ADVERTISEMENT

Really hard to get a handle on this year’s team.

Agree with some of the posters above - the inconsistency will continue to surface. That’s what happens when you overhaul 1/3 of the roster and add multiple new key contributors. Think there are a lot of promising highlights to hang our hat on. Gavin looks like a player, JMike’s game reminds me a lot of Russell Westbrooks. If Cliff and Simpson return back to form from end of last year, watch out - we could surprise a few of teams. Don’t think finishing in top 4-5 of conference is out of the question.

Reactions: RUDivision
Cam was not a good defender at all! Couldn’t finish at the rim or create his own shot. Great shooter
Cam was a terrible on ball defender, but was very capable off the ball defender. As you say he couldnt finish at the rim and can't create a shot attempt off the ball with a screen like gavin can.

Time will tell how much our offense needs him to score. That is definitely part of the equation. If we can get out in transition, our guards can create off the dribble and get Cliff involved, if Hyatt can stay impactful on offense, if Noah can do what I think/hope he can do then we might not need Gavin being able to rub off a wing screen and make a defender pay for not fighting thru screen

Confused Paul averaged less then 5 assists last year and so far Derek in limited minutes is averaging 4.5/5 I think or Close to it. As we move through the year and bench shortens Noah and Derek will easily exceed those assits.
I'm not sure to what extent you watched the games the past few seasons but Paul was effective at dishing to Cliff in big spots. Hopefully you're right that over the course of the season the other guards will do the same.

Reactions: ChasRC69
Attended every game in person at home or in the area I.e MSG. Watched every game that I didn’t attend and yes Paul backed down in the lane or lob to cliff was definitely a great play. Just a little revisionist history on how much that happened and how many times it was turned over. Lots to like about that team but it reached its ceiling and missed the tournament. We all hope the changing of the roster find its self but the assists numbers will be the same if not better . Go RU

Cam was probably elite level off ball defender. Elite playing of passing lanes. Elite hands. Elite instincts. Poor one on one defender

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT