ADVERTISEMENT

Love and Hate, How Rutgers killed my love for Rutgers

What's he done?

My family and I personally donated large sums of money to build athletic facilities.

Isn't that something?

Even if he donated nothing and was not a letterwinner, wouldn't he be entitled to be distraught over the abyss football is in if he spends a good deal of time following it? I don't agree that anyone on a message board needs to "man up". The manning up I see here for many years is nonsense bluster form many who never competed for or or supported RU or from those who would not stand behind it in person. Lastly, if we didn't have extreme reactions to a winless conference record in 2 of a coach's 3 seasons then we would have little to no dyed in the wool supporters.

I never understood why some people base the love of alma mater on the performance of a football team...sad

Believe it or not the university is not the football program...the football program is not the university...great academic and research advancement continues CFB playoff championship or winless season after winless season!

Oy vey!
Because the university is an even bigger embarrassment?

Reactions: WhiteBus
What's he done?

Isn't that something?

Even if he donated nothing and was not a letterwinner, wouldn't he be entitled to be distraught over the abyss football is in if he spends a good deal of time following it? I don't agree that anyone on a message board needs to "man up". The manning up I see here for many years is nonsense bluster form many who never competed for or or supported RU or from those who would not stand behind it in person. Lastly, if we didn't have extreme reactions to a winless conference record in 2 of a coach's 3 seasons then we would have little to no dyed in the wool supporters.

I don't believe it's true. His statements are factually inconsistent.

And yeah, he needs to "man up". He guaranteed Ash's firing, even in the face of many of us telling him he was wrong.

By the by, it occurs to me that anyone who was such a great, big donor wouldn't have made such a statement. He would have known that it wasn't true.

In other words, he's a fraud. Now he's a fraud and a whiner.

He gets it; you don't.

Just because the football program may be the most visible part of the university, that doesn't make it the most important part.

We're all football fans on this board, so we recognize that the football program is a way that the university can connect with alumni and non-alumni fans. But if that connection never runs deeper than the football program, then it is a superficial connection that is of little significance to the university.

The university is much more than just football.

There are a handful of universities where the culture and identity of the place revolves around football. But those universities are the exception. And Rutgers is not one of those exceptions.

I never said it was the most important part .

But at the end of the day, the love and gratitude almost always outweighs the hate.

Many of us owe a lot to RU. Our careers, meeting our wives, our children and making lifetime friends. Some of us gave up the expense of owning season tickets for a number of reasons, many of them having nothing to do with the product on the field.

When you donate to the University, you can sponsor a scholarship, improve facilities or donate to the academic program or campus school of your choosing. Many of us got our degrees for peanuts, especially when you look at what a degree costs today.

There are many back-payments in those donations.

Football is just one small part of it. Basketball is going to be a lot of fun this year and regardless of how big of a football fan you are, you should of been over this season by the time you went to bed last night.

In the total scheme of things, this is really insignificant.
You forgot to weigh in the power of apathy. Not hate, but not caring any more, which in many ways is worse than hate.

I don't believe it's true. His statements are factually inconsistent.

And yeah, he needs to "man up". He guaranteed Ash's firing, even in the face of many of us telling him he was wrong.

By the by, it occurs to me that anyone who was such a great, big donor wouldn't have made such a statement. He would have known that it wasn't true.

In other words, he's a fraud. Now he's a fraud and a whiner.
you are a pompous As@. Who are you to decide who is real and a fraud?
What a loser and true Fraud YOU are .RU4FAKE.

I am one of the loudest people shouting that Rutgers is a university, not a football franchise. The fact that football is high-visibility does not change that, any more than the fact some people only go back to campus for a football game does.

After all, who would go back to campus to see medical research? Nobody. But that doesn't make it less important than football.

Until this week, nobody was "sticking with Ash." I have no problem with the administration waiting until the end of the season to evaluate a program. And three years is hardly a long time, even with the results we have seen. But from this day forward, any damage done to the program can be pinned on Ash's bosses as much as on Ash.

So if anyone wants to not renew season tickets, not go to a game, not watch games on TV, fine. I get it. But Rutgers has a lot of great things going on. It is a major flagship research university and, as we often say here, deserves more support from the state of New Jersey. If its alumni are going to use bad football as an excuse to completely disown the place, how can we expect non-alumni state residents to give a flying f*(k about the university as a whole?

The fact is we are finally committed to developing facilities a major sports program needs. And yes, Hobbs gets some of the credit for that. When and if we get a coach in here who knows what he's doing, he will have more to work with than anyone we've ever had. And you'll be back.

you are a pompous As@. Who are you to decide who is real and a fraud?
What a loser and true Fraud YOU are .RU4FAKE.

Aww... butthurt over your boy getting "called out"?

Tell ya what - get back to me when you have any sort of thought that could be called "intelligent".

I'll probably be retired by then, so... I may not respond right away.

People like you have no clue. I was watching abc New York news this morning and there was rutgers news, guess what that news was?
You don’t understand that the football team is the most visible part of a university? You don’t understand that for many alumni the only time them or their families ever step foot back on campus is to go to a football game or tailgate?

Again people like YOU may get all worked up over what worthless nbc NY says...I frankly could not give a single f***! If it gets you that worked up, and worries, spread some vagisil on it and reapply in the morning!

No matter what the locals say, RU is a very well regarded school...I have yet to meet someone in academia who says to me...oh degree from Rutgers!? It would be so much better if only your football program was worth a damn!

What drama queens!

Pretty remarkable to see the personal attacks at the OP, who whether you agree with or not, has done quite a bit for RU and is more than entitled to his opinion.

0 conference wins in 2 of 3 years, the nation's longest losing streak, last or near in offense, denials or disregarding our school and program history...the list goes on and on about why could feel bad about an area they spend a lot of time (fball) caring about. Shame on those who attack someone who has cared and supported RU for many years.
I have no idea who the OP is, and I have no idea what he has done for RU. Nor do I care. I wasn't responding to who he was or what he's done. I was responding to his message board post, which was a childish tantrum, and deserving of the comments it prompted.

Reactions: suggakane
Again people like YOU may get all worked up over what worthless nbc NY says...I frankly could not give a single f***! If it gets you that worked up, and worries, spread some vagisil on it and reapply in the morning!

No matter what the locals say, RU is a very well regarded school...I have yet to meet someone in academia who says to me...oh degree from Rutgers!? It would be so much better if only your football program was worth a damn!

What drama queens!
yes,just ignore when the major media market that got you in B10 turns on your program,or when the NY Times calls your program a flop,nobody in the world will be paying attention to any of those media outlets..right? maybe just the whole country?
Just stay in your rabbit hole,hold your hands over your ears and say,its not true,the rest of the world is 'drama queens".!.

I was a proud alumnus of Rutgers and an avid sports fan. No more.

Rutgers killed the great love that I had for this university.

I used to donate tons of money. My family and I personally donated large sums of money to build athletic facilities. No more.

While I was treated well when I had my box in the Audi Club, people that I know, were not treated so well sitting in the stadium. There have been many true stories here about over zealous security at the gates and complaints about behaviors in the stands. Silly rules that no other stadium in the country would have in place or enforce.

Rutgers ONLY wants your money.
Loyal Son be damned.

I was a very loyal son of Rutgers, but all Rutgers wanted from me was my money and to shut up and not complain.

The administration does not give a crap about any of us. They just want us to donate and buy tickets and be happy with what we get and be treated as they want to treat us. No more.

I stopped donating during the Flood disaster. No one cared.

As long as Rutgers disrespects me, as long as Rutgers doesn’t care what product they put out on the football field, and “sorry” as long as Rutgers continues its radical leftist actions, I will NEVER donate another penny to them again.

Rutgers has ripped my heart out.

I cannot root for another team, so I will just not root for any college football team.

Rutgers has taken all of the joy out of college football for me.

I was so happy and encouraged when Schiano was here. We are so far away from that now it is sickening.

Just know, the only thing that Rutgers wants from you is your money and for you to shut up and be happy with what they give you and how they treat you.

You do not matter at all.

If this brings you joy, then fine.

But I am done with Rutgers forever.
Follow and donate to the lacrosse program. If you donate to them the kind of money you say you do, you’ll have the head coach’s cell number and you will be receiving hand written notes every week telling you how appreciated you are.

Fraud?

I don't know 1869 but if you're not correct that he's a fraud re being a donor, you have used up any of your credibility and maligned a loyal son in the process.

Fraud?

I don't know 1869 but if you're not correct that he's a fraud re being a donor, you have used up any of your credibility and maligned a loyal son in the process.
RU4FRAUD is a Ash supporter,maybe his family member,just ignore him.

yes,just ignore when the major media market that got you in B10 turns on your program,or when the NY Times calls your program a flop,nobody in the world will be paying attention to any of those media outlets..right? maybe just the whole country?
Just stay in your rabbit hole,hold your hands over your ears and say,its not true,the rest of the world is 'drama queens".!.
The bad news was about the football program, not the entire university. We've already established that the football program is bad, and highly visible. That's not the point. The point is whether a bad football program should prompt an otherwise proud alumnus to abandon his bond with his alma mater. Those criticizing the OP are mostly saying that the university is much more than football, and therefore someone can and should be proud of Rutgers despite an abysmal football program.

Reactions: Hondo77
The bad news was about the football program, not the entire university. We've already established that the football program is bad, and highly visible. That's not the point. The point is whether a bad football program should prompt an otherwise proud alumnus to abandon his bond with his alma mater. Those criticizing the OP are mostly saying that the university is much more than football, and therefore someone can and should be proud of Rutgers despite an abysmal football program.
good post..point taken.

RU4Real has his obvious flaws, but c'mon man.

Anyone who's been on this board for even a week knows how ridiculous this post is.
not when he calls someone out who clearly posted his emotions on here,and without knowing that posters background or donor level,calling the guy a "FRAUD." Hes out of line and HE deserves to be called out.

It surprises me that you need to summarize the obvious for those not paying attention but maybe it shouldn't.

Will always love RU and will speak highly of its academics and the college experience it provides

However, no more season tix or money from me until this situation is fixed. Unfortunately, money is the only language the admin understands. They have aided and abetted a braindead coach and clueless AD in gutting the football program. They need to learn a lesson.

11 losses is the longest losing streak? That hardly seems remarkable, especially since there are multiple 10 and 11 loss teams. If we had won yesterday, and not earned the longest losing streak honor, would everything be OK? I think a losing streak needs to cover at least part of 3 seasons before it is remarkable.

You have to be joking right ? Remarkable qualities?
Beating only FBS bottom feeder Texas St. at home on Week 1 and proceeding to lose 11 straight with many being in utter embarrassments { including blowout losses to Powerhouses Kansas and Illinois } is remarkable. Having beaten only 1 winning team in 3 years is remarkable. Being at rock bottom and being in utter denial is remarkable.

You have to be joking right ? Remarkable qualities?
Beating only FBS bottom feeder Texas St. at home on Week 1 and proceeding to lose 11 straight with many being in utter embarrassments { including blowout losses to Powerhouses Kansas and Illinois } is remarkable. Having beaten only 1 winning team in 3 years is remarkable. Being at rock bottom and being in utter denial is remarkable.
You missed the point. I already know we're 1-11 and we suck. Telling me that an 11 game losing streak is the longest in the country adds nothing to the conversation, especially since there are other 11 loss and 10 loss teams.

Having the longest losing streak doesn't make our performance worse. And if the schedule was different, so our win over Texas St was week 3, and we only had a 9-game losing streak, our 1-11 performance wouldn't be better.

I love watching Rutgers football. Despite the results less than what many of us wanted this year, I enjoyed every game, and got excited prior to every game in the hope of a win or an improved showing. As usual, attended every home game and even took a trip out to Wisconsin for that game, which was a great time. Will be renewing all our tickets and will be enjoying RU football again next year. My only hope is that all the deserters who claim they are dropping their tickets also have lost enough interest to stop posting on these message boards and make it a complete cesspool for everyone else trying to enjoy RU football

I have a lot of respect for this. I hope you get your wish, although wouldn't hold my breath.

...My only hope is that all the deserters who claim they are dropping their tickets also have lost enough interest to stop posting on these message boards and make it a complete cesspool for everyone else trying to enjoy RU football

...to some posters, it’s posts like this that make the place a ‘cesspool’.

Remember, we’re all likely the ‘bad guy’ in someone else’s story...

Joe P.

I used to donate tons of money. My family and I personally donated large sums of money to build athletic facilities. No more.

While I was treated well when I had my box in the Audi Club, people that I know, were not treated so well sitting in the stadium. There have been many true stories here about over zealous security at the gates and complaints about behaviors in the stands. Silly rules that no other stadium in the country would have in place or enforce.

Loyal Son be damned.

I was a very loyal son of Rutgers, but all Rutgers wanted from me was my money and to shut up and not complain.

The administration does not give a crap about any of us. They just want us to donate and buy tickets and be happy with what we get and be treated as they want to treat us. No more.

As long as Rutgers disrespects me, as long as Rutgers doesn’t care what product they put out on the football field, and “sorry” as long as Rutgers continues its radical leftist actions, I will NEVER donate another penny to them again.

I cannot root for another team, so I will just not root for any college football team.

I was so happy and encouraged when Schiano was here. We are so far away from that now it is sickening.

Just know, the only thing that Rutgers wants from you is your money and for you to shut up and be happy with what they give you and how they treat you.

Ohhh you poor baby, you sound like you need a shoulder to cry on, if momma not available I’m here for you big boy!!!!

Pretty remarkable to see the personal attacks at the OP, who whether you agree with or not, has done quite a bit for RU and is more than entitled to his opinion.

0 conference wins in 2 of 3 years, the nation's longest losing streak, last or near in offense, denials or disregarding our school and program history...the list goes on and on about why could feel bad about an area they spend a lot of time (fball) caring about. Shame on those who attack someone who has cared and supported RU for many years.

Unfortunately we live in a time when, if your opinions, views, feelings don't align with mine, you're evil. I'm not singling out any one faction. This is happening across the entire spectrum.

I have a similar experience. fan since 1980. Sent my son there as well. We had to get him out after 1 year. What they do and say to these kids in the name at diversity and academic freedom is a discrace. Communism, police hatred and vilification, pronouns, Gender stfu. I no longer love Rutgers or support its progressive mission.

Communism? Police Hatred and vilification? Pronouns? Que the tiny violins.
Send your money and your kids to Liberty U. I'm sure they espouse all of your feelings.

Loyal Son be damned.

I decided to stop supporting RU Athletics when the cash-strapped Athletics Department found an extra $500,000 to give Julie Hermann beyond the contract salary she was entitled to. My RU dollars go to student scholarships.

How do we know that various departments at Rutgers are not run as poorly as Rutgers Football? Its not like we see those results every week ever fall. We don't have reporters telling us what's going on.

Here's a link to students complaining about Rutgers .. BTW, some there say they don't have any complaints.

The GS haters seem to be among the most demanding.. demanding championships...

...but the vast majority of Rutgers fans just want to see a competitive team with the hope of a good to great season every now and then. They are realists. Every alum fan and donor got past the whole RU Screw thing.

But that Ash contract hand-cuffed us to failure. And no one is accountable for that. So I commiserate with the OP. Hope he reconsiders.. but I understand where he is coming from.

My initial reaction to this thread is that RU FB is competing w TB Rays as the team that is trying to spend the least to compete in its league.

But as a patron of both teams I truly believe that the Rays are trying much harder to win than RU FB does.

Barchi thinks that RU ticket holders are RU FB suckers, along w our Boosters.

Why would we buy into that mind set?

I will add that Barchi stated his position towards the FB program from the beginning. That is, FB needs to support all AD programs and any premium salaries for FB and BB coaches will be picked up by the Boosters. That works during good times but is a Non Starter during the low times.

Last edited:
Donate to the lax team. It’s becoming everything you want the football team to be.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT