell fired his OC and a bunch of other coaches. In one of the interviews of the fired OC (can't find it), he talked about how young the offense was- full of freshmen.

Kratch wrote a piece today talking about how we return 11 starters on offense. In McNulty's last presser, he talked about how he thought there were a couple of freshman receivers that will break through next year.

I am not saying there is going to be a night and day difference, but there should be improvement. I wonder how long McNulty and Ash will keep their wagon hitched to Sitkowski if he does not show improvement in his pocket presence and decision making.

Wonder if Hobbs will break from his policy that he evaluates coaches at year end of the team looks absolutely horrid in the first 4-6 games. Purdue fired Hazell in 2016 after 6 games, but they had a relatively new AD:
https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...fires-football-coach-darrell-hazell/92203938/

On Sunday, however, the tone remained somber. Bobinski, Parker and Daniels spoke of their respect for Hazell as a person and the impact his removal will leave on the players in the locker room. Bobinski said he would have preferred not to make the change mid-season.
By halftime Saturday, he felt he had no choice.
"I felt like we had found ourselves as a program and as a team stuck in this see-saw of playing reasonably well and then falling backwards — a pattern that just didn't seem to have an end to it at this point," Bobinski said. "For me it was about finding a way to allow our team to have the vert best chance for success. Our upper class, in particular our seniors, they deserve the opportunity to make something of this year and to be part of the return to success of Purdue football.
"In my heart, I just didn't see that happening as we were currently headed, without making a change."

That bolded portion sounds familiar, at least respect to the 2 year stretch from last year to this year with respect to the defense. The offense, as we know, has been terrible. I am hopeful that 2 years in the same system will allow McNulty to do more with 10 players having 2 years in the same system.

In the end, even if the year is another fail, analogizing to Purdue, Brohm made a noticeable impact in his first year with a bunch of experienced players.

So, while some folks moan and groan and think we are doomed and that a new coach will have a huge hole to dig out of, I don't see it that way. The right offensive-minded coach can get the team moving in the right direction in 2020. And I am not throwing away the 2018 season-the previous statement is based on the hypothesis that IF 2019 is another failed season.

Knight Shift - you covered the O for next year, but what about the D? Is it true that you didn't want to comment there because Ash is working you out at DT and checking your eligibility?

Only at Rutgers would the mindset be..yup,we are keeping a head Coach next season that we know is going to suck,waste money on shuffling Asst coaches for a year,have bottom three recruiting in B10 and strip down the season ticket base to 5k..
Only at RU would some in the fan base also support the AD and anti athletics President who put out this agenda.
#Horrible.

Time to clean house. Fire all of them.

What’s the definition of insanity?

Don’t renew your season tickets folks. Burn the whole thing down. Start over in 2020.

This.
The return of Ash will spell financial ruin to the likes that the RU Athletics Department has never seen before. If Hobbs is not pulling every lever and considering every option { sources of funds/ Donors} because of his insistence on sticking with “his guy” than he needs to go to. If not, welcome to an empty HPSS next Fall.

You seem really down on the program. So down, that you spent Thanksgiving Day/night writing a quite insulting narrative about the team. Yes, this was a bad season, but things can't get worse, and they will likely improve. How much? We shall see

I was reading about Purdue last night and how at the end of 2015, Darell Hazell fired his OC and a bunch of other coaches. In one of the interviews of the fired OC (can't find it), he talked about how young the offense was- full of freshmen.

Kratch wrote a piece today talking about how we return 11 starters on offense. In McNulty's last presser, he talked about how he thought there were a couple of freshman receivers that will break through next year.

I am not saying there is going to be a night and day difference, but there should be improvement. I wonder how long McNulty and Ash will keep their wagon hitched to Sitkowski if he does not show improvement in his pocket presence and decision making.

Wonder if Hobbs will break from his policy that he evaluates coaches at year end of the team looks absolutely horrid in the first 4-6 games. Purdue fired Hazell in 2016 after 6 games, but they had a relatively new AD:
https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...fires-football-coach-darrell-hazell/92203938/

On Sunday, however, the tone remained somber. Bobinski, Parker and Daniels spoke of their respect for Hazell as a person and the impact his removal will leave on the players in the locker room. Bobinski said he would have preferred not to make the change mid-season.
By halftime Saturday, he felt he had no choice.
"I felt like we had found ourselves as a program and as a team stuck in this see-saw of playing reasonably well and then falling backwards — a pattern that just didn't seem to have an end to it at this point," Bobinski said. "For me it was about finding a way to allow our team to have the vert best chance for success. Our upper class, in particular our seniors, they deserve the opportunity to make something of this year and to be part of the return to success of Purdue football.
"In my heart, I just didn't see that happening as we were currently headed, without making a change."

That bolded portion sounds familiar, at least respect to the 2 year stretch from last year to this year with respect to the defense. The offense, as we know, has been terrible. I am hopeful that 2 years in the same system will allow McNulty to do more with 10 players having 2 years in the same system.

In the end, even if the year is another fail, analogizing to Purdue, Brohm made a noticeable impact in his first year with a bunch of experienced players.

So, while some folks moan and groan and think we are doomed and that a new coach will have a huge hole to dig out of, I don't see it that way. The right offensive-minded coach can get the team moving in the right direction in 2020. And I am not throwing away the 2018 season-the previous statement is based on the hypothesis that IF 2019 is another failed season.

While my post or 2 from last night wasn’t hours-long in the making, you are correct that I’m extremely down on the program right now and quite frankly don’t believe a word of what the staff is saying publicly in terms of ‘being close’ or ‘this guy will break through’ or anything of that nature. I heard that all for this year and we looked like a joke half of the time. I do think the Hazell/ Purdue comparison can be accurate (big IF on us hiring the right type of coach too), but it’s hard to invest any type of faith into this staff turning anything around. I’m no QB guru but I honestly don’t see Art as a viable long-term starter at this level at all.

Joe P.

While my post or 2 from last night wasn’t hours-long in the making, you are correct that I’m extremely down on the program right now and quite frankly don’t believe a word of what the staff is saying publicly in terms of ‘being close’ or ‘this guy will break through’ or anything of that nature. I heard that all for this year and we looked like a joke half of the time. I do think the Hazell/ Purdue comparison can be accurate (big IF on us hiring the right type of coach too), but it’s hard to invest any type of faith into this staff turning anything around. I’m no QB guru but I honestly don’t see Art as a viable long-term starter at this level at all.

Joe P.
I think I agree with you on Art. I don't like to call out players individually, but it's tough not to talk about Art because he is the elephant in the room. We have discussed the problems with WRs and the OL not helping Art out, but the Penn State game really soured me on Art. I thought he had turned the corner after the Maryland game, and he showed some promise in the NW, Wisconsin and Michigan games in at least addressing his INT issues.

But this may have been a McNulty mirage, as they were really not doing much downfield passing-most of the passing was screens/short yardage.

I am not as down on McNulty as others. He is working with a broken offense and a lot of young players. If anything, he has been creative. And Pacheco needs to be used more, but he is still learning run blocking, and IIRC, he has had a couple of fumbles. Like or not, Blackshear is still our best all around offensive weapon. I think Pacheco will only get better with experience.

As to the QB, this will be the million dollar question next year. I have posted in other threads that it befuddles me that that they do not want to utilize a QB with more mobility. I will get yelled at by this by my fan club, but I really liked what I saw in Cooper Heisey's film. Yeah, his offer list was not impressive. I also tend to think that if Zamar Wise sticks, he and/or Chatman may challenge Art for the starting job.

McNulty is not stupid. I doubt he is going to stick with Art if his same problems persist. That sentence will be used used for thread bumps next year if I am wrong- for sure.

Reactions: JoeRU0304
Only at Rutgers would the mindset be..yup,we are keeping a head Coach next season that we know is going to suck,waste money on shuffling Asst coaches for a year,have bottom three recruiting in B10 and strip down the season ticket base to 5k..
Only at RU would some in the fan base also support the AD and anti athletics President who put out this agenda.
#Horrible.
But Field Hockey, Women's Soccer, and Wrestling are all looking good. Our car may be a smoldering, broken down heap, but our taillights are top-notch.

McNulty is not stupid. I doubt he is going to stick with Art if his same problems persist. That sentence will be used used for thread bumps next year if I am wrong- for sure.

Did you listen to his last presser? He was asked about offenses that featured the run (MD, etc.) And he said, yes those could work, we could actually make that switch fairly easily as the blocking schemes are similar, but he was all in on a vertical passing game and didn't see us ever going run heavy.

Pretty much every QB on our roster, or in the pipeline, is good at running first. Except Art and that kid who has an offer from Maine.

It's madness.

But Field Hockey, Women's Soccer, and Wrestling are all looking good. Our car may be a smoldering, broken down heap, but our taillights are top-notch.
So is MLAX, WBB and some say MBB as well. We also have some individuals making noise in B1G Track & Field.

And if you’re taillights are out you ether get a ticket or in an accident.

Did you listen to his last presser? He was asked about offenses that featured the run (MD, etc.) And he said, yes those could work, we could actually make that switch fairly easily as the blocking schemes are similar, but he was all in on a vertical passing game and didn't see us ever going run heavy.

Pretty much every QB on our roster, or in the pipeline, is good at running first. Except Art and that kid who has an offer from Maine.

It's madness.
Everything will be evaluated-scheme and personnel.

Needs to be more competition in QB room. Was not there this year:

Here is the question you referenced:
Depends on personnel across the board. "With what we are doing RIGHT NOW." Lately, we have been trying to do more things. May not go THAT extreme. We can't exist, I don't think like Maryland. Pass game is #1 deal.

So is MLAX, WBB and some say MBB as well. We also have some individuals making noise in B1G Track & Field.

And if you’re taillights are out you ether get a ticket or in an accident.
We're drag racing against big block Chevys, and Honda-boy is worried about getting a ticket for a bad tail light. Is that why they upgrade the tail lights and exhaust tips before worrying about making more power?

We're drag racing against big block Chevys, and Honda-boy is worried about getting a ticket for a bad tail light. Is that why they upgrade the tail lights and exhaust tips before worrying about making more power?
They have the bigger bank account for one and two they have been on the circuit that much longer. When we get the first we can get a pit crew to do the second.

I can’t talk/type/explain it any slower than that. Sorry.

Reactions: SkilletHead2

Joe P.
We're about to finish in the bottom 10 in passing offense for the third straight year, and the only constant is Ash.

Reactions: RUskoolie

Joe P.
First, keeping him one more year would not ruin two years' worth of recruiting classes. That is simply illogical. Second, we have been playing better than expected the past three games. If we continue that on Saturday, it makes the argument more complicated. Third, next year we will have the same OC for two years in a row for years. Pacheco and Blackshear are back. Fourth, our depth chart on offense has very few seniors on it. Mostly underclassmen.

I don't think we're going to a bowl next year. I think 4-8 with only one or two bad losses is about where we'll be. And I think if that is the case, and if recruiting is weak, Ash will go then.

I'd rather have him go now, but I understand the arguments for keeping him. I don't think they win the day, but I understand them. Optics politically are terrible for firing him. And our fan base isn't a strong enough factor to overcome those optics. At an Auburn or Tennessee, the fans are powerful enough to dictate when they are really upset. We aren't anywhere near that.

But, ultimately, the point in this thread is not about Ash; it's about Hobbs. I, too, want Ash to go, but firing Hobbs would be incredibly stupid. He has re-organized the athletic department, raised a ton of money, made a great hire in MBB, kept a legendary coach wisely in WBB, and improved most of our minor sports. He has made one bad hire. We've all made mistakes. The hierarchy apparently feel they are stuck with him for one more year. So be it. The notion that "he can't hire a football coach because X, Y, Z," is ridiculous. Half the guys on this board could hire the next football coach. Hell, I desperately wanted Babers last time and look how good he turned out. You think I could be the AD? Not a chance in hell, and I've held senior management positions in universities and major non-profits.

Ash will be the Rutgers head coach in 2019.

Not sure why that's so difficult for people to process. Outside of being forced to fire him "for cause," there was never any possibility of a change.

I'm not happy, but I'm "on board."

Reactions: Knight Shift
First, keeping him one more year would not ruin two years' worth of recruiting classes. That is simply illogical. Second, we have been playing better than expected the past three games. If we continue that on Saturday, it makes the argument more complicated. Third, next year we will have the same OC for two years in a row for years. Pacheco and Blackshear are back. Fourth, our depth chart on offense has very few seniors on it. Mostly underclassmen.

I don't think we're going to a bowl next year. I think 4-8 with only one or two bad losses is about where we'll be. And I think if that is the case, and if recruiting is weak, Ash will go then.

I'd rather have him go now, but I understand the arguments for keeping him. I don't think they win the day, but I understand them. Optics politically are terrible for firing him. And our fan base isn't a strong enough factor to overcome those optics. At an Auburn or Tennessee, the fans are powerful enough to dictate when they are really upset. We aren't anywhere near that.

But, ultimately, the point in this thread is not about Ash; it's about Hobbs. I, too, want Ash to go, but firing Hobbs would be incredibly stupid. He has re-organized the athletic department, raised a ton of money, made a great hire in MBB, kept a legendary coach wisely in WBB, and improved most of our minor sports. He has made one bad hire. We've all made mistakes. The hierarchy apparently feel they are stuck with him for one more year. So be it. The notion that "he can't hire a football coach because X, Y, Z," is ridiculous. Half the guys on this board could hire the next football coach. Hell, I desperately wanted Babers last time and look how good he turned out. You think I could be the AD? Not a chance in hell, and I've held senior management positions in universities and major non-profits.

I think you make a lot of great points but this year’s recruiting class is pretty much tanked and if Ash stays, next year’s will likely be lousy unless we end up with a crackerjack hire. I agree that Hobbs hasn’t done anything yet that would warrant him being let go but right now his football hire is going down in flames (and taking whatever’s left of the program with him) and in this day and age at the P5 level, it just about puts 1 foot out the door.

Joe P.

Yes, he does.

You’re not getting his point.

Not sure why that's so difficult for people to process. Outside of being forced to fire him "for cause," there was never any possibility of a change.

I think you're right 17Q66, my only question is why not make the announcement a week or two ago in a lesser pressurized situation. Hobbs is clever enough to know that. Either they were still thinking about what to do then, or they are thinking about it now, or Hobbs thinks the "fire Ash" heat isn't all that great.

It’s not a matter of ‘not processing’ IMO, it’s a matter of being extremely dissatisfied with how the school is handling this. I’m not happy with it nor am I “on board”, which is why my season tickets are getting cancelled/ not renewed. In the grand scheme of things 1 guy with 2 tickets is ‘nobody’...but a few thousand+ ‘nobodies’ add up to a big ‘somebody’. I hope Hobbs is prepared for 10-20k Rutgers fans at the Stadium next fall...

Joe P.

Last edited:
Reactions: MoobyCow
I think you're right 17Q66, my only question is why not make the announcement a week or two ago in a lesser pressurized situation. Hobbs is clever enough to know that. Either they were still thinking about what to do then, or they are thinking about it now, or Hobbs thinks the "fire Ash" heat isn't all that great.

SkilletHead2 - here is your answer. Hobbs is clever enough to know that he's setting a bad precedent if he makes the announcement before the end of the season and then we get a repeat situation next year and he wants to wait until the end of the season.

Not sure why that's so difficult for people to process."

It’s difficult to process if you have watched the bottom fall out of an already terrible football program under Ash. From recruiting to player development to gameday decision making and coaching— his tenure has been marked by incompetence.

In absence of an official endorsement by Hobbs, based on the available evidence, there is still reason to hope that Ash will not coach in 2019.

Wrong. Keeping Ash ruins the 2019 Class and basically ruins 2020 as Recruits know Ash is a lame duck Coach. Bring in quality HC and watch what happens to RU recruiting.

C'mon Abro, "butt buddy?" You are better than that.

Hobbs is a Democrat.

Here is a video interview right after he was named to the job of ombudsman.
https://www.njtvonline.org/news/video/patrick-hobbs/#.U3KlmxJP0LU.twitter

He was also serving on the State Commission of Investigation, appointed by Gov. McGreevey. The article, linked below, says Hobbs is a Democrat. Christie appointed Hobbs to Chair the SCI in 2011.

Deans of Law Schools are typically appointed to these types of positions.
https://www.nj.com/politics/index.s...istie_names_seton_hall_dean_as_ombudsman.html

Obviously, the pitchfork and fire crowd wants to tar and feather Hobbs and run him out of town. But at least get your facts straight.
Don't ruin a good screed by citing facts. It's bad form.

Reactions: Knight Shift
This article is dumb. Hobbs isn’t going anywhere. This isn’t Alabama where football means everything.

The Rutgers AD job entails much more. Like fundraising. See how he is doing there

Reactions: rutgersal
This article is dumb. Hobbs isn’t going anywhere. This isn’t Alabama where football means everything.

The Rutgers AD job entails much more. Like fundraising. See how he is doing there
like the basketball performance center that Ray Lesniak actualy got the majority of the funds from the state to build it,not Hobbs?

Reactions: NotInRHouse
We just can't seem to get a good OL coach...I just don't remember one that jumps out at me to think wow
101714-FSO-CFB-Kyle-Flood.vadapt.620.high.41.jpg

It’s not a matter of ‘not processing’ IMO, it’s a matter of being extremely dissatisfied with how the school is handling this. I’m not happy with it nor am I “on board”, which is why my season tickets are getting cancelled/ not renewed. In the grand scheme of things 1 guy with 2 tickets is ‘nobody’...but a few thousand+ ‘nobodies’ add up to a big ‘somebody’. I hope Hobbs is prepared for 10-20k Rutgers fans at the Stadium next fall...

Joe P.
He is.

I think it's a Schembechler "those who stay will be champions" kind of thing.

This.
The return of Ash will spell financial ruin to the likes that the RU Athletics Department has never seen before. If Hobbs is not pulling every lever and considering every option { sources of funds/ Donors} because of his insistence on sticking with “his guy” than he needs to go to. If not, welcome to an empty HPSS next Fall.

Spoiler alert. The stadium is already empty. Welcome to 8000 less suckers buying tickets next year. Or more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT