Are you ready for it?
Oh, are you ready for it?
Baby, let the games begin
Let the games begin
Let the games begin (now)
Let the games begin
Let the games begin

Now that I got the Swifties attention, I am completely serious when I ask is Rutgers ready for it? Are they ready to face a top tier Big 10 team even at home. A team in Illinois that is physical, can play tough defense and has offensive talent that dwarfs what Rutgers possesses. The quizzes and the open book tests are over. Grading on a curve is out the window. Rutgers will have to produce vs Illinois in ways they have only shown glimpses of in their tuneups. Tonight's performance on the offensive game has me worried.

Look for starters how in the hell can anyone complain about a 31 point win at home. Wins are great. St Peter's was truly horrid and thumped them by jumping on them defensively setting the tone and them stomping on the overmatched Peacocks throats in the 2nd half. Rutgers was really locked in defensively early on. Despite all the talk about how much higher scoring this team will be, one thing is clear, Pikiell is once again going to lean on defense as Rutgers identity above everything else. Have to like RU causing multiple 10 second violations and multiple shot clock violations while forcing St Peter's into 11 turnovers in the first half. St Peter's was held to just 7 fg and 17 points in the first half. RU would outscore the Peacocks 29-9 over a 13 minute stretch spanning from later in the first half all the way to almost midway through the 2nd to build an insurmountable 49-24 lead. Cliff got untracked defensively and it seemed like everyone from Gavin to J Mike to Hyatt was picking up a steal or 2 enroute to a dozen total.

Yet if may be easy to see why Pike is focused more on a defensive rotation to begin the game when you look at how inefficient and clumsy the Rutgers offense looked for much of this game. That sense of purpose offensively is really missing and its not the first time I am saying it after a game. I will say Noah Fernades was very very good tonight. Heady play by a 5th year senior is exactly the game you want to see from him heading into Illinois. Whether he can replicate those moves and draw fouls vs faster and more physical teams will be the acid test. For this game though 9-9 at the line, 5-9 fg, 19 points, 4 boards, 3 assists. No problem with Noah tonight. He was the one player playing with that sense of purpose.

Unfortunately our starting lineup while best defensively is likely our worst offensively and its not even close. No surprise that we are anemic to start games. Tonight scoreless for 4 minutes and still just 11 points over 10 minutes into the game. That early scoring funk is contagious and its just making them tighter and tighter early on. There really is no reason to be struggling so badly in the half court vs St Peters. That does not give one confidence for Big 10 play. To cause 11 turnovers but still be struggling to convert them into point makes you wonder if all the extra focus on defense is worth it if there is no reward on the offensive end. Even when RU went on a little run going up 18-9 forcing a Peacock timeout, they fell into another ugly stretch of offense scoring just 2 points in 6 minutes on 1-7 fg shooting and missing 3 free throws including 2 one and ones. Simpson had 3 missed shots alone. Rutgers ultimately survived and built the lead back to 10 at half. Yet what they can get by vs St Peters will not work vs Illinois. That two seperate stretches 10 minutes total scoring just 2 points.

Incredibly worried about this. Where is the offensive coming from. Hyatt was a brutal 2-11 fg and is still forcing most of his shots. Derek falling in love with outside shots worked for him early as he looked good 3-4 fg but then missed his last 4 and didnt even take a shot in the 2nd half. Cliff was struggling to hit a shot over a bunch of smaller players and seemingly can only find success on alley oops. Gavin only took 5 shots and has yet to be integrated by Pike into the gameplan. The foul shooting is not good....23-32 but started 1-5 and missing several one and ones. Davis is going to need to start making them or he is going to sit in important moments. Wolfolk is becoming an almost auto miss. Hyatts free throws look way too hard. I will not even get into the rebounding issues which were particularly ugly in the first half. Yes I realize St Peters came into this game with strong rebounding stats but getting outboarded 31-14 and 11-3 on the offensive boards in the first half is inexcusable.

I contend that Pike is still trying to force a square peg into a round hole with his starting lineup. Having Cliff, Hyatt, Wolf to start the game is just going to torpedo fast starts. Gavin needs more minutes. I contend he has to start and that he has not been integrated into the offense as a 2nd or third option is borderline criminal. I think Wolf can make solid contributions to this team. I do not see it being as a starter. Also Hyatt played 28 minutes which is tops on the team yet he had a dreadful game. I ask what has Hyatt done to deserve as many minutes as he has had. If his shot is not on, his defeciencies seemed to be magnified. What is the leash on Derek. He took 8 shots in the first half and to me that is just too many because he think he has a Geo outside shot which he does not. Should we abandon trying to give Cliff on the ball on anything but an alley oop. Do we trust J Mike trying to drive into trees.

So this recap may be a total negative freakout overreaction but resumes are not made by beating St Peter's at home by 31. They are beat by knocking off a top tier BIg 10 team at home, going on the road and winning at a mediocre ACC program and going up to Newark and knocking off a middling Seton Hall in a rivarly game. Rutgers has DEFINITELY improved from the Princeton game and by and large most of the players individual have also took strides from game to game Where that puts them is the big unknown. Rutgers has had Illinois number lately I think 4 wins in last 5. Illinois has a tendency to throw some clunkers in and the game is at the RAC where RU is supposedly tough to beat. Yet did you know RU has lost its last 3 Big 10 games at the RAC. Expecting a packed RAC and it will need to be rocking to give this team a lift. Somehow I see Pike wanting to win this one 58-56 in an ugly scrum with multiple players in foul trouble and both teams throwing up bricks and all this analysis and worry will not matter because it will inevitably come down to defense....right????.....tell me things will be okay.

Are you ready for it?
Let the games begin
Let the games begin
Let the games begin

Now that I got the Swifties attention, I am completely serious when I ask is Rutgers ready for it? Are they ready to face a top tier Big 10 team even at home. A team in Illinois that is physical, can play tough defense and has offensive talent that dwarfs what Rutgers possesses. The quizzes and the open book tests are over. Grading on a curve is out the window. Rutgers will have to produce vs Illinois in ways they have only shown glimpses of in their tuneups. Tonight's performance on the offensive game has me worried.

Look for starters how in the hell can anyone complain about a 31 point win at home. Wins are great. St Peter's was truly horrid and thumped them by jumping on them defensively setting the tone and them stomping on the overmatched Peacocks throats in the 2nd half. Rutgers was really locked in defensively early on. Despite all the talk about how much higher scoring this team will be, one thing is clear, Pikiell is once again going to lean on defense as Rutgers identity above everything else. Have to like RU causing multiple 10 second violations and multiple shot clock violations while forcing St Peter's into 11 turnovers in the first half. St Peter's was held to just 7 fg and 17 points in the first half. RU would outscore the Peacocks 29-9 over a 13 minute stretch spanning from later in the first half all the way to almost midway through the 2nd to build an insurmountable 49-24 lead. Cliff got untracked defensively and it seemed like everyone from Gavin to J Mike to Hyatt was picking up a steal or 2 enroute to a dozen total.

Yet if may be easy to see why Pike is focused more on a defensive rotation to begin the game when you look at how inefficient and clumsy the Rutgers offense looked for much of this game. That sense of purpose offensively is really missing and its not the first time I am saying it after a game. I will say Noah Fernades was very very good tonight. Heady play by a 5th year senior is exactly the game you want to see from him heading into Illinois. Whether he can replicate those moves and draw fouls vs faster and more physical teams will be the acid test. For this game though 9-9 at the line, 5-9 fg, 19 points, 4 boards, 3 assists. No problem with Noah tonight. He was the one player playing with that sense of purpose.

Unfortunately our starting lineup while best defensively is likely our worst offensively and its not even close. No surprise that we are anemic to start games. Tonight scoreless for 4 minutes and still just 11 points over 10 minutes into the game. That early scoring funk is contagious and its just making them tighter and tighter early on. There really is no reason to be struggling so badly in the half court vs St Peters. That does not give one confidence for Big 10 play. To cause 11 turnovers but still be struggling to convert them into point makes you wonder if all the extra focus on defense is worth it if there is no reward on the offensive end. Even when RU went on a little run going up 18-9 forcing a Peacock timeout, they fell into another ugly stretch of offense scoring just 2 points in 6 minutes on 1-7 fg shooting and missing 3 free throws including 2 one and ones. Simpson had 3 missed shots alone. Rutgers ultimately survived and built the lead back to 10 at half. Yet what they can get by vs St Peters will not work vs Illinois. That two seperate stretches 10 minutes total scoring just 2 points.

Incredibly worried about this. Where is the offensive coming from. Hyatt was a brutal 2-11 fg and is still forcing most of his shots. Derek falling in love with outside shots worked for him early as he looked good 3-4 fg but then missed his last 4 and didnt even take a shot in the 2nd half. Cliff was struggling to hit a shot over a bunch of smaller players and seemingly can only find success on alley oops. Gavin only took 5 shots and has yet to be integrated by Pike into the gameplan. The foul shooting is not good....23-32 but started 1-5 and missing several one and ones. Davis is going to need to start making them or he is going to sit in important moments. Wolfolk is becoming an almost auto miss. Hyatts free throws look way too hard. I will not even get into the rebounding issues which were particularly ugly in the first half. Yes I realize St Peters came into this game with strong rebounding stats but getting outboarded 31-14 and 11-3 on the offensive boards in the first half is inexcusable.

I contend that Pike is still trying to force a square peg into a round hole with his starting lineup. Having Cliff, Hyatt, Wolf to start the game is just going to torpedo fast starts. Gavin needs more minutes. I contend he has to start and that he has not been integrated into the offense as a 2nd or third option is borderline criminal. I think Wolf can make solid contributions to this team. I do not see it being as a starter. Also Hyatt played 28 minutes which is tops on the team yet he had a dreadful game. I ask what has Hyatt done to deserve as many minutes as he has had. If his shot is not on, his defeciencies seemed to be magnified. What is the leash on Derek. He took 8 shots in the first half and to me that is just too many because he think he has a Geo outside shot which he does not. Should we abandon trying to give Cliff on the ball on anything but an alley oop. Do we trust J Mike trying to drive into trees.

So this recap may be a total negative freakout overreaction but resumes are not made by beating St Peter's at home by 31. They are beat by knocking off a top tier BIg 10 team at home, going on the road and winning at a mediocre ACC program and going up to Newark and knocking off a middling Seton Hall in a rivarly game. Rutgers has DEFINITELY improved from the Princeton game and by and large most of the players individual have also took strides from game to game Where that puts them is the big unknown. Rutgers has had Illinois number lately I think 4 wins in last 5. Illinois has a tendency to throw some clunkers in and the game is at the RAC where RU is supposedly tough to beat. Yet did you know RU has lost its last 3 Big 10 games at the RAC. Expecting a packed RAC and it will need to be rocking to give this team a lift. Somehow I see Pike wanting to win this one 58-56 in an ugly scrum with multiple players in foul trouble and both teams throwing up bricks and all this analysis and worry will not matter because it will inevitably come down to defense....right????.....tell me things will be okay.

Hyatt is a brutal watch at times when he forces the issue, over dribbles, and chucks up bad shots. One thing he does a decent job of is rebounding for a guy his size. If Mag is not available Saturday, would like to see Hyatt and Gavin start at the forwards, with Wolf backing up Cliff at Center. It’s time that Gavin’s minutes begin to bump up at least a little. This team has issues with offense and would love to see Gavin’s shooting on the floor a little more. Ideally, I want Mag and Gavin starting at the forwards but they may not have that option Saturday. I like Hyatt off the bench best just like his role in previous seasons.

My take:

- St Peter’s is an awful squad

- I just hope our inability to shoot free throws / to rebound effectively / to just shoot overall improves significantly otherwise these next 3 games may be quite frustrating

- Was hoping to see Mag play today. We desperately need him. Just hoping he’s “back “ by the time conference games commence in January

- Glad to see Austin Williams back.

The team will be as good as Noah and Cliff can take them. Those two are the key. Sprinkle in more Gavin and a few big games from Simpson and they have a chance for a good year. They need a lot to go right unfortunately.

Reactions: goru7 and Loyal-Son
We’re treating Hyatt like he’s a top B1G 3/4 good for 15+ per game. He’s a decent 6th man at best. He can’t be our leader. Until coaches figure that out, we’re going to have trouble.
Limited options IMO .

I remain in the “I don’t understand what we’re doing with Gavin” camp. Everyone knows that he needs to get thicker and isn’t a plus defender. But, the kid can shoot and he’s a willing driver. Yet, we run almost nothing for him and he often spends offensive possessions sitting in the corner waiting for a touch. I get that it gives you floor balance but it also makes him a non-factor on the offensive glass. We had no chance of losing last night. It would’ve been interesting to see Gavin with the ball in his hands a lot more.

Gavin needs to be integrated into the offense but it appears we are headed back to ISO ball. There were several extended possessions where only Noah or Derek touched the ball. If we are going to head back to one on one play Gavin is probably our best choice for that role.

We were playing chess. We have Cliff who had led the nation in dunks and Gavin who is on the NBA draft board for 2025. Need to stop f'ing around with our pawn and use our pieces and get the king.

Instead of using screens to get Gavin open or using screens to help Cliff to get good inside position with a wing ready to give him the ball we have Aundre early in the shot clock taking a 3 pointer off the dribble. He is launching one foot beyond the line and landing one foot inside the line and the ball has a side spin.

hyatt is infuriating to watch. He refuses to move the ball on the catch and swing it for the one more pass. I saw bits and pieces of the game last night but there were countless times Gavin was open in the corner where if he just swings or penetrates and kicks gavin has a wide open 3. Instead, he puts his head down and either forces a bad shot, or gets stuck and then the defense has recovered. This happens countless times a game with him. Its selfish and not an efficient way to play basketball. We're not talking about Kevin Durant forcing the issues, we're talking about a 35 percent shooter. Ridiculous and he should ride the pine for plays like these.

Are you ready for it?
Let the games begin
Let the games begin
Let the games begin

Gavin HAS GOT to start that line up played the first 5 minutes of the first half and almost 6 minutes of the second half and for lack of better words it is offensive and not in a good way; cliff has proven already that he has not improved one iota and just has no game around the hoop and when the ball goes into him it is a black hole; Gavin is by far and away our best shooter and of course even when he is in we run zero plays to get him open; if we run one off the ball screen in a game that is a lot(as an aside we rarely ran anything to get Cam open last year) I would rather Gavin take 8-10 3 pointers a game than all the other players combined, and I know his defense is lacking but that is just something we have to accept; he also has great BBall IQ which many of our guys dont have so Pikell needs to start him or we will be behind by 6-10 points in the first 4-5 minutes of every Big game

We were playing chess. We have Cliff who had led the nation in dunks and Gavin who is on the NBA draft board for 2025. Need to stop f'ing around with our pawn and use our pieces and get the king.

Instead of using screens to get Gavin open or using screens to help Cliff to get good inside position with a wing ready to give him the ball we have Aundre early in the shot clock taking a 3 pointer off the dribble. He is launching one foot beyond the line and landing one foot inside the line and the ball has a side spin.
I just wrote below we NEVER EVER run off the ball screens to get our shooters open it basic basketball 1010 and we don't do it very perplexing when all of our coaches are guards and no one can coach offense!!

I just wrote below we NEVER EVER run off the ball screens to get our shooters open it basic basketball 1010 and we don't do it very perplexing when all of our coaches are guards and no one can coach offense!!
I am hoping we see it now that the season is started. Gavin's 2nd made 3 was a thing of beauty where we executed and used screens to get an open look. I saw a 5 minute highlight and for some reason that play didn't make it. I wanted to watch it again.

You were too hard on Derek Simpson. In the first 15 minutes of the game he was the only one who showed up on offense and looked like he didnt eat too much turkey. Im not sure what happened in the second half why he didnt shoot, hope the coaches didnt say something to him at halftime, because he has that Geo Baker in him where we go on a scoring drought and he says enough is enough and nails a timely 3. That doesnt show up on the stat sheet

You were too hard on Derek Simpson. In the first 15 minutes of the game he was the only one who showed up on offense and looked like he didnt eat too much turkey. Im not sure what happened in the second half why he didnt shoot, hope the coaches didnt say something to him at halftime, because he has that Geo Baker in him where we go on a scoring drought and he says enough is enough and nails a timely 3. That doesnt show up on the stat sheet
Derek is the point guard and it is great when he scores, but the onus has to be on the 3 point guards to get others the ball. All preseason I was hearing that we will be better offensively because our guards can get in the paint and get easy buckets for Cliff. I am still waiting for our guards to penetrate and look for others as opposed to having their head down and trying to get to the rim.

I did see one play last night where Noah penetrated under control, with his head up looking for Cliff, and when help stayed on Cliff he made the right play and scored.

Take the win and be happy while realizing there are problems with rebounding,foul shooting and long scoring droughts.The starting lineup needs change with Griffiths starting instead of Wolfolk.The half court offense simply doesn't effectively utilize Griffiths similar to Spencer last season.Cliff should be far more effective as a offensive threat around the basket but he doesn't use the backboard to make baskets.Fernandes looks like the go to scorer based on the last couple games.

The competition really steps up with the next three games.Rutgers can win all three games if the offense gets better organized and the rebounding improves.Rutgers can also lose all three games if the status quo remains.I don't buy the opinion that this seasons team is better offensively especially when it comes to the performance of Cliff at the center position.

The starting lineup needs change with Griffiths starting instead of Wolfolk.The half court offense simply doesn't effectively utilize Griffiths similar to Spencer last season.
That's the issue......why would we start Gavin, have him in the corner on offense doing nothing, and then be a liability on defense.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
I am hoping we see it now that the season is started. Gavin's 2nd made 3 was a thing of beauty where we executed and used screens to get an open look. I saw a 5 minute highlight and for some reason that play didn't make it. I wanted to watch it again.
You see that play and it makes you wonder why we never seem to run these types of plays more often. The best part is, even if the defense plays it well and can close out on Gavin, he can use that against them and attack off the dribble in a way Cam could not

#LetGavinCook

I don't understand why we don't screen away for Cliff and make his defender have to move and not just push him further away from the basket.
Agreed. If Wolf is in there, have him set a screen away for Cliff coming across the lane. Cliff needs to have the ball deep in the post for any chance of decent offense. Also wouldn't mind Wolf getting some post touches. If he's in at the 4, he likely has a size mismatch. He passes well. Shown some flashes of post moves

I am beyond pleased with how the 3 point guards are defending.
Elite

You see that play and it makes you wonder why we never seem to run these types of plays more often. The best part is, even if the defense plays it well and can close out on Gavin, he can use that against them and attack off the dribble in a way Cam could not

#LetGavinCook

Agreed. If Wolf is in there, have him set a screen away for Cliff coming across the lane. Cliff needs to have the ball deep in the post for any chance of decent offense. Also wouldn't mind Wolf getting some post touches. If he's in at the 4, he likely has a size mismatch. He passes well. Shown some flashes of post moves

Elite
1. Aundre could be setting the screen. He needs to be rewired to rebounding, doing little things like setting screens, obviously defending, knocking down open catch and shoot 3s, get to the rim when shot clock has 4-5 seconds on it!

2. #LetGuardsCookSoGavinCanEat

I didn't attend or watch the game last night. After reading these reviews the solution seems clear. We need a healthy Mag in the lineup to make up for Griffith's defensive deficiency, When we have a starting lineup of Omoruyi, Mag, Griffiths, Simpson, and Fernandez, we will be at our best. As long as the players I didn't mention are getting major minutes and integral to our success or failure, we'll struggle to be a .500 team.

Maybe I’m alone here but I for one was very encouraged last night. Our defensive intensity was incredible. We have three guards that can be elite defenders and we can press for most of the game because of our depth. St. Peter’s has several athletic guards and they could barely get the ball across half court on most possessions. When they did, the couldn't get into a set until there was 10-15 seconds on the shot clock. We turned them over at an insane clip.

I worry too about the offense but pikiell has proven year after year he can win games on the defensive end and last night was Jacob young level D from the guards. There are a lot of new pieces and no mag. The team should improve as the year goes on.

It’s always all about defense with Pike. Gavin isn’t integrated on O because there is no offensive game plan other than get the ball into Cliff and tell your guards to make some plays.

Need to get Gavin some opportunities where he is the beneficiary of ball screens. He has the skill set. Definitely feels like he’s being held back.

Also, agree that Pike has a bizarre tolerance for Hyatt dribbling off his foot or taking bad shots. I will say that Hyatt was more active on the boards than usual and brought other intangibles.

Guards need to stop forcing entry passes to Cliff when he's so far from the basket. He's not backing anyone down so he ends up taking awkward turnarounds. He was always better with Geo and Paul when they drove and found him as opposed to setting up on the block.

To be clear I think this is a coaching thing. I think Noah and Derek and JMike are being told to get Cliff touches. But he's not an efficient scorer from that setup.

Guards need to stop forcing entry passes to Cliff when he's so far from the basket. He's not backing anyone down so he ends up taking awkward turnarounds. He was always better with Geo and Paul when they drove and found him as opposed to setting up on the block.

To be clear I think this is a coaching thing. I think Noah and Derek and JMike are being told to get Cliff touches. But he's not an efficient scorer from that setup.
When St. Peter's says we are going to defend Cliff straight up and not bring a 2nd player to double you have to make them pay. We did a terrible job making them pay. Having Cliff to go to the low blocks and try to get deep position is low level. Simple screening and having guards reverse the ball a few times and get it to the wing at the right time and Cliff should have the ball in better/deeper position.

hyatt is infuriating to watch. He refuses to move the ball on the catch and swing it for the one more pass. I saw bits and pieces of the game last night but there were countless times Gavin was open in the corner where if he just swings or penetrates and kicks gavin has a wide open 3. Instead, he puts his head down and either forces a bad shot, or gets stuck and then the defense has recovered. This happens countless times a game with him. Its selfish and not an efficient way to play basketball. We're not talking about Kevin Durant forcing the issues, we're talking about a 35 percent shooter. Ridiculous and he should ride the pine for plays like these.
Infuriating is the right word. Hyatt is playing like a man who delusionally thinks he can make the pros if he has a good enough final year. You're right; he puts his head down and is unaware of/doesn't care about open teammates like Gavin.

Gavin HAS GOT to start that line up played the first 5 minutes of the first half and almost 6 minutes of the second half and for lack of better words it is offensive and not in a good way; cliff has proven already that he has not improved one iota and just has no game around the hoop and when the ball goes into him it is a black hole; Gavin is by far and away our best shooter and of course even when he is in we run zero plays to get him open; if we run one off the ball screen in a game that is a lot(as an aside we rarely ran anything to get Cam open last year) I would rather Gavin take 8-10 3 pointers a game than all the other players combined, and I know his defense is lacking but that is just something we have to accept; he also has great BBall IQ which many of our guys dont have so Pikell needs to start him or we will be behind by 6-10 points in the first 4-5 minutes of every Big game
Agree with most of this, but question... what have you seen to indicate GG has a great bball IQ? I'm not saying he doesn't, I just don't really recall any definitive evidence of this.

1. Aundre could be setting the screen. He needs to be rewired to rebounding, doing little things like setting screens, obviously defending, knocking down open catch and shoot 3s, get to the rim when shot clock has 4-5 seconds on it!

2. #LetGuardsCookSoGavinCanEat
This 100%. We need him on the glass right now so he can’t be on the bench. But he also cannot be our go to scorer.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Agree with most of this, but question... what have you seen to indicate GG has a great bball IQ? I'm not saying he doesn't, I just don't really recall any definitive evidence of this.
It is amazing how he can be so advanced offensively and so UNadvanced defensively. Getting so much better learning how to play D. He is now tracking the ball and his defender so much better. It is becoming more natural.

Offensively he knows how to use a screen, understands spacing, jumpstops and is in complete control with the ball in his hands, and has vision. Obviously he is still adjusting to what works in college and he is in for an adjustment period with the length and quickness he will now see once our schedule changes.

Are you ready for it?
Let the games begin
Let the games begin
Let the games begin

I’m not worried about the offensive scheme. We missed a lot of shots that were classic “good looks”. We need better players to can those shots…and those players are on the way. No help for this year though.

You may be right, albeit too hyperbolic, about GG needing a bigger role on O. But he’s only been playing reasonable D for 2 games now. Not wise to spend too much time building your O around a player that seems lost half the time….which was the case until recently. Let’s see how Pike adjusts.

It is amazing how he can be so advanced offensively and so UNadvanced defensively. Getting so much better learning how to play D. He is now tracking the ball and his defender so much better. It is becoming more natural.

Offensively he knows how to use a screen, understands spacing, jumpstops and is in complete control with the ball in his hands, and has vision. Obviously he is still adjusting to what works in college and he is in for an adjustment period with the length and quickness he will now see once our schedule changes.

Defense is much less of a focus in club ball and clinics for AAU. Believe me - I wish it wasn’t. The mentality tends to be that defense is all about effort. I don’t agree at all. Bought a D-slide for my boys…. You cross your legs, you get beat every time. But it takes a lot of off ball game work to improve.

The odd thing about Gavin though is his issue doesn’t seem to be the footwork, its more the complexity of the help and switch schemes at this level. My guess is his previous teams kept things very simple on the defensive end. In my less than expert opinion, Gavin is going to pick up the D quickly. Defense is to an extent about willingness and attitude, but that’s mostly true when it comes to kids who need the footwork stuff I reference corrected. It’s not fun to spend hours working on your slides and lateral movement. Kids like Jaden Jones who come in without good footwork sometimes don’t want to put in the time and work needed to improve to where it needs to be to not get beat. That doesn’t seem to be Gavin’s issue. Most of his work on D is probably coming in the film room.

Last edited:
The team will be as good as Noah and Cliff can take them. Those two are the key. Sprinkle in more Gavin and a few big games from Simpson and they have a chance for a good year. They need a lot to go right unfortunately.
It is interesting you mentioned those 4 names , Noah, Cliff, Gavin and Derek in that order. Because to me those are probably the 4 guys who have the best chance to have breakout games and get us 20 points or close to it on any night. Our NCAA teams with Ron , Geo , Jacob had that ability and this team , who many perceive as weaker , still have that ability. Noah had 19 the other night against St. Peter’s and double figures the last 3 games and becoming more consistent and a true threat. Cliff has the ability for 20 points, 10 rebounds every night. Derek had 23 against Howard and double figures in the last 4 games. Gavin has not done it yet but he is due for a 5-5 three point game and is more than capable of a 4-8 or 5-9 three point night most nights. All 4 , especially Derek , Noah are very good foul shooters. Noah and Derek ‘s continued penetration and driving to the hoop creating fouls puts them on the line for 4-6 points a night. That must continue , along with their full court defensive steals leading to another 2-4 points , gets you those hidden points that fans forget about . I expect each of the 4 to have about 5 games this season where they get 20 points or close to it. If we can get all 4 to consistently get in the teens every night we will be very successful. They have to be the 4 guys taking the most shots every night. Not Hyatt, not Wolf , not JMike ( not yet) , not Oscar , not Williams .

Reactions: Scangg
I’m more impressed that there are Swfities in this forum whose attention must be grabbed…I thought those were mainly overly emo white women 10-30 recording tearful TikTok “men suck” videos (and gay dudes)…not the demographic of cranky but loveable old dudes this place seems full of?

Weird! 😎

• Haha
Reactions: bac2therac
This thread is almost as bad as the offseason threads this summer. The level of being in denial about the roster and roles is comically bad.

There's a growing number of fans who still don't answer the obvious question about scoring and 3 point shooting and then the conversation eventually twists back to fans disdain for Hyatt and this borderline delusional point of view on a glue guy in Mawot Mag.

The RU team is trying to move to an up tempo faster paced offense.....then when that happens, that actually means players (Simpson, Fernandes, Griffiths and Hyatt) all benefit from being able or capable of taking a shot in transition. Yet, only one of the players (Hyatt) is consistently being dragged for taking the same shot attempts that any of the 4 players should be taking or looking for their own offense.

I will repeat what has been stated now a dozen times.....there is NO path for success, if you don't generate at least 8 to 10 3 point attempts per game from Hyatt and Griffiths.....only because those two players (and maybe Oskar) are the only true capable players of shooting 3s or scoring in transition from those positions.

Yet, I see fans trying to twist themselves into a pretzel, with odd lineups that don't include Hyatt and insert Mag, as if that change is suddenly going to increase the 3 point shot attempts for the team.

If Mawot Mag was that type of player AND he was the plus rebounder, defender and could handle the ball and create his own offense, don't you think he would already be a locked in starter as a freshman or sophomore a couple of years ago??

We are attempting to be not as 3 point reliant on a week to week basis like last year with Spencer and Hyatt, because neither player would consistently try to score off the dribble and maneuver towards the basket. It serves no purpose to believe that RU can play offense and only have one 3 point threat on the court in Gavin Griffiths and not have Hyatt as a 2nd option on the wing, to compliment the guards or Cliff inside.

I get fans dislike for Hyatt is that strong, that they're blinded into other lineups.....but in a team sport, players are asked to not just do what Hyatt did last year and be a stationary, corner 3 point shooter. He is being asked to do more than that......yet the fanbase actually discussing this as if the staff doesn't need him to do that or require the player to do that, somehow is lost here.

Who else beyond Gavin or Hyatt, is a threat from 3 point range, can actually put the ball on the floor and maneuver to score?? Is it Oskar, Chol....Are we ready to allow Woolfolk that freedom or has he shown that skill set to do that?? The answer is "No".....

So it is Hyatt or bust folks....there is no skill set that has been shown in any games played, that Mawot Mag is that type of offensive player, catch and shoot 3 point player or has that skill set. He is a defensive rebounding forward first, a glue guy, good help defender and if he is left open as the 5th option on the floor and is unguarded, should be able to score. That is his game folks, nothing more and especially not in transition, being asked to catch and shoot before a defense is set.

The team (including Hyatt, Simpson, Davis, Fernandes and others) are being asked to drive into open lanes presented by the defense and create shot opportunities to score, then dish to find another player. No one is preventing anyone from cutting to the open space and finding room to score. It does take time to develop a new offense and new mindset, yet fans want microwave results, 6 games into a season.

I would like to see the fans provide actual objective and real discussions, it's to a point where basketball evaluation and reality is being twisted into ways of the land of make believe. This is big-time basketball and requires a full skill set and options to play multiple styles. Last years slow down style, didn't work over a 4 month timeframe.....thinking about players in last year's context, isn't reality for this year's roster.

Reactions: RU84 and Eagleton96
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT