ADVERTISEMENT

John Havlicek Happy birthday 76 years young

I grew up a Celtics fan. Watched that game with my Dad on TV. Dad said that Hondo would bail us out.

Thank God for film.They never grow old there. He was just so tough and so smart and such a winner.

I met Johnny Most a few times when I lived up there in the late 70''s and early 80's. He was shot by by then but still stumbled mumbled and crumbled through his broadcasts ..As unique a character as there ever was .Right there with Cosell and Harry Caray.

Reactions: PiscatawayMike
Hondo was one of the most underrated players in NBA history. He just knew how to win and was the consumate team player.
As a kid growing up in New England, it was Bobby Orr in hockey, Yaz in baseball and Havlicek in basketball.

Heard on the radio recently that Gregg Popovich has 1 picture in his office and it's of Hondo.

Pi, There aren't any guys like them anymore. There are but they aren't in the league.
There was an article in Sports Illustrated when I was a kid where Frank Ramsey spoke of ways to draw fouls from your opponents. Really made me think creatively.
Will never forget Hondo flying down court pedal-to-the-metal in his lo-cut Chuck Taylors.
Don Nelson might be the best of all the Celtic lineage coaches.

Scarlet Swede is 100% spot on. I lived in Canton, MA from 68 to 73. I was lucky enough to be on the Red Sox in Little League in 1972. I drew #8, Yaz. I was the goalie on my PeeWee hockey team, Boston Bruins. Wore #30, Gerry Cheevers. Didn't play hoops.

Come on old folks. ..Represent!!@@@@@

I was in line at tOSU ticket office to buy some BB tickets when Havlicek came in to chat with some of his buddies. Was surprised at how boney and angular his face and body looked. I saw all those great games with John Havlicek, Jerry Lucas, Mel Nowell, Bobby Knight etc. playing together on the same team.

Late at night I could pick up WBZ and listen to Celtics games.I was a big fan of those great Celtic teams,from Hondo and Nelson the Jones boys and Russell, all the way to Dave Cowens

Hondo was one of the most underrated players in NBA history. He just knew how to win and was the consumate team player.
As a kid growing up in New England, it was Bobby Orr in hockey, Yaz in baseball and Havlicek in basketball.
Hondo was my favorite player growing up. An all around great player and an excellent defender.

How can you be named one of the 50 Greatest Players in National Basketball Association History and be underrated?

Teriffic player. I was a little young for Havlicek stole the ball but as a young Knick fan growing up he was part of some legendary battles between the Knicks and Celtics. I can recall him and Bradley running each other all over the court trying to get open for shots. There were just so many great match ups between those clubs during that era. And it started with Holzman against Heinsohn.

Reactions: Russ Wood
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT