ADVERTISEMENT

Is the "NBA basketball is boring" narrative finally dead?

NickRU714

Heisman Winner
Aug 18, 2009
Did Edwards finally bury it last night?

"All they do is shoot 3s."
"It's boring watching guys just keep making shots."
"Too much scoring."

Kinda hard to keep saying that while also calling the last two Purdue games instant classics and most exciting games of the tournament.

And I won't even mention how excited this board was for that "classic" Michigan-TT game Thursday night....

Side note - James Harden had a 50pt 10ast 11reb triple double last night.
His 3rd 50pt game in his last 6.

Locally, D'Angelo Russell had 20 pts in the 3rd quarter for Brooklyn over Boston.

Edwards overshadowed some great basketball last night.
Good for the kid.

Reactions: RU_Planning
Going to get killed here...

Watching people take bad 25-30 footers that kept going in isn't my cup of tea.

I still find the NBA unwatchable because they play with no enthusiasm and there are too many games, making it impossible to see maximum effort at all times

Enthusiasm in the regular season is the issue. Playoffs are much better. Too many games.

It was an instant classic because it was a back and forth affair with a buzzer beater to send it to OT. The NBA is boring because Harden goes for 50 every night while opponents are trying to tank.

Analysts have noticed teams as good as the projected 6 seeds in the NBA try to tank in the middle of the season because the league is so top heavy they know they don’t have a chance at the title.

"Too much scoring."

Kinda hard to keep saying that while also calling the last two Purdue games instant classics and most exciting games of the tournament.

And I won't even mention how excited this board was for that "classic" Michigan-TT game Thursday night....

Locally, D'Angelo Russell had 20 pts in the 3rd quarter for Brooklyn over Boston.

Good for the kid.
Nope

"Too much scoring."

Good for the kid.
I was thinking the same thing while watching. The 3 point shot is what gives the little guys a chance versus the big guys and now that we've reached the 3 point revolution, the big guys are getting in on the action.

10-18 ft jump shots are the worst shot in basketball, but that is what the "traditionalists" crave.

The intensity argument is weak. Folks want to compare UNC vs. Duke to Knicks vs Wizards. Why not compare the intensity of the worst NBA teams with the worst college teams?

You watch a regular season Thunder/76ers game or a Jazz/Rockets game and the intensity is the same as you'll find in a regular season college game of two tournament teams.

Reactions: ElmiraExpress
College kids playing NBA style is fun when it's working like last night. It stinks when they're shooting 25% from 3 instead of 50%.

The NBA is the best pro league there is , period. (IMHO)

all pro athletes play at a higher level than amateur, but the NBA is about 10 levels higher than college ball.

The argument that the players just go through the motions is nonsense. Watch the NBA playoffs and tell me that. They are such unbelievable athletes and so skilled. Every pro sport in the history of pro sports has regular season games where the players aren't tearing each other eyes out.

The NBA is the best pro league there is , period. (IMHO)

all pro athletes play at a higher level than amateur, but the NBA is about 10 levels higher than college ball.

The argument that the players just go through the motions is nonsense. Watch the NBA playoffs and tell me that. They are such unbelievable athletes and so skilled. Every pro sport in the history of pro sports has regular season games where the players aren't tearing each other eyes out.

The NBA is terrible because only 5 teams even have a shot to win every year. In every other major pro sport, if you make the playoffs, you can win it all if you get hot. How often do you see a 4-8 seed in basketball win a championship? I can’t even remember the last time.

The NBA is terrible because only 5 teams even have a shot to win every year. In every other major pro sport, if you make the playoffs, you can win it all if you get hot. How often do you see a 4-8 seed in basketball win a championship? I can’t even remember the last time.
You must loathe college football then...

Wouldn’t the best regular season teams doing the best in the post season mean that the regular season was meaningful and the ability to be the best from start to finish more impressive than sneaking into the playoffs as a wild card and getting hot at the right time?

Wouldn’t the best regular season teams doing the best in the post season mean that the regular season was meaningful and the ability to be the best from start to finish more impressive than sneaking into the playoffs as a wild card and getting hot at the right time?

I think the NBA is hoops at it's highest level personally.

Reactions: PatrickRU92
I wish I had a nickel for every time I said “dagger” during the last 2 Purdue games (for both Purdue and their opponents). Very exciting basketball to the last second.

Reactions: RURM85

Postseasons should be shrunk.

College football may be too extreme but at least they have a code: Only elite teams that should compete for a championship.

College basketball is the definition of “everyone gets a trophy” between conference tournaments and the NCAA tourney.
People complain about barely .500 teams making the post season.

I would think if there were more teams in the playoffs in college football there would be some more surprises there too. They only put in 4/130ish teams so really it’s only the best of the best. Really most of college football games are meaningless too though.

The reason I watch sports is normally because I don’t know what will happen, and the hope that my team will win a championship. I don’t find it entertaining to watch regular season basketball games of teams trying to have a chance to lose to Lebron’s team who will lose to Golden State. Obviously, Lebron being in the west now to focus on his movie career means now a Milwaukee, Philly, or Toronto will have the chance to lose to Golden State in 4 or 5.

If you told me with confidence any other sport’s champion, you would likely be wrong.

"Too much scoring."

Good for the kid.
The "NBA is.Boring" narrative will be kept alive by people who don't watch or understand NBA basketball.

I'd rather burn my money than go to an NBA game. At least that way I won't waste my evening.

Reactions: knight82
There's no way you can be a college football fan and say this with a straight face.

Reactions: RU_Planning
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT