ADVERTISEMENT

Mag to BYU

OIP.jZri4Vmksq8q_IHd_11GfgHaEJ

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
I'm glad that he found a landing spot. Despite the way things ended for him here, he has had a rather compelling life journey so far and I wish him the best in his future.
It's hard for me to reconcile his "journey" and the shit he supposedly pulled this season. Not sure what to think of him anymore.

Will be interesting to see what kind of stats he puts up out there. I have a feeling Pike got the most out of him and he'll have a season a little like Paul did out at Washington.

It's hard for me to reconcile his "journey" and the shit he supposedly pulled this season. Not sure what to think of him anymore.

Will be interesting to see what kind of stats he puts up out there. I have a feeling Pike got the most out of him and he'll have a season a little like Paul did out at Washington.
You reconcile it when you remember he is 22 or whatever years old. He is still a kid.
But yes that shit was not cool.
That’s the type of thing you look back on as you mature and have to grow/learn from.

Really sucked for Pike and the team though.

An article about his transfer puts it as a good move defensively , but not a O+
> Depending who else BYU adds at the four, Mawot will be a candidate to start. He’s not the perfect fit for what Kevin Young wants to do offensively, but he can score off the bounce and defensively he will undoubtedly be BYU’s best defender that can comfortably guard 1-4 and allow BYU to be more aggressive on that end. BYU struggled at times last year defending high-end offensive players and offenses, and Mawot will immediately improve BYU’s defense. According to KenPom, BYU ranked 11 out of 14 Big 12 teams in defensive efficiency. I anticipate Mawot will make the Big 12 All-Defensive team if he stays healthy throughout conference play.<

Reactions: Knight Shift
I HATE it but you will see more and more of what Mag did. The lack of knowing what everyone gets paid will have players never knowing what their worth is. When tgey find out holding out is the only leverage.

If you find out there are better paying jobs you can quit and move. Players cant

quit on his teammates and coaches. wish for nothing but bad things for him moving forward.

quit on his teammates and coaches. wish for nothing but bad things for him moving forward.
A ton of professionals quit on their teams and companies everyday. If I am working on a team for Google or Apple and find out my coworker makes 20K more than me and I see a job opening at Facebook that makes 30K more there is a good chance I am quitting on my team.

The reality (and I hate it) is they are professionals. What recourse does Mag have if he finds out the guy in the locker room makes 100K more than him? He either accepts it or asks for more...if he asks for more and doesn't get it his only recourse is to hold out.

A ton of professionals quit on their teams and companies everyday. If I am working on a team for Google or Apple and find out my coworker makes 20K more than me and I see a job opening at Facebook that makes 30K more there is a good chance I am quitting on my team.

The reality (and I hate it) is they are professionals. What recourse does Mag have if he finds out the guy in the locker room makes 100K more than him? He either accepts it or asks for more...if he asks for more and doesn't get it his only recourse is to hold out.
It's one thing to change employers in a professional manner and another thing to mail it in while you are still being paid by your current employer.

It's one thing to change employers in a professional manner and another thing to mail it in while you are still being paid by your current employer.
How do you change employers in the middle of the season....only recourse is to ask for more money.

How do you change employers in the middle of the season....only recourse is to ask for more money.
Ask for more money if you don’t get it, you fulfill your contract to the best of your abilities and then you go elsewhere as soon as you can.
That is what most would do in the professional example you gave as well

Reactions: angmo and FastMJ
Ask for more money if you don’t get it, you fulfill your contract to the best of your abilities and then you go elsewhere as soon as you can.
That is what most would do in the professional example you gave as well
The big issue is the lack of transparency.

I don't know how things go and are/were.

Imagine if you are Mag and you are making $10,000 and you find out Gavin is making $100,000. Then you find out Noah is making $100,000 too. You know how important you were to the team in the past year. You go to whoever and say you would like to make $100,000 and you are told sorry but we can't pay you that.

I would think in that situation with his injury you would be pretty hurt and disrespected.

This is the wild west right now. I have ZERO idea what each guy is being paid....that is part of the problem

Imagine if you are Mag and you are making $10,000 and you find out Gavin is making $100,000. Then you find out Noah is making $100,000 too. You know how important you were to the team in the past year. You go to whoever and say you would like to make $100,000 and you are told sorry but we can't pay you that.

I would think in that situation with his injury you would be pretty hurt and disrespected.

This is the wild west right now. I have ZERO idea what each guy is being paid....that is part of the problem

Right. We don’t know. If this is really going on behind the scenes often, we’ll probably start to see incentive bonuses added to contracts so that there’s extra money on the table to continue playing and achieving. It’s possible we see this anyway - with things like the football bowls.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
I HATE it but you will see more and more of what Mag did. The lack of knowing what everyone gets paid will have players never knowing what their worth is. When tgey find out holding out is the only leverage.

If you find out there are better paying jobs you can quit and move. Players cant
I’m not sure what positive mag got out of all of this (if it was intentional). He flushed all his RU long term connections down the toilet for an NIL deal that is likely no different than the one he would get at RU.

Reading through this thread, I can see why divorce lawyers can make so much money. 🙂

I wish Mag the best of luck and hopefully he stays healthy.
I feel the same way. Everything has changed in College Basketball...But I wish the best for him. He is one hell of a player.

I am still in shock that he chose BYU over the Aztec...but it is what it is.

• Sad
Reactions: Luvscarletknights

Nah man, not talking about transferring for cash, don't blame anybody for that!! talking about being healthy and bailing on teammates MID SEASON when medically cleared by all.

Reactions: FastMJ
I’m not sure what positive mag got out of all of this (if it was intentional). He flushed all his RU long term connections down the toilet for an NIL deal that is likely no different than the one he would get at RU.
I agree with this sentiment

I agree with this sentiment

We don't actually know what he was getting for NIL at RU or what he's getting for NIL at BYU, right? Nor do we know what long term connections he actually has at RU, or how valuable they'd be to him in the future, or that those connections will not still help him out in the future.

It was always going to be a gamble for him. But he's not likely to play in the NBA with his injuries. So it was make some more money now, if possible, or else that was it.

If I were someone who would have helped him out in the future, I would not cut him off for trying to earn as much money with basketball as he can before it's too late. Not even if he sat out games he could've played in but wanted to avoid risking whatever money he might earn the following year (which nobody has actually proven is the case).

That would be even more selfish and mean-spirited than people are claiming Mag was.

You said "supposedly" which to me means I'm over it. Played his heart out for us and that takes its toll on the body. I appreciate him but agree with you Pike got a lot out of him.

Probably has a lot to do with it. Those guys just shot the ball. Mag put his body in the line.

If anyone watched our D last year you would notice that Mag was the last guy to quit in his teammates.

I hate to say thjs …but more and more , if someone is leaving to get paid more …let them go.

The key going foreard is really trying to find 2 guys per yest that can stick for four years ….which really hasn’t changed because NIL is here

But you get kids who want to be here and make sure that they are getting fair market .

you do know he got a big bump in $$$ last off season when he pouted

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT