ADVERTISEMENT

Illinois fires Cubit

Actually just four months. But new AD arrived, so he is probably looking to build it his way. Thats a risk of taking a job where a new AD is coming in. Whittman started as AD today, so talk about moving quickly.

Reactions: NickyNewark51
Gotta figure the first call has to be to PJ Fleck.....unless they have an NFL name ready.....edit: Leslie Frazier is being speculated on....

Did Cubit get another year of guaranteed money after being "hired"?

Last edited:
I think it was a cheap termination. Even thought he had a 2 year contract fo $1.2 million a year, termination allowed fo pro rated salary at a minimum of $250k.

One thing for sure: At some point a name will be mentioned on this thread (I don't who's name it will be) as a replacement, and someone will respond "that is our worst nightmare". Happens every time!

I think that's reserved for divisional opponents......I bet Wisconsin, Nebraska and Iowa are getting nervous right now....

Gotta figure the first call has to be to PJ Fleck.....unless they have an NFL name ready.....edit: Leslie Frazier is being speculated on....

Did Cubit get another year of guaranteed money after being "hired"?

I think it was a cheap termination. Even thought he had a 2 year contract fo $1.2 million a year, termination allowed fo pro rated salary at a minimum of $250k.

ESPN article says he is getting paid for the remainder of this season, so he get's the full 1.2 Mil.

He hired his son when ever he got a coaching job. They must be pretty close.

"Cubit's son, Ryan, was a three-year starter at quarterback for the Western Michigan football team from 2004 to 2006. Ryan had originally played quarterback at Rutgers where his father was offensive coordinator, from 2001–2002 before transferring. Ryan served as quarterbacks coach and passing game coordinator on his father's Western Michigan coaching staff from 2009–2012. Ryan was dismissed along with the rest of the assistant coaches after his father's firing in 2012. He was out of coaching in 2013, and worked in the private sector with Stryker. In March 2014, Ryan joined his father on the Illinois staff as the Director of Football Student-Athlete Development. Ryan was promoted to quarterbacks coach and recruiting coordinator on the Illini staff."

ESPN article says he is getting paid for the remainder of this season, so he get's the full 1.2 Mil.
Coaching search.com

Now Illinois is making a change a week before spring practice, which was scheduled to start on March 11. Instead, spring ball will be delayed until a new head coach is in place. An announcement on the April 16 spring game will be made later.

Offensive coordinator Ryan Cubit has also been dismissed. The remaining assistants will have an opportunity to interview with the new head coach. Bill Cubit will receive $985,000 in buyout, and Ryan Cubit will receive $361,000.

The two-year deal for Bill Cubit was obviously a short-term solution, but no one could have foreseen a change in March. The press release was also sent out before players were notified. :flushed:

ncaa usually allows incomming freshman out of loi when a coach is fired. B10 also has in conference no transfer,but not if coach fired and freshman have not enrolled.

ncaa usually allows incomming freshman out of loi when a coach is fired
Ah, ok...Well in that article, it didn't seem like Rutgers pressed for him late when they could have....However, the Ash staff certainly pushed hard for Dele Harding....And his commitment to Illinois seemed surprising.

Reactions: Fat-Tony
Chicken sh*t behavior on the part of the Illini. Hope we cream them.

Actually just four months. But new AD arrived, so he is probably looking to build it his way. Thats a risk of taking a job where a new AD is coming in. Whittman started as AD today, so talk about moving quickly.
Thats how winners do it....hes proven over the yrs mediocre at best...why wait.

Ryan rode his old man coattails his entire life. Must be nice.

Last edited:
Reactions: ruready07
AM i missing something in the salaries?
Shouldn't an Offensive coordinator make around 400K?

Ryan's old position of qb coach paid 80K.
What did we pay our offensive coordinator this season?

NOw, if you want o get upset about hiring him as the OC then fine, but his salary seems reasonable for an OC in the B10

Very strange. His hire was strange given that they gave him a two year deal and the timing of this announcement is even stranger. They must have someone lined up.

Hope Ash is on the phone to Dele Harding this change can't be sitting well with him. I believe he can change schools like above poster mentioned since he isn't enrolled yet. They might still have to let him out of his LIO but it would be a douche move by Illinois to refuse any kid. It really is a rare situation and not one fair to the kids.

AM i missing something in the salaries?
Shouldn't an Offensive coordinator make around 400K?

Ryan's old position of qb coach paid 80K.
What did we pay our offensive coordinator this season?

NOw, if you want o get upset about hiring him as the OC then fine, but his salary seems reasonable for an OC in the B10
I think he was QB coach and recruiting coordinator .

Lovie Smith would be a big time hire.
Immediate credibility and big name cache.

Not sure Illinois could afford him (I would think he would want close to Jim H. MOney)

Illinois: what happens when an Athletics Department has more money than leadership. Holy crap, what a waste of money extending Cubit that two-year HC contract.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT