ADVERTISEMENT

Kyonte Hamilton—Wrestlers Relentless Attitude

This is his future and probably should just focus on FB. Hope he can contribute in wrestling but not sure it’s going to happen with the balancing act and overlapping seasons.

It's amazing. Goody finds this kid ( a diamond in the rough so to speak) and now that overpaid sellout Schiano benefits from it. Let's not forget what Schiano did to his recruits on signing day. Jumped ship while they watched him ink a deal with the Buccaneers. You can't sell that guy to me. He has no passion for Rutgers athletics unless he is getting what he wants. Goody has stood by this team, even when he was being paid bottom of the rung dollars. I don't know about all of you, but I'm pretty pissed about this. Don't tease us by standing around with the team. Those days of Curly Culp and Dr. Death Steve Williams are long gone.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Technically schiano left about 5-6 days before signing day. Also he took a job in the nfl. Goody is amazing and wrestling just a different beast with different pay scales and a different type of person as your head coach.

But yeah I was really hoping kyonte would have primarily been a wrestler. With the overlapping seasons it’s going to be extremely difficult to be a reality that he will reach his potential in wrestling.

It's amazing. Goody finds this kid ( a diamond in the rough so to speak) and now that overpaid sellout Schiano benefits from it. Let's not forget what Schiano did to his recruits on signing day. Jumped ship while they watched him ink a deal with the Buccaneers. You can't sell that guy to me. He has no passion for Rutgers athletics unless he is getting what he wants. Goody has stood by this team, even when he was being paid bottom of the rung dollars. I don't know about all of you, but I'm pretty pissed about this. Don't tease us by standing around with the team. Those days of Curly Culp and Dr. Death Steve Williams are long gone.
I mean is Kyonte even beating McDermott in the room?? He got his RS pulled this year n he barely wrestled.. feels like his passion is more into football

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Show me a list of college football coaches that would stay in college instead of taking an NFL job. Unless they’re all time greats with life time contracts like Saban, they’ll go to the NFL every time. And even Saban himself dabbled.

Maybe I'm incorrect here but isn't it a blessing in disguise that he has a football scholarship? Saves the wrestling team money for another potential scholarship. Seems like a win/win to me, you get a solid wrestler with potential to make some noise and don't have to have him on a wrestling "scholarship". Would it be nice if he focused his energy into wrestling? Sure, but seems like his long term potential is in football.

Show me a list of college football coaches that would stay in college instead of taking an NFL job. Unless they’re all time greats with life time contracts like Saban, they’ll go to the NFL every time. And even Saban himself dabbled.
It was the way he did it and then leveraged against the university with the pay scale. I get it, it's all relative to the Big 10 salaries, but it's just the way he did it just irks me. Donny has had head coach offers out the wazoo...he stayed, didn't he?

It was the way he did it and then leveraged against the university with the pay scale. I get it, it's all relative to the Big 10 salaries, but it's just the way he did it just irks me. Donny has had head coach offers out the wazoo...he stayed, didn't he?
Donnie decided he’d rather keep his girls enrolled in the school system here and it wasn’t worth the pay increase. Do you think if someone offered him a few million dollars a year to coach elsewhere, he wouldn’t take it?

Hating on Schiano when he is literally the only football coach in Rutgers history to have success is just weird.

Having Kyonte on a football scholarship is a double edge sword. Football gets priority like what happened this year with the Gator Bowl. He was just starting to wrestle after football when we got the Gator Bowl invite and back he goes to football so another 10-14 days lost in the heart of the season. Then he comes back and it is a couple more weeks to get him into wrestling shape again. So this was really a lost year for him. Great young man but doing both sports at the peak level is very hard.

Donnie decided he’d rather keep his girls enrolled in the school system here and it wasn’t worth the pay increase. Do you think if someone offered him a few million dollars a year to coach elsewhere, he wouldn’t take it?

Hating on Schiano when he is literally the only football coach in Rutgers history to have success is just weird.
Ok, two things. #1, you're not Donnie and I'd be hard-pressed to see any college coach outside of Sanderson, that's hitting the million-dollar mark. We are talking about relative pay scale here. Every coach we've had for the last 30 years has been lousy, so Is you want to crown Schiano as some success story, go right ahead. I hardly think he garners a big-time pay scale, considering when he was here, he beat some watered versions of Arkansas. I'm not hating on him at all, just calling it for what it is. Again, my two cents on it. There are going to be naysayers and fans of every coach. You are always quick to defend this guy. Are you his mom or something?

• Haha
Reactions: mikemessner
Ok, two things. #1, you're not Donnie and I'd be hard-pressed to see any college coach outside of Sanderson, that's hitting the million-dollar mark. We are talking about relative pay scale here. Every coach we've had for the last 30 years has been lousy, so Is you want to crown Schiano as some success story, go right ahead. I hardly think he garners a big-time pay scale, considering when he was here, he beat some watered versions of Arkansas. I'm not hating on him at all, just calling it for what it is. Again, my two cents on it. There are going to be naysayers and fans of every coach. You are always quick to defend this guy. Are you his mom or something?
You think taking a dumpster fire of a program, putting it into the top 20, getting top 10 wins, getting top recruits to buy into the program and getting RU into multiple bowl games (with wins) was not a success story given the putrid history of our Rutgers Football team?

Last edited:
I've never faulted anyone who accepted a job offer that they thought was best for them and their family. That would include turning down an offer for the same reasons. Rutgers started their quest for big-time football nearly 40 years ago and have floundered ever since. There have been a string of others' assistants hired as head coaches instead of paying for a proven coach. If records are any indication, Schiano's win percentage is .484 over 13 years. He had one very good season. Maybe the kids didn't pan out? On the positive side, he has been a very good recruiter and builder of enthusiasm. But after nearly 40 years of stumbling about, it is hard for Rutgers to attract the top recruits (familiar?), so I think they'll be chopping for some time to come.

Don’t underestimate what Frank Burns did as a Rutgers head football coach with absolutely meager resources. Great coach and great man.

Hamilton was the #1 ranked HS heavyweight in USA for part of his Junior year (Don't think thats a Diamond in the Rough). The only way Rutgers landed him was Goodale agreeing Hamilton would also play football and be on a Football scholarship. Goodale and Schiano worked together on bringing him to Rutgers. Also Goodale has never sniffed "bottom of the rung dollars" compared to other D1 Wrestling Programs since becoming Rutgers HC.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChasRC69 and TRU2RU
Hamilton was the #1 ranked HS heavyweight in USA for part of his Junior year (Don't think thats a Diamond in Rough). The only way Rutgers landed him was Goodale agreeing Hamilton would also play football and be on a Football scholarship. Goodale and Schiano worked together on bringing him to Rutgers.
Correct! Even though he was a much higher wrestling recruit, he wanted to play Football and chose a school that would let him do both. Of course, some of us were hoping he did not do well in football so we could get more from him in wrestling! Lol Turns out he had a great Frosh year and will be very tuff for him to get enough mat time. Great for him, not for us wrestling fans.

Given how the hiring process for the head football coach position was handled post Coach Burns and pre Greg Schiano we would have been better off hiring the staff of the Passaic Valley Hornets and saved a lot of money. At least those guys understood New Jersey HS football. Hey, it worked with Scott Goodale!

Last edited:
The problem was the timing

Rutgers started their quest for big-time football nearly 40 years ago and have floundered ever since.
This couldn't be further from the truth. Rutgers joined the BE for football in 1995 (27 years ago), but in name only with no resources or effort. Rutgers didn't start trying to adequately fund it and be competitive for another 10 years and that was barely true.

This couldn't be further from the truth. Rutgers joined the BE for football in 1995 (27 years ago), but in name only with no resources or effort. Rutgers didn't start trying to adequately fund it and be competitive for another 10 years and that was barely true.
Rutgers started bringing stronger teams into their schedule several years before Burns' dismissal. They did that to elevate the program. Burns' last three years were losing records, mainly because of the stronger competition. Then they brought in Andeson followed by a string of others in an effort to elevate the program. No, they didn't have the funding and couldn't figure out that they needed to pay for a proven coach in order to successfully compete with those teams on the schedule. They continued to hire assistant coaches from other programs and continue to do so to this day.

Reactions: DUForever
Donny had an offer from bottom feeder Maryland. Schiano had an offer to coach at Michigan his first time around and decided to stay at RU. Thats like Donny turning down Iowa which he would never do in a million years.

I've never faulted anyone who accepted a job offer that they thought was best for them and their family. That would include turning down an offer for the same reasons. Rutgers started their quest for big-time football nearly 40 years ago and have floundered ever since. There have been a string of others' assistants hired as head coaches instead of paying for a proven coach. If records are any indication, Schiano's win percentage is .484 over 13 years. He had one very good season. Maybe the kids didn't pan out? On the positive side, he has been a very good recruiter and builder of enthusiasm. But after nearly 40 years of stumbling about, it is hard for Rutgers to attract the top recruits (familiar?), so I think they'll be chopping for some time to come.
Declaring you're going to go into "Big Time College Athletics" and funding it like "Big Time College Athletics" are two entirely separate things. Rutgers made this declaration upon the hiring of Dick Anderson in 1984. Then for the next 20 yrs. funded it like a Patriot League school.

That's a lot of catching up to do and they're not even getting a full payout from the B1G yet. So you can say 40 yrs, but it's 40yrs. of not playing on an even playing field. It took Goodale a long time to make us respectable and we still can't crack the top 7 in the conference, you have to give Schiano more than 2 yrs.. As for pay, that's a non discussion, Schiano makes the 12th ranked salary in the B1G.

Last edited:
The problem was the timing
What was he supposed to say? "No" to the pinnacle of the profession? The Glazer's asked him a week before signing day he didn't choose the date. Also, he turned down other offers earlier in his career to more prestigious college football programs. Many are thinking about this in wrestling terms where, yes D1 College Wrestling Coach is the pinnacle of the profession. That's far from the case in football or basketball.

He was supposed to say yes but give me a month to get this incoming class together and make it a smooth transition and build a commraderie with the roster. Instead he walked out at the worst time and blew up the class. It’s not like TB needed him asap they’re professional grown men not hs kids.
And who cares what he turned down that’s not the point— and he would’ve got canned quicker in UM than he did in Tampa

Reactions: runrutgersrun
He was supposed to say yes but give me a month to get this incoming class together and make it a smooth transition and build a commraderie with the roster. Instead he walked out at the worst time and blew up the class. It’s not like TB needed him asap they’re professional grown men not hs kids.
And who cares what he turned down that’s not the point— and he would’ve got canned quicker in UM than he did in Tampa
First off the class didn’t blow up, they kept Flood on and retained pretty much the entire class. 2nd, the part about UM or any other college is you just hating on him with Zero evidence that would happen. One can even argue he wasn’t given enough time in Tampa and actually had them trending in the right direction.

I am not a Schiano lover by any means but he’s the best thing to happen to RU FB in the last 20+ years whether it’s last time or this time. He has brought big time FB to Piscataway, juice to the program and the most talent anyone had ever brought to this campus. He’s helped build up the facilities and has put more guys in The NFL in his tenure then all coaches combined x5.

He just brought in the highest or 2nd Highest ranked class ever and 3-4 of the Highest ranked players to ever step foot on campus. All this coming in 2x when the program was literally the laughing stock of college FB.

Does Crackers even realize that if it wasn’t for what Schiano accomplished RU would not be Wrestling in the Big 10, & Donnie would not have come to RU if we were not in the Big 10.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
First off- I’m not a schiano hater but I don’t have my nose up his ass like you do. Check how class rank dropped every year after he left. And how much better the fb program would be if stayed through instead of how far back we slid with flood and ash. Perception is huge in recruiting and he made RU look bad and helped make a laughing stock.
He lasted 2 yrs in Tampa, enough said. Won 11 games in 2 yrs and lost the team, one can’t argue that. There’s got to be a reason he didn’t take UM job..
Love his recruiting not a fan of game day coaching. But my original post was that the timing when he left was bad

First off- I’m not a schiano hater but I don’t have my nose up his ass like you do. Check how class rank dropped every year after he left. And how much better the fb program would be if stayed through instead of how far back we slid with flood and ash. Perception is huge in recruiting and he made RU look bad and helped make a laughing stock.
He lasted 2 yrs in Tampa, enough said. Won 11 games in 2 yrs and lost the team, one can’t argue that. There’s got to be a reason he didn’t take UM job..
Love his recruiting not a fan of game day coaching. But my original post was that the timing when he left was bad
You can't blame him for an incompetent AD(Pernetti), President(Barchi) and Board of Govenor's. It was their decision to cut coaching salaries so that all we could afford was Flood. It was their decision to keep an unqualified coach to be Head Coach for the following years. Schiano built it to where it was and those three entities burned all that work to the ground. The whole operation was penny wise/dollar foolish and participation was the only goal under Barchi.(his words)

Last edited:
Nick Saban lasted less time in Miami. Must be a bad coach.

That’s a whole different conversation. The initial post was gs leaving was bad timing. 😳
And you were correlating "bad timing" as having something to do with our ultimate demise. You said the move helped shape perception. In reality the perception was shaped by Flood's incompetence. Schiano didn't have 14 decommits those decommits the next year came long after Schiano had left.

And you were correlating "bad timing" as having something to do with our ultimate demise. You said the move helped shape perception. In reality the perception was shaped by Flood's incompetence. Schiano didn't have 14 decommits those decommits the next year came long after Schiano had left.
Yea and why was flood the coach. They had to grab him last minute bc gs bad timing left them in a sh!t spot

Timing of what? The guy was offered a better job and took it. No idea how my support of Schiano leads to me being a Paterno fan but you do you pal
If you don’t know go back and read the posts. Staracci is fluffing your pillow right now. Penn st closet fan

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT