ADVERTISEMENT

Jim Nantz sounded like he was going to cry

I didn’t hear it like that . But Barkley was gushing over Auburn and referring to them as “we” and “us”.

I didn't get that at all watching the game regarding Jim Nantz. And I thought Grant Hill was very neutral and very professional. I thought however, Rafferty, whom I really like was very biased in favor of Puke.

Reactions: Plum Street
the gushing from the announcers was really for Zion. I thought that the play by play was even handed. At the end, I think it was Nantz who pointed out that one and done really doesn't stand up to playing with the same guys for
a few years.

Who cares? If any of you were in their position you wouldn’t be noticeably rooting for RU?

So many announcers get way too excited over every little play. Used to be just Gus Johnson and one or two others. Now they all act like a routine basket midway through the first half is the game-winning shot to get to the Final Four. Just tired of all of it.

A consequence is that teams that do better get more over-the-top commentary. Not to mention the fact that TV has been telling us Duke was going to win it all this season since before Thanksgiving, although that was more ESPN.

And I have no problem with studio guys having a little fun. Anybody here bitch when Valvano bet Cosby about Rutgers or Temple getting an at-large back in 1991?

Reactions: MADHAT1
I have no issues with Barkley and Kenny Smith being all in on their former schools while in the studio as opposed to calling the game. I'm sure Kellogg might have been the same if it were OSU but perhaps not because he's just more lowkey by nature.

Reactions: RUER and MADHAT1
I think I would rather hear Gerry RAFFERTY do the announcing than someone from Seton Hall---

I didn't get that at all watching the game regarding Jim Nantz. And I thought Grant Hill was very neutral and very professional. I thought however, Rafferty, whom I really like was very biased in favor of Puke.
Nantz is a big establishment guy.

Reactions: RU MAN
First of all, for guys like Kenny and Barkley who played in college and NBA - I love that they are rooting for their schools.

As for Nantz, it could be worse you could have Dickie V rooting for and gushing over Duke. Count your blessings.

Raftery is good just don’t understand why the hating on him. He’s a classic and never get tired of his tongue in cheek calls: “the kiss”. Love RAF.

Really like Charles Barkley. He says some outrageous and unsupportable stuff now and then, but he is Old School. Gives good insights. Seeing him enjoy Auburn's first-ever run to the Final Four is fun, and he doesn't mind being the buffoon in those commercials with Samuel L Jackson and Spike Lee. They have been doing it for years, and it never gets old. A lesser person wouldn't want to be the butt of those commercials, but Barkley is fine with it. Bet they pay well. But Good Luck getting Shaq, Kenny, or any other commentator you could name doing them and being so good at them.

Never thought Raff, who wasn't great shakes as a coach, added much to a telecast. Kiss; nickel-dimer; play on. That's about his whole range.
TL

Reactions: hoquat63
Love Raf. He’s the best since Al McGuire and has tons of knowledge about the game inside the game and adds so much color and warmth to the broadcast. He’s beloved by all inside the game and I love his anecdotes. A real gem and a Jersey gym rat who knows his way around a bar. No one comes close to him these days.

First of all, for guys like Kenny and Barkley who played in college and NBA - I love that they are rooting for their schools.

As for Nantz, it could be worse you could have Dickie V rooting for and gushing over Duke. Count your blessings.

Raftery is good just don’t understand why the hating on him. He’s a classic and never get tired of his tongue in cheek calls: “the kiss”. Love RAF.

Amen - Raf is the Best!

Raftery is king. Worst and most unintelligle color guy out there
FIFY

Giggidy goo giggidy goo giddidy onions. He's like a drunk grandpa at a family reunion trying to be cool. He's years past his expiration date and is a caricature. I would prefer Carrot Top.

They're entertainers, relax. Most people understand this. It's not Face the Nation.

As far as I’m concerned Face the Nation often presents us with a bunch of entertainers (and comedians too) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I'm another big fan of Raftery. "SEND IT IN, JEROME!" Sure, he's getting a little older but I still enjoy his work.

Billy Packer is one guy that always got on my nerves, coming across as arrogant. I'm sure many posters will disagree with me on that one.

Seth Davis interviews Bill on the origin of many of his catch phrases.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT