ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Golf in Central NJ

Pebble Creek in Colts Neck is a good course if you can get a tee time with all the outings they have there. A course in Monmouth I would tell you to avoid at all costs is Old Orchard in Eatontown. It is the only course in the state where you can lose a sleeve of balls on the fairways. They mow the place every now and then whether have too or not.
That place is a dump

Cant believe its a Tillinghast design

• Haha
Reactions: RUScrew85
That place is a dump

Cant believe its a Tillinghast design
It's been a dump for awhile and they aren't putting money into it simply because it will become housing , the current owners never had any interest in maintaining. Their plan all along was redevelopment and finally the town approved a rezoning for up to 145 age restricted (senior) units and commercial space was approved last summer. Surprised it's even open still.

Last edited:
Reactions: knightfan7
Played Old Bridge GC today. Opened in Sept. Greens are outstanding. Fairways are still not quite filled in but close. Parts are wide open and parts are tree lined.

There are Cart Girls but no idea if they serve liquor. If I had to guess, I'd say no.

Reactions: darkcheck
Pebble Creek in Colts Neck is a good course if you can get a tee time with all the outings they have there. A course in Monmouth I would tell you to avoid at all costs is Old Orchard in Eatontown. It is the only course in the state where you can lose a sleeve of balls on the fairways. They mow the place every now and then whether have too or not.
They have a range?

Played Old Bridge GC today. Opened in Sept. Greens are outstanding. Fairways are still not quite filled in but close. Parts are wide open and parts are tree lined.

There are Cart Girls but no idea if they serve liquor. If I had to guess, I'd say no.
They don't have liquor license yet, but I've played six times since it's official opening in April (Sept. was soft opening) and I love it.

I'm playing Flanders blue/white on Wednesday. My first 18 of the season. Regardless of the course, I will not play well.
3rd hole on the blue is the closest I've ever gotten to a hole in one. Hit a 5i to 4 inches. Was the 2nd year of me taking up the game. Been all downhill since.

Incredible. I was told the guy won't sell to anyone who won't keep it as a golf course. So much potential there, such a shame.
Apparently they have been trying to sell for years and they finally sold it last year but there were so many approvals they needed that the sale is still pending. I don’t know what the hang up is but it is a mess. Meanwhile this course has gone to hell in a hand basket.

Reactions: Richie O
They are trying to sell old orchard as one of those developments that are half townhouses or condos and the other half a shopping center.

thank god the tee time bot phenomena seems to have chilled out this year. Havent had issues getting tee times.

I live a minute away from Heron Glen and didnt play it once last year because they’d dump tee times for residents 10 days out at 1 AM and by 1:01 AM every time before 3PM would be booked.

They are trying to sell old orchard as one of those developments that are half townhouses or condos and the other half a shopping center.
I was in Eatontown/Tinton Falls meeting up with one of my golfing partners yesterday morning. He gave me an overview of the amount of construction going on, not to mention projects that haven't started. Monmouth Mall property, Ft Monmouth with Netflix, St Barnabas, and others. Atlantic or Meridian Cancer Center. Other industry, homes and townhouses.

I was in Eatontown/Tinton Falls meeting up with one of my golfing partners yesterday morning. He gave me an overview of the amount of construction going on, not to mention projects that haven't started. Monmouth Mall property, Ft Monmouth with Netflix, St Barnabas, and others. Atlantic or Meridian Cancer Center. Other industry, homes and townhouses.
I am sure that is not helping with their plans to sell and develop. Unfortunately, if they eventually can’t sell it the money it will take to bring that course up to proper playing conditions will be enormous.

They don't have liquor license yet, but I've played six times since it's official opening in April (Sept. was soft opening) and I love it.

played Old Bridge a couple of weeks ago. Couple of things that bothered me a bit... Too many tiered greens. 14 and 16-18 turned into a hard hat area which was annoying as hell. More of an issue with the other players though with two groups criss crossing fairways looking for their way ward shots. One group picked up my son's ball that he piped down the middle of the 16th fairway and played my friends new Callaway between 16/17 while leaving their beat up Callaway (same ball, different number, no mark on it like my friend).

Also a bit disappointing to see the amount of garbage left in the parking lot too.

Its a nice course though, and I will play it again.

Confirmed though, no alcohol on the beverage cart.

played Old Bridge a couple of weeks ago. Couple of things that bothered me a bit... Too many tiered greens. 14 and 16-18 turned into a hard hat area which was annoying as hell. More of an issue with the other players though with two groups criss crossing fairways looking for their way ward shots. One group picked up my son's ball that he piped down the middle of the 16th fairway and played my friends new Callaway between 16/17 while leaving their beat up Callaway (same ball, different number, no mark on it like my friend).

Also a bit disappointing to see the amount of garbage left in the parking lot too.

Well that means I wasn't the only one. I liked the look of the "open" holes a lot but with that comes a greater likelihood of criss crossing of groups. I didn't mind the tiered greens as much as I did what happened on the greens. Couldn't read a putt worth a damn.

I believe once the course matures it will be more difficult. Missing the fairways will be a lot more penal.

Some of those greens are huge too. I hit the green on the the Par 3 15th. I didn't know whether to go with an 8 or 9 iron with my 2nd shot🤣

Doesn't say what course unless I missed
The newer course is crap the old course is spectacular.
Which is newer? Banks or Palmer? I played in a RU outing there before. I think they used all 36 and it’s just the luck of the draw.

Anyone play Raritan Valley Country Club recently? Real mediocre course, for what they charge you for a membership you get a course that plays like one of the county courses in Somerset.

Anyone play Raritan Valley Country Club recently? Real mediocre course, for what they charge you for a membership you get a course that plays like one of the county courses in Somerset.
There are members of RVCC on this board so hopefully they reply on this one.

There are members of RVCC on this board so hopefully they reply on this one.
there is one green on a par 4 that has a slope so bad I believe it DQ’d them from hosting NJSGA events though I might be mistaken. Regardless, that green is insane.

Played 18 holes in 2:12 yesterday.
Which course? I played Mercer East yesterday with my brothers. Around 4 hours but should have been quicker since the four-some in front of us was slowwwwww. We didn't realize they were holding all of us up until the ranger yelled at them around the 12th.

My fastest 18 was 2:45 at sunset valley (2some in a cart). I just walked Montclair CC in 3:15 (with caddie) a few weeks back.

Which course? I played Mercer East yesterday with my brothers. Around 4 hours but should have been quicker since the four-some in front of us was slowwwwww. We didn't realize they were holding all of us up until the ranger yelled at them around the 12th.

We teed off at 1:40 on the West. We played through the very slow foursome (the first out after the outing - we were second) and finished quickly.

I'm playing Flanders blue/white on Wednesday. My first 18 of the season. Regardless of the course, I will not play well.
As predicted, I hit the ball pretty consistently poorly. I'm not a good golfer, but my front 9 got me to that point where it wasn't enjoyable. I did play slightly better on the back, thank goodness.

As predicted, I hit the ball pretty consistently poorly. I'm not a good golfer, but my front 9 got me to that point where it wasn't enjoyable. I did play slightly better on the back, thank goodness.
How was the course? I am thinking of playing there during the week next week. My brother is just across the Delaware so I try to find a place in between.

How was the course? I am thinking of playing there during the week next week. My brother is just across the Delaware so I try to find a place in between.
It was in good shape. The greens were impossible to read, though. Probably had to do with the guy watering them as we were putting. Like, as I'm over the ball, I can feel the spray on the back of my legs. Doesn't make for an easy read.

Reactions: Section124
Golf related but OT

Yesterday at Hartford, Chris Gotterup shot 5 Over 75 including an 8 on the Par 4 12th where he hit back to back OB's off the tee.

Today he not only Birdied the 12th but was 6 under approaching 17 where a Bogey resulted in a 5 Under 65, a 10 stroke improvement.

Go figure.

Golf related but OT

Yesterday at Hartford, Chris Gotterup shot 5 Over 75 including an 8 on the Par 4 12th where he hit back to back OB's off the tee.

Today he not only Birdied the 12th but was 6 under approaching 17 where a Bogey resulted in a 5 Under 65, a 10 stroke improvement.

Go figure.
They named the game golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken.

• Haha
Reactions: knightfan7
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT