ADVERTISEMENT

What we learned from the first game

kapyoche

All American
Sep 11, 2010
BC was a very good test. They are good. They have a legitimate NFL QB and a dynamic WR.

1) GS is an excellent coach contrary to what some may say here on this forum. He was in control throughout the game and the team reflected that in way they were in control in the 4th qtr.

2) Rutgers plays tough on the road and can eke out a win. Not sure why this is the case. Rutgers is more dangerous on the road than at home. They must become dangerous at home too.

3) Both lines are solid. We simply beat up BC at the lines in the 4th qtr. And that was the most impressive part of this game.

4) Running game is the strength of this offense and it will be the rest of the way. GS likes it this was so I don't expect too many 300 passing yards from any QB.

5) We have four QBs on this team. This is a good thing since it keeps the other team to prepare for the gamer and make quick adjustments during the game.

6) AC is a legitimate playmaker on this team.

7) QB play must get better if we are going to go far in Big 10.

8) We must complete a long passes occasionally. Not sure if we had any pass completed over 20 yards.

9) Pep Band should be at all the road games. They make a difference.

10) Rutgers is not going to be an easy game for opponents in the Big 10 this year.

#7 is THE takeaway for me. We need to get more out of the passing game. LT needs to improve a lot. He was getting killed in pass protection. Would have loved to see what Simon could do with a couple seconds of protection. Wimsatt is still pretty inaccurate. I'm really hoping we lose the play by play substitutions and let each guy get at least a full series with no interruptions and then ride the hot hand.

You can't say we have 4 QBs (we don't. JL should not take another snap ever) and also say we need the QB play to get better.

A good way to ensure nobody gets better is to split practice time and shuffle QBs in and out play by play.

Need to pick a QB before Iowa and start giving them full practice and game time to develop.

Reactions: RUShea
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT