ADVERTISEMENT

Interview questions

JMORC2003

All Conference
Dec 22, 2008
Have a few job interviews coming up in the next month and want to start prepping. It's been a while, What kind of questions can I expect? These would be corporate jobs, media industry.

Have you ever been in a cockpit before?
Have you ever seen a grown man naked?
Did you ever hang around a gymnasium?
Do you like movies about gladiators?

Originally posted by Veiox:
Have you ever been in a cockpit before?
Have you ever seen a grown man naked?
Did you ever hang around a gymnasium?
Do you like movies about gladiators?
Damn. Totally beat me to it.

Certainly you will get questions specific to the job you are interviewing for, and specific to issues that you may face (e.g., how do you manage _____ problem).

Standard type questions you might get include:

Tell me about yourselfWhat are your strengths/weaknessesDescribe a typical dayWhat did you like most/least about your last jobDescribe a problem you encountered in your last job, and how you addressed it

When I interview candidates, I only ask the first question if I haven't reviewed the candidate's resume in advance.

I never ask the second question, because I've received too many meaningless answers (e.g., my weakness is I am a perfectionist). Instead, I'll ask questions like "Are you more comfortable working with data or ideas" or "Do you consider yourself detail-oriented or big-picture oriented'. The candidate doesn't know what the right answer is, so I gain more insight by how they answer it.

I only ask the third question when I want to get into a conversation to see if there is a cultural fit.

The last two questions I ask to see how the candidate handles adversity.

Be aware that the right answer for one interviewer might be the wrong answer for another. For example I recently asked a candidate what he does if there is not enough time to handle all the tasks he has. One of my colleagues thought the candidate's response of working long hours to get the work done was a good answer and showed dedication. I thought it was a bad answer because it showed a brute force approach which is not sustainable over the long term.

I pretty much agree with Upstream, but will add this. Try to gauge the interviewer's style. I interview a lot, and I'm the type to try to create a very relaxed environment, find something of mutual personal interest to talk about at the beginning, etc. I find it lowers the candidate's inhibitions and they will be (on average) more honest and "real" for the rest of the interview and thereby much more likely to act as they would on a typical day on the job. Now, other folks I work with have completely different styles and will stick to a more formal structure.

You'll have to know your industry for sure, but that's probably the easy part. Just be aware of the interviewer's style, prepare in advance, and know what points you want to get across.

What is your name?
What is your quest?
What is your favorite color?
What is the capital of Assyria?
What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

If you are going to be interviewed, you must Read a book called "Sweaty palms, the art of being interviewed." It may be updated by now. It is the best book I ever read on how to be prepared for interviews. It is not long and probably only takes a few hours to read, but you will learn a lot and give you some great techniques on how to answer some questions. This does not mean you lie, but by using learned techniques, you help the interviewer see you are the one for the job.

For example, and this is just a brief made up summary, but you will get the point. You are going to interview for a job that you have researched well and you know there are some keywords for a person who might be better suited for this job. Someone who is punctual, works well with others, has extensive industry contacts, and knows how to attack a problem and move forward quickly and decisively with a solution.

So throughout the interview while you are talking, you bring up, at various points that you are punctual, work well with others, are decisive, etc., etc. Toward the end of the interview, you ask the interviewer "what type of person do you think would do well in the job?" Hopefully, if you have done your homework well, the interviewer should be thinking and saying that a person who has many of the qualities that you already mentioned you have would be a good fit. So you leave the interview smiling, confident and hopefully with the interviewer thinking you are the right person for the job.

I have used this technique many times early in my career, and on a couple of occasions, the interviewer actually answered the question saying "a person just like you!"

Read the book, you can't go wrong.

Tell me something about yourself that I wouldn't know by looking at your résumé--this one can go a couple different ways in that it can be something work related that you just weren't able to put on your résumé because of space constraints or something that is less work related and more personal, like a hobby.

When I interview a candidate (IT/software field), I typically stick to the technical parts of the candidate's resume: technologies they've worked with, projects they've worked on, etc. I usually leave the "soft" questions to the group's lead. So knowing that, my advice would be to make sure that if you put something on your resume you are able to talk about it. If you've padded your resume and can't talk about things you've put on it (and I catch it), that's usually an auto-disqualification.

Also remember that an interview is not just for the employer to interview you but for you to be interviewing the employer as well. Have some questions prepared to ask. Some good standbys are: What is the corporate culture like? How do you like working here? How is your performance measured?

Why are manhole covers round?
How many gas stations are there in the US.

Whenever I interview I always ask at the end of the interview, "Is there anything that would prevent you from extending me an offer?" It gives you an opportunity to address any concerns they may have. If the say no, then i say, "Great! Who will I be interviewing with next?"

Do research on the company first. If you get an interview schedule in advance and know who is interviewing you, see if you can get information on your interviewers--read their LinkedIn profiles. I always like when a candidate knows something about the company or they have done their homework and ask me a question like, "I see you went to Rutgers--do you go back their often or follow their sports teams?" If we have a candidate come in for an interview, he/she most like has the technical competence for the job. We like to see how the candidate fits into our office as a person. I also like to ask a person about their interests outside of work.

Here are two that I was asked on one particular interview....

Q: How many golf balls can you fit inside of an airplane?

A: I first asked two questions... What kind of plane are we talking about and what type of golf ball (British or American)?
I told the guy those two things would impact the answer based on his selections. He made choices and I made a guess.

The second question I had a little fun with...

Q: How manhole covers are there in NYC?

A: 7,863 (I responded immediately and confidently) the guy was amazed how quickly I responded and I explained to him that my uncle works for NYC DOT and explained that we were just talking about this over the last holiday. Of course this was complete BS but I knew the guy didn't really know the answer anyway!

You may get a similar type question in that hey are test how you think, so be ready for one of these!

Originally posted by Knight Shift:
Do research on the company first. If you get an interview schedule in advance and know who is interviewing you, see if you can get information on your interviewers--read their LinkedIn profiles. I always like when a candidate knows something about the company or they have done their homework and ask me a question like, "I see you went to Rutgers--do you go back their often or follow their sports teams?" If we have a candidate come in for an interview, he/she most like has the technical competence for the job. We like to see how the candidate fits into our office as a person. I also like to ask a person about their interests outside of work.
I'll ask questions specific to the college on their resume:

Penn State grad? What do you think about Paterno now?

So you attended classes at UNC.... you did attend classes, didn't you?

I see you went to Villanova; do you fee entitled?

You went to Seton Hall? Should I talk slower?

Syracuse? Ha, ha, ha, ha. Why are you wasting my time?

Watch this short clip and nail any job interview.

Seriously though when I am interviewing a candidate, I always ask why they are interested in this particular job. when I ask this question, there is no right or wrong answer, but the way the candidate answers the question tells me a lot about what I can expect. I also think asking a list of questions is dumb for an interviewer. If I am going to consider bringing you in, I want to try to have a conversation with you to see if we can verbally communicate well together and if you have the polish to represent me to the outside.

the most important questions I ask is "what do you know about us?" And "do you have any questions for me?" I kinda get turned off when the candidate didn't take a half hour to learn a little about who we are and what we do. I am much more likely to hire someone who has me believing that he or she is not just looking for any job, but wants to work with me in particular. That person will be more willing to accept criticism and duties that might be outside the scope of their job description.

Keep in mind two words... How vs Why

Too often we all think how we did something or how we would do something and more important, how the company we are interviewing does things, is important.

Switch the word why for the word how...and with that simple switch in mindset, you will crush the interview...And better yet, it will make you better in everything you do.

I don't understand why links don't show up when I post them in the field...

Anyway, here is the clip that I tried to post:

The Interview

When I interview I am looking to disqualify people as much as I am looking to qualify them. I'm also trying to flesh out their personality - the questions don't mean much to me - I'm generally trying to get a feel for how they carry themselves because that's the most important thing. My advice is err on the side of conservative, however don't be too conservative because eventually I think you have something to hide. In other words don't get so comfortable in the interview that you start talking about your bachelor party jaunts. Also, body language is HUGE - maintain eye contact, keep open body language, be pleasant, and of course make sure your overall appearance is on point. Good luck!

Originally posted by rurichdog:
What is your name?
What is your quest?
What is your favorite color?
What is the capital of Assyria?
What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Posted from Rivals Mobile
do you mean an African or European swallow?

Since there are a few Millennials on this board and we have been joking about some of these case interview questions I will lend a helping hand - don't do what Marosey did!!! LOL. These questions are a great way to interview young adults with little to no experience to understand two things - what is their intellectual capacity and how are their interpersonal skills.

At the end of the day, for young adults, the resume and GPA tell the interviewer that you are educated. You have no real experience so we need to know if you have a brain. The case question puts you in an uncomfortable situation under stress to see how you react. Do you seek help? Do you make shit up? Do you work thru it? Not playing the game is an automatic disqualifier for any company that gives these types of questions.

The airplane and golfball question is quite simple. All you need to remember is how to measure the volume of a cylinder and the volume of a sphere. Ask the interviewer how long and wide the plane is and how big a golf ball is and the math is simple. The inside of a plane can be simulated by a cylinder and half of a sphere on the front and half on the back.

The number of manhole covers is quite simple also. Many ways to solve but making assumptions about the number of manholes on the longer streets and the number on the shorter avenues makes it quite simple multiplication knowing or asking how many streets and avenues there are in Manhattan.

The number of gas stations in the US is done by understanding how many gas stations in a small area like your home town. Knowing how many people live in that area and how many people live in the US.

The question as to why manhole covers are round is quite interesting. I once read an article where Microsoft (i think) employees came up with 84 legit reasons. Here are a few of the best. A circle is the only shape where the manhole cover can not fall back into the hole if it has a little lip on it. Once you lift the manhole cover out, it is easy to move in the old days if it is a circle. If a car tire or plow hits it, much less damage if it is round than if it has a point.

Originally posted by RU85inFla:
Since there are a few Millennials on this board and we have been joking about some of these case interview questions I will lend a helping hand - don't do what Marosey did!!! LOL. These questions are a great way to interview young adults with little to no experience to understand two things - what is their intellectual capacity and how are their interpersonal skills.
Haha.... I got the job and they guy liked my answers. I'm still at the place actually. He was doing exactly what was discussed in the thread. Testing the way I thought and how I handled the pressure of a few oddball questions. He wanted to see if I just said IDK or guessed without any critical thinking or background knowledge.

The first one, I was trying to think critically and discover as much information instead of a random guess.

The second question I really was unsure about how to tackle it in the 20 seconds I had to answer it. I actually told the guy years later that I was just BS him at that point and he thought it was hilarious. He said I was so confident in my response he didn't even question my answer and that confidence was part of the reason I was hired for the job. The real point I was making with these type of questions is to thinking critically and answer to the best of your ability. The right answer can be different depending on the interviewer.

This post was edited on 3/16 5:12 PM by Marosy

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT