ADVERTISEMENT

Center or PF target?

Mississippi St. game gets my vote for a legit Center; next season we're going to go against somebody's 6'11 270 guy and we better have someone who can match that; Those guys had too much size in that game - and you cannot counteract that with a big PF. Don't get a star QB & WR and forget about the OL.

There is every reason to believe Griffiths is going to have a solid career and play a lot better, especially in years 3 and 4. He certainly showed signs of it early in this season and in the last few games. If I had a choice between GG in his 4th year or Martini in his 4th year, I'd take the risk and pick GG.

But for the balance of this past season, GG was an unmitigated disaster on both sides of the floor. I think the vast majority of fans on this board agree with me.

As you say, you're entitled to your opinion. But it seems odd that anyone would objectively say GG is a better option for the '24-25 Scarlet Knights than Martini.
He did not want to compete.

Good riddance.

I’m a big Cliff fan, but seeing a bunch of posts saying ‘oh man, Cliff next year would have been perfect’ is false. He was offensively challenged. Getting him the the ball on the block or in a pick and roll, unless it was a perfect pass it would be a turnover. Stone hands, the lack of awareness, and unwillingness to kick it back out, especially if double-teamed was the theme. We need a player who can get the ball inside and kick it back out if needed… to keep the O going to create a better shot.
Defensively, yes, he blocked a lot of shots and was an amazing help-side/transition defender, but he was pretty mediocre at defending his own man. He was eaten alive by Payne, that Iowa freshman, and I forget who else this year. The year before, he was schooled by the kid from Northwestern. So, I feel like he’s a net zero on defense and offense.

Also, his rebounding wasn’t that great. I know I sound very critical of Cliff; I really enjoyed watching him play, but I bet 90% of you cringed when a ball was thrown inside to him. Or as good of a dunker that he was, I have never seen anyone miss so many dunks lol

I prob sound like a Cliff hater. I’m not. I’m a fan.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: rubigtimenow
It’s not hard to say that for next year that ZM is probably better for the team than GG, but also you would prefer to have a little less next year in keeping GG for what he may be the following two years …

As PatrickRU92 says …don’t get hung up on positions …look at the roster and what do we still need ? Here is what I see

1.) center (duh) …Rim protector preferred. But, careful , because we really want a center who isn’t a rock and not moving off the post on offense and hurting a motion offense by not being able to move and slide well ..like for him to be able can set screens and roll , and when the roll , catch and shoot and also be able to pump and put it on floor . Lot to be asking and the skill set we get in a player won’t likely be complete …so a lot of what we should look for depends on how ready Latham is (whixh coaches know best)

2.) the last spot reallt depends on how reaady or not Dortch and grant are . Think we need someone who can guard those 2 and 3 guards like domask and Sanford who are bigger and capable of being a lot more physical and do the same in reverse while hitting the three. Someone built like a taller version of austin Williams . Now, If Dortch and /or grant are ready for 15 minutes…we have this ….

Tell me what the other frosh have, old crystal ball, and I’ll tell you how to complement the roster best. We just don’t know …hopefully the staff sure does

Reactions: Scangg
For the purpose of this discussion (to simplify) let’s please assume the center we would get comes in with a replica of CJ’s credentials:

6-10 -7 foot / 250-260ish (has the height and weight of traditional center)

Played 15.6 min for a midmajor prior season.

Averaged 5 pt / 5 rebounds (so productive in fairly limited action at a midmajor)

What’s your choice? That or a 6-7 stocky but tough nosed PF who lit up the stat board in scoring and rebounds as a major piece (also for a midmajor- let’s assume a comparable one).

Can’t have both (because we’re not getting a forward like that without having the guaranteed minutes - not realistic, so don’t say both…)

Who ya got? (Bearing in mind - the CJ might not want to compete with Ogbole - when we landed him - there was no competition. I’m sure that was a draw. So do note that too but let’s assume we do seal the deal).

Cliff would actually be perfect for next year. Mobile, athletic big man that can run the pick and roll with Dylan, be a defensive presence and rebound the ball. That's pretty much exactly what we need for next year
This. Perfect fit. Career year easily

I’m a big Cliff fan, but seeing a bunch of posts saying ‘oh man, Cliff next year would have been perfect’ is false. He was offensively challenged. Getting him the the ball on the block or in a pick and roll, unless it was a perfect pass it would be a turnover. Stone hands, the lack of awareness, and unwillingness to kick it back out, especially if double-teamed was the theme. We need a player who can get the ball inside and kick it back out if needed… to keep the O going to create a better shot.
Defensively, yes, he blocked a lot of shots and was an amazing help-side/transition defender, but he was pretty mediocre at defending his own man. He was eaten alive by Payne, that Iowa freshman, and I forget who else this year. The year before, he was schooled by the kid from Northwestern. So, I feel like he’s a net zero on defense and offense.

Also, his rebounding wasn’t that great. I know I sound very critical of Cliff; I really enjoyed watching him play, but I bet 90% of you cringed when a ball was thrown inside to him. Or as good of a dunker that he was, I have never seen anyone miss so many dunks lol

I prob sound like a Cliff hater. I’m not. I’m a fan.
The whole point is that with a roster full of offensive talent that we would need to give Cliff the ball in the post. He could dunk lobs and dump offs which he would get exponentially more of... protect the rim and rebound

It’s not hard to say that for next year that ZM is probably better for the team than GG, but also you would prefer to have a little less next year in keeping GG for what he may be the following two years …

As PatrickRU92 says …don’t get hung up on positions …look at the roster and what do we still need ? Here is what I see

1.) center (duh) …Rim protector preferred. But, careful , because we really want a center who isn’t a rock and not moving off the post on offense and hurting a motion offense by not being able to move and slide well ..like for him to be able can set screens and roll , and when the roll , catch and shoot and also be able to pump and put it on floor . Lot to be asking and the skill set we get in a player won’t likely be complete …so a lot of what we should look for depends on how ready Latham is (whixh coaches know best)

2.) the last spot reallt depends on how reaady or not Dortch and grant are . Think we need someone who can guard those 2 and 3 guards like domask and Sanford who are bigger and capable of being a lot more physical and do the same in reverse while hitting the three. Someone built like a taller version of austin Williams . Now, If Dortch and /or grant are ready for 15 minutes…we have this ….

Tell me what the other frosh have, old crystal ball, and I’ll tell you how to complement the roster best. We just don’t know …hopefully the staff sure does
Dortch and Grant are real wild cards with how they fit in with 3 other freshman who will play. It just feels like there will probably only be room for 1 to play some minutes next year unless the portal options fail

Reactions: sct1111 and RU_DIO
This. Perfect fit. Career year easily

The whole point is that with a roster full of offensive talent that we would need to give Cliff the ball in the post. He could dunk lobs and dump offs which he would get exponentially more of... protect the rim and rebound

Dortch and Grant are real wild cards with how they fit in with 3 other freshman who will play. It just feels like there will probably only be room for 1 to play some minutes next year unless the portal options fail
Agee with all three points. I think besides the center, I would add another shooter, don’t care if he is a guard, wing or forward.

I’m thinking Sommerville might be expected to be the pick and pop and pick and roll guy at five. Tough to find accurate stats but scouring some articles it is clear that Lathan can hit from three with decent volume. Plus he’s being being listed at 240 pounds so there’s no question he can handle big bodies in the paint. Maybe he winds up playing 20 mins per game at center and 5 mins per game at the four.

I know I’m repeating myself, but I don’t think he will get very many wide open shots like he did at Princeton. That’s the crux of my disdain for our guard play and team passing.

Did you miss the memo where Fernandez and Simpson are being replaced by Dylan Harper and Acuff? Still have JaMike and JWill. Not only will they score more, they will demand the attention that helps free up a Martini type.

Reactions: PaKnight
Cliff would actually be perfect for next year. Mobile, athletic big man that can run the pick and roll with Dylan, be a defensive presence and rebound the ball. That's pretty much exactly what we need for next year.
I believe he's available & still in the portal

Hear me out.. Freshman who played 20 minutes a game. Almost 7 rebounds a night. Athletic, plays around the rim. Guessing he plays D, since he avgd a steal. Doubt he's getting much NIl. 6th man at Wyoming, might be willing to come off the bench for high major

Missouri kid - probably couldn't point out New Jersey on a map. Maybe I'm desperate for us to get some interior help. But id reach out lol

Hear me out.. Freshman who played 20 minutes a game. Almost 7 rebounds a night. Athletic, plays around the rim. Guessing he plays D, since he avgd a steal. Doubt he's getting much NIl. 6th man at Wyoming, might be willing to come off the bench for high major

Missouri kid - probably couldn't point out New Jersey on a map. Maybe I'm desperate for us to get some interior help. But id reach out lol

Yeah - that’s in the CJ Gettys stratosphere from a bit better conference. My belief is this is the ceiling of what we can realistically expect to land in the traditional Big man market. To be fair though, we don’t know what Ogbole’s numbers would’ve looked like playing in the MWC conference behind a Big not close to at the level of Cliff. Remember - Ogbole didn’t play any cupcakes.

Yeah - that’s in the CJ Gettys stratosphere from a bit better conference. My belief is this is the ceiling of what we can realistically expect to land in the traditional Big man market. To be fair though, we don’t know what Ogbole’s numbers would’ve looked like playing in the MWC conference behind a Big not close to at the level of Cliff. Remember - Ogbole didn’t play any cupcakes.
He doesn't play the 5. Athletic 4, who crashes the glass, runs the floor, and finishes around the basket. 7pts, 7 rebounds, 1 steal a game - in 20 minutes of action - as a freshman off the bench. I'd call, offer a boost in NIl, which isn't likely to be much. He strengthens the 4 spot. I have concerns with just relying on Martini. And I thought the MWC conference, was some decent basketball this year

Last edited:
He doesn't play the 5. Athletic 4, who crashes the glass, runs the floor, and finishes around the basket. 7pts, 7 rebounds, 1 steal a game - in 20 minutes of action, as a freshman off the bench. I'd call, offer a boost in NIl, which isn't likely to be much. He strengthens the 4 spot. I have concerns with just relying on Martini

I thought the other 2 incoming frosh play
the 4? Seems like a crowded room to me if your thinking we would bring in a kid like this only for the 4 (not a hybrid role where we don’t also bring in a center). I’d think if we don’t end up bringing in a traditional 5 we’re going to aim higher in terms of prior production.

I thought the other 2 incoming frosh play
the 4? Seems like a crowded room to me if your thinking we would bring in a kid like this only for the 4 (not a hybrid role where we don’t also bring in a center). I’d think if we don’t end up bringing in a traditional 5 we’re going to aim higher in terms of prior production.
Dortch is extremely raw.. Grant is a mystery for next yr. Didn't appear to play last season, and he played the 5 as a junior. If the goal is focused on winning. Give me the productive kid, going into his Sophomore yr. The 2 freshman can out play him, or decide what's best for them. No time to develop guys anymore. Also With 2-3 schollys left. Whatever the plan is for the 5 - you can still make room, for an addition like this

No not necessarily. Chances are we’re nowhere near able to compete for the very best guys at 5 because there are so few of them and at some point, your better off aiming to be stronger everywhere else.
Disagree with your take and only because somehow ,someway other P5 teams always seem to find a way. The two bigs in the program have size … one has offensive potential the other is a project at best. We had better find one of those types or no matter how good Dylan, Ace and the rest are it will not matter .

Disagree with your take and only because somehow ,someway other P5 teams always seem to find a way. The two bigs in the program have size … one has offensive potential the other is a project at best. We had better find one of those types or no matter how good Dylan, Ace and the rest are it will not matter .
Sommerville presents an interesting potential solution should Rutgers fail to get a big time stretch five through the magical portal. I’m not exactly sure why he’s rated worse than high-school power-forwards who weigh 195 pounds (he’s listed as the 20th PF) unless it is due to his comparative lack of explosiveness. However he’s already being listed as being 240 pounds and his game is already very polished for a high-schooler…and at 240 he’s not going to be asked to grab coins off the top of the backboard anyway. Lateral movement defensively could be an issue but that strengthens the case for putting him out there to guard fives and not skinny fours. Lathan’s ability to hit the three (he was a guard until a recent growth spurt so he’s not just learning to shoot) makes him a very interesting option at the five right out the gate IMO. His game reminds me of a taller but thinner Charles Barkley.

Barkley was exceptional…
Big body and great wingspan (and used it to his advantage) and vast skillset offset his lack of above -the-rim play.
I see ESPN is listing Lathan at 6-8 245 pounds. He appears to be at least 245 to me and his wingspan looks long…somewhat justifying him being listed as 6-10 although I couldn’t find a wingspan measurement.

Last edited:
Big body and great wingspan (and used it to his advantage) and vast skillset offset his lack of above -the-rim play.
I see ESPN is listing Lathan at 6-8 245 pounds. He appears to be at least 245 to me and his wingspan looks long…somewhat justifying him being listed as 6-10 although I couldn’t find a wingspan measurement.
Looked bigger and taller than everyone he played against when he played at the RAC. Looked like he had a nice outside shot and seemed very skilled. Wasn’t as intense or explosive as I would have liked. Seemed to rebound when the ball came to him rather than really go after them.

Friends from the Midwest saw him play in his state championships and said the kid going to Rutgers was a monster.

Looked bigger and taller than everyone he played against when he played at the RAC. Looked like he had a nice outside shot and seemed very skilled. Wasn’t as intense or explosive as I would have liked. Seemed to rebound when the ball came to him rather than really go after them.

Friends from the Midwest saw him play in his state championships and said the kid going to Rutgers was a monster.
Lathan would solve a lot of problems if he is ready to play big minutes right out the gate. Ogbole has already shown he can rebound and play solid D (while not being a shot blocker).

Cliff would actually be perfect for next year. Mobile, athletic big man that can run the pick and roll with Dylan, be a defensive presence and rebound the ball. That's pretty much exactly what we need for next year.

Yup. Cliff was exactly what we need. Oh well. The kid gave us a number of good years

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT