ADVERTISEMENT

John Smith retired - Magic Man Hired 🤯

If AA goes to Princeton, that's a pretty big slap in the face to RU. Now if the NJ legend is Suriano?? That makes a small amount if sense. He has burned some bridges, tried to extend his career with some road blocks, and might be looking for a full time job somewhere.

If AA goes to Princeton, that's a pretty big slap in the face to RU. Now if the NJ legend is Suriano?? That makes a small amount if sense. He has burned some bridges, tried to extend his career with some road blocks, and might be looking for a full time job somewhere.
Why!!!!

Anthony put Rutgers on the map. He took a chance on Rutgers when no one else did. He built a following among young NJ wrestlers who would want to wrestle for RU.. His Mobbin Wrestling Classic introduced young kids throughout the country to NJ wrestling. He had many memorable matches at Jersey Mike's. His victory over former RU commit Josh Dziewa in the first Big Ten match against Iowa, shooting down John Smith in his win over Gfeller, and showing ten fingers in his viceroy over Matt Kolodzik all come to mind. He was a leader in the RU athletic department as Pikiell had him speak to his team and Hobbs praised him as a role model.. He belongs in the Rutgers Hall of Fame. He is NJ wrestling.

As alums and fans, we all want the fairytale ending, but the world rarely works that way. I don't want to see AA in rival Princeton gear, but this is a business, so I understand and don't begrudge anyone. These guys want varied experiences and opportunities to learn from different coaches, so they can grow and build a strong resume. Just look around the country at where everyone is coaching/training and has coached/trained in their careers.

Cael left his alma mater, ISU, after 6 years (2003-09) for PSU. Koll just returned to his alma mater, UNC, after decades at Cornell (1989-2021) and then a short time at Stanford (2021-23), and grew up in State College where his dad coached at PSU. Ayres left his alma mater, Lehigh, after 6 years for Princeton (17 years) and now Stanford (yr 2). More recently, Glory is starting his coaching career at NYU. The list goes on and on.

There aren't many John Smith stories where you coach at your alma mater forever, and OKST passed on hiring their own alum, Coleman Scott, for DT.

Now, when Princeton visits the RAC in 2 years, I hope we play this video 😄:

I hope AA returns to coach for Rutgers one day.

Last edited:
But Suriano begins with an S

Winston is easy to explain even if you forget about injuries. He was the first real recruit this program brought in and the room was light compared to what it is today. Winston probably didn’t develop to his full potential because he didn’t have the bodies to push him to it. However we’re not the program we are today if he doesn’t come here so it’s impossible to fault him at all.

Aragona just met some adversity and didn’t respond well to it. Eventually chose the path of his girlfriend over the sport which is his choice. I think he’s a big reason why Goodale has said he’s only recruiting kids who treat wrestling as a lifestyle, not just a sport they’re good at.
That’s part of it with Winston but another thing is he was so much more developed both physically and on his feet growing up ( I wrestled him in middle school and hs) and it caught up to him a bit in college.Everybody is really strong and good on their feet in D1 he just may have reached his peak and then I think the injuries sapped his confidence. I agree an ncaa champ in the room or an AA to scrap with everyday may have helped him sharpen his mat wrestling which I think would’ve been a difference maker for him but i can tell you as someone competing and looking at colleges to wrestle at the time that when he committed to Rutgers every wrestles thought process changed. Rutgers went from an after thought to something real right away.

Idk if Goodale ever gets it going and Rutgers ever ascends to where you guys are now without Winston leading the way in that first class

Reactions: SCNJ
I believe we all want Rutgers to be better. I know I do. I am not pleased with the status quo.

The rumored Ashnault hiring by Princeton is upsetting as I see Princeton moving forward and Rutgers stuck as a top 20 team. That doesn't mean that our coaches are not working hard.

De we have a plan for improvement? If yes, what is it? Princeton will now have three national champs on staff and a RTC that has accomplished senior athletes. Are we comfortable where we are and unwilling to change?

I am sure Coach Pollard is a nice guy, loyal, works hard, and really cares. WNG says "Joe Pollard contributes to RU wrestling and what he does with young high schoolers to come to RU." As I am not an insider, please list what top NJ high school wrestlers credit Coach Pollard with their commitment to RU. Coach Goodale is on record saying we need to go out of state to recruit as many of the top Jersey kids don't want to come to Rutgers. This year not one NJ state champ committed to RU. Coach Mytych has been here for two years and is credited with some top ranked Pa recruits. He has achieved results as a recruiter. It seems that Coach Pollard belongs at Rutgers in a different role. Maybe, Director of Operations. Oklahoma just hired former national champ, Mark Hall, as Director of Operations.

It is documented that top high school recruits are attracted to All Americans and national champs as coaches. Wrestling coaches actively wrestle with the kids. This is very important to top high school kids. I imagine there are some good college coaches without credentials. I just don't know any. We have Donny and no other coach with impressive wrestling credentials. When we go on the recruiting trail, it puts us at a disadvantage. Most top programs have multiple All Americans. Not every coach needs to be an AA. But does any top team have only one AA on staff?

The SKWC keeps asking for money. The financials have been posted on the forum and we don't appear to be hurting for money. What is the money used for? Other than Rivera and an occasional visiting athlete, we don't seem to have a competitive RTC. Is there a plan to increase the number of athletes in the RTC? Buxton has done a great job with Rivera and is one of the best senior coaches in America. With Buxton's track record we should have no problem attracting one or two quality senior athletes in addition to Rivera.

At his press conference, David Taylor stated that it is important to have champs in the room as coaches and senior athletes. He wants wrestlers to feel what it is like to wrestle with champs. One of his top priorities is to expand the Okie State RTC. He has already hired a young coaching staff that can attract top high school kids. While Taylor has never coached a college or high school team, he defined a clear plan for Okie State.

I feel donor fatigue giving money with limited improvement over the last ten years. I just don't understand the Rutgers plan. Can someone explain it? If in town, I will try to make the golf outing as I like hanging out with RU wrestling friends. While I don't expect us to be Okie State or PSU, it's frustrating that we have not improved over the last ten or so years. As Tony Robbins has said, "by changing nothing, nothing changes".

That’s part of it with Winston but another thing is he was so much more developed both physically and on his feet growing up ( I wrestled him in middle school and hs) and it caught up to him a bit in college.Everybody is really strong and good on their feet in D1 he just may have reached his peak and then I think the injuries sapped his confidence. I agree an ncaa champ in the room or an AA to scrap with everyday may have helped him sharpen his mat wrestling which I think would’ve been a difference maker for him but i can tell you as someone competing and looking at colleges to wrestle at the time that when he committed to Rutgers every wrestles thought process changed. Rutgers went from an after thought to something real right away.

Idk if Goodale ever gets it going and Rutgers ever ascends to where you guys are now without Winston leading the way in that first class
That original class created so much original buzz around the RU program… ranked #2 overall class recruit … had #2 Winston, #17 Melde and a whole bunch of NJ state champs… everyone back then believed RU woulda became a instant powerhouse if we kept the top NJ talents in…young and wide eyed… seemed like we were a sleeping giant destined to be awaken… little did we know how much harder it would actually be..

How is it a slap in the face. Rutgers didn't have a vacant position available for AA. I'm glad he's coaching in NJ I get to go see him coach. Metcalf and St. John both coach at Iowa St not at Iowa.
The Ashnault family was all about RU. AA leaves Rutgers/SKWC, goes to a nearby club to train and the general feeling here was there was/is something going on between AA and RU. You are certainly in the know more than most on this board, share a good amount with us which I'm thankful to you but obviously there are plenty more things you know that we don't. It would seem to me if AA wanted to be at RU/SKWC, Rutgers would bend over backwards to have him involved. He is Rutgers royalty...or maybe he doesn't want to be involved for his own reasons. He has distanced himself from RU and now sounds likely going to a local rival. I perceive it as a slap in the face to RU but maybe that is due to the fact I want him here to help push RU to a higher level. Instead, Princeton gets him..at least for now.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Pollard worked with Dhawver all year and you saw the results
Pollard didnt work w Shawver the previous years ? Can’t just use a one person sample size.. I’m sure Pollard is a good coach but we should always be asking ourselves how we can improve..

I understand many insiders and other fans are satisfied with our mediocre results.

When an organization is stagnate for a decade without impactful change it is hard to believe the future will be much better or worst.

We are not going to convince each other of our opinions.

The good news is that when the season starts all of us whether from afar or at Jersey Mike's will be cheering our guys on.

Last edited:
Reactions: LETSGORU91
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT