ADVERTISEMENT

Laviano

Given how poorly prepared Laviano seemed to be sometimes, I think he did a good job. If he looked lost I put that on the coaches. Then again I played at Cornell and had my bell rung a few times and looked thoroughly lost LOL
He certainly took some hits.

I will never EVER boo an RU player.

Not that he drank alcohol, but he did it days before the first game with a phony ID, THATs the difference. If it occured in June, nobody cares much, But 2 days before the first game, HIS first start, yeah that's a symptom of an awful decision or doesn't give a crap. And then he doubles down on that bad decision when in front of a camera during a presser he acts like he's getting a bad rap. He comes across as a miserable SOB.
It's fair to critique him for his decision making because those decisions affect the whole team. And he's supposed to be a leader of the team. So he made a mistake. He didn't repeat it for the rest of the season or to date, so far as we know, though, right? So he's a kid that screwed up in a not overly horrific way; he was penalized and then he learned his lesson (we hope).

Like I said though, his play is really all that matters to me. It would be great if he dealt with the media and the public better, sure. But it's not like I'm going to wish him harm because he's not great at that.

Reactions: DenBoy and Abro1975
I think he's a flippant punk for that #findanotherteam bull$hit he pulled. He basically said FU to everybody that wanted Flood and his staff removed, for good reasons.

I don't think his behavior should be viewed as moxie. It reeks of entitlement. It reminds me of that punkass interview Gary Turnova did after that crappy game he had the year before.

Reactions: RUScrew85
If Laviano starts and wins they will change their tune, probably after convincing themselves that Ash made him a better QB.
I sure as hell hope Mehringer/Ash make him a better QB this year through scheme and technique. I have no idea what you watched last year but Laviano was light years away from a polished QB. His completion % is very miss leading. He struggled with accuracy as receivers had to constantly adjust to his ball causing little to no YAC's. And these were safe check down passes of 5 to 7 yds. that he struggled with. His arm strength also lacked as his screen passes took forever to arrive and were blown up upon reception. So yeah, I sure hope I convince myself that Mehringer/Ash made him a better QB this year. Or it's going to be a long year.

Yeah, OK to drink underage. A little breaking and entering is OK too.

Yeah, OK to drink underage. A little breaking and entering is OK too.
You equate the two? You think Laviano drinking is the same as the players who were breaking and entering?

Grrrrrr. The stupid drinking age pisses me off. :mad:

I have an idea. Let's raise the drinking age to 30. I mean, raising the drinking age to 21 saves lives, right? So we'll save even more lives if we just keep raising it, right?

We're having lots of success at slowing the rate of maturation for most kids. Why not slow it up some more? Because kids are soooo fragile and helpless at 16.

I mean sure, at 16 most kids in the country are trusted to operate a 2+ ton machine in close proximity to other 2+ ton machines at 75mph while carrying other kids in the machine with them. And sure, at 18 they can go die for their country. But, gasp, have a drink of alcohol? Oh, the humanity! Oh, the horror!

The drinking age is stupid. It's a law that is routinely broken by a majority of kids in HS.

Last edited:
I sure as hell hope Mehringer/Ash make him a better QB this year through scheme and technique. I have no idea what you watched last year but Laviano was light years away from a polished QB. His completion % is very miss leading. He struggled with accuracy as receivers had to constantly adjust to his ball causing little to no YAC's. And these were safe check down passes of 5 to 7 yds. that he struggled with. His arm strength also lacked as his screen passes took forever to arrive and were blown up upon reception. So yeah, I sure hope I convince myself that Mehringer/Ash made him a better QB this year. Or it's going to be a long year.

I am not suggesting that Laviano was good last year at all my point was, and is, that there are many posters who are so hateful of Flood that if Laviano is successful this year, and I hope he is especially if he is the starter, they will give him no credit and give it all to Ash simply because they can't stand Flood. I did not mention Meringer because the Laviano/Flood haters blamed it all on the HC and rarely mentioned Rossi's role in it.

But. But. But... But the fans DO know more than the coaching staff. Otherwise, how could we know who the best QB or other players are just by watching games alone? The coaching staff has to watch all those practices and spend all that time in meeting rooms w/the players. And they still get it all wrong.

Have you ever played for a coach that put too much weight in how someone performs in practice? I have. And that's what it looked like to me last year. No matter how poorly he played in a game, the job was never in doubt.

It's one thing to win the job. It's another to prove you've earned it. Maybe Laviano is the right guy, maybe not. But Flood SCREWED THINGS UP by never letting Rettig see the field while the game could still be won. If he had -- and Rettig showed that Laviano was clearly the better choice -- these discussions would have ended.

Reactions: RUsSKii
I want to start by saying I have no idea who the right QB for RU should be - or any other position, for that matter - especially not at this stage of the season.

But to answer your question as to why people on this Board are so down on Laviano: Because fans on message boards always know more than head and assistant coaches for college and probably even professional football teams, especially because fans have the benefit of never seeing practices.

Of course this also applies to any position on the field: The fans always know more.

Well said Jellyman, as usual.
Laviano showed some promise and potential last year, considering he was a first year starter and the OL was overmatched against the better B1G teams. He also had the disadvantage of playing from behind against most B1G opponents due to our defensive struggles.

I am not suggesting that Laviano was good last year at all my point was, and is, that there are many posters who are so hateful of Flood that if Laviano is successful this year, and I hope he is especially if he is the starter, they will give him no credit and give it all to Ash simply because they can't stand Flood. I did not mention Meringer because the Laviano/Flood haters blamed it all on the HC and rarely mentioned Rossi's role in it.
I understand your point. however I think you mean McDaniels if we're talking offense here. But Rossi's role on the defense definitely played a big part in the demise of our football team. He was simply overmatched in every aspect. However, the man in charge was the one who gave these gentlemen their jobs. So the onus eventually falls on him for placing them in these positions.

The booing thing is so over hyped. Players need to grow up. If you played high school football at a high level, you got booed. I played for Westwood, we went 11-1 my senior year losing 7-6 in the state championship game and I can assure you, when we messed up, the fans most of whom were our family and friends, booed. That's what fans do at sporting events when their team messes up. This no booing thing seems to be an extension of the give everyone a trophy for everything crowd.

Highly unlikely that Westwood fans, or any town for that matter, who are friends or family boo their team. Sounds like you are saying anything to try and make your point about booing. And just because fans boo college players doesn't make it right or helpful to the player(s).

Reactions: vkj91
I understand your point. however I think you mean McDaniels if we're talking offense here. But Rossi's role on the defense definitely played a big part in the demise of our football team. He was simply overmatched in every aspect. However, the man in charge was the one who gave these gentlemen their jobs. So the onus eventually falls on him for placing them in these positions.

I stand corrected about the OC, my fault. But I am a little confused bybthe number of people that hate Flood so much that they are almost rooting against Laviano simply because of Flood. Makes no sense to me. If Laviano is the best QB then so be it.

Have you ever played for a coach that put too much weight in how someone performs in practice? I have. And that's what it looked like to me last year. No matter how poorly he played in a game, the job was never in doubt.

It's one thing to win the job. It's another to prove you've earned it. Maybe Laviano is the right guy, maybe not. But Flood SCREWED THINGS UP by never letting Rettig see the field while the game could still be won. If he had -- and Rettig showed that Laviano was clearly the better choice -- these discussions would have ended.
How do you know you played for a coach that put too much weight on how someone performed in practice? Seems like a pretty subjective thing to judge. I don't like absolutes, but in general, in my experience coaching soccer for a long time across all age groups up through high-school, while some players turn it up some in games, players invariably play in games the way they practice. You might see a player practice at some small percentage of lower performance than their peak. But you NEVER see a player that is screwing up in practice all the time regularly play great in games.

Coaches themselves sometimes disagree about who to play. Winning and losing is the only real objective measurement. And I don't care who we played last season, we were probably not going to win the games we lost.

The problem with all this speculation and finger pointing is that we don't know what we don't know. We don't know if Rettig couldn't memorize the playbook. We don't know if Rettig kept putting the ball on the ground in practice. We don't know if Rettig demonstrated a tendency to overthrow receivers constantly in practice.

Maybe Rettig was just a smidge worse than Laviano in practice. If that were true, than yeah, Flood should've given Rettig more play time in games. But I don't know that's how it was.

There's only so much that a coach can ignore when choosing who to play. I'll agree that it APPEARS like Flood was stubborn about not giving Rettig more playing time. But absent all the information the coaching staff had, I'm not about to state anything definitive about what happened. Maybe it was coaching stubbornness. Or maybe there were good reasons to not play Rettig.

Given what is undeniably too little information, I'll trust that the coaches, who had considerable motivation to make the right choices, choose correctly personnel-wise.

Reactions: Loyal-Son

Perhaps the coaching staff saw footwork issues from Rettig in practice that were similar to what he did at the end of the Wisconsin game and was hesitant to ever insert him earlier . Maybe this was a one time occurrence, but it did not inspire a lot of confidence in his mobility in the pocket... and the luxury of time was not something our QB's had. If my backup QB had a problem staying on his feet without being touched I would not be inclined to move him ahead of the starter.

Last edited:
LAST YEAR IS OVER. This staff will coach these guys up and the best QB will be in each game. It may be the same guy each week it may be different based on situations. Whatever, it has to be better than last year.

Reactions: jerzey devil
Perhaps the coaching staff saw footwork issues from Rettig in practice that were similar to what he did at the end of the Wisconsin game and was hesitant to ever insert him earlier . Maybe this was a one time occurrence, but it did not inspire a lot of confidence in his mobility in the pocket... and the luxury of time was not something our QB's had. If my backup QB had a problem staying on his feet without being touched I would not be inclined to move him ahead of the starter. see 2:07:28 in the video (2:01 left on the game clock )

Just to play Devil's Advocate here. How about after I don't know the 14th or 15th fumbled snap maybe the coaching staff would have become hesitant to insert a QB with clear handling issues. This surely wasn't a one time occurrence and his handling of the simplest exchange didn't inspire confidence. If my starting QB had a problem with handling a simple exchange without being touched I would be inclined to move him in back of my backup. You can't simply pick out one clip and say see he trips over his own feet, I can't understand how the man even walks.[eyeroll]

Reactions: RUsSKii
Why are people so down on Laviano? If you were told you had a QB that was ranked 5th in the conference as a first time starter returning, wouldn't you be more excited about him for the following season? I am not looking to start a discussion on who should start just why some people don't want Laviano anywhere near the starting position.
Why are people so down on Laviano? If you were told you had a QB that was ranked 5th in the conference as a first time starter returning, wouldn't you be more excited about him for the following season? I am not looking to start a discussion on who should start just why some people don't want Laviano anywhere near the starting position.
Did you not see the antics last year and his play?

I wonder if this endless debate about whether Laviano or Rettig should be the starter will finally end if, come September, Laviano is named the #1 QB, Gio is named the #2 and Rettig is #3?

Considering Gio and Rettig "shared" reps with the 2's in Saturdays scrimmage, I wouldn't be shocked if that happened.

Two part answer:

Chris Laviano Game By Game Stats

Season:
2015 GAME LOG PASSING RUSHING QBR
DATE OPP RESULT CMP ATT YDS CMP% LNG TD INT RAT ATT YDS AVG LNG TD RAW QBR ADJ QBR
9/5 Norfolk State W 63-13 4 4 138 100.0 56 3 0 637.3 0 0 0.0 0 0 100.0 100.0
9/12 Washington State L 37-34 23 29 204 79.3 20 1 1 142.9 5 2 0.4 8 0 46.6 46.2
9/19 @Penn State L 28-3 27 42 251 64.3 30 0 2 105.0 9 -37 -4.1 7 0 28.5 52.8
9/26 Kansas W 27-14 18 25 201 72.0 25 2 2 149.9 8 44 5.5 14 0 76.5 64.1
10/10 Michigan State L 31-24 15 24 208 62.5 39 3 0 176.6 6 -31 -5.2 5 0 69.1 82.7
10/17 @Indiana W 55-52 28 42 386 66.7 58 3 1 162.7 6 2 0.3 7 0 69.6 62.2
10/24 Ohio State L 49-7 10 20 117 50.0 33 0 1 89.1 4 -12 -3.0 4 0 20.7 40.6
10/31 @Wisconsin L 48-10 4 14 31 28.6 10 0 1 32.9 5 -20 -4.0 3 0 2.7 7.0
11/7 @Michigan L 49-16 11 26 97 42.3 22 0 1 66.0 8 9 1.1 11 0 9.3 21.5
11/14 Nebraska L 31-14 13 27 165 48.1 40 0 2 84.7 13 3 0.2 13 0 14.6 12.3
11/21 @Army W 31-21 13 21 105 61.9 21 0 0 103.9 1 2 2.0 2 0 49.4 33.3

11/28 Maryland L 46-41 21 33 344 63.6 50 4 1 185.1 0 0 0.0 0 0 92.9 92.2

Reason #1: Five game span: 51-108, 515 yards, 0 TD, 5 INT, 31 rushes, -18 yards (longest rush = 13 yards).

Reason #2, after the Maryland game when the booing occurred, from a Dunleavy story: He (Laviano) posted a photo of himself with Flood and offensive coordinator Ben McDaniels to his Instagram on Saturday night. The accompanying message reads, "We're here to stay and don't give a **** about u ... Players, coaches, I love em all. #findanotherteam."

Until he publicly apologizes for that statement, he will have a very hard time winning back a portion of the fan base.

Ding Ding

Two part answer:

Chris Laviano Game By Game Stats

Season:
2015 GAME LOG PASSING RUSHING QBR
DATE OPP RESULT CMP ATT YDS CMP% LNG TD INT RAT ATT YDS AVG LNG TD RAW QBR ADJ QBR
9/5 Norfolk State W 63-13 4 4 138 100.0 56 3 0 637.3 0 0 0.0 0 0 100.0 100.0
9/12 Washington State L 37-34 23 29 204 79.3 20 1 1 142.9 5 2 0.4 8 0 46.6 46.2
9/19 @Penn State L 28-3 27 42 251 64.3 30 0 2 105.0 9 -37 -4.1 7 0 28.5 52.8
9/26 Kansas W 27-14 18 25 201 72.0 25 2 2 149.9 8 44 5.5 14 0 76.5 64.1
10/10 Michigan State L 31-24 15 24 208 62.5 39 3 0 176.6 6 -31 -5.2 5 0 69.1 82.7
10/17 @Indiana W 55-52 28 42 386 66.7 58 3 1 162.7 6 2 0.3 7 0 69.6 62.2
10/24 Ohio State L 49-7 10 20 117 50.0 33 0 1 89.1 4 -12 -3.0 4 0 20.7 40.6
10/31 @Wisconsin L 48-10 4 14 31 28.6 10 0 1 32.9 5 -20 -4.0 3 0 2.7 7.0
11/7 @Michigan L 49-16 11 26 97 42.3 22 0 1 66.0 8 9 1.1 11 0 9.3 21.5
11/14 Nebraska L 31-14 13 27 165 48.1 40 0 2 84.7 13 3 0.2 13 0 14.6 12.3
11/21 @Army W 31-21 13 21 105 61.9 21 0 0 103.9 1 2 2.0 2 0 49.4 33.3

11/28 Maryland L 46-41 21 33 344 63.6 50 4 1 185.1 0 0 0.0 0 0 92.9 92.2

Reason #1: Five game span: 51-108, 515 yards, 0 TD, 5 INT, 31 rushes, -18 yards (longest rush = 13 yards).

Reason #2, after the Maryland game when the booing occurred, from a Dunleavy story: He (Laviano) posted a photo of himself with Flood and offensive coordinator Ben McDaniels to his Instagram on Saturday night. The accompanying message reads, "We're here to stay and don't give a **** about u ... Players, coaches, I love em all. #findanotherteam."

Until he publicly apologizes for that statement, he will have a very hard time winning back a portion of the fan base.

Kid does not owe an apology for publicly standing up for his coaches...He should be comended for doing what a leader should do..Even when knowing it wasn't going to be very popular to the mob screaming for Floods head...

Grrrrrr. The stupid drinking age pisses me off. :mad:

I have an idea. Let's raise the drinking age to 30. I mean, raising the drinking age to 21 saves lives, right? So we'll save even more lives if we just keep raising it, right?

I mean sure, at 16 most kids in the country are trusted to operate a 2+ ton machine in close proximity to other 2+ ton machines at 75mph while carrying other kids in the machine with them. And sure, at 18 they can go die for their country. But, gasp, have a drink of alcohol? Oh, the humanity! Oh, the horror!
I'm in complete agreement with you on this - I've always thought raising the drinking age was a stupid idea. And it was forced down the individual states' throats by the federal government threatening to withhold federal highway tax dollars. I've always argued that it's better for kids to be in a controlled environment where they learn how to deal with alcohol than as a completely unfettered adult. I was in college when the drinking age changed, and we went from having dorm and apartment parties with alcohol to off-campus parties with alcohol. And how did most people get to those off-campus parties? They drove. Yeah, that was much safer.
I wonder if this endless debate about whether Laviano or Rettig should be the starter will finally end if, come September, Laviano is named the #1 QB, Gio is named the #2 and Rettig is #3?

Considering Gio and Rettig "shared" reps with the 2's in Saturdays scrimmage, I wouldn't be shocked if that happened.
And that's quite possible given that Rescigno is more mobile than both of them.
Kid does not owe an apology for publicly standing up for his coaches...He should be comended for doing what a leader should do..Even when knowing it wasn't going to be very popular to the mob screaming for Floods head...
Yep, maybe he shouldn't have posted that, but he doesn't owe an apology. And there are a few "fans" who I wish would take the #findanotherteam to heart.

I'm in complete agreement with you on this - I've always thought raising the drinking age was a stupid idea. And it was forced down the individual states' throats by the federal government threatening to withhold federal highway tax dollars. I've always argued that it's better for kids to be in a controlled environment where they learn how to deal with alcohol than as a completely unfettered adult. I was in college when the drinking age changed, and we went from having dorm and apartment parties with alcohol to off-campus parties with alcohol. And how did most people get to those off-campus parties? They drove. Yeah, that was much safer.

And that's quite possible given that Rescigno is more mobile than both of them.

Yep, maybe he shouldn't have posted that, but he doesn't owe an apology. And there are a few "fans" who I wish would take the #findanotherteam to heart.
From a moderator? :scream::cop::alien:[banana]

The booing thing is so over hyped. Players need to grow up. If you played high school football at a high level, you got booed. I played for Westwood, we went 11-1 my senior year losing 7-6 in the state championship game and I can assure you, when we messed up, the fans most of whom were our family and friends, booed. That's what fans do at sporting events when their team messes up. This no booing thing seems to be an extension of the give everyone a trophy for everything crowd.

Highly unlikely that Westwood fans, or any town for that matter, who are friends or family boo their team. Sounds like you are saying anything to try and make your point about booing. And just because fans boo college players doesn't make it right or helpful to the player(s).

I am from Westwood and I never hear booing at any game. But your point of trying to justify your crude, classless display of selfishness by saying you heard it at a HS game so it is OK at a college game, is stooping too low. Do you boo your wife when she does not preform or you child at a school play gets booed, you will sit there and say it is OK. then you should boo. but If the last two examples disturb you (and they should) then think twice before opening your crude mouth.
There is no place for booing any college event. like stated above it is a grenade, striking everyone. And it is a very poor reflection on our school, (booing Navy when they came onto the field classless) show some class and be above the low life trash that feel it is their right to be such unprincipled degenerates.
Did you graduate from Rutgers as it was accepted that you are of Gentlemen status with a college degree.
Be the Gentleman of class and respond accordingly. leave the low life booing to the uneducated, low lifes from the other side of the railroad track in Westwood.

I think the answer is 2 fold.

1)Rettig was the popular choice from the get go last season.

&

2)Flood's insistence on sticking with Laviano, despite his and the teams struggles built frustration from the fan base. That frustration has led some fans to resent Laviano.

I wasn't even aware of that tweet. I had tuned out by that point, but ya that will only help compound the resentment.

Did you not see the antics last year and his play?

I am not saying he played well all season, but he did show some good things. I am not saying that Laviano is going to lead Rutgers to 10 wins just I would think people would be a little more optimistic about him since he did show some potential. If people don't like him because Flood chose him as the starter and never took him out then they should grow up.

Reactions: Dpgru
Perhaps the coaching staff saw footwork issues from Rettig in practice that were similar to what he did at the end of the Wisconsin game and was hesitant to ever insert him earlier . Maybe this was a one time occurrence, but it did not inspire a lot of confidence in his mobility in the pocket... and the luxury of time was not something our QB's had. If my backup QB had a problem staying on his feet without being touched I would not be inclined to move him ahead of the starter.
But several fumbled snaps never bothered you, coach?

Once Caroo got hurt he was lost. Teams used 8 man fronts with tight coverage and challenged him to go deep and he couldn't throw a deep pass.

Except to Carroo you mean. Other receivers were apparently not getting separation so he chose the check down. 8 man fronts a tight coverage also leads to no time to pass. Did you watch the games?

Bottom line - I just want whoever is better to play, but:

- without the ability to chuck it down to Caroo, Laviano is not ranked 5th in the conference by any means.
- the number of TD drives Laviano lead without Caroo in two games was very low.
- Rettig basically never played with Caroo in the game, yet performed admirably with the time he got
- Rettig led our only TD drive against OSU, when Laviano looked terrible.

i'm by no means saying this is basis for a decision - simply that with these facts and the absolutely horrid play we had during our 4 game streak of misery, i still can't believe he wasn't given a fair shot during any time of meaning.

no matter how good he may have looked in practice, to me, Laviano looked lost without Caroo.

whoever is behind center this year has to do it without Caroo, and in my eyes, only one QB has shown any promise at being able to do so in a game.

Bottom line - I just want whoever is better to play, but:

- without the ability to chuck it down to Caroo, Laviano is not ranked 5th in the conference by any means.
- the number of TD drives Laviano lead without Caroo in two games was very low.
- Rettig basically never played with Caroo in the game, yet performed admirably with the time he got
- Rettig led our only TD drive against OSU, when Laviano looked terrible.

i'm by no means saying this is basis for a decision - simply that with these facts and the absolutely horrid play we had during our 4 game streak of misery, i still can't believe he wasn't given a fair shot during any time of meaning.

no matter how good he may have looked in practice, to me, Laviano looked lost without Caroo.

whoever is behind center this year has to do it without Caroo, and in my eyes, only one QB has shown any promise at being able to do so in a game.

So you take away a QB's best weapon and he struggles? That happens to NFL QB's,

This whole thread is nonsense.

New season, new staff, players have new life.

We may have to wait for the best QB to make his appearance this Summer, LOL.

Yeah, that makes sense...maybe some of these kids should try to play at a high level high school...:flushed:

So, with my boy, his team went 1-11 in his Senior year and I never heard a single boo...

To those of you who are comparing Laviano's and Rettig's stats from last year please stop. It was a pro style offense with it's best receiver out most of the year with a different coach who ran against an 8man front all the time because he believed in establishing the run before he did anything else. It has no relevance to this year at all.

From the recent Ledger article, it seems our defensive line was operating with the biggest stud out and the second and third guy both nursing injuries that greatly impacted the quality of their play. Every projected defensive backfield starter was out, so coach Rossi was clearly operating with a personnel handicap last year. Injuries are a part of the game, but there are not many coaches who are the kind of miracle workers who can maintain the same kind of production from a squad that in essence is working with 70% of a squad being severely limited or gone. Anyone who has coached or played at any level knows that.

I am delighted with the new staff, so I am not complaining at all about the changes. IMO it is likely that Coach Rossi might have done much better if the deck was not stacked so steeply against him, but I believe the new staff will be an upgrade in any case - because of their backgrounds.

Or he might not have done better. I don't pretend to know for sure.

Sometimes a person is as much a victim of circumstances as he is a victim of his own shortcomings. I do not know if this was the case last year or not, but there is no way I am going to definitively exclaim that Coach Rossi was incapable of doing a good job given better circumstances - totally unfair IMO.

I remember hearing good thing about him from a former player's parents, and that is enough for me to show him some respect and not resort to what I consider to be ignorant bashing.

I don't expect to change any minds, because people believe what they want to believe. It is what it is, and I wish Coach Rossi the best. He seems like a stand-up guy.

Reactions: Bill 86 and Dpgru
From the recent Ledger article, it seems our defensive line was operating with the biggest stud out and the second and third guy both nursing injuries that greatly impacted the quality of their play. Every projected defensive backfield starter was out, so coach Rossi was clearly operating with a personnel handicap last year. Injuries are a part of the game, but there are not many coaches who are the kind of miracle workers who can maintain the same kind of production from a squad that in essence is working with 70% of a squad being severely limited or gone. Anyone who has coached or played at any level knows that.

I am delighted with the new staff, so I am not complaining at all about the changes. IMO it is likely that Coach Rossi might have done much better if the deck was not stacked so steeply against him, but I believe the new staff will be an upgrade in any case - because of their backgrounds.

Sometimes a person is as much a victim of circumstances as he is a victim of his own shortcomings. I do not know if this was the case last year or not, but there is no way I am going to definitively exclaim that Coach Rossi was incapable of doing a good job given better circumstances - totally unfair IMO.

I remember hearing good thing about him from a former player's parents, and that is enough for me to show him some respect and not resort to what I consider to be ignorant bashing.

I don't expect to change any minds, because people believe what they want to believe. It is what it is, and I wish Coach Rossi the best. He seems like a stand-up guy.
Listen I'm just going by simple techniques and schemes when critiquing his units play. I could careless who the guy is personally, he could be a smug asshat or a stand-up guy. That's not what I'm critiquing here, merely his job performance. I'm not attacking his personnel life here. I think you are confusing the two.

As for his job performance one example is our DB play. I have never seen or seen anybody(in person) be taught to line up on the inside shoulder of the WR angled in towards the ball looking at the QB. Safties lined up 12 to 15 yds. off the ball then upon snap of the ball backpedal another 4 to 5 yds. Blitzing, the Dline never worked with the Blitzers to open up holes. It's as if each unit was a separate entity working on it's own. Many of those Blitzes were two guys through one hole. Stop one you stop both. Look I played the game through college on a lower level a long time ago and have a friend who coaches in college. We both came to the conclusion while I was visiting him that we really weren't quite sure what we were trying to do on defense.

I'm sorry if you are offended but he led the 112th ranked defense out of 127 teams and his defense the year before didn't fair any better. Actually it's been in a steep decline since he took over, not a one year trend like you suggest. I'm glad that a players parent was pleased with him but his job performance dictates that he was overmatched at this level. That doesn't mean that he can't be a great guy in his personnel life.

Last edited:

Good post.

I think one of the key things that must be improved, for RU to be competitive in the Big Ten, is that we must have a lot more depth across all position groups. Kind of a captain Obvious thing to say, I know. Anyway, recruiting plays a huge role here. But coaching can make a big difference too. In order to recruit better, we have to win. In order to win without recruiting better, we need our coaching staff to work near-miracles with less talented players to coach them to a point where we have enough depth to survive lots of injuries among starters. We also need to out-scheme some coaches on game-day, which is a big ask.

We played Michigan State pretty close last season. Turns out, they had a bunch of injuries to their starters in that game. A bad game for them. So for sure, injuries can hobble even really good teams. But they also went on to beat some pretty good teams last season, so they were able to recover much more quickly. We need to be more like that.

We have to build our depth so that injuries are less destructive and so that losing great players to graduation and/or the NFL doesn't require a complete reboot of the team. This will take time, but hopefully we see some signs of it this season, perhaps by being a bit closer in some of our losses to the powerhouse teams in the Big Ten East.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT