ADVERTISEMENT

If Kelly goes to LSU, Urban Meyer to Notre Dame

Fisher's A&M contract reset the market and other ADs/donors are just following along. They don't have the spine to realize it's more than likely not a good business decision. Too much desperation and FOMO which really shouldn't be there.

I've said it before...schools and ADs got the catbird's seat with big jobs and big money but instead act like it's an electric chair they have coax coaches into sitting. It's crazy. It's in their blood and like a drug for a lot of these guys and the schools have it and there are only so many of them, especially in the P5. No reason to leave all financial sensibility behind.

What's even dumber is that what's the point of a 10 year contract? You'd think to lock someone up for a duration right? Well it doesn't even do that in a lot of these instances. Fisher can leave A&M at any time with no buyout. On the other hand A&M owes him everything if he's fired. He's not won the SEC west, the SEC, made playoffs or national championship at A&M. Think about that lol. He should have done some of these things multiple times at those prices/terms. Tucker has like 2.5M buyout if he leaves iirc but the school owes him everything if he's fired. 1 good year lol nothing proven yet. Franklin has a somewhat prohibitive buyout the first couple years but then after that it's not much of an issue and again the school owes him everything if he's fired.

So then I ask WTF is the point of a 10 year contract when essentially a coach can leave almost instantly with no big penalty. What the hell do you need to do a 10 year deal for, it's serving no purpose other than to make the coach richer no matter what. 10 years or whatever many years is usually not worth paper it's written on except for the coach/agent.

I say it all the time...heads I win tails you lose and ADs and donors are thank you sir may I have another. If I'm an AD I let them go, you're more than likely to be on the plus side. Just a small handful of guys bring the results that are worthy of the salary.
You’re looking at it from a business perspective. In many of these cases it’s very wealthy donors buying what they want. Intelligent business decisions have nothing to do with it. They are simply buying what they want and that’s the value to them.

We really are reaching peak college football. This isn’t sustainable.

I'd definitely kick the tires on Pete Carroll. He still has enough energy and name recognition to be a great college coach and its seems that the Seahawks run has reached its end.

I'd definitely kick the tires on Pete Carroll. He still has enough energy and name recognition to be a great college coach and its seems that the Seahawks run has reached its end.
Do you really think he would leave Seattle for less money? He is making $14 million until 2025. Plus he is 70. At this stage in his life would he really want to move and start over?

Reactions: Scarlet1984
Why would Kelly leave after a great season in 2021?

He beat some ACC Cupcakes and Stanford in a down year including not playing in the ACC Championship game....and is still in the running for the CFB Playoff.
$$$$$$$$

You’re looking at it from a business perspective. In many of these cases it’s very wealthy donors buying what they want. Intelligent business decisions have nothing to do with it. They are simply buying what they want and that’s the value to them.

We really are reaching peak college football. This isn’t sustainable.
I agree there's very little business sense in most of it. But what's the goal? To create a winner right? Smart business decisions and use of capital can lead to that...dumb decisions and gambles more likely leads 10s of millions lost in termination fees.

I can actually wrap my head around paying these crazy amounts/lengths to a Kelly or Riley but some other deals are just ludicrous even at smaller figures. Mindlessly, throwing away money doesn't lead to the ultimate goal of trying to win. Being wise with your money and resources might.

I agree there's very little business sense in most of it. But what's the goal? To create a winner right? Smart business decisions and use of capital can lead to that...dumb decisions and gambles more likely leads 10s of millions lost in termination fees.

I can actually wrap my head around paying these crazy amounts/lengths to a Kelly or Riley but some other deals are just ludicrous even at smaller figures. Mindlessly, throwing away money doesn't lead to the ultimate goal of trying to win. Being wise with your money and resources might.
I can’t speak about LSU but I can tell you that the SC boosters involved are either millionaires many x over or billionaires. They are over paying for something they want. But they don’t care. In the grand scheme it’s a rounding error.

The guy standing next to Riley at his presser is Rick Caruso. He’s worth $6 billion. All he wants to do is win. A $20MM payout doesn’t doesn’t matter when it comes to that goal.

I can’t speak about LSU but I can tell you that the SC boosters involved are either millionaires many x over or billionaires. They are over paying for something they want. But they don’t care. In the grand scheme it’s a rounding error.

The guy standing next to Riley at his presser is Rick Caruso. He’s worth $6 billion. All he wants to do is win. A $20MM payout doesn’t doesn’t matter when it comes to that goal.
And that is why college football is becoming more so like pro football. Pro franchises and college programs are now mere toys for the super rich. When they were kids, they were fighting each other with action figures. The only thing that has changed is now the action figures are 18-22 year old men.

Kelly trying to keep the band together. Rees is a ND grad and former qb for Kelly, would he leave his alma mater? Unless he gets the HC spot no way to know if the next coach would keep him. Same for Freeman, although Cincy HC spot could be in his future if ND turns to Fickell.

Last edited:
Kelly trying to keep the band together. Rees is a ND grad and former qb for Kelly, would he leave his alma mater? Unless he gets the HC spot no way to know if the next coach would keep him. Same for Freeman, although Cincy HC spot could be in his future if ND turns to Fickell.

Freeman will be the first phone call Cincinnati makes if Fickell leaves.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
And that is why college football is becoming more so like pro football. Pro franchises and college programs are now mere toys for the super rich. When they were kids, they were fighting each other with action figures. The only thing that has changed is now the action figures are 18-22 year old men.
Right. It’s all going to peak soon. I think this is it. But never underestimate wealthy people to buy what they want. Only now there are only a handful of teams they can do that.

Maybe this is a wake up call to Notre Dame to join the Big 10. When any program can steal the most storied football program’s head coach — you know you’ve fallen down a notch.

Reactions: Rufaninga
I hate to think of it but a good coach for ND woukd Army's Monken. I know he runs the option but so did Holtz when he won NC. Teams are half way back to the option anyway. Monken takes recruting leftovers and takes Oklahoma and Michigan to OT, and loses to Wisconsin by 6 points (and he beat Florida with Georgia Southern). If ND can't get the top athletes due to weak academic file, then let them do option variation (you can pass with the option) . Its not like ND will miss out on Trevor Lawrence. Monken is smartest football coach I've seen when it comes to leveraging what you have against what you dont.
Notre Dame is a elite college football program.Winning a national championship is very difficult for a independent team because they don't play for a league championship.

Meh. That might be how Urban feels right this moment. Or not. People change their minds all the time.

I mostly don't trust anonymous sources about that sort of stuff. What is Meyer gonna say? "I hate my current job and can't wait to do something else"?

Silly article.
I don’t expect him to leave Jax so soon. As to what he feel right now that’s true but the main thing for these guys is can they find something to replace the drug of coaching. In UM’s case I think the answer is yes…he was very good at TV. Much better than Stoops and Petersen IMO. So you can never say never but I think he’s got a legitimate alternative to coaching.

Reactions: mildone
Urban isn't going anywhere and ND is no longer a big time job. Nobody can win the big one at ND
Define win big? ND went 11-1 in a rebuilding year. They might not have won it all, but the did play for a BCS title and made
two playoffs. 95% of BCS teams would love to win as little as ND does.

Except that the owners wealth has very little to do with the amount of revenue each NFL team makes - the league shares the TV money - and then there is a salary cap for the players and teams are slotted in the draft. To me, NCAA football is so slanted towards the wealthy - boosters, recruiting and now with the "NIL" on top of the transfer portal the rich get richer while the sick stay poor (we are in the sick category - financially speaking)

Notre dame fans are going to be rooting for kelly to get the LSU job . Urban to Notre dame is a game changer. Kelly can’t win the big one at ND , but Urban can.

Ugh. Like ND needs more football help.

Define win big? ND went 11-1 in a rebuilding year. They might not have won it all, but the did play for a BCS title and made
two playoffs. 95% of BCS teams would love to win as little as ND does.
And since the 4 playoff? How have they done??

Notre Dame is a elite college football program.Winning a national championship is very difficult for a independent team because they don't play for a league championship.
I know but ND made the NC game in 2013 (Bama thrashed them)

ND playing as an independent (and TV and NCAA loves them no matter what) is another reason I like the option for them. If you play the same teams every year they get used to you - even the option. When you change schedule you maintain an element of surprise.

People think the option is boring but its not with Monken. There are lots of big runs and passes. He goes on 4th down all the time - very few 3 and outs!

Notre dame fans are going to be rooting for kelly to get the LSU job . Urban to Notre dame is a game changer. Kelly can’t win the big one at ND , but Urban can.
Well, just another one Plum got wrong. No Urban to ND.

Well, just another one Plum got wrong. No Urban to ND.
I got the board cred for being right about rutgers sports. At this point, I need to be wrong about 50 mullion things until it hurts my board cred. And this doesn’t even pertain to rutgers sports .

Reactions: NotInRHouse
How long before this college football mess comes crashing down? 10-15 years? At some point, people will get sick of seeing the same 5-10 teams smoke everyone else and play for the championship.

How long before this college football mess comes crashing down? 10-15 years? At some point, people will get sick of seeing the same 5-10 teams smoke everyone else and play for the championship.
It would have happened by now. If anything , the game will get more popular . Legal gambling $$

CFP members meeting in Dallas today and hopefully we get some news about expansion. One of the few avenues in CFB that can at least help lower status schools raise their profile.

CFP members meeting in Dallas today and hopefully we get some news about expansion. One of the few avenues in CFB that can at least help lower status schools raise their profile.
I think we should follow the $.

4 coaches just received contracts for 370M.

School boards( or some ppl) must have a good idea that some big $ is coming in for another seismic shift in coaching salaries.

Is it from playoff expansion or another conference shuffle?

Something big is coming on the horizon.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT