ADVERTISEMENT

Jamie Vinson Visiting

What exactly about Ogbole’s defensive game did you observe as such a major drop off from Cliff in his limited action? He fouled too much but mostly not bad fouls. Other than that - what? I thought he held his own.

He also did well on the offensive glass. Just has to learn to be stronger with the ball there when he gets it. But ok, we know Cliff will execute more than him on Ally Oops and such. We don’t need to force things into the paint though hopefully on offense. From what I saw Ogbole held his own on D.
Fouling is a big part of the problem, which nullifies his D. Extremely slow to react mostly due to his size. He’s one of those players that can pick up three fouls in a minute. Also, he’ll be on the court as the only big right now (he won’t be on the court with our other big, Latham), which means he’ll pick up unnecessary fouls since we will get picked apart at the four. His hands are awful and his reflexes are slow. The only thing that makes him a B1G player is that he’s on a B1G roster. I can’t see him being a rotational player on any B1G team but if he needs to spell someone for 5-10 minutes a game, that’s fine.

Seems to me that people are starting to rationalize in case we fail at picking up our biggest need in the portal.

Last edited:
MJ was beefy. This kid is skinny
Still reminiscent of one another to me. Based on the limited footage I’ve seen, Vinson appears to have a post game and shot blocking prowess much like Myles. Vinson looks slightly more mobile to me and definitely looks to be the better shooter. Would more than happily sign this kid up…but watching the tape appears pretty clear to me this kid is a 5 thru and thru. Not seeing the PF designation

Fouling is a big part of the problem, which nullifies his D. Extremely slow to react mostly due to his size. He’s one of those players that can pick up three fouls in a minute. Also, he’ll be on the court as the only big right now (he won’t be on the court with our other big, Latham), which means he’ll pick up unnecessary fouls since we will get picked apart at the four. His hands are awful and his reflexes are slow. The only thing that makes him a B1G player is that he’s on a B1G roster. I can’t see him being a rotational player on any B1G team but if he needs to spell someone for 5-10 minutes a game, that’s fine.

Seems to me that people are starting to rationalize in case we fail at picking up our biggest need in the portal.
And Cliff's " hands" were great?? Nope and every honest person knew that.

Reactions: BossNJ and SBP

Yes - he can pick up 3 quick fouls. Guess who else did that? MJ comes to mind immediately. He doesn’t have slow reflexes. He actually has above average instincts. Grabs the rebound but couldn’t hang onto it. Not strong enough yet with the ball but that’s mostly on offense. We rebounded well on D when he was in the game even if his personal stats don’t reflect that. Good instincts with boxing out. He doesn’t foul because he gets beat often - he fouls because he was overzealous. Which might come with the territory of trying to prove yourself with a late start 2/3 of the way through the season.

This makes more sense than trying to outbid other teams on a 4th/5th year big looking for 💰💰💰. The market seems to be quite overpriced right now.

Given the scoring we have and have brought in at 1-4 for 24-25, all we need next year at the starting 5spot is a guy who can play defense, get offensive rebounds and easy put backs off missed shots. Ogbole does show promise in all three areas, 20 rebs in 81 minutes, 14 offensive. FG 7-16, 7-13 close, 0-3 mid, 17 FT attempts, 7 made is alot in limited minutes, he will draw alot of fouls on the other team. He is very active around the basket, offensively and defensively. Improve his footwork and hands and he will surprise a lot of people next year. Latham will be the scoring Big off the bench when Ace and Dylan/starters are off the floor.

Vinson is lower ranked than any of the five already coming in. Next year's rotation at the 4/5 is Ace, Ogbole, Latham, Dortch, and Vinson as a 4/5, a Coleman Hawkins like project along side a big. He will compete for starter with Dortch in 25-26. I like this potential move if it pans out. Martini will allow the flexibility to possibly redshirt one of Grant, Dortch or Vinson, whoever isn't physically ready to compete in the B1G.

I think Ace is going to be the 3. Which is why Gavin left.

Yes - he can pick up 3 quick fouls. Guess who else did that? MJ comes to mind immediately. He doesn’t have slow reflexes. He actually has above average instincts. Grabs the rebound but couldn’t hang onto it. Not strong enough yet with the ball but that’s mostly on offense. We rebounded well on D when he was in the game even if his personal stats don’t reflect that. Good instincts with boxing out. He doesn’t foul because he gets beat often - he fouls because he was overzealous. Which might come with the territory of trying to prove yourself with a late start 2/3 of the way through the season.
So far I’ve seen Ogbole compared to Johnson regarding fouling and to Cliff regarding having bad hands. While both may be true, Ogbole is not on the same stratosphere as either as an overall player. I’m not seeing what you see. I see a massive project who will be exposed if he plays regularly. I would be happy to be wrong.

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
So far I’ve seen Ogbole compared to Johnson regarding fouling and to Cliff regarding having bad hands. While both may be true, Ogbole is not on the same stratosphere as either as an overall player. I’m not seeing what you see. I see a massive project who will be exposed if he plays regularly. I would be happy to be wrong.
I think you are underestimating how quickly gifted athletes who are projects can develop. MJ was a project too. I’d prefer to have a proven starter big. But Ogbole doesn’t terrify me.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
huh? Why do you assume Somerville tops ahead of Ogbole? That would be great, but he’s never played a second of D1 basketball. I would assume Ogbole is the starter until Somerville or another unproven earns the spot ahead of him. There are exceptions, but it’s not that common for frosh BIgs outside of McDonalds all American to play big minutes their first year. We’ll see.
I was in the lobby of the Hyatt in April, as Pike was hosting a HS recruit and family. I saw Pike introduce Ogbole as our starting center and talk him up to the kid, saying don’t you wanna play with a big guy like this under the hoop etc etc.

I know a lot can change. I know Pike would have gladly taken a big time transfer in an instant, BUT…the way he introduced Ogbole made me feel at that moment Pike truly believes in him and plans for him to start.

I think you are underestimating how quickly gifted athletes who are projects can develop. MJ was a project too. I’d prefer to have a proven starter big. But Ogbole doesn’t terrify me.
He will be 24 when the season starts, he is not getting much better.

I was in the lobby of the Hyatt in April, as Pike was hosting a HS recruit and family. I saw Pike introduce Ogbole as our starting center and talk him up to the kid, saying don’t you wanna play with a big guy like this under the hoop etc etc.

I know a lot can change. I know Pike would have gladly taken a big time transfer in an instant, BUT…the way he introduced Ogbole made me feel at that moment Pike truly believes in him and plans for him to start.
Wow. That’s certainly disappointing.

Let's file this in the category of Dean Reiber getting in the mix at the PF spot, Antonio Chol being the best shooter in practice and Wolf starting games at the 4....all 3 things could have been true for a short period of time or for a day, but Pike's goal is to sell the program 24/7/365.

You don't have to sell Ace Bailey, Dylan Harper or Lathan Sommerville to incoming recruits, they can see it with their own eyes. Ogbole has a long way to go to ever become a starter....he could in theory "start" and still be a 10 to 12 minutes a game kid, but as positive as I always am, I have to be realistic about reducing expectations......we saw how that ran wild and out of control last spring, overhyping Mawot Mag when it was never justified.

Let's just keep Ogbole on the roster and assume modest improvements, now that he's removed from injury and rehab.

Jamie Vinson looks pretty good in these high school highlights.
Looks like he can shoot the 3 and protect the rim.
To get back on track and discuss Vinson, he has a lot of upside and similar to Ogbole, you cannot teach size and arm length or ability to alter/block shots.

To me, he is a skinny and more mobile version of Myles Johnson, BUT he had much more shooting touch and range out to the 3 point line that Myles never had.

If you land him and get 4 months of workouts from June to October under his belt, I think he can help off the bench in a much more efficient role. It opens up Lathan Sommerville to be the starter and provides a younger insurance policy that does something unique at the 5 position.....block shots, some mobility and shooting range. Also shows good hands and abilities to pass the ball.

Obviously needs strength, but that's why you take him and develop him.

Reactions: BillyC80
Jamie Vinson looks pretty good in these high school highlights.
Looks like he can shoot the 3 and protect the rim.
He looks like a solid stretch 5, albeit against poor competition where he was by far the tallest player on the floor. He can shoot and block shots.

In a vacuum, I like him as a developmental recruit, and even as a deep reserve as a freshman.

But I’d still rather have an experienced center from the portal for 2024-25.

Reactions: BillyC80 and Scangg
Goes to show the reports of not trying to add a big were incorrect.
Lol no dude. It clearly means they gave up on adding an impact veteran big man which they want and are now desperate and trying to add a mediocre freshman 3 star who won’t have any impact this year.

Given the scoring we have and have brought in at 1-4 for 24-25, all we need next year at the starting 5spot is a guy who can play defense, get offensive rebounds and easy put backs off missed shots. Ogbole does show promise in all three areas, 20 rebs in 81 minutes, 14 offensive. FG 7-16, 7-13 close, 0-3 mid, 17 FT attempts, 7 made is alot in limited minutes, he will draw alot of fouls on the other team. He is very active around the basket, offensively and defensively. Improve his footwork and hands and he will surprise a lot of people next year. Latham will be the scoring Big off the bench when Ace and Dylan/starters are off the floor.
Yes. If he remains healthy, Ogbole can make a nice jump in the production we most need from a 5.

He got a late start to basketball, I don’t know how good he can be, but he has time to improve. Guys who have been playing since they were young kids, played in college still improve when they get to the NBA.
A very few do, and it happens under super intense 24/7 training conditions that are not available in college. And the vast majority of players are starting to plateau at that age, even with the most advanced training.

Let's file this in the category of Dean Reiber getting in the mix at the PF spot, Antonio Chol being the best shooter in practice and Wolf starting games at the 4....all 3 things could have been true for a short period of time or for a day, but Pike's goal is to sell the program 24/7/365.

You don't have to sell Ace Bailey, Dylan Harper or Lathan Sommerville to incoming recruits, they can see it with their own eyes. Ogbole has a long way to go to ever become a starter....he could in theory "start" and still be a 10 to 12 minutes a game kid, but as positive as I always am, I have to be realistic about reducing expectations......we saw how that ran wild and out of control last spring, overhyping Mawot Mag when it was never justified.

Let's just keep Ogbole on the roster and assume modest improvements, now that he's removed from injury and rehab.
remember how bad you whiffed on last seasons roster saying we were deeper and better and wouldn't miss Cam. Epic miss

Reactions: Scangg

Lathan is not the level of recruit as Ace or Harper. There is no reason to assume he will have more success at his position as a frosh than GG. Maybe he will but until he proves otherwise the assumed floor of the team has to be Ogbole starting and playing 24ish minutes a game (which is all we could realistically assume he could provide at his current fouling rate). The point is - that’s the worst case scenario and it wouldn’t be the “circus” disaster some are making it out to be. I’m not saying Ogbole is a stud but he’s not a massive liability either.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
This recruit complicates Rutgers roster which already has Somerville as a four star freshmen center .He has the skillset to make shots away from the basket and also dribble the ball the whole length of the court.Fans have been told that Rutgers was seeking a one year replacement for Cliff to share playing time with Sommerville.I doubt Sommerville is happy hearing another freshmen center is being recruited.

Ogbole is the backup because Rutgers couldn't attract a one year center from the transfer portal.Its getting late in the recruiting cycle with players reporting June 10,2024.
Rutgers must score more points than the other team in order to win. If Rutgers scores fewer points than the other team, it won’t win. The object of the game is to score more points than the other team.

Lathan is not the level of recruit as Ace or Harper. There is no reason to assume he will have more success at his position as a frosh than GG. Maybe he will but until he proves otherwise the assumed floor of the team has to be Ogbole starting and playing 24ish minutes a game (which is all we could realistically assume he could provide at his current fouling rate). The point is - that’s the worst case scenario and it wouldn’t be the “circus” disaster some are making it out to be. I’m not saying Ogbole is a stud but he’s not a massive liability either.
Ogbole might be a big liability. There is a reasonable chance that he will improve and be serviceable, or not. We know nothing for certain.

Ogbole might be a big liability. There is a reasonable chance that he will improve and be serviceable, or not. We know nothing for certain.
I mean, if by “might” you mean, maybe he’ll get worse, then yeah, maybe. Most players do not get worse from year to year. It might have seemed like Wolf did, but in reality what he showed as a frosh was ability to make offensive plays when the players around him were more of a threat to score. He was a liability on D as a frosh and didn’t improve year over year.

Ogbole doesn’t have to improve at all though to not be a big liability because unlike Wolf, he already doesn’t allow easy baskets. Thats why he’s the one still here. We saw enough of him to know that - all 8.1 minutes he averaged were in meaningful action vs. non cupcakes. There’s a difference between not having the athleticism to complete the ally oops that Cliff could execute, and being a liability. We’d be better off with a big like Cliff who is a bigger offensive threat. Obviously. But that’s different from saying absent improvement Ogbole would be a major liability on the court. It’s just not true unless he regresses a considerable amount.

I mean, if by “might” you mean, maybe he’ll get worse, then yeah, maybe. Most players do not get worse from year to year. It might have seemed like Wolf did, but in reality what he showed as a frosh was ability to make offensive plays when the players around him were more of a threat to score. He was a liability on D as a frosh and didn’t improve year over year.

Ogbole doesn’t have to improve at all though to not be a big liability because unlike Wolf, he already doesn’t allow easy baskets. Thats why he’s the one still here. We saw enough of him to know that - all 8.1 minutes he averaged were in meaningful action vs. non cupcakes. There’s a difference between not having the athleticism to complete the ally oops that Cliff could execute, and being a liability. We’d be better off with a big like Cliff who is a bigger offensive threat. Obviously. But that’s different from saying absent improvement Ogbole would be a major liability on the court. It’s just not true unless he regresses a considerable amount.
I just don't agree. You projected his stats out to 30 mins per game and they were fine. But there is a big difference playing as the starter for the full game and playing 8 mins of mop up. He's a physical fighter, and that you can't teach. But his hands, his D, his footwork on O and D, his fouling, his ability to be a threat that has to be accounted for...at least for me I didn't se that. Yet. So there is promise. But we won't know until the games start how much it's been realized.

remember how bad you whiffed on last seasons roster saying we were deeper and better and wouldn't miss Cam. Epic miss
Well, it actually was but its understandable that you can't comprehend basic basketball.

Did you also think every returning player would regress or play worse than the year before?? I certainly didn't, but common sense would say it's an aberration.

And factor in you and others going gaga over Mag, but I guess I was wrong about that too

Or was it that JWill was the most complete guard since Geo Baker/Jacob Young??

Or was it the Mulcahy wouldn't be missed and wasnt welcomed back....and went on to average 6PPG at Washington??

Or was it that Baye Ndongo would have started over Mag at the 4?? I think he's sticking in the NBA draft, but hey, I was wrong about him being a key piece to the puzzle....LMAO

Let's just also say that I always bet on talent and tape. You on the other hand KNOW, I'm adding legitimate information, topics, hints about facts that's usually (not always) right.

Last year was about building depth and finding out what players were capable of making the jump to earn minutes on this year's team....we needed to find out about how good Mag was (or never actually was), Simpson, JMike, Wolf etc....if any of them showed they were good enough, it would have shown last year. We found out they weren't and ALL were replaced.

Let me know if you need more information, I'm here to help!! 😁😁

Reactions: RUDiddy777
I just don't agree. You projected his stats out to 30 mins per game and they were fine. But there is a big difference playing as the starter for the full game and playing 8 mins of mop up. He's a physical fighter, and that you can't teach. But his hands, his D, his footwork on O and D, his fouling, his ability to be a threat that has to be accounted for...at least for me I didn't se that. Yet. So there is promise. But we won't know until the games start how much it's been realized.
He didn’t play mop up except at the very end of the season when he was in the dog house for getting that flagrant. And actually, the brief appearances he had after that probably dilute his per game numbers if anything. He really didn’t play much then. It’s those early games I’m focused on. Go rewatch them. He was solid. Nothing special, but held his own.

He didn’t play mop up except at the very end of the season when he was in the dog house for getting that flagrant. And actually, the brief appearances he had after that probably dilute his per game numbers if anything. He really didn’t play much then. It’s those early games I’m focused on. Go rewatch them. He was solid. Nothing special, but held his own.
He replaced Wolf as the backup center.

He replaced Wolf as the backup center.
Correct - and after not even playing most of the season. I actually thought his position was pretty good on both ends. He couldn’t handle the ally oop passes. Needs to be stronger with the ball after rebounding. But he’s not awful. I actually don’t know that he scored a garbage time basket all season. Pretty much all his points were clean up in the paint but that’s fine:

GGs freshman year was a massive disappointment. No reason to expect Lathan to be that level of disappointment.

What I like about Lathan is that he only became a center because he got too big to play guard. He can shoot and handle the ball.

Well, it actually was but its understandable that you can't comprehend basic basketball.

Did you also think every returning player would regress or play worse than the year before?? I certainly didn't, but common sense would say it's an aberration.

And factor in you and others going gaga over Mag, but I guess I was wrong about that too

Or was it that JWill was the most complete guard since Geo Baker/Jacob Young??

Or was it the Mulcahy wouldn't be missed and wasnt welcomed back....and went on to average 6PPG at Washington??

Or was it that Baye Ndongo would have started over Mag at the 4?? I think he's sticking in the NBA draft, but hey, I was wrong about him being a key piece to the puzzle....LMAO

Let's just also say that I always bet on talent and tape. You on the other hand KNOW, I'm adding legitimate information, topics, hints about facts that's usually (not always) right.

Last year was about building depth and finding out what players were capable of making the jump to earn minutes on this year's team....we needed to find out about how good Mag was (or never actually was), Simpson, JMike, Wolf etc....if any of them showed they were good enough, it would have shown last year. We found out they weren't and ALL were replaced.

Let me know if you need more information, I'm here to help!! 😁😁

Yikes. @superfan01 just got stuffed in a locker. Brutal.

GGs freshman year was a massive disappointment. No reason to expect Lathan to be that level of disappointment.

What I like about Lathan is that he only became a center because he got too big to play guard. He can shoot and handle the ball.

Just to clarify - I’m not predicting that Lathan won’t be good. I’m just saying that the floor (worst case scenario outside of unforeseen injuries) would be what we’ve already seen which is Ogbole. And I wasnt trying to say I think he’s great, just that I don’t think it would be the disaster some are describing if he had to play 20+ min.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT