ADVERTISEMENT

Jamie Vinson Visiting

Ogbole played in only 10 games last year and averaged 8 min per game. I’m not sure how to judge his performance because the sample size is so small.

Reactions: Degaz-RU
Ogbole played in only 10 games last year and averaged 8 min per game. I’m not sure how to judge his performance because the sample size is so small.
It wasnt a lot but it was enough. Which 10 games it was and the context of his playing time matters.

It wasnt a lot but it was enough. Which 10 games it was and the context of his playing time matters.
The overreaction to Ogbole is your typical fan snap judgement. This is a guy who was out all summer recovering from an ACL. So, he could not practice full go. Could not get on court practice time learning the defensive sets and rotations. It was 8 minutes a game of a guy who was playing without having time to get 100% ready. 8 minutes a game of a guy probably playing nervous, anxious, tentative because he was not ready.

He can be judged after having a full off season of development and practice.

Last edited:
I was in the lobby of the Hyatt in April, as Pike was hosting a HS recruit and family. I saw Pike introduce Ogbole as our starting center and talk him up to the kid, saying don’t you wanna play with a big guy like this under the hoop etc etc.

I know a lot can change. I know Pike would have gladly taken a big time transfer in an instant, BUT…the way he introduced Ogbole made me feel at that moment Pike truly believes in him and plans for him to start.
Look, I am rooting for the guy and hoping for the best but 1 thing I've learned take everything coming out of Pike's pre-season mouth with a grain of salt. A big grain.

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
Not completely…

He did until he got in the dog house with that stupid flagrant. Also - we were pretty much riding out the season when Wolf suddenly started playing again. My uninformed guess is at that point the “talk” may have already happened and Pike was giving Wolf an opportunity to showcase his skills a bit to help him find a new home.

Ogbole proved he can play defense without getting schooled in his first 4 games. Is he a world beater defender - not close, but he’s a major upgrade on that end over Wolf. Even if he fouls too much in protecting the rim, a lot of bigs aren’t great foul shooters.

Most of the points Ogbole scored were on lopsided losses but that’s irrelevant. Just demonstrated that if wide open and not the focus he can finish underneath and that might be good enough next year on offense.

Don’t get me wrong - I hope Lathan comes in and is a stud. If I was a betting person, I think he’ll be better than GG. The WVU kid I always compare Caleb’s D too - Jevon Carter - that team had a big kid on it who was productive for them as a frosh. Devin William. I see that as Lathan’s ceiling for a frosh debut - but not out of the realm. The floor of course is he’s like GG and not a good enough defender to play much without hurting us.

Interesting stat observation,

In B1G play,
Cliff 540 min, 48 Off reb
JMike 453 min, 24 Off reb
Hyatt 496 min, 19 Off reb
Simpson 536 min, 19 Off reb
Woolf 166 min, 18 Off reb
JWill 296 min, 15 Off reb
Mag 358 min, 15 Off reb
GG 309 min 11 Off reb
Ogbole 75 min, 13 Off reb

The team rebounded well on the defensive end when he was in the game too. While his personal stats don’t “prove” he’s a good defensive rebounder the reverse also isn’t true - nothing he showed gives reason to be worried about his defensive rebounding.

I am not worried about Ogbole's rebounding or even his ability to just be huge down low defensively.

His ability to provide anything other than getting in the way offensively is what is worrisome.

I am not worried about Ogbole's rebounding or even his ability to just be huge down low defensively.

His ability to provide anything other than getting in the way offensively is what is worrisome.

He didn’t get in the way of anything. The offense stunk before he was even there. Thats fallacy. He actually moves pretty well without the ball in terms of getting open and grabbing offensive boards.

Unfortunately, outside of the back door cuts right under the basket he didn’t show an ability to do any of the flashy things when he got opened - he fumbled a bunch of ally oops for example. But it’s not “getting in the way” for it to just be understood that is not his thing. He’s a BIG. He doesn’t need to shoot from the outside. MJ and Cliff can’t do that either. Okay - he wasn’t strong with the ball on the offensive rebounds and committed a bunch of turnovers, but he grabbed more offensive rebounds per minute than anyone else so arguably if someone else was playing it would’ve been a defensive rebound instead of an offensive board and a turnover. Again - that’s not getting in the way. He can’t be left wide open cutting under then basket. He made those shots. That’s all we need for him not to be a liability. Not being a liability doesn’t make you a good offensive player.

Reactions: Scarlet83
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT