ADVERTISEMENT

Stock Tracker - 2019 RU Coach Candidates

And if RU beat them it wouldn't mean anything either. It's one game. Ash was here for a little more than 3 years. I gave you a decade of absolute futility in record, scoring, margin of loss, coach fired with scandal and scholarship issues to field a team. Kansas was as bad a situation as you'd find in CFB.

No - it wasn’t “just” one game. That Kansas team dropped 40 points on no. 6 Oklahoma. They lost 24-17 (one score) to no. 14 Texas to end their season.

In contrast, Ash followed up that loss to Kansas with an embarrassing blow out loss to Buffalo. I don’t care about 10 years worth of data. That’s meaningless. In his 4 years at RU Ash managed to make us the indisputably worst power conference team.

No - it wasn’t “just” one game. That Kansas team dropped 40 points on no. 6 Oklahoma. They lost 24-17 (one score) to no. 14 Texas to end their season.

In contrast, Ash followed up that loss to Kansas with an embarrassing blow out loss to Buffalo. I don’t care about 10 years worth of data. That’s meaningless. In his 4 years at RU Ash managed to make us the indisputably worst power conference team.
10 years worth of data is meaningless, lol. Les Miles won 1 B12 game in his tenure there and winless in his last year. They couldn't even field 85 scholarships until this year, a decade after Weis lol. Gimme a break. Averaging less than 2 wins for 10 years. Worse margin of defeat in the P5 for 10 years. Lowest PPG in the P5 for 10 years. I can't even think of many situations that compare to how bad that is. They also don't sit in any decent recruiting state either.

When you look at 10 years of data, it looks hopeless. It goes beyond saying this was one lousy coach but a job that has pathetic prospects beyond belief. Take it from the reverse side, like LSU. They've won national championships with 3 different coaches (including a lousy one in Orgeron) and you think this job has very inherently good prospects and attributes regardless of what might be happening in the present. Coaches of all ability have won here. Kansas is a complete 180 from that and the 10 year pattern of stats and data I mentioned show how bad it was.

10 years worth of data is meaningless, lol. Les Miles won 1 B12 game in his tenure there and winless in his last year. They couldn't even field 85 scholarships until this year, a decade after Weis lol. Gimme a break. Averaging less than 2 wins for 10 years. Worse margin of defeat in the P5 for 10 years. Lowest PPG in the P5 for 10 years. I can't even think of many situations that compare to how bad that is. They also don't sit in any decent recruiting state either.

When you look at 10 years of data, it looks hopeless. It goes beyond saying this was one lousy coach but a job that has pathetic prospects beyond belief. Take it from the reverse side, like LSU. They've won national championships with 3 different coaches (including a lousy one in Orgeron) and you think this job has very inherently good prospects and attributes regardless of what might be happening in the present. Coaches of all ability have won here. Kansas is a complete 180 from that and the 10 year pattern of stats and data I mentioned show how bad it was.

All I’m saying is that even if Kansas wasn’t good - being able to drop 40 on the number 6 team in the country means your OL can’t be that bad. How many times did RU dropped 40 points against an FBS team period since the Ash era began - let alone a major conference team or dare I say - a ranked one?

Reactions: RUTGERS95
All I’m saying is that even if Kansas wasn’t good - being able to drop 40 on the number 6 team in the country means your OL can’t be that bad. How many times did RU dropped 40 points against an FBS team period since the Ash era began - let alone a major conference team or dare I say - a ranked one?
And that's because Ash was a lousy coach. I'm looking beyond a very lousy coach or game or season or whatever. The way that program has been over a decade, it's as tough and seemingly dead end job as you'd find in CFB at that time. Scholarships situation is finally okay now and Texas/OU will be leaving so that will help in the future but it's still a hard job but not as bad as it has been for a decade.

Really, I think if/when Leipold leaves (MSU maybe) it will fall back. 6-8 wins most years is about as good as you can expect from Kansas. That's probably living up to potential.

And that's because Ash was a lousy coach. I'm looking beyond a very lousy coach or game or season or whatever. The way that program has been over a decade, it's as tough and seemingly dead end job as you'd find in CFB at that time. Scholarships situation is finally okay now and Texas/OU will be leaving so that will help in the future but it's still a hard job but not as bad as it has been for a decade.

Really, I think if/when Leipold leaves (MSU maybe) it will fall back. 6-8 wins most years is about as good as you can expect from Kansas. That's probably living up to potential.
Yes it’s because Ash was a lousy coach but part of that was about poor players development. What Schiano inherited in the trenches was worlds behind where Kansas was in the regard - even if their game outcomes in the win column didn’t look that different. Ash made us a very bad MAC team in that regard. The way we were depleted a sudden bounce back like what Colorado has done wasn’t realistic. You don’t just snatch a brand new line from the portal. Fixing that takes more time than fixing a few position players issues. Even if you bandaid well which we did in 2021 -if the bandaid guys on the line get hurt your ability to compete takes a nose dive. We had nobody else when Sutton got hurt. It wasn’t just a modest step down. We were playing someone in his place that wouldn’t start on many FCS teams.

Stock tracker updates:

Leipold - Holds onto the top spot with a dominant win over a mediocre UCF. Kansas will probably win again next week vs an Okie State team that lost to South Alabama to capture bowl eligibility. Outside of Oklahoma, the rest of their schedule is very soft. On our relative tracker, it’ll be important to see how the next few games go for Schiano comparatively. The Illinois win for Leipold doesn’t look as impressive as it once did.

Fritz - Tulane keeps rolling so I’m bumping him up here.

Bielema - Bielema hanging on by a thread. His stock is based on last season’s accomplishments. For now. His team was awful against a bad Nebraska team at home. If Rutgers had beat Wisconsin, Schiano would’ve moved ahead on the tracker.

Schiano - another loss keeps Schiano from moving up. No relative shame losing a road game at Wisconsin though where you are 14 point underdog. Especially not when the coach directly above you in the tracker lost 20-7 at home to Nebraska. At least Rutgers covered the spread.

Butch Jones - reality check against Troy. I’m not so sure his tenure at Arkansas State will be much better than Ash’s tenure at Rutgers in the long run. We’ll see.

Hafley - BC’s schedule is so soft that Jerry Palm might end up looking like a genius with his bowl projection. Still - with what BC started with when Hafley took over, a 3 point win over Army doesn’t move the needle to get him out of the basement.

Houston - picks up another loss. Keep piling them on!

Last edited:
What about Mike Houston at East Carolina?
They're 1-4 with their only win vs FCS Gardner - Webb. Their four FBS losses have come by an average of about 17 points and that's factoring in a 7 point loss to Rice.

Reactions: PSAL_Hoops
What about Mike Houston at East Carolina?
They're 1-4 with their only win vs FCS Gardner - Webb. Their four FBS losses have come by an average of about 17 points and that's factoring in a 7 point loss to Rice.
Thanks! Sorry - got cut off. He’s still in dead last on the tracker.

Reactions: colbert17
This week stock tracker updates. Not much movement in the standings, but Schiano continues to slowly narrow the gap between his current stock and those above him.

Bielema - moves back to the top spot on claiming a big win over Maryland. This doesn’t erase poor performance in some prior games but a manageable 3-4 record with his weaker BIG schedule suddenly puts him in better position to get to 6 wins. Combine that with what he did last year and he leads this pack for now.

Fritz - continues to win comfortably. Can he draw a brand name and knock them off in a bowl game? That’s the question. He’ll probably be a hot name for a bigger gig next year regardless. He should be careful with his choice bearing in mind the struggles of other mid-major stud coaches when they tried to up it to the next level.

Leipold - look, all I want here is for our resident fans who think this guy is the messiah of college football to accknowledge that perhaps the gap between where his program and ours currently sits may be overhyped some. He made a bowl last year - we didn’t. So yeah okay, I have the guy ahead. You like offense and yes, Kansas can put up points, but at least recognize that defense is also part of the game and perhaps it’s less prioritized in the B12 on average? Even just a little??? Kansas sits at 5-2 now. The same as us. They will fall out of the top 25, and probably didn’t belong there in the first place. A closer look at their resume suggests Illinois might be their best win. Time will tell. Perhaps Okie State is turning their season around, but regardless, losing to a team that took a 33-7 pounding from South Alabama on their home floor isn’t a great look.

Schiano - this was a statement comeback for the ages that really positions RU on the rise. Perhaps even more important, Schiano’s 30 second life lesson talk to the team following the game has gone viral and will be a useful tool to continue building our brand. Shame on those of you throwing out there that we just “got lucky”with an onside kick (Schiano called it a Sky recovery) following the defensive TD off the punt. Never mind all that went wrong for us the first 75% of the game - the more important point is RU probably didn’t even need that TD. Don’t lose sight of the game ending drive where MSU simply had no answer for Kyle. We bled 7:30 minutes of clock intentionally that drive methodically plowing into the red zone and then taking 25 yards worth of losses on kneels to burn down the clock. If we needed to punch the ball through that drive we most likely could’ve.

Hafley and Butch Jones - on bye weeks. They hold their spots from last week.

Houston - remains in the basement with another AAC loss. Following that loss, we still had at least one fan who seemed to believe their program was better positioned than ours looking ahead, despite having a down year. Most of us already knew better. Did yesterday’s win move the needle for the holdout(s)?

Reactions: RUSK97
Weekly updates:

Leipold - moves up by default on a bye week.

Bielema / Schiano - I’m putting these guys on even footing for now as Bielema is in serious danger of missing a bowl. If he wins only the 2 home games (Indiana and NW) for a 5-7 finish I’m not going to put him in the sky is falling category following an 8 win season. It’s true he plays a soft west schedule, but that’s somewhat offset in playing Kansas and Toledo (7-1) out of conference. He’s taking a step back this season but still doing a good job overall at Illinois.

Schiano gets the job done - clinches bowl eligibility. Beating Indiana isn’t going to boost him up much though - Indiana is not a good team. Michigan state has much more talent in my opinion.

Note 1 Bielema, Schiano and Liepold are pretty close together now in terms of stock. Leipold could pull ahead with a win next week vs. Oklahoma. All 3 teams have done well with the programs they inherited.

Hafley - Now on track for a bowl bid at 4-3, Hafley has to jump ahead of the junk below him. That said, BC’s schedule is beyond soft. Not even for a second should 6-6 for Hafley be viewed as anywhere near the accomplishment it is with a BIG schedule.

Butch Jones - program is still a disaster. He’s probably in a hopeless situation there.

Houston - remains in the basement with yet another AAC loss. With Tulane still on the schedule, this last loss almost guarantees that East Carolina will not be bowling this year.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT