ADVERTISEMENT

Jacob Young

Its the same thing. Incredibly a few posters hype a player and then....

Its 3 games in but not seeing it yet
These are the games we should be seeing it too. The paint is open on drives and all he has to do is get a first step and finish strong. If he can’t do it confidently vs Drexel he will struggle mightily in the B1G

These are the games we should be seeing it too. The paint is open on drives and all he has to do is get a first step and finish strong. If he can’t do it confidently vs Drexel he will struggle mightily in the B1G

Agree. He definitely can get to the lane pretty easily, but from there he is unimpressive. Either turns it over or throws up a wild shot.

Classic example of a message board having too much time to fall in love with a transfer. Sure, he was a 4 star recruit and he had the 29 point game. Didn’t seem like Texas or their fans were upset he left.

Young just needs to get back in the game, he has the natural quickness but doesn’t have any or enough moves to finish. If he can remember/learn how to finish he will make some nice driving baskets when we need them

I'm not watching the game but with 11:24 to go, he has six points on 2-5 shooting (2-2 FT), one turnover, one assist, and one steal. That's not too bad for a guy off the bench.

Rough game for Mathis and Young. McDonnell not doing much.

Harper and Geo need to bring this home.

Just like Johnson a few years ago. They come in with the mindset thinking are better and this is only Rutgers. They feel they are the difference in Rutgers being better.

i liked Nigel better than Young so far

i liked Nigel better than Young so far
Yea I mean Nigel may not have been a great fit here but he ended up still getting minutes on a top ranked UVA team. Don’t think a guy like Young would get much burn at any elite program

3 games in. Too early. Caleb McConnell looked like he didn't deserve a scholarship 3 games in last season and Peter Kiss looked like he could be our leading scorer 3 games in last year.

I don't know how good Young is or isn't. Some good, some bad thus far. Have to give it more time.

3 games in. Too early. Caleb McConnell looked like he didn't deserve a scholarship 3 games in last season and Peter Kiss looked like he could be our leading scorer 3 games in last year.

I don't know how good Young is or isn't. Some good, some bad thus far. Have to give it more time.
Excellent point on how many on this board felt about Caleb early last season. It was interesting to see our lineup late when you knew Drexel had to foul: Baker, Harper, McConnell, Yeboah - and Young. Coach trusts him in that spot. He has a role to play on our team. Give him time to find his way.

agree but right now he looks like he did as a soph at Texas. Remember O’Connell was a freshman last year. Young played 2’years at Texas and practiced with us for a year.

agree but right now he looks like he did as a soph at Texas. Remember O’Connell was a freshman last year. Young played 2’years at Texas and practiced with us for a year.

Hadn't played a CBB game in 604 days. Posted in another thread between Mathis and Young we are getting 20 ppg out of our 2 guard spot. Might be ugly right now, but I am encouraged we are getting 20 much needed points out of that spot.

Am I missing something here regarding this criticism?

I did not watch the game but the box score shows 2-6 in FGs, 4-4 in FTs and 1 Turnover. Eight points. Two of his four misses resulted in made FTs.

Every year this board looks for a target to criticize.....looks like some people have zeroed in in Jacob Young.

Last edited:

I did not watch the game but the box score shows 2-6 in FGs, 4-4 in FTs and 1 Turnover. Eight points. Two of his four misses resulted in made FTs.

Every year this board looks for a target to criticize.....looks like some people have zeroed in in Jacob Young.
If you're not actually watching the game, the box score only tells you so much. Two of his four misses resulted in made FTs? That doesn't even make any sense. You realize you don't get charged for a missed shot if you get fouled, right??

Right now he's out of control, taking highly contested shots on drives that offer no chance for an offensive rebound so they're basically unforced turnovers and he's not passing the ball. All of the criticisms that I've read on this thread are accurate so far. BUT, he's only three games into his RU career so it will take some time to mesh with his teammates and calm down a bit. I can't say anything he is doing or isn't doing on defense jumps out at me but there has to be a reason why Pikiell is giving him the playing time he has at the expense of someone like McConnell. This judgment I CAN make after only three games though - he is in no way, shape, or form a point guard.

Last edited:

I remember One Guy on this board hyping Jacob Young as a star. But, it's only a few games and history has shown us that we should probably not judge too quickly. That is some rust that needs to be worked out.

If you're not actually watching the game, the box score only tells you so much. Two of his four misses resulted in made FTs? That doesn't even make any sense. You realize you don't get charged for a missed shot if you get fouled, right??

Right now he's out of control, taking highly contested shots on drives that offer no chance for an offensive rebound so they're basically unforced turnovers and he's not passing the ball. All of the criticisms that I've read on this thread are accurate so far. BUT, he's only three games into his RU career so it will take some time to mesh with his teammates and calm down a bit. I can't say anything he is doing or isn't doing on defense jumps out at me but there has to be a reason why Pikiell is giving him the playing time he has at the expense of someone like McConnell. This judgment I CAN make after only three games though - he is in no way, shape, or form a point guard.

Correct...forgot how they calculate that for misses when fouled. " A Free Shot "

Hilarious to see kyk like this post when he was the original conductor of the Young hype train and got me on board...

I am in England and haven't seen a game yet so I'm not going to comment but hopefully he finds his groove

How has he looked defensively? I really thought his speed and quickness would be a major asset shutting down the quick PGs penetration that we struggled with

Reactions: GoFish2
You can’t teach talent, and Young is super talented. Has he made some bad decisions with the ball a few times in these first couple games, yes ... will he get his feet under him as the season goes on? Yes. Everyone calm down and let the kids do their thing!! I have a feeling he will end up impressing a lot of people

It was 47-39 & Drexel got it to 47-47.....after the timeout, Young was guarded by a player that wasn't in good position and attacked the basket

He had done that a couple of times earlier and missed, but this time was fouled and made 2 FTs.

Young can get RU into the bonus quicker, because despite not having a good feel yet, he can get past his defender. He needs to then look for contact so he can draw fouls, vs.trying to twist and score. Getting to the FT line is the best way to break scoring runs.

I don't think he can play any worse than the 1st 3 games, so I see 20 to 22 minutes of energy off the bench and the staff getting him to understand time and score. The 47 all, FTs was timely....can he slow down and play B1G caliber guard play you need in this conference, night in and night out??

That remains to be seen but RU needs Young to help generate defensive pressure on guards and to make opponents get back on defense. We turned down a couple of early 3 pointers in transition that Young generated.....they would have been classified as.bad shots, but sometimes your 1st open look is the best one of the possession.

Pretty much this. He is taking away time from Caleb and people are zeroing in on him. He took 6 shots (8 with 2 resulting in productive fouls) and people are complaining as if he took 18 shots.

The dude is super quick ... looked a little out of control ... after a few games he will adjust ... the feeling I get kind of reminds me of a spring game where Grant scores a TD and I saw the speed and said where did he come from .. he will settle in and start to dish the ball more and pick his drives better.

I think it’s more that every year we seem to have one player that plays a little selfish at times. Last year, it was Omoruyi but he often made up for it in other ways. The year before that it was Freeman. Young sometimes forces shots, tries for the dramatic or shoots without passing. Personally, I think he’s trying to hard to prove himself. If he plays within himself, he will be a valuable piece to this team since he provides quickness and defense that this team lacks. He can also score and the dramatic plays will come. I think he gets better as season progresses.

I don't recall any instances where he got beat off the dribble or lost his man or was late on a close out.....this is 1/2 the game

The guy I call our best defender (or potential best defender) repeatedly lost his man or closed out late on 3s

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT