ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Jacob to play

Glad to have him back..but one game for a DUI? I guess we are beginning to act like the big boys.

this is always a tough call....it would have been easy to suspend him another game since we SHOULD win tonight, with or without him....and then it looks better and he comes back for the tougher games

we don't know the circumstances, if he was way drunk, or just a bit over the limit and made that kind of mistake.....

anyway, the motor vehicle punishment is lasting, and the real punishment here, that does not go away for quite a while

Reactions: Scarlet83
Not sure what the proper number should be so not going to crucify the staff on this one. You're never going to satisfy everyone, they went with what they felt is correct. If this never occurs again while Young is here, then it was the correct choice. Only time will tell.

Last edited:
this is always a tough call....it would have been easy to suspend him another game since we SHOULD win tonight, with or without him....and then it looks better and he comes back for the tougher games

we don't know the circumstances, if he was way drunk, or just a bit over the limit and made that kind of mistake.....

anyway, the motor vehicle punishment is lasting, and the real punishment here, that does not go away for quite a while

Correct. There is punishment by the law, punishment by the coaching staff and I am sure that part of JY coming back is that he has agreed to go through alcohol education and he has been repentant. The consequences should be multiple and should fit the crime.

And no one here knows the details.

agree. Just personally though, I think DUI is extremely serious and should always warrant a longer suspension.

Not saying anyone here is right or wrong. Very tough call.

I completely trust Pikiell’s judgement and he knows the details and Young’s response since the issue. We on this board know no details. I’m good with it. Let’s get back to talking about basketball.

Glad to have him back..but one game for a DUI? I guess we are beginning to act like the big boys.
Thinking the same thing ... Michigan set the precedent. We don’t know all the details.

Perhaps this is good news....perhaps they see Jacob as repentant and having learned a lesson with additional legal punishment coming....perhaps they’re giving the young man a chance knowing that if he blows this chance he’s done here.

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
agree. Just personally though, I think DUI is extremely serious and should always warrant a longer suspension.

Legally he will get hit very hard. Folks I know who have gotten DUIs have spent $10,000 in legal and court fees/fines. Lost license for a year and been hit with hefty insurance surcharges.

Reactions: Scangg
Thinking the same thing ... Michigan set the precedent. We don’t know all the details.

This is such a dangerous logic. I know people mocked the Simpson suspension saying what do you expect from a member of the Fab Five. I guess we should just write this off as what do you expect from a Calhoun guy.

I am being a 100% facetious. I actually think both coaches are high caliber guys. I just feel like the way we attacked Simpson, Karma had an ultimate 'hold my drink' moment.

Ironically, hold my drink should have been said by both Simpson and Young.

Reactions: RutgersNYCB1G
Welcome back Jacob. Hopefully you - as I and many others have - learned a lesson that you will NEVER forget. It’s not easy, at all, but have faith in yourself, Your coach, your teammates, and the rest of your support system, and you’ll get through it!

Legally he will get hit very hard. Folks I know who have gotten DUIs have spent $10,000 in legal and court fees/fines. Lost license for a year and been hit with hefty insurance surcharges.
Not sure why, but in Texas, the number reaches closer to $20,000 per Texas radio stations Don’t Do Drugs or Drink and Drive ads.

This is such a dangerous logic. I know people mocked the Simpson suspension saying what do you expect from a member of the Fab Five. I guess we should just write this off as what do you expect from a Calhoun guy.

I am being a 100% facetious. I actually think both coaches are high caliber guys. I just feel like the way we attacked Simpson, Karma had an ultimate 'hold my drink' moment.

Ironically, hold my drink should have been said by both Simpson and Young.
I wanted three games myself, but the Michigan kid was a lot worse heading into other types of crimes. Thankfully, Jacob did not murder anyone or harm himself.

The article says he “will be available” for the game today. Will be interesting to see how Pike handles it. Maybe he sits him for the whole first half (so in effect it’s a 1 1/2 game suspension?

Here's the right call: Young to play!

Also, he apologizes to team and coach...and gets counseling at Rutgers relative to making better / safer decisions!

MO

We don't have all the info here, so hard to really criticize Pike's decision without knowing the details. If the DWI was with a BAC of 0.2% (hammered) and a near miss on an accident, I would've wanted a 5+ game suspension (and maybe even the rest of the season), but if the DWI was barely over the legal limit of 0.08% and he rolled through a stop sign rather than barreling through it, I think 1 game is fine. Either way, let's hope JY learned a lesson here and is also receiving some intensive education on drinking and driving.

To me, this case is far less worrisome than the UM case, where there was a failure to conduct a breathalyzer test despite, Simpson lying about his name and being the driver and driving a car that wasn't his! Very hard to not be suspicious that something wasn't swept under the rug wrt/alcohol, but even if he wasn't drunk the lying and evasion were bad enough for a few game suspension, IMO.

Very disappointing. I thought we were better than this. I guess not.

@Greene Rice FIG

The question is, if the player in question was a walk on or someone who doesn't play (e.g. Kiss) would the penalty be the same?

Ask Howard and the powers that be at Michigan. We're in a Win at all costs society...if we don't like it we shouldn't have joined the B1G!

MO

Welcome back Jacob. Hopefully you - as I and many others have - learned a lesson that you will NEVER forget. It’s not easy, at all, but have faith in yourself, Your coach, your teammates, and the rest of your support system, and you’ll get through it!
^Best post on these boards in a long time.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
There will be a secretive donor who helps with court costs and a lawyer fan doing pro bono work.

You are way off with this. If you plead guilty, there are no legal fees, and in NJ now, a first offense come with no suspension unless you blow over a .15, in which case you lose it for 6 months. You get an ignition lock now that you have to keep for a year.

The new law, is way, way more fair then the old mandatory loss of license for 1 year, which forced people into all kinds of bad situations.

Plus, of course, college students are uniquely situated in that even if you do lose your license, it really isn't that big of a deal.

You are way off with this. If you plead guilty, there are no legal fees, and in NJ now, a first offense come with no suspension unless you blow over a .15, in which case you lose it for 6 months. You get an ignition lock now that you have to keep for a year.

The new law, is way, way more fair then the old mandatory loss of license for 1 year, which forced people into all kinds of bad situations.

Plus, of course, college students are uniquely situated in that even if you do lose your license, it really isn't that big of a deal.
You are probably more up to date than I am since I was mentioning a case from several years back. Cost $5,000 for lawyer in order to minimize penalties back tjen

I think this is a no-win situation, people will have opinions ranging from "alcohol-related community service in the offseason" to "he should never play college basketball again." There's no obvious measure to take.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT