ADVERTISEMENT

Julie,PLEASE lower the ticket/parking prices

HeavenUniv.

Hall of Famer
Sep 21, 2004
Well,we have just finished another dreadful season of this national laughingstock--39 years since the Final Four !!!--32 years since a win in the NCAA tournament !!!--24 year since even being in the NCAA tournament !!! If we are lucky,we will see the same number of wins next tear. As usual,we will play a whole bunch of home out of conference games against teams no one has heard of and no one wants to see--UMBC,Drexel,Stony Brook,Sacred Heart, Saint Francis (maybe both of them again), New Hampshire,etc.,etc. MAYBE we will beat Northwestern and Penn State at home and maybe pull off one upset. In the last few years,the real diehards have finally had enough. I am talking about people who have had season tickets for 15,20,25 years. I spoke with a few more yesterday who said they won't renew. I have been addicted to Rutgers sports since 1976 and will likely renew,but there are a getting to be fewer and fewer of us left. Unless the school wants to see high school level crowds again for the first half of next season,ticket and parking prices must be reduced.

This will have zero effect - lower ticket prices will not drive people into seeing this team. There will be no difference in crowed sizes

Win a little - that might help

Parking and ticket revenue is what this program needs.

Instead of reducing prices offer more and touch the season ticket holders more.

Touching the season ticket holders for more is preposterous. We need an admiinistration with vision and a coach and staff that is energetic and able to make headway recruiting outside the NJ/NY area. The recruiting paradigm hasn't worked in more than a generation. There are long, athletic players with real skills in other areas of the country who want to compete in the Big Ten. And we need alumni with deep pockets to step forward. Enough with putting the burden on the fans.
This post was edited on 3/4 11:04 AM by Mr_Twister

Lower ticket prices aren't going to attract more fans. I had free tickets this year and didn't even make the time to come and I consider myself one of the few that still closely follow bball. I watched every game on TV.

Those on the fan advisory board should suggest this idea ... for men's basketball and all other sports. Fans are rewarded with scarlet pride points for their in person attendance at Rutgers home games. RU fans are given a loyal RU fan card which can be scanned when entering and leaving the stadium, arena, field. The points go towards things like every certain amount of scarlet pride points can get you "x" priority points, or special access at certain games, a tour of the facilities, give aways,etc.

Then you add bonus points for things like getting there early, staying the whole game, showing up to a big men's soccer game, etc.

As always people will be worried about money with this proposal - it costs RU nothing other than maybe a a few extra people at games with scanners. The ticket & concession sales increase alone would offset this plus return an increased revenue.

Originally posted by ScarletKid2008:
Lower ticket prices aren't going to attract more fans. I had free tickets this year and didn't even make the time to come and I consider myself one of the few that still closely follow bball. I watched every game on TV.
Agreed. But it might keep some people from cancelling their season tickets for next year.

NO!!!

The ticket prices and parking isn't the problem...and lowering the price isn't going to bring people in. A better product will

What They should be doing is rewarding....BIG TIME...the long time consecutive season ticket holder with a LOT more priority points than they currently do. We (and I am one of the WE) should be protected later with reward for enduring and being beyond loyal for all of these years without success...

That is what woulf be fair

And this would help retain season ticketholders until better times arrive

And...maybe give this as an incentive to get back season ticket holder...give additional points to people who held season tickets for 8 of the last 10 years (an example) if they come back next year.

Lots of things to do to give incentorive to get people to come back to the RAC without lowering prices

But the biggest thing is get the product on the floor to be better

Fans can already get Rutgers basketball tickets for pennies on the dollar, on StubHub. Maybe not for the marquee Big Ten matches where season ticket holders were trying to sell their seats to opposing fans for hundreds of dollars, but for those low-major OOC games. So there goes the theory of lowering ticket prices to bring fans in. You can already get super cheap tickets to those early OOC games, and the people still stay away in droves.

No. Do something significant for the season tix holders but frankly this is the program that ought to have the dynamic pricing in place as so many more visitors to mine.

If that many visiting fans are going to come game after game then make your money from them. Find a way to take care of existing fan base but drive up the revenue from the opposing fans. We are giving them a tremendous break with these prices and all the seats going to them.

just using simple math..$10 more from 1000 fans times 10 games is an extra $100,000 to put into something... (and I am sure it could be much more than this)

Originally posted by RU-ROCS:

Originally posted by ScarletKid2008:
Agreed. But it might keep some people from cancelling their season tickets for next year.

Agree. At least bring back the 300 level season tickets so we can continue our "donation" and stay on as a season ticket holder. It's hard to rationalize anything else at this point. $$$$

Parking prices are outrageous and that has discouraged some fans from renewing even for football.What has concerned me the most is the utter disregard of long term season ticket holders.There should be higher priority points given to consecutive season ticket holders for more than 10 years with a grading scale for even longer loyalty.

Sell booze. Students don't come anyway so we don't have to worry about carding the underage.

We may need a groupon package of tickets and parking. We need to bring more fans in. Getting a fan in the door will lead to them buying soda, hot dogs, and popcorn. If they have a fun time they may come back at full price.

When I was a kid and the Nets played at the RAC and they had a deal for kids. It was a 5 game package and each game you got a different piece of the uniform (shirt, shorts, socks, head band, wrist bands). Something like that may help with Rutgers. They may need to modernize it with a t shirt plus jersey instead of the head band.

This post was edited on 3/4 1:39 PM by RUfinal4

Originally posted by Scarlet Shack:

NO!!!

The ticket prices and parking isn't the problem...and lowering the price isn't going to bring people in. A better product will

What They should be doing is rewarding....BIG TIME...the long time consecutive season ticket holder with a LOT more priority points than they currently do. We (and I am one of the WE) should be protected later with reward for enduring and being beyond loyal for all of these years without success...

That is what woulf be fair

And this would help retain season ticketholders until better times arrive

And...maybe give this as an incentive to get back season ticket holder...give additional points to people who held season tickets for 8 of the last 10 years (an example) if they come back next year.

Lots of things to do to give incentorive to get people to come back to the RAC without lowering prices

But the biggest thing is get the product on the floor to be better
You don't think they do that already? I mean you get one point per ticket plus one point for # of consecutive years of purchase. If you have been a season ticket holder for 10 years and have four tickets you get 14 more priority points than someone who just goes to a few games or none at all. That to me is pretty significant.

You also have to remember that the school uses priority points big time for donations. You start giving them away and making it easy for basketball season ticket holders to walk into the scarlet for football...you are going to give them less incentive to donate.

I'm a hoops season ticket holder. Guess what, I had a lot of fun at the game last night. Do I want to see more wins? Do I want a more rockin RAC? Do I want to park in the Scarlet lot? Or freakin course. But it's like some people feel like they should be rewarded for going to see a game of their alma mater with some friends or family.

Originally posted by Greene Rice FIG:

Exactly the wrong direction

Pricing is not the problem here. It is interest in the product on the court.Decreasing prices will do nothing except give visiting fans more cash back in their pockets.

I agree with the consensus on the pricing.

What I might do is aggressively reach out to senior citizens with a 5 game package and a reduced parking fee. Make it mostly for the day games as driving for them at night in many cases is an issue.

ND does a real nice job of reaching out to local youth basketball leagues and getting them a block of tickets for the OOC games . They come in on a bus early , get lunch and a locker room tour . This is for both mens and womens programs.

Oh and we don't have a practice facility and Purcell is worse than the RAC.

In my opinion, what needs to be done in terms of ticket prices is to make the entire 300 level the "family zone" for a lower price and try to sell season tickets that way. It worked great for football and can help get those tickets sold.

For the majority of games this year, the 300 level is virtually empty, so this could at least get some people in the seats and give the building a little more juice.

Originally posted by Greene Rice FIG:

maybe if the cheerleaders touched me more....or at all, that might be nice

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT