ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Assistant Coach tidbit...

Your post shows why with over 23,500 posts you only have 1700+ likes. You must really post a lot of non likeable messages

Is this kinda like Facebook, where Mulennials vie to see who can accumulate the most Facebook friends? Come on, Todd. It is easy to troll for "likes" on these boards. How many people would "like" your post if you waxed cheerful about the prospects of KD signing with the Knicks?
TL

Is this kinda like Facebook, where Mulennials vie to see who can accumulate the most Facebook friends? Come on, Todd. It is easy to troll for "likes" on these boards. How many people would "like" your post if you waxed cheerful about the prospects of KD signing with the Knicks?
TL
Go back and read his post post. All he is doing is bashing Gruninger and basically blaming him for where we are now. That is what prompted my reply. I don't really respond or post looking for likes I say what I fee and let he chips fall. I get likes and get ripped some times. No problems with either sceniero as long as the "rips are respectful.

He is basically right. Grunninger RU screwed us.

In the long run it worked out better for Rutgers. In about 5 years Rutgers will be making about $55 million from the Big 10.. Gruninger was a visionary who saw this way back in 1979......lol

A Big East invite in 1979 probably would have led to an ACC spot along with Syracuse and Pitt. The basketball results in the last 30 years would have been much much better.

In the long run it worked out better for Rutgers. In about 5 years Rutgers will be making about $55 million from the Big 10.. Gruninger was a visionary who saw this way back in 1979......lol

A Big East invite in 1979 probably would have led to an ACC spot along with Syracuse and Pitt. The basketball results in the last 30 years would have been much much better.
I thought Rutgers begins getting a full B1G share in 201-2021

I thought Rutgers begins getting a full B1G share in 201-2021

Technically Yes, but they are taking advances against future earnings. So, by 2025 they are projected to be at $55 million. Still less than other B1G schools but an amazing amount of money.

So, Rutgers will go from $8.5 in 2015 to $55 million in those 10 years. Then, the projected amount in 2029 is $69 million.

Last edited:
When you add revenue from ticket sales, IMG sponsorships and naming rights we should be at $90-$100 million per year.

IMHO we would have bolted the ACC just like MD. We would have fared better over the last 30-some years in the mean time.

And yet the idiot co-worker of mind said RU going to the B1G was a terrible move.
The co-worker probably was referring to it as a terrible move, from a competitive athletics angle. There is no guarantee that our sports doormat existence will change with lots of money. We are always behind the curve in the high profile sports.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
The co-worker probably was referring to it as a terrible move, from a competitive athletics angle. There is no guarantee that our sports doormat existence will change with lots of money. We are always behind the curve in the high profile sports.

Better to be non competitive with 69 mill coming in than non competitive with 4 mill coming in.

Better to be non competitive with 69 mill coming in than non competitive with 4 mill coming in.

This is always a strange argument to me because as a fan, what does it matter? Whether the dept makes 4 mill or 60 mill isn’t going to really affect you. The winning and losing affects though...

I hope we have a new assistant coach by day 50. We are at day 47 right now.

Assistant spot is important for July live period, my guess is with school breaking through Memorial day weekend, we're probably not seeing anything until 1st week to mid June. The longer this goes, the more likely Pike hired Steve Hayn as an internal promotion to Jay Young's spot as 3rd assistant.

Iowa, Maryland, Michigan and RU are missing complete staffs or a single assistant right now. I don't know what other programs around the other major conferences have for openings.

Reactions: Richie O
Assistant spot is important for July live period, my guess is with school breaking through Memorial day weekend, we're probably not seeing anything until 1st week to mid June. The longer this goes, the more likely Pike hired Steve Hayn as an internal promotion to Jay Young's spot as 3rd assistant.

Iowa, Maryland, Michigan and RU are missing complete staffs or a single assistant right now. I don't know what other programs around the other major conferences have for openings.
Boo if this is the case. Why not Princeton guy?

Were you the guy who claimed to know that there were well over 100 coaches who expressed interest in this job?

Last edited:
Hayn doesn't really move the needle, especially if there were "over 100 candidates." He's been a D1 assistant once and that was 20 years ago at Central Connecticut. And the lower-level teams he's been a head coach of haven't been powers or anything special. I'd like to think we could get somebody more... exciting or accomplished.

I dunno, he strikes me as the type of hire Chris Ash would make. A good guy who the HC is tight with... but maybe not the best option.

Were you the guy who claimed to know that there were well over 100 coaches who expressed interest in this job?

Yes, but you would have to ask Coach Pike on whether he hires outside or goes with Hayn, someone he's known since the early 90s. Macconnell would be one of the choices i would have made, but i am not the Head Coach. I do know he really wants the gig and the money is mich more than what he earns at Princeton.

As far as the one other candidate I've heard of, he's also interested. There was a HC of a HS or JUCO that was interested in both St Johns and RUs openings as an assistant but he landed elsewhere.

If the Hayn promotion is the way things go down, do we classify it as “addition by subtraction”?

Hayn doesn't really move the needle, especially if there were "over 100 candidates." He's been a D1 assistant once and that was 20 years ago at Central Connecticut. And the lower-level teams he's been a head coach of haven't been powers or anything special. I'd like to think we could get somebody more... exciting or accomplished.

Pike is a loyal guy and I don't have any doubt that's a factor here supporting Hayn as the potential choice. He's been here since Pike has arrived but Shoes has been here since the Jordan staff.

I do agree 100%, that the hire is not exciting or splashy if he promotes Hayn from within and considering the handful of names I've heard about. At the same time, if we were looking for a recruiting ace to replace one, that definitely was not Jay Young's strength as an assistant. If the 2020 class underwhelms, it would be a sticking point.

The reality is that any assistant gets a 1 year grace period to establish themselves with their new location and 2021 recruiting would be the fair time to evaluate the hire. The homerun situation would be an assistant linked to 2021 and 2022 kids and we get 1 to 2 Top 175 kids in 2020.

It would just be a... blah hire.

Purdue hired a guy who was a former Purdue assistant and then coached in the NBA under Brad Stevens.

The leading candidate at Maryland is also an alum and coached under Rick Pitino (make jokes but he was never cited in any court docs and it means he coached/recruited a ton of pros).

Nebraska hired the recruiting whiz from St. John's.

Virginia Tech hired an assistant from Cincinnati who was formerly a high school/AAU coach in a talent-rich area.

If the Hayn promotion is the way things go down, do we classify it as “addition by subtraction”?

I definitely don't think it's that, we are losing a good assistant who has known Pike for years. The only way to confirm this is based on what typically happens with our new peers in the B1G. I don't see outright panic on the Iowa or Maryland boards on their last assistant coach spot.

All things considered it's been a very smooth start to the offseason. We hit checkpoints on OOC schedules with a neutral site game against a name opponent in South Carolina we are hosting SHU, who should be ranked most of this coming season and added Yeboah, who immediately factors into our Top 8 to 9 rotation.

I've heard positive reviews about a lot of things with the practice facility being finished up soon.

2020 recruiting is somewhat different from 2019, just seems like more kids are easing into the process. For all I know, maybe Hayn has a sharp eye for talent that is perhaps not yet blown up and we can get another McConnell like steal or 2 in 2020 and 2021 classes.

I definitely don't think it's that, we are losing a good assistant who has known Pike for years. The only way to confirm this is based on what typically happens with our new peers in the B1G. I don't see outright panic on the Iowa or Maryland boards on their last assistant coach spot.

All things considered it's been a very smooth start to the offseason. We hit checkpoints on OOC schedules with a neutral site game against a name opponent in South Carolina we are hosting SHU, who should be ranked most of this coming season and added Yeboah, who immediately factors into our Top 8 to 9 rotation.

I've heard positive reviews about a lot of things with the practice facility being finished up soon.

2020 recruiting is somewhat different from 2019, just seems like more kids are easing into the process. For all I know, maybe Hayn has a sharp eye for talent that is perhaps not yet blown up and we can get another McConnell like steal or 2 in 2020 and 2021 classes.

McCaffrey said he plans to make his hire this week.

This is always a strange argument to me because as a fan, what does it matter? Whether the dept makes 4 mill or 60 mill isn’t going to really affect you. The winning and losing affects though...

It doesn't. But, along with a 4 million payout comes the pleasure of watching games against the likes of Tulane and Tulsa on ESPN 3

What makes anyone believe that we would be competitive in the AAC?

Nothing. That's why I said it's better to be getting $69 million and not being competitive than making $4 million and not being competitive.

Reactions: LC-88
Agree, some might think the money is more important than winning, but I don't feel the money RU will get from the B1G and RUMMB continues its losing ways could replace the sense of pride I would be getting if ( even as a AAC program) Rutgers makes it to the final four again.

As far as competitiveness goes ( my opinion) no matter how much money RU gets from the B1G compared to what it would have received from the AAC, if that money doesn't make it's sports teams more competitive , I'd just feel that money isn't being used right and its importance would be diminished .

Last edited:
Agree, some might think the money is more important than winning, but I don't feel the money RU will get from the B1G and RUMMB continues its losing ways could replace the sense of pride I would be getting if ( even as a AAC program) Rutgers makes it to the final four again.

As far as competitiveness goes ( my opinion) no matter how much money RU gets from the B1G compared to what it would have received from the AAC, if that money doesn't make it's sports teams more competitive , I'd just feel that money isn't being used right and its importance would be diminished .
Winning matters to enhance perception,recruiting,ticket sales and donor support.B1G money helps paying the bills but doesn't ensure successful sports teams.Hiring coaching staffs and recruiting is what matters .

Reactions: RU_DIO
We also needs to replace Director of Basketball Operations Bryan Dougher who left to be an assistant at Fairfield.

I would think Ben Asher is probably the leading candidate for that.

We also needs to replace Director of Basketball Operations Bryan Dougher who left to be an assistant at Fairfield.

I would think Ben Asher is probably the leading candidate for that.

Actually I think that spot is all sewn up and it should be probably announced together when the assistant coach spot is announced.

Actually I think that spot is all sewn up and it should be probably announced together when the assistant coach spot is announced.

Former Rutgers player is what I saw. I think it may be Mike Williams...just a hunch, no inside info.

I dunno, he strikes me as the type of hire Chris Ash would make. A good guy who the HC is tight with... but maybe not the best option.

Lol at "over 100 candidates" for a Rutgers BB assistant coach job. What a farce

Last edited:
Lol at "over 100 candidates".

For a Rutgers BB assistant coach job.?

This is directly from Pike, so ask him when you see him or feel free to email him...how many are legitimate candidates is up for debate, maybe he can tell you who applied, although their current employer would not be thrilled to know about it.

Let's say this, Pike is a salesman and you have to be in this day and age and especially when you're rebuilding a program. Unfortunately, some fans consistently lean to the negative side of things.

Iowa made their hire. Kind of a boring choice, their version of Hayn but their guy actually has D1 experience.

I think it’s smart of Pike to get A lot of applicants who are interested in the Rutgers job. For those “looking” and didn’t really notice the terrific job Hobbs and Pike have done here with the program and facilities, I think it’s priceless and perhaps brilliant.

The move can never be considered a bad move. Even if we only attain mediocrity in sports (which I do not think will be our peak) the Academic prestige and Research acknowledgements Rutgers will continue to reap are light years past what we could have achieved on our own or in any other conference period.

I think it’s smart of Pike to get A lot of applicants who are interested in the Rutgers job. For those “looking” and didn’t really notice the terrific job Hobbs and Pike have done here with the program and facilities, I think it’s priceless and perhaps brilliant.

I think interviewing many gives him a base pool for future hirings (let's face it as the program blows up assistants will get shots as HC somewhere.). He will have a pool of guys he would consider but more so will have eliminated a bunch of guys. This will help if there is ever a time where hiring quickly is essential

Reactions: NJDOVES
I think interviewing many gives him a base pool for future hirings (let's face it as the program blows up assistants will get shots as HC somewhere.). He will have a pool of guys he would consider but more so will have eliminated a bunch of guys. This will help if there is ever a time where hiring quickly is essential

Agreed, and I think he will make an excellent hire. Rutgers (and Pike) got a ton of accolades during the B1G Tourney and perhaps that’s why there is so much interest by a lot of candidates.

ADVERTISEMENT