ADVERTISEMENT

New NBA CBA - one and done still here for 7 years

NickRU714

Heisman Winner
Aug 18, 2009
NBA and NBPA agreed to a new CBA.
Despite rumors (hopes) that they would change the draft eligibility rule, that was not addressed.
High school players will still have to wait 1 year to declare.
That means 7 more years of elite HS players going to college for only 1 year then leaving.
See the Big Ten All-Freshman Team: 3 players have already declared for the draft and are expected to be 1st round picks.

Side note that is relevant to Rutgers now (how great is that the the NBA draft is vitality important to the program):
Number of Two-Way Contracts per NBA team was increased from 2 to 3.
This greatly benefits marginal NBA draft prospects in being able to spend majority of the season in the G-League but be on call for when the main roster needs them.
RHJ was on a Two-Way Contract this past season.
I would image that whenever Clif stays in the draft (this year or next year) he would likely be competing for a Two-Way contract after going undrafted.

Interesting wrinkle that makes sense and hopefully pushes the high end players to play more:

• In an attempt to curb load management and lost games among star players, the NBA is tying eligibility for postseason awards -- such as All-NBA teams and MVP -- to a mandatory 65 games played. The 65-game minimum does come with some conditions.

Interesting wrinkle that makes sense and hopefully pushes the high end players to play more:

• In an attempt to curb load management and lost games among star players, the NBA is tying eligibility for postseason awards -- such as All-NBA teams and MVP -- to a mandatory 65 games played. The 65-game minimum does come with some conditions.
This makes a lot of sense.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
NBA and NBPA agreed to a new CBA.
Despite rumors (hopes) that they would change the draft eligibility rule, that was not addressed.
High school players will still have to wait 1 year to declare.
That means 7 more years of elite HS players going to college for only 1 year then leaving.
See the Big Ten All-Freshman Team: 3 players have already declared for the draft and are expected to be 1st round picks.

Side note that is relevant to Rutgers now (how great is that the the NBA draft is vitality important to the program):
Number of Two-Way Contracts per NBA team was increased from 2 to 3.
This greatly benefits marginal NBA draft prospects in being able to spend majority of the season in the G-League but be on call for when the main roster needs them.
RHJ was on a Two-Way Contract this past season.
I would image that whenever Clif stays in the draft (this year or next year) he would likely be competing for a Two-Way contract after going undrafted.
Not changing the draft eligibility rule is going to result in 7 more years of bracket busting tournaments like the current one. I'm not sure that a little parity is necessarily a bad thing.

BS move not allowing just out of HS players to enter draft and force them to play college ball for a year , even if they don't want to go to college.
Let them enter at their own risk and those not drafted by NBA would qualify for the G-League draft.

BS move not allowing just out of HS players to enter draft and force them to play college ball for a year , even if they don't want to go to college.
Let them enter at their own risk and those not drafted by NBA would qualify for the G-League draft.
Now that the NBA has a legitimate minor league, it's time to let teams draft HS players. Most of the truly elite NBA players have played little or no college basketball. Who was the last great NBA player who played 4 years of college basketball?

Reactions: MADHAT1
Who was the last great NBA player who played 4 years of college basketball?
Depends on your definition of "great" that word gets tossed around these days with various meanings.
I'd go with Tim Duncan. I try to be picky on who I call great.

Am I the only one that thinks the current system works well and is getting better all the time with stuff like G-League Ignite and OTE?

Depends on your definition of "great" that word gets tossed around these days with various meanings.
I'd go with Tim Duncan. I try to be picky on who I call great.

Am I the only one that thinks the current system works well and is getting better all the time with stuff like G-League Ignite and OTE?
Duncan would be my choice, too. He was drafted in 1997. He might be the last one. The current system does work well. It doesn't really work for the blue bloods from the standpoint of championships, or for people filling out brackets.

• Love
Why would the NBA want to change the 1 and done environment?

I’m not saying it’s right, but doesn’t this get them a better “free preview”?

It's a battle.
NBA teams want it changed so they can get players earlier and develop them more (obviously teams feel development with an actual NBA team as your full time job is better than dealing with classes and everything else that comes along with college).

Elite HS prospects want it changed. The sooner they get into the league, the sooner they get to their 2nd NBA contract which is where the big money comes in.

Older NBA Players do not want it changed.
The sooner players come in the more they push out the older players from rosters who are hanging around on their last contracts.
Unfornatuely the HS players aren't part of the negotiations. And the NBA teams have higher priorities clearly than fight for the change.

It's a battle.
NBA teams want it changed so they can get players earlier and develop them more (obviously teams feel development with an actual NBA team as your full time job is better than dealing with classes and everything else that comes along with college).

Elite HS prospects want it changed. The sooner they get into the league, the sooner they get to their 2nd NBA contract which is where the big money comes in.

The sooner players come in the more they push out the older players from rosters who are hanging around on their last contracts.
Unfornatuely the HS players aren't part of the negotiations. And the NBA teams have higher priorities clearly than fight for the change.
Thank you

It's a battle.

The other part of the equation is college coaches at blueblood programs. The current age limit, combined with the transfer portal and the use of NIL by rich supporters of schools outside of the sphere of the elites has caused a few high profile retirements. Coach K was begging the NBA to raise the age limit before he retired. Of course, he wasn't part of the negotiations either.

Reactions: NickRU714
We’re up against Duke for Dylan Harper’s services. Better that than being up against the Knicks and Nets.

65 games is still only 80% of schedule.

65 games is still only 80% of schedule.
True, but those All-NBA team accolades are incredibly important for players. In order to qualify for a super max extension, you either have had to have been named to an All-NBA team, won the MVP or won defensive POY.

The NBA knows it has a problem with fans/tv partners in regards to star players sitting as often as they currently do. This is one way to help curb that but also not come out looking like they’re against player safety

Reactions: Scangg
Now that the NBA has a legitimate minor league, it's time to let teams draft HS players. Most of the truly elite NBA players have played little or no college basketball. Who was the last great NBA player who played 4 years of college basketball?
Off the top of my head, Damian Lillard is the top current NBA star who played four years in college.

As of today, every Rutgers fan should be in favor of the one and done rule.

This is something many seem to be missing.
Bailey and Harper likely don't even consider Rutgers without the one and done rule.

Its easy to say "who cares. Let them leave" when you were never an option for elite recruits. Now that we are in those conversations - those are our potential players off the table right from the start.

College fans will have to drastically reduce recruiting expectations. Most 5-star recruits are going to be drafted. Landing a Rivals "Top 50" player doesn't sound as good as getting multiple "Top 10" players.

Reactions: RU_DIO
True, but those All-NBA team accolades are incredibly important for players. In order to qualify for a super max extension, you either have had to have been named to an All-NBA team, won the MVP or won defensive POY.

The NBA knows it has a problem with fans/tv partners in regards to star players sitting as often as they currently do. This is one way to help curb that but also not come out looking like they’re against player safety
I agree its a step in the right direction but still missing a lot of games.

I agree its a step in the right direction but still missing a lot of games.
NBA plays way too many regular season and playoff games. Friend of mine played in the Euro League. They play 34 regular season games and up to 7 playoff games. Games are much more exciting when players don't sit out, play hard and every game counts.

NBA plays way too many regular season and playoff games. Friend of mine played in the Euro League. They play 34 regular season games and up to 7 playoff games. Games are much more exciting when players don't sit out, play hard and every game counts.
Owners are not going to give up the 82 game regular season revenue and can't increase the ticket price by an amount to offset reducing the number of games.

Owners are not going to give up the 82 game regular season revenue and can't increase the ticket price by an amount to offset reducing the number of games.
I agree with this, but...

The amount of games these guys play forces many players to not give their fullest effort all the time and take games off.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT