ADVERTISEMENT

Let's Play ASU OOC

rutgersal

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 7, 2001
Playing in Arizona was the greatest Rutgers Bowl experience ever. Hope we get another chance to play them.

What's in it for us? Flying cross country to play a team that will be favored against us. We don't recruit Arizona therefore the exposure value is nil. Let's schedule someone from the east coast of equal talent and where our fans can drive to.

I am in for ASU but....
- they are not the same kind of name for TV as a UCLA is. If we continue trying to schedule P12 teams once a year it does make sense
- as mentioned, playing former Big East rivals can make for nice drivable games and potentially nice neutral site games (ie. Playing Pitt in Philly, Playing Va Tech in Baltimore / DC, or playing Cuse in Gillette Stadium)
- I am not sure if the recruiting angle is as big a deal since all the games are on TV. We still get kids from FL although we aren't playing there as much anymore.

The big issue is the 9 game B10 schedule where we only have 3 OOC games.
- 9 B10 games
- 1 bought win game (ie. FCS or low FBS)
- 1 bought winnable FBS game (MAC type team)
- 1 Power 5 game (has been against P12 teams recently)

And remember the 9 B10 games includes Mich, PSU, and Ohio St which have been games we had little chance to win the past 2 years. Throw in a Nebraska or Wisconsin every 2 - 3 years and that is a 4th game we would be favored to lose. Then Mich St has been pretty good which can be a 5th likely loss. the path to bowl eligibility is very tough with the current scheduling formula.

Insight Bowl and staying in Scottsdale were awesome. So much to do out there. Of course the feeling may be different if we play them in early September as opposed to December.

I think we should schedule Monmouth instead.

Schedule ASU. Contract must state that it is only valid as long as Herm Edwards is ASU coach, otherwise cancelled with no penalty.

I am in for ASU but....
- they are not the same kind of name for TV as a UCLA is. If we continue trying to schedule P12 teams once a year it does make sense
- as mentioned, playing former Big East rivals can make for nice drivable games and potentially nice neutral site games (ie. Playing Pitt in Philly, Playing Va Tech in Baltimore / DC, or playing Cuse in Gillette Stadium)
- I am not sure if the recruiting angle is as big a deal since all the games are on TV. We still get kids from FL although we aren't playing there as much anymore.

The big issue is the 9 game B10 schedule where we only have 3 OOC games.
- 9 B10 games
- 1 bought win game (ie. FCS or low FBS)
- 1 bought winnable FBS game (MAC type team)
- 1 Power 5 game (has been against P12 teams recently)

And remember the 9 B10 games includes Mich, PSU, and Ohio St which have been games we had little chance to win the past 2 years. Throw in a Nebraska or Wisconsin every 2 - 3 years and that is a 4th game we would be favored to lose. Then Mich St has been pretty good which can be a 5th likely loss. the path to bowl eligibility is very tough with the current scheduling formula.

You really like to complicate things. Pretty simple: The B1G and Pac-12 WANT more and more regular season matchups, hence, this has possibilities. That's all! [thumb2]

Oh then there's the "it doesn't matter if it's Sept, Oct, Nov, or Dec "factor:"

asu_main.jpg

asu6.jpg

ArizonaSt5.jpeg

Reactions: rutgersal
personally, i love west coast games.........

but, other than UCLA.... I think there will be very few (if any) games West of Lincoln, NE anytime soon........

Ash has no love for long travel games............. (rightly so)........

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT