ADVERTISEMENT

Jerry Palm- RU First 4 out

this man needs to be dragged on twitter by all of us. He hasnt responded when i blew his argument about Oklahoma State in 2018...he has yet to find an example like RU. Its a totally never before seen resume and he cannot handle it

How is a Big 12 team Texas Tech in ahead of RU??? They only have 1 win against a ranked opponent and have lost 3 of their last 4. They will lose against Kansas this weekend to end the season with 18 wins and a 9-9 record in the top heavy but shallow Big 12.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
he's acting autistic. I'm sorry if that offends anyone.
It’s a poor choice of words, because someone on the autistic spectrum working with all of this data would do a better job of recognizing the patterns of the Quad wins and losses and not show anywhere near the inconsistency Palm exhibits in his reasoning.

By his logic, next year we should schedule 3 road games against teams in the lower half of quad 4. Beating those teams in their gym by 2 points is better in his eyes than losing at PSU, Illinois, Maryland, etc by single digits. Ass hat indeed.

Am I right in thinking he's alone on keeping us out at this point? Can't tell if it's click bait or he's just stupid. Maybe the link posted above by @Sideline20 answers my question.

Reactions: Scangg
Consider the source....Jerry Palm is the 85th most accurate bracketologist......see link

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/rankings.html

@bactotherac - you should be ranked in there - Brad Wachtel has a ranking of #4 - very impressive.

yeah apparently anyone can apply so it might be time over the summer to jump in. Not to toot my own horn but I got the field perfect last year and Jerry and Joe didnt.

Am I right in thinking he's alone on keeping us out at this point? Can't tell if it's click bait or he's just stupid. Maybe the link posted above by @Sideline20 answers my question.

he is basically alone...some have RU in first 4..remember many take their cues from him and Joe as they are the two most prominent bracketolgists.

Reactions: fatsam98
Don’t pay him attention. He’s an f’ing troll. He had USC on the 7 line about three weeks ago when they weren’t even a bubble team yet

Bac you have to absolutely join then. You can make a name for yourself with this stuff and you already put in the time and effort.

yeah i never actually look too much at Bracketmatrix because I really spend alot of time doing my stuff on my own without looking at anyone elses. When I am done I will compare with Joe/Jerry/De Courcy simply because they are the most visible

Reactions: Zak57
You have to remember Big 10 is winning TOO MANY Home Games, a BAD metric in the old RPI the thing he has staked his career on.

Home record
ACC 171-71 70.6%
Big 12 108-38 74%(Kansas St 8-7, OSU 9-6)
Big East 120-40 75%(G'town 10-7)
Pac 12 146-41 78.1%(Washington 10-7)
SEC 169-57% 74.8%(Vandy 9-10)

Big 10(w/out NW,Neb) 159-33 82.8%
w/(9-22) 168-55 75.3%

RPI(25% your win%/50% oppo win%/25% oppo-oppo win %) gives more credit winning a road game (1.4) against a 12-17 UNC, you lose road game (0.6) or winning a home games (0.6) against 23-7 Md, you lose home game (1.4). You win a road game vs an opponent with a lot of road wins, double credit. RPI's Q1 = 1-50, Q2 = 51-100, Q3 = 101-200, Q4 = 200+. It's dumb metric, our top 2 in RPI is Md. 13 and MSU is 25.

That's why RPI is gone and Palm is the new relic.

Last edited:
That’s actually a pretty bad statement some individuals with Autism have brilliant minds when it comes to analytics, math, memory etc.
Youre right. I was moreso think of their tendency to get obsessed with one thing which it seems he has with the road wins

Reactions: S_Janowski
Since he is on historical diatribe ...Please ask him to name another team that has been left out of the tournament that checks all of these boxes

-.500 in a power conference
-seven wins again the projected field
-16 games against the projected field
-almost every loss against the projected field was single digits

Two more bullets to that analysis. What other team:

- had 17 wins, or greater than a 94% winning percentage, at Home

- beat 2 Top 10 teams by double digits

Bac, I sure hope you join. maybe by chance you can still get in this season. You could become famous and get on many of the networks.

Reactions: bac2therac
Does Jerry Palm get paid for this work? It’s bush league analysis in that he confuses correlation with causation.

His statement that “It is the most reliable indicator for at-large selection in all that time” has as strong of a causation link as if he were to say “the team must have at least 1 Senior” or “the team must have at least 1 Assistant Coach”

Reactions: Terry_2426
3 wins at minimum makes perfect sense............for teams with more than 1 loss at home. Going 18-1 is a huge accomplishment. Follow that with beating 4 top 25 teams by plus 10 each game. Enough said!

I mean, it's fine. There's likely going to be somebody on the committee who feels the same way as Palm. However one person's voice doesn't run the show. Everyone else should have us in.

Reactions: BillyC80
Palm's take is that basically eliminates RU right off the bat...meaning any school they are group together and compared with, RU will always be voted down. He is using the road mark as a non starter. Without specific criteria that says you need x amount of road wins, he is analyzing the resume based on history alone rather than introducing variables of why this could be different. He is simply going with historical percentages, until he is burned like he got burned with 14 loss teams and then again when 15 loss teams got bids

Reactions: RUonBrain
The notion that the raw number of wins away from home is so important is interesting. We had only two opportunities to win away from home against teams out of the current top 25, both very early in the season. SHU, for example, had 10 opportunities to pick up road wins against teams out of the top 25, blowing 4 of them.

Last edited:
The thing I don’t understand is if it’s so hard to win on the road (it is ) then shouldn’t the opposite apply true as well ? I’d it’s hard to win on the road , shouldn’t it be easier to win at home , and shouldn’t teams gets penalized for losing at home , specifically to bad teams ? For instance , Cincy is above us in palm , but lost to ucf and Colgate at home . Richmond lost to Radford and St. Louis st home . If it’s so hard to win on the road , then y are lesser teams beating teams above us on their home court ? Why has Rutgers not suffered to defeat tj lesser teams at home and beaten 7 tourney teams at home ?

Jerry Palm uses his own model, and if you work with models, you understand that there’s no such thing as a perfect model, and that model configuration is VERY subjective. The degree of weight for each variable in the model is a judgement call.

There is always a degree of error. My guess is, Rutgers Basketballs situation is a blind spot for Palms model, and he’s not about to reconfigure his model, in the heat of March madness, just to accommodate Rutgers Situation, which is unique.

the 3 win stipulation is a requirement in most instances, but because Rutgers has extenuating circumstances, this probably doesn’t apply in our case.

he’s not going to admit that his model has a deficiency. Let this go. Don’t take his model so seriously, and enjoy the ride. That Jerry Palm doesn’t have us in the tournament isn’t a big deal.
Hopefully, hell improve his model in the offseason to cover situations like ours.

To summarize...

Palm does not possess critical thinking skills and thus is ranked very low in his accuracy predicting brackets yet is considering a professional and is getting paid for his analysis.

Bac uses a variety of data points and critical thinking skills and got zero incorrect on his bracket last year and is not a professional and does not get paid.

Bac, start submitting your brackets. Take your posts and put them on a website or blog. Post it on twitter. Gain followers and get paid. You deserve it more than this clown

Last edited:
Speaking of the "committee", who sits on it? Is it public knowledge? 100% transparency like the AP and Coaches polls? Or is it some secret society of NCAA suits, and nobody knows who they are? Just curious.

The histocial road win analysis is flawed; as it implies that there are numerous teams which have been excluded from the tournament due to a failure to secure enough road wins. The practical reality is most likely that teams which do not win at least 3 road/neutral games in turn do not win enough home games to be considered for the tournamnet. It took a historic home win total from Rutgers to be in the conversation. I doubt that many teams over the years have accomplished a similar feat.
Exactly. To compare apples to apples, how many teams with 18-1 home records and 1-12 away/neutral (should we lose 2 more) records have there bin, especially those with 7 wins against likely tourney teams, and featuring a NET of ~35 and not a single bad loss? None probably. My guess is that anyone who dives into our resume and sees us beating 7 teams in the field and losing only to top 35 NET teams on the road, with all but one of those in single digits, with most being down to the wire, will know we belong. But guys like this have to worry us at least a little, since others might share his view.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT