ADVERTISEMENT

Jamal Hunt Jr

higgins3

All American
Dec 15, 2012
Potential walk on to our 2016 team. One of Delawares best high school players. I think of him as an okay back up to Sanders. We have batie there, but Hunt Jr seemed to of made more noise in HS than Batie did. I wish the best to both.

I tweeted at him and it still seems like he is dead set on trying out for a walk on position.

Recruiting is so strange. Hard to believe a guy that accomplished so much in high school has no offers. Not a low major, not a Division 2. Nothing.

Unless there's a red flag we're not aware of, it seems unfathomable. Plenty of 5-10 guys play college ball somewhere. I'll be rooting hard for for him have an impact here. Seems like a great kid.

https://theleftbench.com/blog/2016/04/27/jamal-hunt-jr-plans-to-walk-on-at-rutgers/

Recruiting is so strange. Hard to believe a guy that accomplished so much in high school has no offers. Not a low major, not a Division 2. Nothing.

Unless there's a red flag we're not aware of, it seems unfathomable. Plenty of 5-10 guys play college ball somewhere. I'll be rooting hard for for him have an impact here. Seems like a great kid.

https://theleftbench.com/blog/2016/04/27/jamal-hunt-jr-plans-to-walk-on-at-rutgers/

It is a little weird. I still think if it happens, he can push Sanders, kids in the guard position.

I can't find out if Hunt has any offers from any school, even lower level schools .

Reactions: higgins3
There are a lot of accomplished, undersized (for college) high school players that don't get a sniff.

Young man looks like he's got some skills and has a sweet stroke from beyond the arc. -Wish him the very best in his attempt to gain a spot on the RU squad via the walk-on route.

If this guy is as good as people think and can steal say 5 minutes a game as a walk-on, this would be a huge plus. It allows us to play some 3 guard sets, which in term allows us to be deeper at the 3 and the 4 (since we have a couple of swing forwards). And its sort of an insurance policy in case we run into some bad luck and lose a few guys to injury. But this basketball program rarely runs into any bad luck o_O

Last edited:
This is good as he will be a walk on but now we will have 3 walk on guards (Batie, Dadika & Hunt) that are all about the same height. I think we need one more guy who could play a forward position whether that be an 11th scholarship guy or another walk on. An 11th scholarship guy could be a guard too if he could be a little taller like 6'2"-6'4".

Just going by that tape: That drag back cross over won't work in college like it does in high school or pick-up. He starts his three from his knees. Compared to a guy who can shoot from above the shoulder with strong wrists. He needs too much time and space to hoist his shot. His size is a huge problem on defense. A guy like this can make it but it is up hill. If he has speed and court vision he can contribute. I think small guys that look to steal the ball can be just as effective as shot blockers, but it takes work. He would really have to be a high energy guy. Be great if he could hit the fade away or if he had a sense for multiple release angles.

Just going by that tape: That drag back cross over won't work in college like it does in high school or pick-up. He starts his three from his knees. Compared to a guy who can shoot from above the shoulder with strong wrists. He needs too much time and space to hoist his shot. His size is a huge problem on defense. A guy like this can make it but it is up hill. If he has speed and court vision he can contribute. I think small guys that look to steal the ball can be just as effective as shot blockers, but it takes work. He would really have to be a high energy guy. Be great if he could hit the fade away or if he had a sense for multiple release angles.
Agreed. His shot is not quick and defense seems average, grated its AAU type ball.

There isn't any way he consistently gets shots off against good defenders. Those jumpers and layups would be swatted into the seats. There are guards at this level that are 6-5 that are just as quick. At that size, you need Isaiah Thomas-level skills.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT