ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting Jasire Peterson decommits from Rutgers

I don’t think he leaves if we don’t get 11 other OL commits. Not the end of the world, kid could come back once he sees what’s around

Reactions: Rokodesh
When you flood a position with new recruits this can happen

Some guys sign-on with idea they have chance to play on a team of need, and then like the Village People song its starts raining OL.

Fear of competition. #RespectMyComment

I wouldn't classify it as fear. More like with the transfers allowing most of the strong incoming freshman class to red shirt, even with a normal progression at Rutgers it will likely be longer before seeing the field than at some alternatives.

Reactions: Rokodesh and beaced
Not a surprise and who knows he may change his mind. What is different now is high school kids see older players with experience from other D1 programs taking their spots. There will be others who leave and just as many from the portal who want to take a spot. It is wise for him to be sure he’s 17 years old. Jasire we hardly knew ye.

Okay, two questions:
1. Were you going for a Kyle pun there?
2. Wasn't that a Weather Girls song originally, not the Village People?
That's the "raining men" song the Village Peeps did the "Raining OL" song

OL there's no need to feel down -
OL down pick yourself off the ground!
I said OL there's some new OL in town
The skies are gonna open - fatties will rain down

It's raining OL Hallelujah!
It's raining OL! Amen!
It's raining OL Hallelujah!
It's raining OL Amen!

Reactions: RUPete
Guys, competition is not it… if he has desires to play on Sunday this is part of it. All good schools are at LEAST 2 starters at every line position. That should be of no surprise to him if he’s confident. He’s just shopping around. He may come back…

Product of the portal. Hard enough to commit somewhere with regular recruiting.
You will need an extra bus to just handle the linemen we seem to have.

Rutgers fanbase is full of complete amateurs. When a recruit decommits, it's because he's afraid of competition?? Dude has interest from Penn State, and nearly every recruit looks at that program as a better landing spot than Rutgers. It's almost hilarious how insular and in how much in denial this fanbase is. GS hasn't accomplished anything meaningful so far and yet we already have commits leaving because there's too much competition at Rutgers? 🤦🏽‍♂️

I respect his honesty in saying he just committed to early and hasn’t had a chance to see what else is out there. But don’t these kids know that they’re not allowed to go to Penn State? Anywhere but Penn State or Michigan.

Rutgers fanbase is full of complete amateurs. When a recruit decommits, it's because he's afraid of competition?? Dude has interest from Penn State, and nearly every recruit looks at that program as a better landing spot than Rutgers. It's almost hilarious how insular and in how much in denial this fanbase is. GS hasn't accomplished anything meaningful so far and yet we already have commits leaving because there's too much competition at Rutgers? 🤦🏽‍♂️
Is the fanbase based upon the comments of one or two people?

You could learn a lot from Penn State about decoms:

"He was never offered"
"He didn't qualify"
"He was a fallback choice"
"He wasn't that good anyway"

Reactions: RedTeam1994
While your first line has merit...

This kid is a stud high 3 star OL...he has already had a lot of interest from a lot of major schools, even when he committed. If a kid knows he is a P5 starter and an NFL player, he will pick the school of his choice.
I just think it was way too early for him to commit and believe he did so as he felt he only had to compete with our freshman class.
The transfers had an impact on this decision. As did, other schools coming in with potential NIL deals but he has to visit them to be in on them.

Reactions: Kbee3
He's probably getting more love from other programs than he was receiving and now wants to see what other programs offer.
Do I like irt, no, but it's the name of the recruiting game.
Just like if a player decommits than wants to commit again after checking out programs he felt wanted him and didn't get the love he expected , that recruit might be out of luck because his position was filled and the schollies left are for other positions the program needs depth

Jasire might no room at the in if he wants to recommit or Schiano imght still be looking for OL players and glad to have him
He also might find another program he lokes better and never give RU a second thought

Any way we look at it, recruiting HS kids nowadays isn't a honor your commitment for the recruits and it never really was..

He's probably getting more love from other programs than he was receiving and now wants to see what other programs offer.
Do I like irt, no, but it's the name of the recruiting game.
Just like if a player decommits than wants to commit again after checking out programs he felt wanted him and didn't get the love he expected , that recruit might be out of luck because his position was filled and the schollies left are for other positions the program needs depth

Jasire might no room at the in if he wants to recommit or Schiano imght still be looking for OL players and glad to have him
He also might find another program he lokes better and never give RU a second thought

Any way we look at it, recruiting HS kids nowadays isn't a honor your commitment for the recruits and it never really was..
He may be a kid that there is room at the inn for. Looks to be a player even if a few guys want to knock him now that he decommitted.

I think when a position takes on a large number of recruits/transfers there are probably teams that like to call some guys and play with their heads while vulnerable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chefmaurod
1) I hope Jasire Peterson comes back

2) He was our first 2023 signee, only OL, and really, really wanted to be here

3) This is why I just don’t like the threads talking about scholarship fears and attrition. Recruits and their families read fan sentiment. But more importantly, opposing coaches use it

4) Hopefully when he sees things shake out, and they will, he’ll realize he has a fantastic
opportunity here

We don't need quitters bringing down the program. Glad he quit now and didn't waste a scholarship on him.

This sentiment doesn’t help. We have 30 OL on roster and opposing coaches are manipulating the hell out of him.

This guy has been fully committed to RU for a year, and had courage to commit to us wayyyy early. He also clearly says he still loves Rutgers and is exploring.

This is likely more a case of dozens of coaches getting in his head, ie:

“We want you to start as a freshman! Look at Rutgers thinks of you.”

When as our only 2023 OL, he’d be in perfect position to develop here under awesome mentors.

He’s not a coward, he’s an 18 year old kid. If he quit on us next December, right before signing day, that’d be different

Reactions: redking and mdk01
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT