ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 2 BOSTON UNIVERSITY: Go Go Gavin

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
He is the G Force. He has the G Factor. He makes the G Shot. Some of those shots last night were approaching the G Spot. His name is Gavin Griffiths. Just toss the Princeton game. Gavin rode pine through much of the Princeton game as he looked a bit lost. Not the most opportune game even for a talented freshmen to make his collegiate debut. Gavin rode pine through much of the Princeton game as he looked a bit lost. Pike kept him there even as RU desperately needed scoring late. Maybe somebody we find out why. Last night Gavin was everything and then some. Some hyped players can come in and it takes a bit to show their stuff, some seemingly show only bits and pieces, some never do at all. Its quite a good feeling when you see a star with all the tools, the vision, the iq, the confidence burgeon right in front of your eyes. Mark this down in the book, a 4 minute span where Gavin scored 12 points will go down as the official arrival of Gavin Griffiths and when he ingratiated himself to the Rutgers faithful which had them genuflexing in appreciating. A couple of sweet looking 3s, two dunks, and making the suddenly ever elusive free throws for RU, Gavin responsible for RU's best sustained stretch of basketball this season where they took a 15 point lead and increased it to 60-32 on a 19-6 run that left the Terriers headed bac 2 the dog pound.

Gavin finished 9-15 fg 3-7 from 3, 4-4 at the line, 4 boards (3 of them offensive) finishing with a team leading 25 points in a team leading 27 minutes of play. Not sure of any records but has to be one of the best freshmen debuts at the RAC in Rutgers history. And on a night where earlier we sadly bowed our heads to the memory of Phil Sellers, one starts to wonder about the new era for Rutgers basketball that has just begun and will rapidly evolve with the editions of Ace and fingers crossed Dylan Harper. Yet there is a still a bridge year to play this season. Where exactly Rutgers is at now and what is their ceiling is a hard task to answer right now.

Princeton is a good team. The loss was disappointing at least for me not because we lost but we looked a mess. I cannot say last night quelled any fears and answered my questions but its a step forward in what looks to be a challenging process for Coach Pikiell this season. A win is always good. A feel good win by 24 when you are not sweating it out is great First things first, Boston U was terribly overmatched physcially. This was not Princeton. It did not have to be. These string of non conference RAC games are here to build confidence and sort things out. The starting lineup of Cliff, Wolf, Williams, Fernandes, and Hyatt was an interesting combo. Bigger lineup with the offense running through Hyatt struggled mightily early. RU could not make shots and could not get out of their own way and 9 minutes into the game only had 13 minutes to show for it. Wolf played solid ball and Hyatt was certainly active albeit streaky. RU committed 7 turnovers, guard play was non existent and RU failed in any feeble attempt to establish Cliff. Not the start one would want. However it was going back to Pikeill's basics...defense that held sway for Rutgers until the 2nd half. RU would limit Boston to just 3 points over the final 9 minutes of the first half finishing on a 14-3 and RU headed into the locking room with breathing room at 30-22.

Start of the 2nd half was all about Hyatt. He is streaky. We all know his ups and downs but he delivered in a decisive stretch that basically ended any Boston hopes that this would be a game. Hyatt finished with 17 points on 6-11 fg, 3-7 from 3 and 4 boards. A big bounceback after a not so good performance at Princeton. We can all hope Hyatt gets more consistent. Boston U isnt top tier but its good to at least see Hyatt focus and step up and show some take charge leadership on a team that is desperately searching for an identity. That is the biggest problem I have seen in the first two games. Lack of indentity and just what purpose on offense. There was improvement for sure from the Princeton game. Yet guard play remains a massive weak spot thus far. The 3 smaller guards, Noah, Derek and J Mike went a combined 1-8 fg with just 5 points. They have been total non factors on the offensive end and its only 2 games but what the heck happened to Derek Simpson. It seems like he lost his entire confidence he had gained from the end of last season. His role is massively different with a different team and he has not settled into a flow. Noah came touted as being able to bring experience but has yet to show anything in the first two games. J Mike is just in his second game so not going to judge him too harshly. He shows signs of promise albeit that 3-8 free throw shooting has to get better. Derek did have 5 assists last night so there is a glimmer of hope but I am really worried about getting the ball to the right people..namely Cliff. Not one player has shown the ability to get Rutgers supposed elite center the ball. That has to change quickly

Lets talk about Cliff. I thought his Princeton effort was just okay and he simply did not make himself an impact player in that game nor did his teammates try to. Last night, Cliff was basically invisible. Cliff was getting banged around by the Boston U bigs and that is unacceptable. His teammates couldnt get him touches at all. Cliff needs to work big time on his positioning or its going to be an easy defend this year. Cliff would get banged up and did go to the lockerroom before half so in fairness he was fighting that too. When he came back in besides a nice basket, he seemed tentative and slow on defense showing the signs of being a bit hurt so perhaps should have just stayed on the bench. 21 minutes, 1-3 fg, 5 points, 5 boards, 3 turnovers....RU doesnt need Cliff points or blocks to beat Boston U but they will need him to beat Georgetown and other tougher non conference opponents. Pike needs to get Cliff to elevate his game and get some hunger in the paint or its going to be a tough season.

Beyond the postives of Gavin and Hyatt last night, the most noticable improvement is coming from Woofolk. Followed up that Princeton performance with another solid one showing some good moves and is looking extremely comfortable on the court and adapting to a faster pace of the game. Just 14 minutes likely banged up too, Wolf grabbed 8 boards and had 4 points and a steal. Whether putting him and Cliff on the court at the same time is a long term solution, I do not know but I do know that Wolf deserves as many minutes as Pike can find for him because his potential is just being tapped and on a team where others are sort of sputtering, Wolf has earned his minutes.

Oskar is playing his role. 19 minutes, 5 boards, 4 points and looking more comfortable out there. Definitely a pleasant surprise for me thus far. Austin Williams ditto as a role player...all you can ask for but with the other 3 guards struggling he might be asked for more going forward.
Chol sighting as he got signficant minutes getting his feet wet and did pretty well. Had that awesome dunk as well. 13 minutes, 5 points. Again every team needs role players and he looked comfortable out there with good pace.

Always nice to win. Hard to complain after a 69-45 win. Concern for me is still a disjointed offense and the slow starts. Gavin and Hyatt went 15-26 fg. The rest of the team was just 8-26. Gavin and Hyatt 6-14 from 3. The rest of the team was just 1-11. Gavin and Hyatt 6-6 free throws. The rest of the team 10-24. Not sustainable vs tougher teams coming up and Bryant/Georgetown will certainly be tougher tests. Its just game two and Gavin emerged so take that into consideration. Its important in game 3 to get a Derek or Noah untracked. I do not envy Coach Pike's challenge this year. Not going to be like any other he has faced at RU but the one thing we know he will scrap and claw to solve it and this team eventually will scrap and claw to keep getting better.

One note on the crowd...excellent showing...I see they listed as sellout..wtf...no....but still a great showing for first night with so many games coming. But boo to Rutgers for charging $30 for parking and also didnt like how they are trying to force the fans all out one way and shutting the doors to allow people to walk to the main concourse in front...but why

Biggest trend for me through these two games is the complete lack of production from Fernandes and Simpson. We all know college hoops is a guard-driven game, and if our two top lead guards are going to struggle to score, we are in deep trouble regardless of how good GG is.

I know it’s early, so I’m trying not to panic from a small sample size, but what I’ve seen from the guards in the first 80 minutes of the season is concerning to say the least.

Tbh, being at the game I actually thought Derek played well. I feel he grew as a playmaker. We currently have a bit of a spacing issue on offense, partially due to personnel and partly due to our scheme and he’s a guy that desperately needs space to thrive. But defensively he was way better IMO and he’s someone like Gavin that we are going to need to get some real production from. Like Williams hitting his threes so far and his defense has been great. Gavin is a shooter we haven’t seen before as he’s someone that needs minimal space due to his quick motion, shot prep and high release

Excellent write up BAC with hitting the positives and the negatives and leading with Gavin.
Now Gavin looked great but he should have against Boston U. They did not one impactful player at guard, forward or center. So I loved what Gavin did and showed his multi dimensional talent , you do have to take it with a grain of salt because they might be the worst team we play all year( I know we play Stonehill) .

Nice that Aundre got untracked and hit some shots and actually some layups but again the competition had a lot to do with it.

Wolf is coming along great and really will be impactful for us this year and when Cliff sits , the drop off will not be like prior years. Love his anticipation on defense and denying the ball, getting a steal like the Princeton game , dribbling down for the almost dunk. His athleticism on display.
The positives end there. We have had little to no guard play , neither as ball handlers, penetrators , shooters, passers, running any pick and roll with Cliff. Their defense was better but again the dreadful competition. We have 4 guards but Derek and Noah have to get untracked in every way a guard must for a team to have success. The sloppiness of the entire team is because the guards have led the way being sloppy. Hopeful because I thought Jamichael would show out and he is struggling as well. Need our guards , older ones , Noah and Williams and the younger ones , Derek and Jamichael , to step the damn up if we want success this year.

Choi got some time and hustled. But he has to make wide open threes at a greater clip. That goes for the whole team Oscar , Derek , and the other guards. You are wide open at this level you better be hitting at a decent 30-40 %. No 1-10 or 2-12 shooting with no one on you.

Happy for the win and for Gavin’s arrival but sloppiness and shooting 16-30 from the line was just hideous. Hopeful they will get better everyday.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Does Wolf’s playing with Cliff add too much traffic down low, making entry passing tougher? Wolf has not shown to be a perimeter threat. That’s not his game.

Nice win last night, but today can become a great day for Rutgers basketball as Ace Bailey is scheduled to sign his NLI today.

I saw a ton of negatives, but the positive of seeing what Gavin can do (against hor$e$hit competition) might equal it out. If his defense can keep on the court we FINALLY have a piece where all he needs is one screen off the ball to get a shot off. We have not had that in FOREVER. Cam was a very good catch and shoot, but he had to rely on others. Gavin needs Cliff setting a pick and any point guard tossing him the ball.

JaMicheal Davis is as elite of a guard as RU has seen in a while. .....why do I say that?? Because he has 5 to 6 different ways he can impact the game on offense AND defense.

Game 1, he shoots 2-10, which I honestly don't care about....he attacked when RU had players lost or passive vs Princeton.....sure he went 1 on 3 into traffic for a turnover....buy had 7 rebounds and 3 assists.

Last night, he generated EIGHT free throws.. you have to have stones to be willing to drive into traffic as a true freshman and look to score. Would I have liked to seen him shoot 6 of 8 from the FT line.....?? Of course.....BUT pet peeve of negative passive play with the guards last year, was not getting to the line. Why is getting to the FT more important to a teams success, instead of blindly looking at 3 point percentages??

A) you draw fouls on your opponent, which speeds up how fast you eventually get into the 1 and 1 FT (7 fouls) and double bonus (10 fouls)

B) With every settled jump shot last year, because of a lack or unwillingness to draw contact, you cannot set your press.....you cannot get rest on defense for 60 to 75 seconds while the FT shooting is happening......you cannot as a staff, substitute for defense.

Davis then finds another 2 steals and 3 rebounds.

If you can find 4 possessions a game for this staff, where you them an opportunity to matchup on defense, you increase the chances of more stops on defense, getting an extra rebounding force on the floor OR adding a Simpson to sub in for a Fernandes or Woolfolk for Hyatt, while Davis is at the line.

Maybe Davis draws a foul and there's no FTs....you can still steal a possession, where if the shot clock resets to add a Gavin Griffiths for an offensive possession.

There is a significant impact to having guards being able to drive and potentially score, which far outweighs strictly shooting percentages from 3.

If and when Davis starts to improve the FT shooting and perimeter shooting, look out.

There's a reason why BU banked in a 3 and made another lucky 3 and only had 22 1st half points and a total of 45.....it's not because they're that terrible, but it drives coaches crazy when they think a home team is getting a lot of calls.....it triggered the BU coach into a technical foul, because the more aggressive, attacking guards, dictate the tempo on both ends of the court. Add in 2 FTs for Gavin shooting those technical fouls, and it's free points.

How many times have we wondered why Pike doesn't get Tee'd up, while Iowa or Michigan or Michigan State was carving us up 1 on 1....it was because their offensive talent (like Gavin, Derek and JMike) can create offense off the bounce and draw fouls.

Now RU gets to that level of play where we get to the line more.....and you become less reliant on hitting every wide open 3.....you can shoot 16-30 from the line and still win by 20 to 25 points. Welcome to the next phase of winning folks.

I don't know what took Jones so long to get angry. Possession before we went nuts they fouled out his big for going after a 50/50 loose ball.

I want a PG getting bounce passes to Cliff for dunks.
I want a PG finding Gavin off screens
I want a PG making open 3s
I want a PG not turning it over
I want a PG making FTs
I want a PG playing defense and making the opposing PG work on offense

Excellent review BAC and others including Degaz and Greene.
Gavin showed he is the real deal. Best pure shooter since Douby.
I’m trying to think of all the great RU outside shooters: Abdel, Hefele, Remley, Tillman, Dadika, Coleman, Billet, Rob, Rosario, Mack, Battle? Am I missing anybody?
BTW The two best opposition shooters I’ve seen at the RAC were Alan Houston and D Angelo Russell. Louie Orr was pretty good. Didn’t see the Larry Bird game.
17 turnovers is a major problem. We have to fix the guard play quickly or it might turn into a down year.
16/30 from the line is also a major problem.
Woolfolk is so improved. Love to see him set picks for Gavin and Cliff.
Oskar has blossomed and seems to have moved up the depth chart.
I mocked the Trenton scoreboard but what the heck happened to the RU scoreboard yesterday!
Tribute to Phil was awesome.
The RAC, which I love, is like Rutgers Stadium. It’s ridiculous that they don’t have more entrances and even more importantly, exits. There is no reason to not open every available exit post game. A disaster they have dodged all these years.
We didn’t play that well and still won in convincing fashion. No panic and a great second half.
Guard play must improve!

Reactions: MiloTalon13
one thing that is crystal clear....that things are not crystal clear.

Roles have yet to be defined. Some may think they know the optimal rotations, but I don't think anyone really knows. We don't even know if Mag's health will ever allow him to be an impactful player this year.

My hope is over the next few weeks it falls in to place, but I am not holding my breath.

JaMicheal Davis is as elite of a guard as RU has seen in a while. .....why do I say that?? Because he has 5 to 6 different ways he can impact the game on offense AND defense.

Game 1, he shoots 2-10, which I honestly don't care about....he attacked when RU had players lost or passive vs Princeton.....sure he went 1 on 3 into traffic for a turnover....buy had 7 rebounds and 3 assists.

Last night, he generated EIGHT free throws.. you have to have stones to be willing to drive into traffic as a true freshman and look to score. Would I have liked to seen him shoot 6 of 8 from the FT line.....?? Of course.....BUT pet peeve of negative passive play with the guards last year, was not getting to the line. Why is getting to the FT more important to a teams success, instead of blindly looking at 3 point percentages??

A) you draw fouls on your opponent, which speeds up how fast you eventually get into the 1 and 1 FT (7 fouls) and double bonus (10 fouls)

B) With every settled jump shot last year, because of a lack or unwillingness to draw contact, you cannot set your press.....you cannot get rest on defense for 60 to 75 seconds while the FT shooting is happening......you cannot as a staff, substitute for defense.

Davis then finds another 2 steals and 3 rebounds.

If you can find 4 possessions a game for this staff, where you them an opportunity to matchup on defense, you increase the chances of more stops on defense, getting an extra rebounding force on the floor OR adding a Simpson to sub in for a Fernandes or Woolfolk for Hyatt, while Davis is at the line.

Maybe Davis draws a foul and there's no FTs....you can still steal a possession, where if the shot clock resets to add a Gavin Griffiths for an offensive possession.

There is a significant impact to having guards being able to drive and potentially score, which far outweighs strictly shooting percentages from 3.

If and when Davis starts to improve the FT shooting and perimeter shooting, look out.

There's a reason why BU banked in a 3 and made another lucky 3 and only had 22 1st half points and a total of 45.....it's not because they're that terrible, but it drives coaches crazy when they think a home team is getting a lot of calls.....it triggered the BU coach into a technical foul, because the more aggressive, attacking guards, dictate the tempo on both ends of the court. Add in 2 FTs for Gavin shooting those technical fouls, and it's free points.

How many times have we wondered why Pike doesn't get Tee'd up, while Iowa or Michigan or Michigan State was carving us up 1 on 1....it was because their offensive talent (like Gavin, Derek and JMike) can create offense off the bounce and draw fouls.

Now RU gets to that level of play where we get to the line more.....and you become less reliant on hitting every wide open 3.....you can shoot 16-30 from the line and still win by 20 to 25 points. Welcome to the next phase of winning folks.
I don’t know if you can say JMike is “elite” just because he’s aggressive, plays defense, and draws fouls. At some point, he will need to score at a more efficient rate — whether it’s on dribble drives, floaters, or threes — and he needs to hit at least 70% of his FTs.

Until then, he’s just a solid freshman with upside, but one who doesn’t space the floor. (But is a major upgrade over Jalen Miller).

one thing that is crystal clear....that things are not crystal clear.

Roles have yet to be defined. Some may think they know the optimal rotations, but I don't think anyone really knows. We don't even know if Mag's health will ever allow him to be an impactful player this year.

My hope is over the next few weeks it falls in to place, but I am not holding my breath.
Along those lines, Pike played 10 guys at least 13 minutes each (interestingly BU play 11 guys 10 or more minutes), but what’s crazy is we have 3 more roster guys that could get into the rotation and two of them could be starters (if JW gets cleared to play this year). We’re legit 13 deep.

Wolf sat a lot in second half. He took a foul where guy pushed him from behind in the air hope didn't tweak the back.
More minutes for jMike, less minutes for Fernandes!

Along those lines, Pike played 10 guys at least 13 minutes each (interestingly BU play 11 guys 10 or more minutes), but what’s crazy is we have 3 more roster guys that could get into the rotation and two of them could be starters (if JW gets cleared to play this year). We’re legit 13 deep.
We are a legit 13 deep on a game against a team ranked 350. Even playing Wednesday against major bottom feeder Georgetown the math changes. Unless we play zone Chol isnt seeing the court

We are a legit 13 deep on a game against a team ranked 350. Even playing Wednesday against major bottom feeder Georgetown the math changes. Unless we play zone Chol isnt seeing the court
So, we’re only 12 deep? Darn.

I did not see this game but you watch Fernandes play and can tell he's not in playing shape yet. I don't think we get the real Fernandes until later on in the season. Hopefully next game he's more game ready, but need him in the big ten schedule. He didn't play last year, just the first 13-or 14 games then he was injured.

I do think the coaches are testing lineup's right now. Chol didn't play at Princeton at all so maybe but given the lack of depth in the front court, I think you have to play chol. I still didn't get to see this guy on the court lol I have high hopes..

Depth is subjective. Maybe Oskar has really improved, but he has never been counted on as a player in our rotation. Now he is 1 of the 11 and quite frankly not 11.
It’s the nature of “depth” that some of your guys aren’t as good as others, but they can still be viable options in game situations. You can make a case that Chol may not be ready, but Oskar is clearly an option for us now.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
It’s the nature of “depth” that some of your guys aren’t as good as others, but they can still be viable options in game situations. You can make a case that Chol may not be ready, but Oskar is clearly an option for us now.
Oskar has length, has confidence, know where he needs to be, and can knock down shots. Pike trusts him defensively over others in the rotation as evidenced by the Princeton game.

Reactions: BillyC80
After 2 games, that was my biggest concern to start the season that our guards were going to struggle with chemistry, running the offense/defense, and experience. That is where losing Paul's 4 years of experience hurts the most than what Paul or Cam gave you as a players. They seem to be the same players they were here that they are at Washington or at UConn, content taking a backseat to everyone else. Neither are glue guys either because we wouldn't have finished the season the way we did if they were.

Most of our game experience is in the front court and unfortunately our front court can't dribble the ball up or give themselves the ball either, so they have to rely on who we have currently. We have limited experienced front court ball handlers, outside of Hyatt or Mag, when healthy. I thought that was one of the main critiques from NBA scouts for Cliff to develop more ball handling skills?

The facts are Derek, at one year, is our most experienced guard in Pike's system. Noah is coming off an injury last game played 10 months ago, Jan 2023, and AWill off injury last college game played 20 months ago, March 2022. JMike brings a huge skill set to the table at his size, 6'2 165, just needs college experience and game reps. It's just a matter of fast tracking all of this backcourt talent together the next 2 months, 2 young guards and two experienced guards knocking the rust off their game. We have to tread water and not taking on bad losses in the non conference, because by January the talent will come together and will be ready to win @ Ohio St

Last edited:
Reactions: RUskoolie
I was telling you all that Gavin was going to make you say, "Cam, who?"
an all around offensive juggernaut
& with Mag back, and a pressing defense, court will open up even more for him
Cliff too...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT