ADVERTISEMENT

If Kelly goes to LSU, Urban Meyer to Notre Dame

Maybe this is a wake up call to Notre Dame to join the Big 10. When any program can steal the most storied football program’s head coach — you know you’ve fallen down a notch.
Hahah ever heard of Knute Rockne, Parasigan, or Holtz. Kelly didn’t win crap at ND

So ND has 'hired' the OC and strength coach but not a HC. This doesn't make any sense unless they already have a deal in place with a HC. What if the new coach wants his own staff (which is quite likely)? They just pay out these assistants to go away?
They’ve promoted Freeman. So you guys get to keep Fickell. If OU called would he leave?

They’ve promoted Freeman. So you guys get to keep Fickell. If OU called would he leave?
I'm not sure but he'd probably have to listen. I was most concerned with ND (and obviously OSU if it ever comes open) along with PSU if Franklin would have left. Oklahoma hasn't necessarily been on my radar but obviously it would be an attractive offer for any coach. And it's possible OU will go big with an offer after losing Riley to USC.

The consolation was to grab Freeman if Fickell left for ND so that would be a worse situation to wind up with neither for sure.

I'm not sure but he'd probably have to listen. I was most concerned with ND (and obviously OSU if it ever comes open) along with PSU if Franklin would have left. Oklahoma hasn't necessarily been on my radar but obviously it would be an attractive offer for any coach. And it's possible OU will go big with an offer after losing Riley to USC.

The consolation was to grab Freeman if Fickell left for ND so that would be a worse situation to wind up with neither for sure.
OSU, PSU and ND were the jobs I’ve always read he’d love. OU I have no idea but now that all those 3, unless Day leaves for the NFL, aren’t opening any time soon would he be more flexible. So then if an OU comes calling would he “lower his standards” (not that OU is low just not his ideal). Or would he do like a Chris Petersen at Boise and stay for long time until the right one opens up again. Thing is who knows when that will be and while he’s red hot now, who knows how hot he’ll be down the line.

OSU, PSU and ND were the jobs I’ve always read he’d love. OU I have no idea but now that all those 3, unless Day leaves for the NFL, aren’t opening any time soon would he be more flexible. So then if an OU comes calling would he “lower his standards” (not that OU is low just not his ideal). Or would he do like a Chris Petersen at Boise and stay for long time until the right one opens up again. Thing is who knows when that will be and while he’s red hot now, who knows how hot he’ll be down the line.
When he turned down Michigan State a couple years ago I was honestly a bit surprised. So he at least proved he's either committed to staying for a while or has a narrow set of criteria he's using to evaluate openings. I'm sure he'll get an extension and a raise but won't be near the obscene money others are getting. He also has a son on the team which may be a factor as well.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT