ADVERTISEMENT

Injuries player On Foul

PSAL_Hoops

All American
Feb 18, 2008
I had thought there was a rule that the opposing team gets to pick the shooter when the fouled player gets hurt and can’t take the shots. Is that not the case?

I know it didn’t really hurt us since one shot was missed - but it doesn’t seem fair that a 56% FT shooter can be replaced with a 78% one.

I was saying the same thing about the rule to my buddies at the game when the player went out, but none of us was sure how it works. If the team that was fouled gets to pick a replacement, they’re gonna put their best shooter, and if the opposing team picks we’re gonna pick the worst. Not sure how the NCAA has the rule written.

I was saying the same thing about the rule to my buddies at the game when the player went out, but none of us was sure how it works. If the team that was fouled gets to pick a replacement, they’re gonna put their best shooter, and if the opposing team picks we’re gonna pick the worst. Not sure how the NCAA has the rule written.
Clearly their big was hurt as you saw in the replay but who’s to say they don’t put an 80% FT shooter in as we saw last night? Regardless it worked out, and I hope that kid is ok.

Clearly their big was hurt as you saw in the replay but who’s to say they don’t put an 80% FT shooter in as we saw last night? Regardless it worked out, and I hope that kid is ok.
I thought opposing team could pick shooter but it had to be from one of the other 4 players on the court at time of injury

Reactions: RUChoppin
"Section 3. Who Attempts
Art. 1. Personal fouls—The free throw(s) awarded because of a personal foul shall be attempted by the offended player, unless one of the conditions of Article 2 or 3 of this section are met.

Art 2. The free throw(s) that were to be attempted by the offended player shall be attempted by that player’s substitute unless no substitute is available, in which case any team member shall attempt the free throw(s) when the offended player is disqualified or ejected or must withdraw because he is bleeding or has Rule 8 / Free Throw 77 blood on his uniform or person, or when a player is withdrawn because of a lost, displaced or irritated contact lens.

Art. 3. When an injured player is unable to attempt a free throw try(s), the head coach from the opposing team shall select one of the four remaining players on the playing court to attempt the free throw try(s). When a foul is flagrant and the injured player is unable to attempt a free throw try(s), the injured player's head coach shall select any player or team member to attempt the free throw try(s). When the injured player is bleeding, his head coach may: 1) provide a substitute for the bleeding player who will attempt the free throw try(s), or 2) request a timeout and attempt to remedy the blood situation. (See Rule 3-6.3.f)"

I think this would have fallen under Article 3, and Pike should have been able to choose among the 4 remaining players.

Reactions: BillyC80
On a separate note, I don't know why Omoruyi didn't get 2 shots when Murray fouled him on that alley-oop attempt, either. The ball was in his hands, he was heading to the rim with it, and he got hit on the wrist... that seemed like a cut-and-dried shooting foul.

On a separate note, I don't know why Omoruyi didn't get 2 shots when Murray fouled him on that alley-oop attempt, either. The ball was in his hands, he was heading to the rim with it, and he got hit on the wrist... that seemed like a cut-and-dried shooting foul.
The ref said the foul occurred before he caught the ball. If it happened after he caught it then It would have been 2 shots

Agreed there too there was some agregious reffing in the first half but I guess that foul that sent RHJ to the line evened everything out I guess

Art. 3. When an injured player is unable to attempt a free throw try(s), the head coach from the opposing team shall select one of the four remaining players on the playing court to attempt the free throw try(s).
Other then no picking Bohannon, I am not sure there was any obvious choice for Pike to make.
The 4 remaining players were:
Bohannon - 88% career FT%
Toussaint - 75% career FT%
McCaffery - 76% career FT%
Murray - 76% career FT%

Reactions: BillyC80
Pikiell clearly did get to choose the shooter - ref went over to him and then signaled to the Iowa bench #22.
Wow, turned out to be a great choice by Pike. I wonder if 78% was the lowest among the remaining players on the floor? If not, Pike must’ve known something that wasn’t apparent from the stats.

Other then no picking Bohannon, I am not sure there was any obvious choice for Pike to make.
The 4 remaining players were:
Bohannon - 88% career FT%
Toussaint - 75% career FT%
McCaffery - 76% career FT%
Murray - 76% career FT%
Lol, hit send on my last post before seeing yours. Thanks — that answers my question.

Hmmm ..so Pike picks the coaches son to shoot the FT. Maybe Pike had an incling of father/son pressure. Or hoping the student section "daddys boy" chant would work again? #22 certainly did not have the look of confidence as he was prepping for the shots!

Reactions: SirPerceval
Baraska the injured player started heading to the tunnel and turned around walked back to Coach McCafferty while the foul shots were happening. Saying he was ready to go back in. ???

Baraska the injured player started heading to the tunnel and turned around walked back to Coach McCafferty while the foul shots were happening. Saying he was ready to go back in. ???
Correct. He got up as to go back into the game after the 2nd shot and Fran had him sit down.

Yes Pike picked the shooter. They took out their stat book to look at the lines for the remaining players. Also, yes he went right towards tunnel and made instant U turn back to bench. Fran did sit him down for the stretch run.

Hmmm ..so Pike picks the coaches son to shoot the FT. Maybe Pike had an incling of father/son pressure. Or hoping the student section "daddys boy" chant would work again? #22 certainly did not have the look of confidence as he was prepping for the shots!

I think the other McCaffery came in to replace Rabasca and take the FTs, not the McCaffery who was on the floor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT