ADVERTISEMENT

Loyola v Duke Today

Line is Duke -3.5. Is there sports betting in NC?

Oh, and I don't often say this but Go Blue Jays!

Reactions: Caliknight
It seems very clear to the conference that it's in each of our best interests to see our conference mates win.

This is a big weekend and will go a long way to determine what conferences are ahead of the others.

Duke out to a fast start.

I'm already seeing the issues Loyola faced when playing us- lack of athleticism s in the middle of the field. And Duke has an abundance of that.

Duke out to a fast start.

I'm already seeing the issues Loyola faced when playing us- lack of athleticism s in the middle of the field. And Duke has an abundance of that.

Duke close to 80% on faceoffs. Problem

Duke close to 80% on faceoffs. Problem

Yep. And a lot of those are 5050 balls. Just too physical and athletic which is usually where you see it really show. Groundball scrums.

Their middies are also running by Loyola's rope guys almost at will.

10 goals and Oneill only has one. That's not a great formula.

Groundballs. If they can't somehow even that up it could get really ugly.

Reactions: jreinsdorf
Buzz saw unfortunately for Loyola. They've been forced to play a ton of D and offense, outside of number 3 who it's great to see out there, there just aren't any threats to run by you so Duke isn't sliding, which they don't do much of anyway.

Army starting to pull away from Lafayette.

Interesting that Duke plays zero big ten teams this year whereas UVA plays 4, ND plays 3, UNC and Syracuse both play 2. It won’t hurt Duke because the rest of the ACC is playing a lot of big teams and if they beat teams that beat big teams they will get credit there but wonder what the reason is.

Reactions: Local Shill
Buzz saw unfortunately for Loyola. They've been forced to play a ton of D and offense, outside of number 3 who it's great to see out there, there just aren't any threats to run by you so Duke isn't sliding, which they don't do much of anyway.

Army starting to pull away from Lafayette.
Rough night 😳

3 was on limited minutes again last night but moved better than in the previous two appearances. He beat a couple guys and had a goal but he’s just frustrated. I expect he ramps up now that it’s all about the PL

Face offs and 50/50 killed us. Just a very sharp game by Duke and a lack luster showing by the Hounds. Team game, lots to fix but you can’t go down 8-2 after 1 vs a team like Duke…or anyone for that matter

Burn the film and re-boot on Monday

Reminded me of an RU trip to Army a couple years back…2020…lost 15-4 and never got off the bus…those games sometimes show up…they key is how you react…

You’d have like to see Loyola with a better showing but that was a bit of house money game. The PL is going to be huge. They need 3 firing then. Smart to limit him until he’s full go. You can see he’s close. He’s moving very well.

Rough night 😳

3 was on limited minutes again last night but moved better than in the previous two appearances. He beat a couple guys and had a goal but he’s just frustrated. I expect he ramps up now that it’s all about the PL

Face offs and 50/50 killed us. Just a very sharp game by Duke and a lack luster showing by the Hounds. Team game, lots to fix but you can’t go down 8-2 after 1 vs a team like Duke…or anyone for that matter

Burn the film and re-boot on Monday

Reminded me of an RU trip to Army a couple years back…2020…lost 15-4 and never got off the bus…those games sometimes show up…they key is how you react…

Did you bother with the Brown underclassmen vs. UNC?

Did you bother with the Brown underclassmen vs. UNC?
Yea. I went over just to see the campus and stadium. I’d never been. Sunny day and I had time to burn waiting on flight back to Detroit. Honestly UNC is very nice. I can see why kids would want to go there…

Yea. I went over just to see the campus and stadium. I’d never been. Sunny day and I had time to burn waiting on flight back to Detroit. Honestly UNC is very nice. I can see why kids would want to go there…

They made the decision right after WWII to pump money in, build an endowment and establish the Morehead Scholarship program to attract top students both in state and out-of-state. It paid off.

Reactions: mattkamish
Not a ton of out of state kids there. For civilian students it’s very hard to get into.

Interesting that Duke plays zero big ten teams this year whereas UVA plays 4, ND plays 3, UNC and Syracuse both play 2. It won’t hurt Duke because the rest of the ACC is playing a lot of big teams and if they beat teams that beat big teams they will get credit there but wonder what the reason is.
Maybe similar to the reason/excuse why almost everyone else in the Big Ten except RU is playing an ACC opponent?

Not a ton of out of state kids there. For civilian students it’s very hard to get into.

Not a ton, but (at least it was a long time ago) the Morehead program was 50% prep school OOS. They asked each of what they deemed the Top 50 prep schools in the country to nominate 2 of their top students. They were then invited down for what was the equivalent to a football official visit for a weekend. And it was a full ride. Obviously not all chose to go. But they get some. In an example of wasted opportunity, one of the 2 my school nominated my senior year was on his way to be starting goalie Yale's ice hockey team. Talk about bad fit!

Maybe similar to the reason/excuse why almost everyone else in the Big Ten except RU is playing an ACC opponent?
I’ll just say this. Scheduling isn’t as easy as picking up the phone and saying we want to play you. They have to want to play us.

Uva backed out of our series after two games and Syracuse wouldn’t renew the series, who we’ve played many times. They knew they’d lose.

I’ll just say this. Scheduling isn’t as easy as picking up the phone and saying we want to play you. They have to want to play us.

Uva backed out of our series after two games and Syracuse wouldn’t renew the series, who we’ve played many times. They knew they’d lose.
Look at the last two years

We were a combined 24-8…that’s good, but when you look deep at our losses, you realize how really good the last two years were…

Of the 8 losses…

4 losses to Maryland (national champ 2022 and runner up in 2021)
1 loss to Princeton (final four team 2022)
1 loss to Cornell (national runner up 2022)
1 loss to #1 seed UNC (final four team 2021)

And the one outlier bad loss to

1 loss to JHU in big ten semi 2021 (hard to beat a team 3 times)

We have only lost to truly elite teams the last couple years and we are elite…

I actually think as RU becomes a stable power, scheduling opportunities will flip back around and people WILL take our game because it will be considered a plus schedule and if you lose to Rutgers, it’s considered a good loss…not sure that was the thought prior…even last year…perceptions change…winning changes things

100%. I’m shocked it hasn’t happened already to be honest.

Thanks for that data. That’s awesome.

We were a combined 24-8…that’s good, but when you look deep at our losses, you realize how really good the last two years were…

Of the 8 losses…

I actually think as RU becomes a stable power, scheduling opportunities will flip back around and people WILL take our game because it will be considered a plus schedule and if you lose to Rutgers, it’s considered a good loss…not sure that was the thought prior…even last year…perceptions change…winning changes things
Great post! I think that record is beyond impressive given how much talent is spread out across the top 20. It's the same reason nobody should be too surprised to see an L at West Point or a nailbiter at UMass. The sport is fun that way and I hate that there is a monopoly on football talent.

Of the 8 losses…

Making the tournament from the Big 10 (even better for a number of consecutive years) turns the loss into a "good loss". Holds true for the Ivies and ACC as well.

Great post! I think that record is beyond impressive given how much talent is spread out across the top 20. It's the same reason nobody should be too surprised to see an L at West Point or a nailbiter at UMass. The sport is fun that way and I hate that there is a monopoly on football talent.
You still have your selector schools but the game is growing much faster at the youth and high school levels than it is at the college level. It’s creating high levels of play across the board.

In the 80s you never would have seen #20 beat a top 5 team. Now it’s very possible.

Of the 8 losses…

Great bit of info, thanks!!

That JHU team we lost to had found something toward the end of the season and was playing better than their record.

Of the 8 losses…

RU Men's Lax is probably one of only two sports at RU that you could truly say are among the elite programs or just outside the elite programs. The other is women's soccer. We have a ton of teams who are good at what they do (men's hoops, wrestling, field hockey, women's lax, men's soccer, baseball, women's crew and even a few up and comers like softball and gymnastics), but the only 2 sports thus far that you can legitimately argue are either in the elite category or just outside it are men's lax and women's soccer.

Great bit of info, thanks!!

That JHU team we lost to had found something toward the end of the season and was playing better than their record.
Yeah. I’d say my original comment about “bad loss” was not correct wording. That Hop team had lots of talent. We had beaten them 2 times already and it was a tough task to win a third.

But my point stands in that on that list, I’ve actually stated that our worst loss in the last two previous years was to Hopkins…think about that. Noting our worst loss was actually Hopkins

That’s where things are at now. Good place to be, but tough to stay at this level. Hope they do.

Last edited:
That loss was just one of those games too. Guys that you wouldn’t expect had all time days and we were just a bit off.

You still have your selector schools but the game is growing much faster at the youth and high school levels than it is at the college level. It’s creating high levels of play across the board.

In the 80s you never would have seen #20 beat a top 5 team. Now it’s very possible.

By the mid 70s there were generally 12 teams that could have a chance against almost anyone, the '76 Maryland and Cornell teams being an exception. It took the NCAA about 5-6 years to accept the fact that an 8 team tournament was obsolete. From there on it was a steady expansion. Hopefully the ever expanding number of HS programs will solve the AQ issue that's currently a problem. Agreed, a #20 team on good day could challenge almost anyone. But it's still not the case for #30.

This is precisely how I see it. And I'm looking at it from the bottom to the top cause my kid just entered HS. There is so much talent at the youth level and the spigot is wide open. I'm excited to see the college landscape in a decade because the high school programs that did not exist when I graduated 30 years ago all have teams now and that is just at the Jersey shore. I have family in Charleston SC that are seeing the spread among the high schools as well now.

There is exponentially more hs talent today than ever, yet only a handful more D1 programs than 20- 30 years ago. Back then it was rare to find a D1 player from west of the Mississippi. Today you could field an all star team comprised of just players from Southern California, and there is exactly 1 NCAA men’s team and zero at the D1 level in CA.

This is precisely how I see it. And I'm looking at it from the bottom to the top cause my kid just entered HS. There is so much talent at the youth level and the spigot is wide open. I'm excited to see the college landscape in a decade because the high school programs that did not exist when I graduated 30 years ago all have teams now and that is just at the Jersey shore. I have family in Charleston SC that are seeing the spread among the high schools as well now.
I’ve seen it up close and personal in Ca. When I first got here Lacrosse wasn’t a sanctioned CIF sport. Kids didn’t play it until high school and they were coached by someone’s parent who had very little understanding of the game.

Flash forward to today and it’s now a CIF sanctioned varsity sport played by schools in the hundreds.

In a number of cases, those kids in high school picked up sticks as pee wees and have been coached by guys that played D1 lacrosse. It’s a very different landscape now

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT