ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Golf in Central NJ

For public courses, I like the Morris County ones (Flanders, Sunset Valley and Bowling Green, which I believe is still semi-private) as much as the Monmouth County gems (Hominy/Howell). Warrenbrook in Somerset County is decent and RU is way better than it was when I learned the game there in the 80s (although it simply can't ever be great as it's too short with no room to grow). Haven't played much at all in the last 10 years though, so my input might be dated.

For public courses, I like the Morris County ones (Flanders, Sunset Valley and Bowling Green, which I believe is still semi-private) as much as the Monmouth County gems (Hominy/Howell). Warrenbrook in Somerset County is decent and RU is way better than it was when I learned the game there in the 80s (although it simply can't ever be great as it's too short with no room to grow). Haven't played much at all in the last 10 years though, so my input might be dated.
I remember playing RU in the late 80s as a student for $4. Nice layout but it is short and tight. In course OOB is not a favorite of mine.

You have to add Berkshire Valley, it’s a Morris County course, designer is the same as the designer for Wild Turkey. It was added to the county system sin the early 90’s or late 80s I think.

Some serious price inflation at all 3 this season. Not sure if everybody else has noticed the same. As an example, I can't even imagine paying 200+ for ballyowen. Now it's nice. It has a signature par 3. The clubhouse is great for a beer. But that's just crazy pricing to me.
Agreed...too expensive to play on weekends. I would pay $120-140 for Wild Turkey or Ballyown but $200+ is not worth it. Last year I even noticed Bowling Green (normally $60-80 on weekends) was $100-120. The biggest negative of Ballyowen is that it is a 5-5 ½ hour round (even during the summer week days). It's too hard for many but they try to play it anyway. I really should have bought those multi play discounts they had at Christmas time. Even getting a tee time (with a AM tee time) here on the Bergen County courses has been a challenge the past few weeks. Mid-days during the week is still packed with all the moms and seniors.

Reactions: darkcheck and RuSnp
I remember playing RU in the late 80s as a student for $4. Nice layout but it is short and tight. In course OOB is not a favorite of mine.
When I was in high school in the early 80's we used to be able to play Galloping Hill (and the rest of the Union County courses) during the week for $3. I think we used to play 3-4 days during the summer. My mom used to drop us off in the AM and pick us up at dinner time. Played 27 holes each day. Only negative back then was getting on the tee sheet and waiting.

You have to add Berkshire Valley, it’s a Morris County course, designer is the same as the designer for Wild Turkey. It was added to the county system sin the early 90’s or late 80s I think.
Thanks for pointing that out. Didn't know that. I always said to myself Berkshire and Wild Turkey had a similar feel.

Reactions: darkcheck
Berkshire is also considered a Morris County course (for all county card holders).

I don’t play much golf anymore but when I was playing a lot in Middlesex, Tamarac and Bunker Hill were pretty decent. Years ago.
In 2010 or 2011 I got a free Bunker Hill round voucher from buying a putter from Golfsmith. My buddy and I played during one of those heatwaves back then. Course was a dump, they lost the fairways to the drought but the layout and greens were alright.

Around hole 9, we hear a sharp crack of a rifle shooting in our direction (for those who shoot, inbound shots sound a lot different than outbound shots) and a deer about 150 yards down the fairway drops dead. Then we hear a second round, this one was close enough to where you could hear the crack of the bullet, not just the report of the rifle. We were walking the course, so we left our bags and ran for cover, calling 911. About 5 minutes later 5 cop cars surround the main road and clubhouse and arrested a hunter who came onto the property.

Suffice to say, I have not been back since.

Same here. Used to play several times a week while I was in grad school in the eng'g building across the street in the mid/late 80s, along with a buddy of mine/roommate who was also a chem E. We got to know the starter, Whitey, quite well, and he'd let us play 27 or 36 without charging us more, so it was a real bargain. Course was never in very good shape, though, until probably the mid-90s and it's still in very nice shape.

Same here. Used to play several times a week while I was in grad school in the eng'g building across the street in the mid/late 80s, along with a buddy of mine/roommate who was also a chem E. We got to know the starter, Whitey, quite well, and he'd let us play 27 or 36 without charging us more, so it was a real bargain. Course was never in very good shape, though, until probably the mid-90s and it's still in very nice shape.
I remember Whitey, I’d come at the crack of dawn and he’d let me go off on 10 to get a quick nine in before my period 2 class. Man those were the days.

Last edited:
Agreed...too expensive to play on weekends. I would pay $120-140 for Wild Turkey or Ballyown but $200+ is not worth it. Last year I even noticed Bowling Green (normally $60-80 on weekends) was $100-120. The biggest negative of Ballyowen is that it is a 5-5 ½ hour round (even during the summer week days). It's too hard for many but they try to play it anyway. I really should have bought those multi play discounts they had at Christmas time. Even getting a tee time (with a AM tee time) here on the Bergen County courses has been a challenge the past few weeks. Mid-days during the week is still packed with all the moms and seniors.

I played Balyowen two seasons ago. It used to be one of my favorites in NJ but the course conditions have really deteriorated, especially the sand traps. Will not be back for that price….

When I started playing 100 years ago we used to go to Tara greens in NB/Somerset. Not sure if that's still around, but it was 9 holes of a garbage golf course. Best part was on the first hole you would have a huge gallery on weekends of all the people backed up waiting to tee off. Could be 30 people watching you tee off as a beginner. We would play the 9, then get in line and play it again....and again.....and again. 36 holes was pretty normal. I'm guessing they probably sold the place and put condos up or something.

When I started playing 100 years ago we used to go to Tara greens in NB/Somerset. Not sure if that's still around, but it was 9 holes of a garbage golf course. Best part was on the first hole you would have a huge gallery on weekends of all the people backed up waiting to tee off. Could be 30 people watching you tee off as a beginner. We would play the 9, then get in line and play it again....and again.....and again. 36 holes was pretty normal. I'm guessing they probably sold the place and put condos up or something.
This is where my neighbor (and later boss) and his son would always play - looks like it shut down last year sadly enough.

that place was terrible. also the first place i hit balls with purpose. driving ranges are few and far between in CNJ, and Tara is the one that was closest to my house...its hard to find places just to hit balls and practice these days.

Sadly closed

Copper Hill is private. I belonged there in the ‘80s and ‘90s but moved to The Ridge at Back Brook, a stunningly beautiful course.
The Ridge is fantastic. It was my "must play" course whenever it appeared on the NJSGA Member Golf Days rotation. Since I spend most of the year in Seaside Park, my current public "go-to" course is Eagle Ridge in Lakewood. I think it's a really nice course, just not sure how much longer it will be around due to "development".

I played Balyowen two seasons ago. It used to be one of my favorites in NJ but the course conditions have really deteriorated, especially the sand traps. Will not be back for that price….
Was that maybe COVID related? A lot of courses were short staffed. Conditions have been good whenever I play it.

The Ridge is fantastic. It was my "must play" course whenever it appeared on the NJSGA Member Golf Days rotation. Since I spend most of the year in Seaside Park, my current public "go-to" course is Eagle Ridge in Lakewood. I think it's a really nice course, just not sure how much longer it will be around due to "development".
I didn't realize Eagle Ridge was still open. I thought the community bought it to develop the land. I used to play it all the time when my mom lived down that way (deceased for 11 years). Very nice course. A little short but fun.

that place was terrible. also the first place i hit balls with purpose. driving ranges are few and far between in CNJ, and Tara is the one that was closest to my house...its hard to find places just to hit balls and practice these days.
Yes it was terrible. I got hit by a ball from the driving range on the first fairway. Consistently chased by mean-spirited geese. Slowest round of golf in NJ. Not much grass on the fairways...tee boxes were a total mess....greens were spongecake. But it's where I learned to play and I could play all day for the price of 9 holes. I'm surprised to hear it lasted until last year.

Yes it was terrible. I got hit by a ball from the driving range on the first fairway. Consistently chased by mean-spirited geese. Slowest round of golf in NJ. Not much grass on the fairways...tee boxes were a total mess....greens were spongecake. But it's where I learned to play and I could play all day for the price of 9 holes. I'm surprised to hear it lasted until last year.
I remember that first hole, like 213 with two bunkers in front. Par 3. Lol

Seems every county does but Middlesex
If Middlesex would even try a little The Meadows would be a nice muni especially for a senior like me. Rocks in the bunkers???
Ocean County sucks for golf. One full course very far south and an executive course (in Brick). Toms River has a muni (Bey Lea) and Berkeley has a muni (Cedar Creek).
Bunker Hill was the first course I ever played. It’s ok but I like a range to hit a few and loosen up before a round.

Tamarack is quite a story. 36 holes there as you know. New management a couple years back. They decided they were going to redo it all, 18 at a time. Two years ago shut down east. I played it last June and it was very nice. Then in the summer they cut it too short. Then it burned out. Then it rained a lot. It still hasn’t recovered. Right now it was just a waste of a renovation. Shame. West is closed now for renovation. It’s ten minutes from me, I want to love Tamarack but they just can’t get it right. Plus it gets a TON of rounds and pace of play can be ssllooww.
Tamarack is a sad story. But I never expect anything in Middlesex County to be run well.
Bunker is west of Rt. 27 so not in Middlesex County. Will be playing there Thursday.
Why can't places like this install a warm-up net? I want to hit 10 to 12 balls before the first tee.

If Middlesex would even try a little The Meadows would be a nice muni especially for a senior like me. Rocks in the bunkers???
Ocean County sucks for golf. One full course very far south and an executive course (in Brick). Toms River has a muni (Bey Lea) and Berkeley has a muni (Cedar Creek).

Tamarack is a sad story. But I never expect anything in Middlesex County to be run well.
Bunker is west of Rt. 27 so not in Middlesex County. Will be playing there Thursday.
Why can't places like this install a warm-up net? I want to hit 10 to 12 balls before the first tee.
I’m aware Bunker is not Middlesex I was just commenting on the post about bunker. It was the first course I played. But no warm up options takes it out for me.

I first played Princeton Meadows (now Meadows of Midd) in the 80s. It was semi private. Fazio designed the holes across the road (13-16). Middlesex bought it and destroyed it. At least they have a net though. Lol

I tried to buy the acreage to the right of the drive way while I was still in college. To put in a driving range. Family who owned it wanted to keep it as an open space. Was just a vacant 15 acre plot.

I played Matawang ( ear Hillsboro ) today. Greens were in good shape ( but slow ) It’s a tough and long course.

5 of my last 6 tee times have been cancelled due to rain going back to last season. And not sprinkles, washouts.

Of course I have a tee time for Thursday made last week and it’s the only day that looks like a washout this week.

5 of my last 6 tee times have been cancelled due to rain going back to last season. And not sprinkles, washouts.

Of course I have a tee time for Thursday made last week and it’s the only day that looks like a washout this week.
If it's in the morning you should be fine.

With the exception of #9 all of the in course oob has been removed. They left 9 so people would not try and cut the corner and slow down people playing #1

Not a lot of rounds this year but played at some great courses. Montclair CC, Canoe Brook, Tamarack CC (Greenwich CT) and playing Wykagyl CC next week. Wheels came off a few weeks back. Think I worked it out. Too many YouTube video instructions.

My brother lives in Freehold and says Hominy Hill not so great anymore.

Neshanic is a nice course. Usually play there a few times a year. When my older brother lived in Highstown/East Windsor we used to play Mercer East/West. I liked the links course more.
Mercer Oaks is a very nice setup. Comparable to Charleston Springs which I played for years.

Pebble Creek in Colts Neck is a good course if you can get a tee time with all the outings they have there. A course in Monmouth I would tell you to avoid at all costs is Old Orchard in Eatontown. It is the only course in the state where you can lose a sleeve of balls on the fairways. They mow the place every now and then whether have too or not.

Neshanic.

Galloping Hill is fun... borderline north jersey I guess.
Grew up on GH. Played 54 holes a day as a kid from11 to 16. Pretty much 7 days a week unless course was closed to weather. Dropped off at 7am & picked up at 9pm every day. Putted for money with the old timers on the bottom green after I got my 54 in while waiting for my ride

Was there is the day when heavy duty rubber mats were your tee boxes before they actually put in TEES with grass

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT