ADVERTISEMENT

Semi-OT: UCLA's Chip Kelly advocates for single Power 5 conference

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
Sure, Chip. But your school willingly took the money like a cheap whore and left the conference instead of staying and working with the other powers in the conference to save it.

"It's sad," Kelly said. "The fact that there's not going to be a Pac-12 next year, the fact that Washington State is not going to be [in] a conference next year, the fact that Oregon State is not going to be in a conference next year, we failed."

"I think we should all be independent in football," Kelly said. "You can have a 64-team conference that's in the Power 5 and you can have a 64-team conference in the Group of 5, and we separate it and we play each other."

Kelly said that he believes there should be one TV contract that includes every conference, where potential regional divisions are sponsored by brands and the overall media offering is stronger and more appealing to potential TV partners.

Reactions: ScarletDave
Chip is a mystery to me
Great at Oregon, bad for Eagles, subpar at UCLA

I would have bet anything he’d be killing it in college again

What he says in that clip makes sense. Have said that it is going to suck for the non-revenue sports going forward with the former PAC-12 additions going far East to ACC and B1G. The question is will the NCAA or anyone else at the P5 conferences do anything about it. Think the SEC will try to stall any kind of movement in that direction.

Chip is a mystery to me
Great at Oregon, bad for Eagles, subpar at UCLA

I would have bet anything he’d be killing it in college again
Subpar at UCLA? He's been terrible by UCLA standards. Remember, too, that he got caught cheating at Oregon. His UCLA record:

2018UCLA3–93–65th (South)
2019UCLA4–84–5T–3rd (South)
2020UCLA3–43–45th (South)
2021UCLA8–46–3T–2nd (South)NC Holiday
2022UCLA9–46–3T–5thL Sun2121
2023UCLA8–54–5T–7thW LA
UCLA:35–3426–26

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
if ESPN and FOX think it will benefit TV with one conference then it will happen...The travel expenses of non-revenue sports has got to be a thorn on an AD side...

Chip Kelly was ahead of the curve offensively.

RPOs.
Hurry up, no-huddle.
Zone read.
Sports nutrition.
Practice efficiency.

He, Gus Malzahn, Rich Rodriguez, Urban Meyer, etc. ushered in a golden age of transformational offense.

But — like the wishbone, run and shoot, fun n gun and other offenses before it — defenses adjusted.

Now teams just take the ideas that still work and fold them into a grab bag of ideas and use whatever fits their personnel.

In other words, the game has passed Chip’s genius by. Now he’s just an average coach.

When that happens, only superior recruiting can save you. And Chip’s never been someone to go all-in on the recruiting trail.

Reactions: redking
Yeah … no to chips plan.

Why would any B1G school vote for something like this now? This tv deal get close to $100M at the end. Why on earth do we want all media money going into a pot and distributed evenly across 132 teams? Or even just 80? Once the money dries up, then okay, but interested in helping out the ACC or B12 teams now.

Yeah … no to chips plan.

Why would any B1G school vote for something like this now? This tv deal get close to $100M at the end. Why on earth do we want all media money going into a pot and distributed evenly across 132 teams? Or even just 80? Once the money dries up, then okay, but interested in helping out the ACC or B12 teams now.

I would assume most B1G fans (including a large amount of RU fans) would vote for it out of "equality and fairness".

It should be the same people who are calling for "equality and fairness" regarding NIL and a "salary cap".

If you want equality regarding NIL then I would imagine they want equality regarding all revenue (including media money).

Reactions: bac2therac
I would assume most B1G fans (including a large amount of RU fans) would vote for it out of "equality and fairness".

It should be the same people who are calling for "equality and fairness" regarding NIL and a "salary cap".

If you want equality regarding NIL then I would imagine they want equality regarding all revenue (including media money).
So they want to go from $90m average payout to $45m just so it’s fair for everyone? Seems like they don’t want Rutgers to ever have an advantage over anyone then. 🤦‍♂️

I stand by my opinion, no interest whatsoever in helping the teams getting less in there conference payouts

Reactions: NickRU714
So they want to go from $90m average payout to $45m just so it’s fair for everyone? Seems like they don’t want Rutgers to ever have an advantage over anyone then. 🤦‍♂️

I stand by my opinion, no interest whatsoever in helping the teams getting less in there conference payouts

I agree.
Keep the lopsided landscape.
Give Rutgers and Big Ten every advantage.

But there are people who want to impose equally (such as NIL salary cap) into college athletics.
For example, any "NIL salary cap" poster propose would assuredly be below the total Dylan and Ace are getting alone.

Meaning we wouldn't be getting both in the same class.
It's weird people want to disadvantage Rutgers.

Reactions: LOU-RU85
Of course you do.
Not by UCLA standards though, and not by what was expected or him. Guess without cheating, he can't succeed like he did at Oregon.

Lol..learn history for UCLA standards

They are not USC and never have been

UCLA has just 3 10 win seasons the past 25 years. 5 in 35 years. Its a very middle of the road program

Reactions: Virginiarufan
Lol..learn history for UCLA standards

They are not USC and never have been

UCLA has just 3 10 win seasons the past 25 years. 5 in 35 years. Its a very middle of the road program
That would actually be 5 or 6. Know your history. It's a state and area rich with football talent. And Chip has not sniffed the success he had at Oregon. They were on the cusp of firing him this year but did not want to pay the buyout.

Reactions: Virginiarufan
Sure, Chip. But your school willingly took the money like a cheap whore and left the conference instead of staying and working with the other powers in the conference to save it.

"It's sad," Kelly said. "The fact that there's not going to be a Pac-12 next year, the fact that Washington State is not going to be [in] a conference next year, the fact that Oregon State is not going to be in a conference next year, we failed."

"I think we should all be independent in football," Kelly said. "You can have a 64-team conference that's in the Power 5 and you can have a 64-team conference in the Group of 5, and we separate it and we play each other."

Kelly said that he believes there should be one TV contract that includes every conference, where potential regional divisions are sponsored by brands and the overall media offering is stronger and more appealing to potential TV partners.

Chip sounds like a communist

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
Maybe stick to hoops?

The Bruins have enjoyed several periods of success in their history, having been ranked in the top ten of the AP Poll at least once in every decade since the poll began in the 1930s.

The program has produced 28 first round picks in the NFL Draft, 30 consensus All-Americans, and multiple major award winners, including Heisman winner Gary Beban.

They have 3 10 wins seasons in 25 years and 5 in 35

Football rules caught up to his innovation. He was dominant when you could play fast and defenses had to try to adjust on the fly. Now a ref stands behind the center and causes his style to have a delay of game penalty. He still a very good football coach and I’d take him in a heartbeat.

They have 3 10 wins seasons in 25 years and 5 in 35
5 ten win seasons in27 year, OK? 17 Conference Championships in their History. 38 Bowl Games. 1 national championship.
A much better program than most with expectations to not be middling, like they have been under Chip. Three losing seasons to start. Last 3 seasons have been good, but not great. Losing to Fresno State in 2021, losing a crap Arizona team in 2022, losing to a horrible Arizona State and Cal in 2023 in year 6 of his tenure, and being owned by Utah are not good looks. If this was Greggy, you would be pissing up a storm over it.

1997: 10-2
1998: 10-2
2005: 10-2
2013: 10-3
2014: 10-3

5 ten win seasons in27 year, OK? 17 Conference Championships in their History. 38 Bowl Games. 1 national championship.
A much better program than most with expectations to not be middling, like they have been under Chip. Three losing seasons to start. Last 3 seasons have been good, but not great. Losing to Fresno State in 2021, losing a crap Arizona team in 2022, losing to a horrible Arizona State and Cal in 2023 in year 6 of his tenure, and being owned by Utah are not good looks. If this was Greggy, you would be pissing up a storm over it.

1997: 10-2
1998: 10-2
2005: 10-2
2013: 10-3
2014: 10-3
the reality is that they dont have some kind of great history that you seem to think they have.....Kelly may be a disappointment but compared to others season he is basically fitting in. They have never been a contender for the national title and its stunning you think your argument above listing records from 1997 means anything.

What he's proposing is what the NFL does, though with considerably fewer teams.
I know what he's proposing and it's not the same model and it wouldn't work as envisioned. there is no equity amongst the top cpb conference and nor is there community

Reactions: NickRU714
the reality is that they dont have some kind of great history that you seem to think they have.....Kelly may be a disappointment but compared to others season he is basically fitting in. They have never been a contender for the national title and its stunning you think your argument above listing records from 1997 means anything.
You were the one who said "great," not me. I said UCLA history. With USC in their backyard, they aspire to a higher standard than Rutgers does. In the so-so PAC-12, a 10 win season after 6 years of coaching is not too much to ask. You seem to give less latitude to our own coaches than you do coaches at other schools. There was a lot of hand-wringing by UCLA and their fans as to whether to bring Chip back this year.
You said 25 years, so 27 years is only 2 more. Rutgers fans revel in the glory of Greg 1.0. 25-30 years is a fair time frame for program expectations.
And they won a national title in 1954. Goodness are you dense or something?

On top of all this, their prized 5 star QB has entered the transfer portal. Chip is getting chipped away.

You were the one who said "great," not me. I said UCLA history. With USC in their backyard, they aspire to a higher standard than Rutgers does. In the so-so PAC-12, a 10 win season after 6 years of coaching is not too much to ask. You seem to give less latitude to our own coaches than you do coaches at other schools. There was a lot of hand-wringing by UCLA and their fans as to whether to bring Chip back this year.
You said 25 years, so 27 years is only 2 more. Rutgers fans revel in the glory of Greg 1.0. 25-30 years is a fair time frame for program expectations.
And they won a national title in 1954. Goodness are you dense or something?

On top of all this, their prized 5 star QB has entered the transfer portal. Chip is getting chipped away.

you know what coach isnt living up to standards, head on over to the womens hoops board

you know what coach isnt living up to standards, head on over to the womens hoops board
You are getting your ass handed to you over there, and I don't need to go over there and throw dirt on you. You are losing just fine without me joining in. Patience, grasshopper. It's year 2. Losing to Auburn, Seton Hall, Fairfield, Texas Tech, Boise State, Indiana, Princeton, and Virginia Tech, teams all with current solid winning records (OK, Fairfield is not great) is nothing to be a grouchy pants about in year 2 of a massive rebuild. You know what happened in the years prior to CW taking over. Recruiting was abysmal. Recruiting is not particularly good right now.
Do you remember a coach who was 15-18/3-15 and 15-19/3-15 in his first two seasons? That seems to have worked out. Time will tell. It's too early to have a hissy fit for REASONABLE fans.

You are getting your ass handed to you over there, and I don't need to go over there and throw dirt on you. You are losing just fine without me joining in. Patience, grasshopper. It's year 2. Losing to Auburn, Seton Hall, Fairfield, Texas Tech, Boise State, Indiana, Princeton, and Virginia Tech, teams all with current solid winning records (OK, Fairfield is not great) is nothing to be a grouchy pants about in year 2 of a massive rebuild. You know what happened in the years prior to CW taking over. Recruiting was abysmal. Recruiting is not particularly good right now.
Do you remember a coach who was 15-18/3-15 and 15-19/3-15 in his first two seasons? That seems to have worked out. Time will tell. It's too early to have a hissy fit for REASONABLE fans.
its a massive rebuild because Hobbs had no plan for CVS leaving and she left everything in tatters and Pat decided to hire a coach who got canned at Penn State after having initial success there. Not the right hire and she has brought no buzz to the program. The worst will be when Iowa comes and everyone is rooting for Caitlin Clark

also while I have you here. I just discovered Andrew Huberman on youtube and finding the discussion on the podcasts brilliant.

its a massive rebuild because Hobbs had no plan for CVS leaving and she left everything in tatters and Pat decided to hire a coach who got canned at Penn State after having initial success there. Not the right hire and she has brought no buzz to the program. The worst will be when Iowa comes and everyone is rooting for Caitlin Clark
blazing saddles no GIF

Everybody. Hoo boy. You and richthedentist are not everybody

Will Ferrell Lol GIF

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT