ADVERTISEMENT

Question on a Couple of Our Shots for Which It Looked Like an Iowa Player Slapped the Backboard

RutgersRaRa

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Mar 21, 2011
They didn't show a replay at the game, but there were two shots that it looked like an Iowa player hit the glass while the ball was in the air. We missed both shots, and I'm pretty sure that's the equivalent of goal tending. Iowa dominated us in every phase of the game, but I'm still wondering if those of you who watched on TV saw the backboard slaps the same way I did.

Reactions: Rusty_Screw_88
I didn’t see these (not saying didn’t happen). If player hits backboard while ball is above rim it’s goaltending.

I was yelling this in the arena. Yes it is goaltending and they didn’t call it. Also Iowa walked about 15 times in this game and they called it 1 time and it was on us. So much terrible officiating in the Big Te it’s unbelievable

Understand- I am NOT saying the officiating decided the final outcome

But Iowa walked a LOT of times. I was three rows from the court. It happened MULTIPLE times w/o a call. I seriously don’t know what game these refs are looking at some times

I was yelling this in the arena. Yes it is goaltending and they didn’t call it. Also Iowa walked about 15 times in this game and they called it 1 time and it was on us. So much terrible officiating in the Big Te it’s unbelievable
If Rutgers made shots, fans wouldn't be complaining about ref calls.

The refs were horrific but it went both ways imo. Our guys were off. Iowa was on.

I am very close to the court and there were walks not called and a few ended up with Iowa 3-pointers made.

The Refs were awful today.
It did matter in the outcome.

Reactions: #1 RUFan
My friend sitting next to me swore that Iowa did this twice and that it was goaltending. I was hoping for replays but of course none for me to see better.

I'm not 100% sure regarding the college rule but I don't think that slapping the backboard is goaltending.
If a player slaps the back board after attempting to block a shot it's nothing. If the ref believes that the player is slapping the back board intentionally he can assess a technical foul. Goaltending is all about the ball, the rim and the cylinder. Pretty sure that it has nothing to do with the backboard.
The only time that I can think of it being goaltending is if the ball is on the rim and a player strikes the backboard causing it to vibrate.

Reactions: fbc1866
College is being officiated more and more like the NBA where the rules don't matter as much as the entertainment value. It's horrible because that trickles down and you see HS and youth games getting the same treatment. But then you have a ref who calls the rules and everyone complains.

As a youth coach, I hated this because I'd work on jump stops, pivots, 1-2 footwork etc every practice and some games it paid off big time as we'd travel far less than other teams and then sometimes refs just didn't care and didn't call any of the sloppy travels.

Reactions: dconifer
It's funny how some on here say officiating doesn't affect the game. We shot poorly yesterday and our help defense got beat. We looked slow and like we were sleepwalking. I was surprised we didn't make better adjustments at halftime. Name of the game is to score more than your opponent. We didn't do that. The refs control the game, they can take a team out of their rhythm. We play aggressive but I saw a lot of chippy calls against us but not against them. And yes there was a lot of traveling by them, the crowd was going nuts. We got the score down to 6, but ran out of steam and time. Not the reason we lost, but to say the refs have no affect on the game I call bullshit.

Reactions: HPNJRUfan
It's funny how some on here say officiating doesn't affect the game. We shot poorly yesterday and our help defense got beat. We looked slow and like we were sleepwalking. I was surprised we didn't make better adjustments at halftime. Name of the game is to score more than your opponent. We didn't do that. The refs control the game, they can take a team out of their rhythm. We play aggressive but I saw a lot of chippy calls against us but not against them. And yes there was a lot of traveling by them, the crowd was going nuts. We got the score down to 6, but ran out of steam and time. Not the reason we lost, but to say the refs have no affect on the game I call bullshit.
Rutgers lost because they did not make their shots. This has been a fairly consistent theme for Rutgers. Make your shots, win the game!

Reactions: wheezer
Rutgers lost because they did not make their shots. This has been a fairly consistent theme for Rutgers. Make your shots, win the game!

You didn't read what I wrote. I said we shot poorly and the refs weren't the reason we lost. Some discount the affects of a poorly officiated game. It's always the same crowd.

Reactions: NJHoops190
lol…. We hit the backboard a few times on Iowa shot attempts, so hard, I could hear it on TV. Can we stop bitching about everything please?

Reactions: MiloTalon13
You didn't read what I wrote. I said we shot poorly and the refs weren't the reason we lost. Some discount the affects of a poorly officiated game. It's always the same crowd.
You stated the refs can take a team out of their rhythm. Rutgers had no rhythm right from the start of the game. So how could the refs undermine any rhythm when there wasn't any?

You stated the refs can take a team out of their rhythm. Rutgers had no rhythm right from the start of the game. So how could the refs undermine any rhythm when there wasn't any?

Again you didn't read what I wrote. I said generally speaking, there are those who say officiating doesn't affect our games. Not this particular game itself. I agree with you we had no rhythm. All good, have a good night.

Last edited:
My wife thought it was a problem that we were not committing ENOUGH fouls yesterday, she didn't think we were intense enough on D 🙂
She has a point, not necessarily about the Iowa game but about basketball strategy in general. We fouled the crap out of Purdue and came away with a win, in part because we disrupted their rhythm. Iowa moved the ball around so quickly and so efficiently, putting the ball on the shooter's hands right where he wants it, and setting high screens that were difficult for us to get around, that we couldn't slow down their offensive rhythm. It didn't help that some of our individual shots looked like middle-school level.

Reactions: Skull83
She has a point, not necessarily about the Iowa game but about basketball strategy in general. We fouled the crap out of Purdue and came away with a win, in part because we disrupted their rhythm. Iowa moved the ball around so quickly and so efficiently, putting the ball on the shooter's hands right where he wants it, and setting high screens that were difficult for us to get around, that we couldn't slow down their offensive rhythm. It didn't help that some of our individual shots looked like middle-school level.
It's harder to foul passers than it is to foul dribblers. Ball movement is the key to defeating physical defenses. Iowa had it AND they made shots.

Having said that, Payton Sandfort has taken 36 shots in the Big Ten this season and made 10 of them, 6 of those makes were against us. 1-14 from 3 vs the rest of the Big Ten, 4-5 vs us.

In the first half Iowa was on offense right in front of us, and getting around the screens on the outside was a definite issue, even for Mag. I wasn't sure if we just needed to work harder to fight through the screens or if there was another strategy we should be trying.

It's harder to foul passers than it is to foul dribblers. Ball movement is the key to defeating physical defenses. Iowa had it AND they made shots.

Having said that, Payton Sandfort has taken 36 shots in the Big Ten this season and made 10 of them, 6 of those makes were against us. 1-14 from 3 vs the rest of the Big Ten, 4-5 vs us.
Sandfort was on fire, some of his shots were wide open, but there were also some that were contested that you just had to tip your hat to the kid.

My wife thought it was a problem that we were not committing ENOUGH fouls yesterday, she didn't think we were intense enough on D 🙂
We weren’t, she’s right, we didn’t play our game the first 10 minutes for damn sure! Fouling (being physical) is a part of OUR game.

I don’t believe this is a goaltending call. As others have said, if the players were legit attempting to block the shot, not an issue. If they were slapping the backboard on purpose to move the glass, that could be called.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
Don't forget the 10 three second violations they didn't call either I just can't figure out what 3 refs are looking at!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT