ADVERTISEMENT

Caleb Williams offered $1M to play for Eastern Michigan (Via Charlie Batch)

Ash_Hole

Junior
Sep 8, 2019
“Retired NFL player offers Oklahoma QB $1 million NIL deal to play for his alma mater”

In a new era of NIL deals, Charlie Batch’s company just offered Oklahoma QB Caleb Williams $1M to play for his alma mater, Eastern Michigan.

I know this is scary for the traditional football we know and love — but I also see Rutgers being able to lean into these opportunities much better than most programs.

New York market, so many Fortune 100 companies, biggest advertising firms in the world all within an hour. Many wealthy alumni too, who might get behind a winner if we ever got there. And a coach-CEO who has broadcasting and NFL experience, who knows how to brand better than most.

For example… in light of Jersey Mike’s naming rights deal for the RAC, would they consider deals like this in future?

It also makes you wonder how a team like our gator bowl opponent, Wake Forest, could keep up in future of NCAA free agency…

At Rutgers I don’t see this happening though we do have some very wealthy alums . As a major university we still are not fully accepted by the state of New Jersey and those in charge. Now could this change ? It possibly could however my concerns rest with today’s uncertain business climate and the direction of education throughout the country. Does Rutgers continue to spend or does it stagnate going forward. Nobody wants or enjoys Rutgers in total more than us. There is great hope RU will be able to continue on the upward trend but much depends upon the money inflow .

“Retired NFL player offers Oklahoma QB $1 million NIL deal to play for his alma mater”

In a new era of NIL deals, Charlie Batch’s company just offered Oklahoma QB Caleb Williams $1M to play for his alma mater, Eastern Michigan.

I wonder what is in the contract terms if he took the $1m.
This NIL has the potential to be a very bad situation for some unsuspecting kids....but good for lawyers.
Does anyone know what is the NCAA rules on hiring lawyer/agent with these NIL agreement.

I wonder what is in the contract terms if he took the $1m.
This NIL has the potential to be a very bad situation for some unsuspecting kids....but good for lawyers.
Does anyone know what is the NCAA rules on hiring lawyer/agent with these NIL agreement.
It’s one year and a publicity stunt. They’ve gotten millions in “free ads” from this

I mentioned this in the transfer thread the other day. Not even sure it's legal to openly campaign like that. You can say generic things like NIL opportunities here are great etc...but not sure you can be so specific about it like this. I'm sure they talk about specifics to the players (not suppose to I think) but not sure that they're allowed to do it in the open on twitter like this. I doubt there will be much enforcement though.

Last edited:
At Rutgers I don’t see this happening though we do have some very wealthy alums .
Is this real or imagined? I think mean and median salaries for the Rutgers alumni community will be fairly high compared nationwide, but it’s commensurate with the higher cost of living. We have not a one billionaire alumnus/alumna that I’m aware of (Bernie doesn’t count). Most of our multi-millionaire benefactors have tens of millions, but not hundreds. Our NFL alums with maybe the exception of Devin aren’t very rich either.

Is this real or imagined? I think mean and median salaries for the Rutgers alumni community will be fairly high compared nationwide, but it’s commensurate with the higher cost of living. We have not a one billionaire alumnus/alumna that I’m aware of (Bernie doesn’t count). Most of our multi-millionaire benefactors have tens of millions, but not hundreds. Our NFL alums with maybe the exception of Devin aren’t very rich either.
Don’t know that he’s likely to donate, but Bernard Marcus, the co-founder of Home Depot is a Rutgers alum and is a billionaire. There are others as well, some are here https://moneyinc.com/most-notable-rutgers-university-alumni-in-business/

How about our Rutgers Alumni who are/have been heads of Conagra, Ford, ESPN, etc.

Reactions: RUBOB72
IKZsSfW.gif

Reactions: rurichdog
Did I say billionaires ? Don’t think I did but... we do have some very wealthy alums. My point was , even if we had a Boone Pickens or other, the mindset of Rutgers past still carry’s a negative vibe toward competitive big time sports. We do live in a high taxed state ... an expensive area of the country … we also as a population make more. Inflation will hurt all areas of the country. The other part of this is how do we as a state support Rutgers future endeavors and vision. Last I heard we are far down as a state in facilities support and that s where the issue still is in 2022 . There are those who support us in state and others for reasons they keep hushed do not wish the sports side of Rutgers to succeed. Private business is key for the Build and also these student athletes we recruit to come here. Rutgers is a great school though it could be better with better alumni support financially and some real state pride . Not the fake “ I support Rutgers Rutgers “ crowd . There are plenty of those as we all know.

Just another example of "the rich getting richer".

NIL truly only benefits the blue-bloods...like....Eastern Michigan.

No way NIL could ever benefit a lowly P5 school like Rutgers against the elites of college football like Eastern Michigan.

Reactions: fsg2
Caleb Williams will get more from perennial power team. This was a great PR stunt by Charlie Batch though.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
Case in point . Let Kofi get his 25 then you need to stop giving up the soft points …open treys …back door open lanes. Pike does pride himself on D or so he says. We will see in the next several games on the road if we can hold serve against teams we can or should be competitive and beat. We can’t take those 3 losses against OOC opponents away however it should act as a motivator for what looks like a team learning how to play team basketball .

Did I say billionaires ? Don’t think I did but... we do have some very wealthy alums. My point was , even if we had a Boone Pickens or other, the mindset of Rutgers past still carry’s a negative vibe toward competitive big time sports. We do live in a high taxed state ... an expensive area of the country … we also as a population make more.
You don’t have to have billionnaire alums, but those who are truly rich have more disposable income to make a difference in the age of NIL. Greg Brown’s done a huge amount for Rutgers and R Athletics, but at the end of the day, he’s likely worth well less than 100MM. A guy like that can put up 2.5MM for a recruiting lounge, but he doesn’t have enough to turn around a throw 1MM each to a few high school kids each year. For a school with billionaire alums or let’s say 2-3-500MM, that’s not a huge deal.

Reactions: RUBOB72
Don’t know that he’s likely to donate, but Bernard Marcus, the co-founder of Home Depot is a Rutgers alum and is a billionaire. There are others as well, some are here https://moneyinc.com/most-notable-rutgers-university-alumni-in-business/
Bernie attended Rutgers Newark before the Pharmacy school moved to NB. Ernest Mario has donated more to the Pharmacy School (hence Mario’s name is on it) that Bernie graduated from. Bernie is a great philanthropist, but his interests don’t align with Rutgers

Reactions: Phi_1055
We do have many millionaire alums and fans who do support Rutgers almost religiously. In this regard we have hundreds if not several thousands of wealthy people who support or give $$$$ not only to our sports programs but to academics and the arts for which we are known . The main non supporter for the most part is sadly and always for the most part been our STATE…. What we see is often less than many other not as affluent states dole out for especially high tier sports programs. We are still fighting the past attitudes of administrators and government elected officials. Perhaps we will see change as our sports programs grow and they should.

Translation. It will be harder for us to cheat now that everyone can openly cheat.
I've mentioned this before. Theoretically, yea NIL can open it up for lower status schools to move up but in practice no. If you didn't have the same money for coaches/facilities etc..before, you still don't have the money for NIL deals etc now. It's just more of the same.

What it can do is widen the pool of talent near the top. Texas and A&M and others willing to spend big money can amass top notch talent more than they were before. Hopefully it would keep it from going to say 1-3 programs to maybe now 7-12 programs. It's still top heavy but slightly less. NFL aspirations is still a lure for Saban and other coaches who can help fulfill them, regardless of NIL.

Reactions: eddynyse
Remember folks this is all about equality in college athletics!
Of course the rich will continue to get richer.
So eastern Michigan can attempt to get a top player or two…guaranteed that UM, MSU, ND and OSU (just in that geographic footprint of OH, IN and MI) can outbid EM on their absolute worse day. Taken as a whole, you can name 2-4 schools per conference that have both the alumni base and alumni base that gives a **** to do this on a regular basis.

But again, equality!

PS: props to those kids that can swing these deals…it clearly works well for them!

Put a rule in like banks have related to TYING. Forbid the tying of a commitment to play at a school to an NIL. If players are not bound to a school, and contracts aren’t cancelable. Money will slow back to what the players tried for

You got that right, some college players are or will soon be making more than their coaches , I guess it’s inevitable, maybe they can donate to Rutgers so we can build a new practice facility.

Maybe the SEC and others just day "eff it" and be college owners of a pro league and go up against spoiled NFL that cant use top college teams as farm teams anymore. Right now some colleges teams are trying to be "a little pregnant" by being NCAA/College and pro at same time

Remember folks this is all about equality in college athletics!
Of course the rich will continue to get richer.
So eastern Michigan can attempt to get a top player or two…guaranteed that UM, MSU, ND and OSU (just in that geographic footprint of OH, IN and MI) can outbid EM on their absolute worse day. Taken as a whole, you can name 2-4 schools per conference that have both the alumni base and alumni base that gives a **** to do this on a regular basis.

But again, equality!

PS: props to those kids that can swing these deals…it clearly works well for them!
Don’t think it was ever about equality, just an avenue for players to make money.

I think this is an opportunity for Rutgers. Like the transfer portal, we have to take advantage of this change, rather than fight it, by ensuring/facilitating that our starters get great NIL deals, which will bring top talent to the school in all sports. I think you will see less and less top schools being able to pile up the best talent, which should have an equalizer effect.

I see the starting 22 at every school getting an NIL deal. The payout will probably be dependent on their production, importance and popularity (Qbs will get paid more than OLs). This should make being on the starting lineup a priority for players. so you will see less and less players just sit for two years at Alabama or Ohio State to wait their turn. This is a similar effect the portal has had (athletes are more impatient, which can be a positive for less popular programs like RU).

I always think of 2006 RU vs Louisville and the high TV ratings we got and all the good things came with winning. Imagine what a popular/successful RU can do for the brand of players and local businesses (New Brunswick/NJ/NY Metropolitan area) $$$$$.

I have tweeted with Geo from time to time on this stuff, he is always willing to respond. Here is today’s public exchange.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT