ADVERTISEMENT

No. 17 Rutgers men's lacrosse blasts Loyola for 13-5 victory

Huge bounce back. Love what I saw today. Give the kids and staff a lot of credit. They played so hard and together today. Back on track.

Reactions: herdof3
The Rutgers men’s lacrosse team dominated Loyola Maryland in a 13-5 road victory Saturday afternoon. The Scarlet Knights (3-1) have now defeated the Greyhounds (1-3) in their last three head-to-head matchups.

No. 17 Rutgers started off hot in this one and never looked back. Ross Scott began the scoring with an unassisted goal just over a minute into the contest. Jack Aimone and Tanyr Krummenacher followed up Scott’s goal, and the Knights were quickly out to a 3-0 lead.

Loyola finally stopped its bleeding at the 4-minute mark in the first quarter, but Rutgers did not let up. Aimone and Colin Kurdyla, making his first career start, each scored and the Knights finished the opening quarter leading 5-1.

Including the Aimone and Kurdyla goals to end the first quarter, Rutgers scored 10 of the game’s next 11 goals after the Greyhounds’ lone goal in the first. The Knights built up a whopping 13-2 lead halfway through the third quarter.

Goal No. 13 would be Rutgers’ final tally as Loyola finished the game scoring 3 unanswered. It was far too late for the Greyhounds as the Knights coasted to victory.

Following a lackluster performance from Cardin Stoller last week which led to his benching in that game, head coach Brian Brecht spoke on Stoller and how he would still remain the starter between the pipes for Rutgers.

That decision paid off, as Stoller had the best game of his collegiate career against Loyola. He finished with 15 saves and had a save percentage of 75%.

Hat tricks from Dante Kulas, Shane Knobloch and Aimone led the offensive for the Knights, while Scott pitched in with 2 goals and two assists.

Following last week’s ugly loss against Army, Rutgers bounced back tremendously in this game. The Knights led 27-20 in shots on goal and won 15 of 22 faceoffs. The rest of the stat sheet was fairly even, but with Stoller’s strong performance and the efficiency of the attackers, Rutgers won comfortably.

The Knights now have a three-game homestand upcoming, with Hofstra, Detroit Mercy and No. 11 Princeton coming to town. Rutgers will follow up those three games with a neutral-site game against UMass before entering Big Ten play afterward.

That Kurdyla goal in the 1st showed the talent, he's the real deal.

Going to put aside the Army game. That is an elite team, heavy on seniors, that brought back almost the same team that was 1 goal from making Championship weekend last year. Instead, comparing from Lehigh to SBU, to Loyola, see some actual improvement from start to now. Especially defense which seemed so much sharper. The D was switching up, rarely saw a Loyola player lose the first defensive player and get an open look, like Lehigh, instead another defender would just slide right over. Just a fan, certainly no expert, but seemed like the D was locked in.

Interesting to see how they play the next two games, continue to show the progress before the big OOC Princeton game. Then things could get interesting during conference play.

Reactions: RU-Hunter
I don’t think Kurdyla knows yet how good he is, but he is learning quickly. Once he figures it out and is playing with complete confidence, he will be practically unguardable. Aimone is playing at a high level and obviously Knobloch is Knobloch. When the lights fully come on for Kurdyla, which may only be a game or two away, we may have one of the most formidable 1st middie units in the country.

I bet we will see a lot of double poles on Knobloch and Kurdyla. I don’t see how you can guard either with a shorty without getting abused. We will need Krumenacher to step up because he will be the most likely beneficiary.

If we get Kelly back that will change the dynamic. That gives us 5 legit dodgers / finishers. Kulas might benefit the most, as he won’t be asked to create. He can just get his stick free and finish, which he is elite at.

We are going to get Kelly back. The only question is how soon and how sharp will his skill be, along with how healthy can he stay.

I don't like to give a lot of personal information here and I am sure you could have these same discussions with him if you want, but the light is officially on. Army's short sticks are very, very good. If they aren't the best in the country, they are up there with those that are. They could barely get their hands on him. I am sure we will still see some growing pains which is an expectation, but he can very much have an impact like Knobloch did as a freshman. From a toolbox perspective, he has it all. Long, strong, can run, has quickness, and can shoot with both hands. The more experience he gets the better he is going to become. That goal yesterday where he drove righty and quickly spun back for an open lefty shot was a thing of beauty. Most impressive was he didn't break movement when the d mid pushed him. You can see for a first year he's been hitting the weight room.

We are going to get Kelly back. The only question is how soon and how sharp will his skill be, along with how healthy can he stay.

I don't like to give a lot of personal information here and I am sure you could have these same discussions with him if you want, but the light is officially on. Army's short sticks are very, very good. If they aren't the best in the country, they are up there with those that are. They could barely get their hands on him. I am sure we will still see some growing pains which is an expectation, but he can very much have an impact like Knobloch did as a freshman. From a toolbox perspective, he has it all. Long, strong, can run, has quickness, and can shoot with both hands. The more experience he gets the better he is going to become. That goal yesterday where he drove righty and quickly spun back for an open lefty shot was a thing of beauty. Most impressive was he didn't break movement when the d mid pushed him. You can see for a first year he's been hitting the weight room.
Totally agree. He is a special player. When I say light going on, I mean recognizing that he might be the best player on the field, Knoblock and Scott included. That is a tough leap for a freshman to make, assuming he that
he is not an egomaniac. Knowing the family he most assuredly is not. It’s not ego, it’s just fact. He can do things physically that not many athletes are capable of doing. It’s only a matter is time before not only he recognizes that, but the rest of the team as well. From what I can see we are almost there and we will be better for it.

Will finally be able to get to a game this year in person for Hofstra. Wouldn't mind seeing a similar game like that Hofstra 2022 game.

Reactions: Caliknight
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT