ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Roster: How do you see it vs 2020-2021 team?

RUsojo

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 18, 2010
Lot of talk being thrown around that an elite 8/final 4 run next year is grouped in with what might be likely outcomes next year. And that people are underestimating what next year means for Pikes future recruiting success.

Knowing what we know today, I think everyone would be in agreement that next years team will not be as good as the 2019-2020 covid year team.

I dont want to assume how people feel about next years team vs 2020-2021 team that beat Clemson in the NCAA tournament. Which team would you think is better H2H and would perform better in the 2020-2021 conference?

Geo
Young
McConnell
RHjr
Myles
Montez
Cliff
Paul

You have it straight. The same way people are talking about expectations next year without knowing the roster.

@RUInsanity

Well no. I think if you compared pre-season expectations of that team to pre-season expectations of where we are now, that is a fair argument. That was a complete roster to an incomplete one which makes your comparison unfair. Clever attempt, but unfair. Let's try again in May.

That team was one Myles Johnson blown dunk away from being in the sweet 16, with a not-impossible path to the final 4. Because we had our first NCAA Tournament win in a thousand years, we didn't take the loss to UH that hard. But looking back, that was a REALLY GOOD TEAM. Ditto the team with Yaboah in the Covid year. We're going to need a really strong showing in the portal to be better than those teams.

Well no. I think if you compared pre-season expectations of that team to pre-season expectations of where we are now, that is a fair argument. That was a complete roster to an incomplete one which makes your comparison unfair. Clever attempt, but unfair. Let's try again in May.
Well no. But look forward to not seeing you post about next season until May!

look forward to not seeing you post about next season until May!

Clever again.

Also, let's look at the 2020 situation. No NIL. Not as much transfer movement. Everyone staying in place due to the pandemic.

I think it's fair to talk about the potential of next season without putting expectations on it. But not fair comparing and incomplete roster to a complete one. The comparison you are asking for at this exact moment is unfair and would be clearly centered on the negative. Of course, I prefer to be optimistic, because there is no fun in pessimism.

Clever again.

Also, let's look at the 2020 situation. No NIL. Not as much transfer movement. Everyone staying in place due to the pandemic.

I think it's fair to talk about the potential of next season without putting expectations on it. Or comparing and incomplete roster to a complete one. The comparison you are asking for at this exact moment is unfair and would be clearly centered on the negative. Of course, I prefer to be optimistic, because there is no fun in pessimism.
It’s not a matter of reducing this to positive or negative. It’s a discussion. This good or bad attitude, failure/success attitude can be toxic.

Though you saying it’s a negative exercise implies you don’t think this team will be as good or don’t think the expectations should be higher (at this point in time before the roster is complete) than the 2020-2021 team.

if you think it’s ok to talk about the potential of an incomplete roster but not ok to compare the potential of the incomplete roster to the 20-21 team, that’s fine. I think it’s hypocritical, but certainly no harm done.

It’s not a matter of reducing this to positive or negative. It’s a discussion. This good or bad attitude, failure/success attitude can be toxic.

Though you saying it’s a negative exercise implies you don’t think this team will be as good or don’t think the expectations should be higher (at this point in time before the roster is complete) than the 2020-2021 team.

if you think it’s ok to talk about the potential of an incomplete roster but not ok to compare the potential of the incomplete roster to the 20-21 team. That’s fine. I think it’s hypocritical, but certainly no harm done.

It's a negative exercise because you currently have 4 players left from last year and only 5 coming in. We don't know how a brand new roster is going to play out. Where as in 20-21 you had a complete roster with a lot of continuity coming in. It's two totally different situations. And because there is so much unknown right now, it's gotta be a negative outcome, which is what you WANT everyone to say because you ALWAYS fall on the negative side when it comes to basketball. I don't know what your football takes are because football is dumb.

if you think it’s ok to talk about the potential of an incomplete roster but not ok to compare the potential of the incomplete roster to the 20-21 team, that’s fine. I think it’s hypocritical, but certainly no harm done.

I think you are missing the point. The future potential (good or bad) based on what we know of the roster, coaching, portal etc. at this time would certainly be OK for anyone. That aside, not sure how it would be a fair discussion comparing a complete roster to an incomplete one.

With all due respect, this is a silly (at worst) and premature (at best) thread. OP wants to compare the "2024 roster" -- which has four vacant spots as of now, two of which are starting spots -- to the complete 2020-21 roster? And is actually doubling down that it's a valid comparison and is being snarky when dpwhite points that out?

Shaking my head at this one.

The 2020-21 team was #38 on kenpom. Then 2019-20 team was #28 on Kenpom.

For comparison the 2018-19 team was #78 on kenpom and kept a lot of it's roster.
The 2023-24 team is/was #100 on kenpom and will see significant roster turnover and add the #2 and #3 recruits.

I think there's plenty of room to be better than #28 and also room to be worse than #38.

I definitely think my expectations for 2025 are better than my expectations for 2020 were on 3/26/2019.

I really have no idea though until we see how the portal shakes out. It's a different world now.

It's a negative exercise because you currently have 4 players left from last year and only 5 coming in. We don't know how a brand new roster is going to play out. Where as in 20-21 you had a complete roster with a lot of continuity coming in. It's two totally different situations. And because there is so much unknown right now, it's gotta be a negative outcome, which is what you WANT everyone to say because you ALWAYS fall on the negative side when it comes to basketball. I don't know what your football takes are because football is dumb.
It absolutely does not need to be a negative outcome. In fact I think the opposite!

I think 9 times out of 10 this roster ends up better than 20-21 rotation playing at years end.

Also - if you care to go back - the 2020-21 Pre-Season prediction thread was a mixed bag. Some had us not even winning enough to get to the tournament. Hindsight is always 20-20.

Reactions: RUsojo
Lot of talk being thrown around that an elite 8/final 4 run next year is grouped in with what might be likely outcomes next year. And that people are underestimating what next year means for Pikes future recruiting success.

Knowing what we know today, I think everyone would be in agreement that next years team will not be as good as the 2019-2020 covid year team.

I dont want to assume how people feel about next years team vs 2020-2021 team that beat Clemson in the NCAA tournament. Which team would you think is better H2H and would perform better in the 2020-2021 conference?

Geo
Young
McConnell
RHjr
Myles
Montez
Cliff
Paul

I’ve seen very few people state that an Elite 8 or Final 4 was the LIKELY outcome for next year.

In fact - I can’t recall seeing anyone state this is the LIKELY outcome.

Any common sense individual would have the few marbles it takes to realize it’s way too premature for predictions on next year.

Can you point out to the threads where folks are saying this? I would like to see all of these folks takes that I have clearly missed.

Unless you’re just assuming what people think (although you state that’s not your intent) and are trying to make up your own narrative when maybe only 40-50% of our roster next year is known at this point. This is the more likely scenario based on your posting history and reputation you’ve built, but I like to give folks the benefit of the doubt to start.

Last edited:
I’ve seen very few people state that an Elite 8 or Final 4 was the LIKELY outcome for next year.

In fact - I can’t recall seeing anyone state this is the LIKELY outcome.

Any common sense individual would have the few marbles it takes to realize it’s way too premature for predictions on next year.

Can you point out to the threads where folks are saying this? I would like to see all of these folks takes that I have clearly missed.

Unless you’re just assuming what people think (although you state that’s not your intent) and are trying to make up your own narrative when maybe only 40-50% of our roster next year is known at this point. This is the more likely scenario based on your posting history and reputation you’ve built, but I like to give folks the benefit of the doubt to start.
This thread is for season ticket holders in 2025 and beyond. Sorry I should’ve clarified.

I will not be complying and citing each final four or elite 8 reference but it’s been mentioned numerous times within the last few weeks.

This thread is for season ticket holders in 2025 and beyond. Sorry I should’ve clarified.

I will not be complying and citing each final four or elite 8 reference but it’s been mentioned numerous times within the last few weeks.

Soooo you’re just making $hit up to fit your agenda like you usually do - got it!

And to be clear - I never said I was definitely giving up my season tickets. I said I may give them up OR start selling them for FMV.

Selling them for FMV to jokers like yourself actually sounds like a good idea. Since you only attend the marquee games you’ll be willing to fork over a few hundred for each of my seats because you still probably won’t have season tickets.

Soooo you’re just making $hit up to fit your agenda like you usually do - got it!

And to be clear - I never said I was definitely giving up my season tickets. I said I may give them up OR start selling them for FMV.

Selling them for FMV to jokers like yourself actually sounds like a good idea. Since you only attend the marquee games you’ll be willing to fork over a few hundred for each of my seats because you still probably won’t have season tickets.
I have 100 level seats locked in for 5 conference games in 2024. Looking for more if you’re selling 100 level.

Unfortunately many of the people who said they were getting rid of their tickets because of NIL turned out to just be complaining for the sake of complaining. Still holding out hope though.

I have 100 level seats locked in for 5 conference games in 2024. Looking for more if you’re selling 100 level.

Unfortunately many of the people who said they were getting rid of their tickets because of NIL turned out to just be complaining for the sake of complaining. Still holding out hope though.

Congrats - glad to hear you were able to benefit off some of our longest and most loyal supporters to sit in the 100 level for the games that are convenient for you. Nice of you to jump on the bandwagon!

And getting back to your OP - I was legitimately asking you to provide the threads where folks were saying Elite 8 / Final 4 was the most likely outcome for next year. I spend a lot of time (too much) on these boards and genuinely missed this discussion.

Not sure why you had to get all snarky on your response to me. So I’ll ask again - can you link these threads? This is the backbone of your OP so I want to see where all these posters have made these predictions.

Congrats - glad to hear you were able to benefit off some of our longest and most loyal supporters to sit in the 100 level for the games that are convenient for you. Nice of you to jump on the bandwagon!

And getting back to your OP - I was legitimately asking you to provide the threads where folks were saying Elite 8 / Final 4 was the most likely outcome for next year. I spend a lot of time (too much) on these boards and genuinely missed this discussion.

Not sure why you had to get all snarky on your response to me. So I’ll ask again - can you link these threads? This is the backbone of your OP so I want to see where all these posters have made these predictions.
I mean even if you told me with 100% certainty that we would be the best team in the country next year.. we’d still probably be less than 50% to actually reach the final four. So if there actually was a real human claiming final four as the most likely outcome they can probably be safely ignored.

I mean even if you told me with 100% certainty that we would be the best team in the country next year.. we’d still probably be less than 50% to actually reach the final four. So if there actually was a real human claiming final four as the most likely outcome they can probably be safely ignored.
Indeed they should. Wildly out of touch board at times.

Indeed they should. Wildly out of touch board at times.

If you agree that folks predicting an Elite 8 / Final 4 run at this point in time should be ignored then why exactly did you make this thread?

Isn’t this thread giving them attention and doing the exact opposite of ignore them?

And that’s assuming folks are even predicting this. I’ve given you the benefit of the doubt but you still haven’t been able to provide the threads where this is occurring.

If you agree that folks predicting an Elite 8 / Final 4 run at this point in time should be ignored then why exactly did you make this thread?

Isn’t this thread giving them attention and doing the exact opposite of ignore them?

And that’s assuming folks are even predicting this. I’ve given you the benefit of the doubt but you still haven’t been able to provide the threads where this is occurring.
Bc I’m nice

Bc I’m nice

O okay.

Not ignoring people you agree should be ignored.

Not providing proof of where folks are saying what you’re claiming they’re saying (and even if they were saying these things, you agree they should be ignored).

Claiming this thread is only open to 2025 season ticket holders although it’s about the 2024 season.

Cool thread!

Last edited:

Geo
Young
McConnell
RHjr
Myles
Montez
Cliff
Paul
We don't even know who's on the team next year yet. How can we compare them?

2019-20 20-11
2020-21 7 of the top 9 rotational players return minus Yeboah and Shaq Carter while adding a top 50 class.

Geo, JY, RHJ, Mathis, Caleb, Paul, Myles and Cliff
9-13 Doucoure, Oskar, Mag, Reiber, and Jaden Jones, early enroll.

2023-24 15-17
Much needed over haul.
2024-25 5 total players return bringing in a top 5 class including 2 top 5 players. We have Oskar and 4 players that have been in a Rutgers uniform less than a year,

JWill, JMike, DylHarper, Gavin, Ace, Sommerville, Ogbole, Grant, Dortch, Oskar?

We only know the names of 9 or 10 of the possible 13 scholarships
Need 3 or 4 unknown transfers to complete the picture.

I'm happy to see Pike put his foot down and tell them if you are leaving announce it early, he definitely saw the impact of your top 2 guards, Cam and Paul, transferring late had in the off season as well as this year's squad. He never had a full complement of 13 scholarships, healthy and available, at any point Oct 2023 to March 2024 due to circumstances beyond his control.

There is no way you can compare them til we know who Pike is bringing in and how it will fit together.

20-21 ran 8 players deep and a huge drop off.
24-25 Ace and Dylan are more complete players today than any player on that 20-21 top 8. JY being the closest skill wise. We need players that complement what Ace and Dylan do well. We have some pieces but we need more and experience on a very young and talented team.

Pike needs to find another yeboah. A guy who did a lot of little things on the court, could defend 3 to 4 positions, and do his ymca grandpa ball to score easy points in the lane.

I’ll be glad to chime in to this when we have a full roster

I will say …that I felt the 2020-2021 team should have done better during the regular season to earn a higher NCAA seed then they did (10 seed) and have an more winnable game then 2nd seeded Houston in Round 2

They were preseason 25…and I thought they could be a 5/6 seed and a sweet 16 team

I’m still in denial that Myles missed that dunk …the game was won and over …and get to the sweet 16 to play Syracuse who we already beat ….

I agree in hindsight the 20-21 team should have been better than 10-10 in B1G (14-10 overall), needing to beat Gophers in OT on road and beat Indiana in B1G tourney just to get 10 seed.

That said, I won't compare current incomplete roster with 20-21 but I will write that team had quality depth that we haven't had the past 2 seasons...and that depth was crucial in a few games to win. Young, Mathis off bench would be among best players on this year's team.

On YouTube can watch highlights of RU games vs Clemson and Houston...there is a big difference in quality of play between that team and past 2 years overall...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT