ADVERTISEMENT

July 1st: no clarity on remaining roster spots

Still need a backup for frontcourt...

4 - Yeboah, Carter
5 - Johnson, Doucoure

If, and I emphasize IF, Pike is on the level in lauding the progress Carter has made in the offseason, and in stating that Doucoure is going to contribute alot this year, we do NOT need a backup for the frontcourt. We have the above four guys, plus Harper who will probably play some "smallball 4" at times too.

Would I LIKE to have another front court guy? Yes. But if we don't get one, it's not the end of the world if Carter/Doucoure are legit.

It’s July 1st and outside of center we are covered and young 2 deep at every position. I doubt there are many serviceable 5s that are available and eligible.

Only possible move I’d expect is a conventional transfer that would utilize the empty scholarship for next year.

4 - Yeboah, Carter
5 - Johnson, Doucoure

If, and I emphasize IF, Pike is on the level in lauding the progress Carter has made in the offseason, and in stating that Doucoure is going to contribute alot this year, we do NOT need a backup for the frontcourt. We have the above four guys, plus Harper who will probably play some "smallball 4" at times too.

Would I LIKE to have another front court guy? Yes. But if we don't get one, it's not the end of the world if Carter/Doucoure are legit.
That's a thin front court. We're going to see a lot of small ball.

I wish we had another grad transfer as a Big as I just don't know how much real production we will get from Doucoure? I think Yeboah plays bigger than he is and he's an experienced kid. Carter and Johnson have to really stay out of foul trouble. We still have the walk on who can also get some minutes and help. And of course, even though he would sitting, Donnie Tillman would be a great addition.

I wish we had another grad transfer as a Big as I just don't know how much real production we will get from Doucoure? I think Yeboah plays bigger than he is and he's an experienced kid. Carter and Johnson have to really stay out of foul trouble. We still have the walk on who can also get some minutes and help. And of course, even though he would sitting, Donnie Tillman would be a great addition.

CJ Gettys was an anamoly. Grad transfers at the 5 are at best your version of what Ducoure might be.

Remember we have Duke and Carter and Johnson at the 5. I know Duke and Carter aren't 5s, but neither will the grad transfer. He'd either be a tweener OR he'd be a 7' stiff that pains you to the eye watching him try to run once or twice down the floor.

Reactions: Scangg
CJ Gettys was an anamoly. Grad transfers at the 5 are at best your version of what Ducoure might be.

Remember we have Duke and Carter and Johnson at the 5. I know Duke and Carter aren't 5s, but neither will the grad transfer. He'd either be a tweener OR he'd be a 7' stiff that pains you to the eye watching him try to run once or twice down the floor.
I hear you on that? What's you take on Luke Nathan? I know we didnt see that much but he looks like he could give us a few important minutes when needed if we are in some foul trouble. Just even from a defensive standpoint; he didn't look that bad. I know it's the Big 10 so it's hard to say?

4 - Yeboah, Carter
5 - Johnson, Doucoure

There is a need for another front court player because of foul trouble or an injury that might occur.

I hear you on that? What's you take on Luke Nathan? I know we didnt see that much but he looks like he could give us a few important minutes when needed if we are in some foul trouble. Just even from a defensive standpoint; he didn't look that bad. I know it's the Big 10 so it's hard to say?

He is real tall. Lives in Randolph. Wears Rutgers gear in public.

What is this obsession with bigs? It's not 1980 any more! College basketball is a guards game
I’m not sure I agree on that? All big 10 teams have bigs who can post. That’s what opens up the 3 point shots. And if you can’t contain the bigs and stay out of foul trouble, you can’t win in our league. We had trouble with several teams and had another 7 footer in Doorsan to help. He had his deficiencies but provided good defense, rebounding and some occasional points. Maybe Doucore is that guy this year but I’m concerned about his production and he also can’t hit free throws.

What is this obsession with bigs? It's not 1980 any more! College basketball is a guards game
Teams have to rebound and defend big post players which Rutgers had difficulty with in the B1G.

I haven't checked around other message boards but i don't think other schools are all full and some are still holding at 10 or 11 total ships as of July 1st. I think Illinois may have added a big to get to 11 and Tillman would be 12 out of 13.

I don't see a lot of bigs across the landscape beyond the starting caliber players on rosters. Most have 4, which is where RU stands today with 3...Doucoure, Myles, Shaq Carter.

The walk on Daniel Lobach is more of a PF more than true C/PF....plus you have Luke Nathan as a 4th or 5th option for rebounds or fouls, if it becomes necessary.

I think having 5 to 6 players at 6'5 to 6'7", all factor in to be a better option to go to, unless the PF or big available is truly a player is capable of starting or playing 18 to 22 minutes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT