ADVERTISEMENT

Is Rutgers ready for life without Corey Sanders? Because that day is coming | Politi

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
Corey Sanders had the ball in his hands, as usual, and was dribbling off the final few seconds of a Big Ten Tournament victory for Rutgers when he heard a familiar chant from the students.

"One more year!"

"One more year!"

"One more year!"

The next loss is probably his final game as a college player. Sanders knows it. Those chanting fans know it. Steve Pikiell knows it. So this is the big question for the Scarlet Knights no matter when another disappointing season ends: Are they ready for life after their star guard departs?

http://www.nj.com/rutgersbasketball...eve_pikiell_big_ten_tournament_column_po.html

Reactions: JoeRU
There are so many moving parts AND 2018-19 is only one season.

We don't know if it is Strickland or Sanders

I'd love to see our offensive efficiency with sanders on the floor and without.

My theory is he would me missed a lot on the defensive end, but a wash on the offensive end.

Reactions: kcg88
I'd love to see our offensive efficiency with sanders on the floor and without.

My theory is he would me missed a lot on the defensive end, but a wash on the offensive end.
Huh?

There’s not another player on this roster that can take over a game like Corey does. Period.

MJ is considered the GOAT simply because of his play in big time moments and situations, not because of his shooting efficiency.

Reactions: Rokodesh and RUShea
Huh?

There’s not another player on this roster that can take over a game like Corey does. Period.

MJ is considered the GOAT simply because of his play in big time moments and situations, not because of his shooting efficiency.

True....but he needs the ball in his hands to score AND he isn’t a threat to shoot from the outside.

Our offensive efficiency has been off the charts BAD over the past 3 years. At some point you have to admit maybe we could be better off with a point guard with a different skill set.

Last night was Corey that good? 15 straight opponents scored more than a point per possession against Minnesota. We broke the streak.

How much was the ball in his hands and how many shots, assists and points did he have?

How did we do offensively last night in the possessions he took a rest?

Corey was great taking care of the basketball and has been all year. His defense has been very good, last night so so.

Corey is our most talented player. He just may be a square peg in a round hole in college basketball where outside shooting is a must for a guard.

Wasn't he on for each of our b1g wins and the win against SHU? I don't recall the close losses to MSU and pursue. I know we lost a bunch of games where he was really off offensively.

Does that number go up or down next year without him? I wouldn't be surprised if we win 1-2 b1g games next year without him.

Maybe we can go from 4 to 7 b1g wins next year with Sanders.

Reactions: kwrightnj
True....but he needs the ball in his hands to score AND he isn’t a threat to shoot from the outside.

Our offensive efficiency has been off the charts BAD over the past 3 years. At some point you have to admit maybe we could be better off with a point guard with a different skill set.

Last night was Corey that good? 15 straight opponents scored more than a point per possession against Minnesota. We broke the streak.

How much was the ball in his hands and how many shots, assists and points did he have?

Corey was great taking care of the basketball and has been all year. His defense has been very good, last night so so.

Corey is our most talented player. He just may be a square peg in a round hole in college basketball where outside shooting is a must for a guard.

Tough call. On the one hand, it would be nice for him to get that degree. I’m sure, he will need it.

On the other hand, he probably isn’t going to get much better by staying and it’s another year that he’s not earning money overseas.

Still hope he stays but i don’t think he will. I just hope the drama ends right after our next loss....for everyone’s sake.

Rutgers basketball has been barely any fun lately, and yet you manage to suck that little fun out of it . Forget about your numbers and just watch Corey play tonight . It will probably be your last chance .

Reactions: AD888
I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. Steve Politi has exceedingly mediocre grasp of the obvious.

Last edited:
What is the "lifetime" difference between a HS diploma and a college degree in terms of earnings? Yes, he will make a nice piece of change if he plays in Europe, but for how long? Then what? If his decision is mostly based on providing for his child, think long term! The difference between one more year may be very little in the long run.

I completely understand your analytical argument and view point, but the reality is Corey doesn’t have much help.

Give the guy a shooter and you’ll see him utilize it- we don’t have one.

Also, look back at C’s freshman year. Some of his passes he was making to our bigs were jaw dropping. Problem was our bigs couldn’t handle his passes.

Corey is taking over games and adjusting his play style because he HAS to.

Numbers don’t always tell the story. When a QB throws an INT tipped off a WRs hands it goes against the QB in the books.

Huh?

MJ is the GOAT because of his play in big moments AND his shooting efficiency. Plus, his teams won.

I have truly enjoyed watching Corey this season. I wish him well whatever direction he chooses. He has been a terrific Scarlet Knight and his 2017-18 season may be the best I've seen from an RU player since Douby (not necessarily a long, illustrious list, but still...)

Kadeem Jack (Jr. year)
Jonathan Mitchell (Sr. year)
Hamady (Sr. year)
Coery Sanders (Fr. year???) ONLY IF WE LOOK AT OFFENSE

Exactly. Corey is 21-40 in our 2 wins in this tourney, and has only taken 3 threes (and made 1).

Clearly you can win when he shoots like that from inside the arc, makes his FTs, rebounds and defends the way he has.

Gotta take the full measure of the player.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT