ADVERTISEMENT

Is it time to start Gavin?

Who should start at the 4 if Mag is out?

• Hyatt

Votes: 12 11.4%
  • Griffiths

Votes: 89 84.8%
  • Oskar

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • #FreeChol

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
His improving defense is one of the contributing factors for the argument to start him
improving....certainly
good...no

he is still afraid of contact. he almost hurt the nebraska player when instead of taking the charge he started getting out of the way

Yes, the future is now start Gavin saw things last night that showed signs he may live up to his ranking. I would like to see more of that and less of Hyatt.

improving....certainly
good...no

he is still afraid of contact. he almost hurt the nebraska player when instead of taking the charge he started getting out of the way
Is taking a change still a thing with this team ?

improving....certainly
good...no

Improving recently, but the last game he might have actually been good. He certainly had many good defensive possessions for sure

Honestly I was driving back during the 1st half of first half and my feed was lagging so watched most of it on my phone so I definitely didn't catch everything and would need to rewatch

What defensive grade would you give Gavin yesterday? What did Hyatt earn?

The issue is to give Griffiths maximum minutes to further enhance his skillset for next season where a 3 point shooter will be needed to offset the defensive pressure on Bailey and Harper.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
doesn’t matter who starters …just want to see 24 plus minute of Gavin for rest of the year PROVIDED he continues to show on defense , both on direct man and team defense

Hyatt clearly losses Effecticity when he plays too many minutes . 24 tops is probably best for him

As I said MONTHS ago. He needs more touches. He’s getting more experience and confidence. Run him. Sit Dre. Bring him off for spark

improving....certainly
good...no

He was very good on D in the Nebraska game. I have not seen him be “good” on D previously. There have been games where he didn’t hurt us but that’s different from being good. Last night was a first. That’s encouraging.

It takes more than one strong performance to warrant a major rotation shift, but the intriguing thing for me was how physical Gavin was in the paint. I thought the notion of him at the 4 was laughable before yesterday but he surprised me with his rebounding and physicality contesting in the paint. The announcers seemed surprised by it too. Having said that - the bar for surpassing Hyatt at the 4 is a lower defensive bar than the guard spots where we have all plus defenders except Noah. So my answr would be - not yet but something to watch for the BIG tourney. We need to see how Gavin looks the next few games on D.

How did Gavin look tonight? Was traveling and couldn’t catch the game

5a78c387-735b-4422-98ee-ede437780976_text.gif

Going into the season hearing Hyatt was our go to scorer should have worried everyone tbh

At the time I said that last season ended with everyone wanting Hyatt gone and he lost minutes for Oskar.

Then he hit a couple 3s overseas against a couple Div 3 teams and people were proclaiming a 5th year breakout season.

It never really made sense.

Took 3 steps forward on O and 2 steps backwards on D tonight.

Lots of blow bys, a bunch of bad close outs and a lots of OREB in front of him.

He is losing his man less and he is making confident decisions on D which is inportant even if he isnt making the right ones.

At the time I said that last season ended with everyone wanting Hyatt gone and he lost minutes for Oskar.

Then he hit a couple 3s overseas against a couple Div 3 teams and people were proclaiming a 5th year breakout season.

It never really made sense.
To be fair Hyatt was better early in the season but it's back to back years he's gotten worse down the stretch

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
To be fair Hyatt was better early in the season but it's back to back years he's gotten worse down the stretch
That’s what makes a great player great. The ability to consistently do it night in and night out regardless of the level of competition.

All these guys are talented, you’re not playing D1 basketball if you aren’t. Even the guys getting limited minutes are studs in the grand scheme of things

I know I was ridiculed for using the stats from the “last 4 games” as my reasoning why Gavin should start.

Tonight I will be upping this to the last FIVE games played. Hopefully this quiets the haters.

Gavin: 9-22 3pt (41%), 21 rebounds, 7 assists, 5 blocks, 2 steals, 1 TO, 37 points (103 min)

Hyatt: 3-17 3pt (18%), 16 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 blocks, 6 steals, 7 TO, 36 points (114 min)

I know I was ridiculed for using the stats from the “last 4 games” as my reasoning why Gavin should start.

Tonight I will be upping this to the last FIVE games played. Hopefully this quiets the haters.

Gavin: 9-22 3pt (41%), 21 rebounds, 7 assists, 5 blocks, 2 steals, 1 TO, 37 points (103 min)

Hyatt: 3-17 3pt (18%), 16 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 blocks, 6 steals, 7 TO, 36 points (114 min)
and now I think he is over Hyatt on the depth chart. His D was bad last night, but he is giving effort.

you were only heckled by me....believe me I am the king of cherry picking....I do it all the time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT