ADVERTISEMENT

Jogging in NB

Jonny S

Senior
Feb 4, 2004
Took advance of the sort of milder weather today to go for a jog in NB for the first time in a while. A few thoughts:

Shaka Burrito is still not open. When is this coming?There's finally something in the old SaladWorks spot on 27. cookie place by Hansel now. That and Hidden Grounds (new coffee shop) were really good ideas, as opposed to all the stupid frozen yogurt. Haven't been by the other Easton Ave Apt places like Chipps or 25 Burgers since the weather got bad.Besides Cups being temporarily closed, Let's Yo! on George Street (which actually had a decent location) is no more, possibly ending the great frozen yogurt boom of 2013? Truly Yogurt is still standing, as it should be. Red Mango I guess generates its own demand, despite its lack of foot traffic. Not sure how the Easton Ave place stays afloat.Burger Fi (former Qdoba) looks like it's very close to opening, not sure what the holdup is.The Counter (next to WoB) - anyone know why this keeps dragging on? Website said January, then March, now April.World of Beer though, been there a few times at night and it does very well. Shocked today to see how much traffic they had for a late Saturday lunch.There's also a "Caffe Bene" (Google says coffee and ice cream place) opening on George where Amber Lion Antiques used to be.Still haven't had a chance to try the new Indian and Chinese places on George.Didn't look like anyone was at Maxiyumm Creperie, but surprisingly to me they are still in business.

Hoping the weather can get better soon so I can get a better recent look at Easton, as well was other downtown-ish things like George past Livingston, or Papa Grande on Louis.

Nice update.

-Shaka Burrito has been under construction FOREVER. Not sure what's going on either.
-The diner closed? That's a real shame - always thought that and a supermarket would thrive in that area.
-The Fresh Grocer is a real disappointment to me. I don't get it or understand how they blew that one.
-The new cookie place is a delivery place/made to order place for fresh/hot cookies I think. Interesting concept, but not sure it will last.

Originally posted by Saint Puppy:
Nice update.

-Shaka Burrito has been under construction FOREVER. Not sure what's going on either.
-The diner closed? That's a real shame - always thought that and a supermarket would thrive in that area.
-The Fresh Grocer is a real disappointment to me. I don't get it or understand how they blew that one.
-The new cookie place is a delivery place/made to order place for fresh/hot cookies I think. Interesting concept, but not sure it will last.
- i found the food at the NB Diner to be uneven in quality; Hansel & Griddle was definitely better;
- I asked one of the owners when Burgerfi was opening and he said in 2 weeks. from what i've seen of the goings on inside, they're training the employees.
- Visited the Shaka Burrito location on e. 23rd in midtown a few weeks ago: the decor was hawaiian cheesy (surfboards, fake palms, bamboo covered walls) and the place was smaller than i anticipated but what i ordered was good (a shrimp burrito) if
they can maintain great quality and cleanliness they should be fine.
- Now that the word is out of FG's financial troubles; the sooner they close the better so that the city can look for a better tenant
with a better business plan. Selling prepared meals no better than what you can find at any RU dining hall was not the way to grow a customer base. (and Shoprite carries the stigma of cheap (in quality) to some of the upwardly mobile)
a customer base in a city known for its restaurants
- i predict Burgerfi will kill; they also serve beer!!!
- 25 Burgers is mediocre; their food isn't distinctive enough
- white rose is good for their late nite grub (for the drinking crowd), breakfast and speed-of-service but otherwise nothing special.

The people The diner hired as staff quickly sank the place.
Not surprised lets yo went down. That chain has been floundering statewide. Almost all the yo spots will be dead by the time this winter ends
25 burgers is tasty, but not enough to warrant going there. Not necessarily the nb locale, all of them in general.
Chipp is the worst branding I've seen in a long time
The panini place was a dated concept from the start... About 5 years behind the paninni craze.

With the exception of beer, burger fi is another burger place. Sadly, burger places are the froyo of 2014. Sorry to be negative on this thread, but I just don't understand the lack of creativity in franchisees of restaurants. People saw the success of pinkberry and thought their yogurt place next to a suburban pathmark would kill it. People see shake shack and 5 guys and decide to blow their retirement on a concept that is saturated.

I don't get it. The creativity locally is just gone. Locally in Monmouth county, it's the same song and dance with very few places operating on originality, creativity & a talented chef. Porta and Via 45 are than exception around here...

Anyway, sorry to hijack this thread, whilemimlove seeing new non major national chains opening up in nb, i just wish ere was some thought put into it

Agreed on the "premium burger" concepts, bob-loblaw. It's outdated at this point and as a business owner if you are just getting involved now with 'fro-yo' or 'Five Guys" style restaurants, you are wasting your money. Over-saturated market for a while. There's only so many occasions when I want yogurt or burgers...

I tried Papa Grande on Louis Street the other day to support the RU fan that owns it. Was OKAY, ordered the conewich. Sandwich and fries were both soggy. Hopefully with some time they will improve as Hansel on Easton is still a far better option and bang for your buck.

Haven't had a chance to visit World of Beer as every time I drive home from my commute during the week, the place looks packed. Have heard mixed things but still intrigued.

Burger Fi should be interesting with the ability to serve alcohol, wonder how much business it takes away from Old Man Rafferty's and Harvest Moon.

The gourmet cookie place sounds like a waste of time IMO.

This post was edited on 3/9 12:02 PM by RUKeystone

It depends on the place. I think Shake Shack is overrated and hate Five Guys, but there are good versions of it - Bobby's Burger Palace is awesome. George St. is not a good place for it though with Tumulty's and Harvest Moon right there. I'll definitely try both though.

Wish one of these would open up in the old Charlie Brown's place in HP near me, or screw it, Charlie Brown's should just come back at this point like they did in East Windsor.

Also, I actually like 25 Burgers. Not love it, but it's pretty good.

I don't think that a burger joint would be a good fit in HP, at least not on raritan ave. Nothing much will change on raritan ave until the area between 1st and 2nd is developed.

25 burgers is pretty good. I got wings from Wings Over Rutgers and they were really good. That place just opened and should do well.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I found myself disappointed with bobbys burger palace all three times I've been. I liked some of the flavours they put together but at the end onthe day it was just an expensive burger/fries/soda. If I want an expensive burger, I'm gonna go all in and drop $18 on the stage left burger.

Burger fi having beer is a big asset for them, but it's still another burger joint. An angus burger is about as exciting as an Italian rest in nj with homemade mozzarella. Sadly, like the negligible difference bet purchased fresh mozz and the homemade that a line cook who burns his hands rolling curd through salt water to create cheese, the taste benefits of an angus steer is no different. It's essentially a marketing gimmic.

It's almost as bad as a place I saw with a filet mignon burger... Which in essence is the most overpriced bone dry flavorless burger. Hey burger entrepenaurs... Want to do something exciting? Instead of wasting money on angus beef, make a short rib/chuck burger or a brisket/chuck burger. Much more flavor and not a bad price difference compared to what your paying for angus.

Once again, another sem-OT rant. Sorry. In all honesty, I really am excited to see new and non(national) chains opening up in nb.

Originally posted by scarlet night:
25 burgers is pretty good. I got wings from Wings Over Rutgers and they were really good. That place just opened and should do well.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
Wings Over Rutgers seems interesting--so many new spots it's hard to keep track of them all. Will have to try it later this week.

Originally posted by RUKeystone:
I tried Papa Grande on Louis Street the other day to support the RU fan that owns it. Was OKAY, ordered the conewich. Sandwich and fries were both soggy. Hopefully with some time they will improve as Hansel on Easton is still a far better option and bang for your buck.
Goes to Mexican place..........orders sandwich and fries...........k.

Originally posted by JayRU09:

Well what kind of sandwich was it? There are numerous kinds of Mexican origin...

Originally posted by lawmatt78:

Originally posted by JayRU09:

Well what kind of sandwich was it? There are numerous kinds of Mexican origin...
Lol hating on my menu choices? It was a Chipotle Chicken Conewich. I guess you could say it's a wrap with a Spanish twist.

Went to BurgerFi on opening day today. With the caveat that everyone has different taste in burgers (e.g. I strongly disagree with Bob) - this place was indistinguishable to me from a Shake Shack. SS is wildly popular, and I think way mediocre.

BurgerFi burgers are quite tiny, and they are very similar to SS or Five Guys, not my cup of tea at all. The place looks good, but is very tiny, so I am very skeptical of its appeal as a bar. Demographics just seem like a weird fit, I don't think this will work at all.

I also went to Burgerfi and here's my takeaway: prices are = to 5Guys but with a more varied menu. Burgers are small but you get 2 of them,, space is too small ( tables should be reset to maximize space), music too loud. I thought the burgers were good and juicy; better than any burger I've had in NB (w/o having to wait to be seated), desert (custard) was better than froyo (and most likely more calories) fries were on pat with 5Guys. I think that folks in NB who want a freshly made burger in the style of the guys, shack, etc and don't want to drive to get it will be happy. And you can't discount 'the natural, no hormones, antibiotics, free-range' which will only help their business.

Didn't go in, but saw a big crowd in BurgerFi yesterday. I agree with some of the general opinions in this thread - obviously I hope it does well, but to me a burger is a burger (with some exceptions), so I don't really have much of a reason to go in and check it out. We'll see what happens.There is a new lit sign hanging above Shaka Burrito, but the place is still not open.Was in Fresh Grocer today and noticed that some items that were becoming depleted over the past few weeks were restocked. Never have I seen old merchandise, or dirty bathrooms (anymore then any other public restroom), but there were just as many people shopping there as always. I was told by an employee that they still haven't been told anything by management, but that they were getting more trucks again and were actually waiting for one at the moment. He also said that hopefully this means that it seems like they will be staying open - I hope so as well.Anyone notice the new Crew billboard hanging next to the B1G billboard hanging above the Train Station on the side of the Gateway Building?

Originally posted by Jonny S:
Took advance of the sort of milder weather today to go for a jog in NB for the first time in a while. A few thoughts:

Shaka Burrito is still not open. When is this coming?There's finally something in the old SaladWorks spot on 27. cookie place by Hansel now. That and Hidden Grounds (new coffee shop) were really good ideas, as opposed to all the stupid frozen yogurt. Haven't been by the other Easton Ave Apt places like Chipps or 25 Burgers since the weather got bad.Besides Cups being temporarily closed, Let's Yo! on George Street (which actually had a decent location) is no more, possibly ending the great frozen yogurt boom of 2013? Truly Yogurt is still standing, as it should be. Red Mango I guess generates its own demand, despite its lack of foot traffic. Not sure how the Easton Ave place stays afloat.Burger Fi (former Qdoba) looks like it's very close to opening, not sure what the holdup is.The Counter (next to WoB) - anyone know why this keeps dragging on? Website said January, then March, now April.World of Beer though, been there a few times at night and it does very well. Shocked today to see how much traffic they had for a late Saturday lunch.There's also a "Caffe Bene" (Google says coffee and ice cream place) opening on George where Amber Lion Antiques used to be.Still haven't had a chance to try the new Indian and Chinese places on George.Didn't look like anyone was at Maxiyumm Creperie, but surprisingly to me they are still in business.

Hoping the weather can get better soon so I can get a better recent look at Easton, as well was other downtown-ish things like George past Livingston, or Papa Grande on Louis.
I am not surprised Let's YO! closed. As glad as I was when Cups first opened on Easton (fruity yogurt (now truly yogurt) is/was truly terrible), the mad craze of fro-yo places was reaching absurd levels.

And I strongly agree with the previous poster about the new Hansel on easton. I lived in that building for 2 years right above the now hansel location (graduated in May, so just missed out on the hansel, although I am kind of glad because my apartment was literally right above it and the noise probably would have kept me up), but it is REALLY nice on the inside and their food is very good for the price. Still the go-to place for drunk loads of drunk people.

Another very good place is Sanctuary, one house over from scarlet pub. Kind of expensive coffee/ice cream/sandwich shop, but their food is so amazing. It's not really new, but highly recommended.

Truly Yogurt is good! I am not anti Hansel on Easton, I just wish the downtown one wasn't neglected.

So there are going to be 2 burger places downtown? The other one being 1/2 of the old soho next to World of Beer?

Add Burger King and that makes 3!

Add Burger King and that makes 3!
After eating @ Burgerfi, i would never consider Burger King a burger joint!
smile.r191677.gif

The Hansel downtown does a good breakfast and lunch business, but it is only open monday to friday.

has anyone even been to honeygrow in philly? I was there recently and I think it would do very well in New Brunswick. There is nothing like it.

Lol - I didn't know that was actually considered a food court. But an actual food court (like they have in malls) I think would thrive.

That would depend entirely on the vendors in supposed food court and its location, of course. But I would look upon a mall-style food court in NB the same way I look at The Manhattan Mall in NYC

Originally posted by Korbermeister:
That would depend entirely on the vendors in supposed food court and its location, of course. But I would look upon a mall-style food court in NB the same way I look at The Manhattan Mall in NYC
Wow - The food court in The Manhattan Mall I don't think exists anymore since they did renovations. But, that was most the out of place food court ever (even though I did eat there back in the day (it was Jersey in me - I couldn't resist.)

Originally posted by Saint Puppy:

Wow - The food court in The Manhattan Mall I don't think exists anymore since they did renovations. But, that was most the out of place food court ever (even though I did eat there back in the day (it was Jersey in me - I couldn't resist.)

let me clarify...
IMHO, a food court in NB would be redundant, sterile, and more a benefit for the building owner than the consumer, just like the Manhattan Mall.

I think Syndicated went out of business. Was on George today and the store was empty. Too bad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT