ADVERTISEMENT

Lacrosse

The women's lacrosse game is much less physical by design. There is no checking other than stick checks which can not cross the body. There is a rule called shooting space, which means you must not stand in front of an offensive player when they are in the act of shooting the ball, obviously this does not apply to the goalie who wears a helmet and pads.

Having said that I think the women should wear helmets, I've seen a number of girls get hit and those balls are hard and are thrown fast. Even with a helmet my daughter, a goalie got a concussion when hit in the face mask by a shot.

I've never played but have a few of the lacrosse balls and they are really hard rubber

I couldnt agree more about women needing a helmet. My daughter is ten and plays and its clearly not needed from a body checking standpoint. But girls can and do take sticks and balls to the face. Its not rare and this should change asap imo

I'm also astounded at the amount of superficial head and face injuries in girls field hockey...not to mention the two broken fingers of seperate girls last fall.
My daughter is playing 6th, 7th and 8th grade level so encountering teams with girls who are beginners and make wild swings makes it even scarier

Last edited:
I would think that girls would be more important to protect their face than guys. Looks ultimately does not matter for men but could be crucial for women.

I couldnt agree more about women needing a helmet. My daughter is ten and plays and its clearly not needed from a body checking standpoint. But girls can and do take sticks and balls to the face. Its not rare and this should change asap imo
I don't know the rule for lacrosse, but could you have your daughter wear a helmet or is that against a league or uniform rule?

I would think that girls would be more important to protect their face than guys. Looks ultimately does not matter for men but could be crucial for women.
My daughters play softball and when they started I had them wear a fielding face mask. It doesn't matter what position they are playing. I saw a 12 year old girl who was pitching get a line drive in the mouth. Her teeth were all over the field. Pain, dental bills, etc. and I agree that looks do matter in life for women.

My daughters play softball and when they started I had them wear a fielding face mask. It doesn't matter what position they are playing. I saw a 12 year old girl who was pitching get a line drive in the mouth. Her teeth were all over the field. Pain, dental bills, etc. and I agree that looks do matter in life for women.
They call it a softball, but it ain't!
I've seen way to many scary injuries to girls...wear a mask!

I would not let my daughter play lacrosse without helmet. Beyond the sport it would be extremely irresponsible for me to not think about her facial features. In some respects I think girls are more intense than boys

Reactions: jreinsdorf
Men's lacrosse is full contact. Women's is non contact.

I don't recall women having a lot of issues, concussions or otherwise.

I'd like to see some data.

In many sports, once you start putting helmets on the sticks will rise. Just look at hockey and high sticking now versus the days before a helmet...

Women's lacrosse does not need helmets.

At a young age? Maybe. But as you get older (the same goes for men) the game becomes more and more controlled.

The players get better, the checks become more calculated and less checking just to check.

I coach girls lax, the worst checks I've seen have been body checks while going for a GB or flipping the field in transition.

Hockey did not require helmets. When my son started playing baseball and got hit in the head, I put a facemask on his helmet. He did not like it, but over time I saw other parents do the same. Same for skiing. When my daughter started in the early 2000's I put a ski helmet on her when almost no other kids use them. Today, almost all kids have them and some slopes require them. If my daughter played lacrosse, she would use a helmet. Check data or whatever, but I wouldn't care about that as by the time that data is debated it may be too late. I am glad to see more fielding masks too in softball on the fields near us. Not as many as I would like to see (particularly on hot corners), but an increase overall.

Reactions: Blitz8RUCrazy
When you consider what is going on with football and concussions, I am surprised that the women would not be wearing head protection. My guess is that it will take a couple of terrible injuries before you see a mandate to protect their heads.

Women's game is odd. Should just play the men's game and call it tighter.

Hockey did not require helmets. When my son started playing baseball and got hit in the head, I put a facemask on his helmet. He did not like it, but over time I saw other parents do the same. Same for skiing. When my daughter started in the early 2000's I put a ski helmet on her when almost no other kids use them. Today, almost all kids have them and some slopes require them. If my daughter played lacrosse, she would use a helmet. Check data or whatever, but I wouldn't care about that as by the time that data is debated it may be too late. I am glad to see more fielding masks too in softball on the fields near us. Not as many as I would like to see (particularly on hot corners), but an increase overall.

It may not even be legal to use a helmet in women's lacrosse.

I don't know the rule for lacrosse, but could you have your daughter wear a helmet or is that against a league or uniform rule?
Sorry just saw this. I dont think its even allowable and Ive never seen it in two years on a single kid. Must have goggles, hair pulled back and a colored mouth piece and thats it. Girls are making passes and shooting on goal and the follow-through alone warrants a helmet imo. My daughter has never even expressed a desire to wear one. My opinion on helmets is purely my own and I played hockey and football growing up. These girls are coming of age and extremely body conscious. They dont want scars or stitches to the face and in my opinion its a matter of when not if. Furthermore, Im not advocating helmets because of checking because the reality is that helmets do little if anything to cease the the brain from stopping abruptly against its own cranium while floating in its own cerebral spinal fluid. I see the benefits of helmets to protect the face.

Last edited:
I've personally never seen or heard of a girl getting a facial injury in lacrosse.

I grew up in Baltimore. I've seen a lot of girls lacrosse and know many who have played. Outside of this thread I've even heard anyone talk about the subject.

Ive actually seen a large number of girls with facial injuries in lacrosse. I saw three in one game at the high school level (all 3 were girls taking sever shots to the face). It was two elite level teams playing so this was not out of control sticks.

My buddy does a lot of college and high school TV announcing for lacrosse and he was talking about this exact issue the other day. Said that the speed, and strength, of the girls game has increased so much that he sees injuries all the time that could be prevented with an equipment change.

Reactions: jreinsdorf
Ive actually seen a large number of girls with facial injuries in lacrosse. I saw three in one game at the high school level (all 3 were girls taking sever shots to the face). It was two elite level teams playing so this was not out of control sticks.

My buddy does a lot of college and high school TV announcing for lacrosse and he was talking about this exact issue the other day. Said that the speed, and strength, of the girls game has increased so much that he sees injuries all the time that could be prevented with an equipment change.
Agree that girls today have more speed and strength than as little as 20 years ago. Whether or not its legal may be an issue, but if so it is one that should be addressed sooner rather than after a major injury occurs to force that change. Gef, any push by High School coaches on this subject or is it a non-issue at this time?

Agree that girls today have more speed and strength than as little as 20 years ago. Whether or not its legal may be an issue, but if so it is one that should be addressed sooner rather than after a major injury occurs to force that change. Gef, any push by High School coaches on this subject or is it a non-issue at this time?

I have heard nothing from high school girls coaches about the issue. Honestly though I am not in any circles where girls coaches are really talking to hear anything.

I know the high school world has done a good job over the last 10 years on changing some contact rules and it reduced concussion by a significant number. Lacrosse is the first sport to significantly drop its concussion numbers (I think it was close to a 20% drop in that injury rate).

Met a former Rutgers Women's lacrosse player once and asked similar questions. She had multiple concussions playing the game and think it's silly they don't gear up as the men do. Said she would not let her daughters play lacrosse.

To me this is simple common sense. Kids swinging sticks = need facial protection. let me ask this question. If it is necessary to protect the eyes with a pair of goggles than why not the mouth, nose etc ?

No one has a daughter playing field hockey?
As I said earlier, I've seen broken noses, fingers and stitches way to much.

zap my 10yr old founds hoops and is excelling at that. She's trained by Joyce Buckhead ex RU player and a little by Carol Blazejowski.. My neighbor before she moved to coach CT Sun was Anne Donovan. I was hoping to bring her up to Sun game and get her on the floor before the game with the players but looks like she either quit or got the axe as she is no longer coaching the Sun

Just as there are too many modern moms saying their boys can't play football, there should be more modern dads insisting their girls not play lacrosse. Or Hockey.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT