ADVERTISEMENT

Maori Davenport to transfer

I'd bet my # of posts on THIS board, when things are going well, over the HISTORY of this board, is higher than the # of those posted during "bad" times so-to-speak.

Nice try, however, and hope you're staying healthy my friend.
Hope you're staying healthy .
But just calling them as I see them when it comes to posting agendas
Past history sometimes shows praise given some of the time.
But that same poster can be expected to post mainly when things are not looking so hot .

Mine is more praise than fault,I'm willing to admit my agenda of trying to put more supportive messages than ones that find faults.
My history of posting probably has been noticed by others to be like that.
Just like I notice those that find fault more than positive messages.

edit: we all can fuss and fight over our personal take oin the issues raised on this board and the other TKR boards.
But like Nut's did: we all should hope everyone posting on TKR and their families remain safe during these trying times.
Thanks for caring Nuts, appreciate how you can disagree with me, but still hope the best for me :Fist: :FistBump: oops makle that an elbow bump :Okay

Hope you're staying healthy .
But just calling them as I see them when it comes to posting agendas
Past history sometimes shows praise given some of the time.
But that same poster can be expected to post mainly when things are not looking so hot .

Mine is more praise than fault,I'm willing to admit my agenda of trying to put more supportive messages than ones that find faults.
My history of posting probably has been noticed by others to be like that.
Just like I notice those that find fault more than positive messages.

No agenda, honestly, I just want EVERY program to be the best it can be, period, so I call'em like I see'em. Always have, always will, if you recall my take on Kyle Flood (that got me banned from here for over a year) LOL!

No agenda, honestly, I just want EVERY program to be the best it can be, period, so I call'em like I see'em. Always have, always will, if you recall my take on Kyle Flood (that got me banned from here for over a year) LOL!
know you're a great fan and supporter of all Rutgers sports , but feel you go overboard on negativity at times.
As for me, some would say I'm too positive and tend to downplay the negatives.
Be safe so we can continue to disagree on some issues, but support all RU Sports programs in our own way.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Agreed we want nothing more than ALL of our Rutgers teams to do well!!

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
You should at least be able to see how a player fits your style of play.
That, from time to time, has been a problem that Rutgers has had. In this case, while possibly partly true, there has to be the caveat that she didn't play for a period so may have lost some conditioning as well as how the opportunities to develop her played out in the course of the season.

It has seemed to me that Rutgers has been willing to accept players they have an interest in that is interested in them, while assuming they can "fix" any potential negatives. Doesn't always work out, it was the issue with recruits as long ago as the April Sykes class and perhaps before.

I don't have an answer. That Rutgers had a player transfer is no big deal, that it was a "big deal" player makes it more concerning to some.

That, from time to time, has been a problem that Rutgers has had. In this case, while possibly partly true, there has to be the caveat that she didn't play for a period so may have lost some conditioning as well as how the opportunities to develop her played out in the course of the season.

It has seemed to me that Rutgers has been willing to accept players they have an interest in that is interested in them, while assuming they can "fix" any potential negatives. Doesn't always work out, it was the issue with recruits as long ago as the April Sykes class and perhaps before.

I don't have an answer. That Rutgers had a player transfer is no big deal, that it was a "big deal" player makes it more concerning to some.
If I'm Viv, I'm thinking that Maori is a player with such enormous potential that I can't pass up. 6'5" to boot. She really just needs the time to mature physically and mentally into her body. When I say mentally, I mean, realizing the damage she can impose on her opponents. The Naz Hillmon mindset. As my coach would say to us, Get Nasty Out There!!! Doesn't mean dirty play,...just physical and aggressive. I'm sure Viv and staff felt they could get her there in a year or two. And she could fit with our style. She would not need to be in the front of the 55. She would be a paint, rim protector.

Remember, Maori signed before the new facilities were completed. We didn't have a flood of recruits coming here at that time, so anybody would jump to take a Maori D.. top-15 recruit. Once you have a roster full of high level players, like we are now starting to get with the incoming added to our current top players, ...then you can maybe pass on one HS All American in favor of another. Then we can act like UConn lol.

Finally,...That April Sykes class was well-suited to play Viv's style. You can't turn down 5 Mc D All-Americans if they want to play for you. I just think they came at a time when Viv was still stuck in the coaching style that completely stifled offense and depended on defense to win games. That class came here ready to run and shoot. They probably only saw Rutgers once or twice(Championship Tenn.game included). They didn't do their HW before choosing RU. They just didn't buy into that style once they got here, although they were athletic and skilled enough to play it. I'm inclined to put some blame on Coach because you gotta do more when dealt a hand like that. The Laney, Copper, Hollivey, Scaife team could have been more effective if she had let them play to score more. Laney and Copper should have been allowed to have the green light from 3 throughout their RU careers. Scaife did, but the other two didn't really shoot them until their senior years, prepping for the WNBA. She has since given in to the fact that you have to play to score along with defense to win.

Sorry for the lengthiness. Been trying to take my mind off the grim news reports. Keep the convo going, it really helps.

Hadn't checked this board but not surprised but guess what CVS worked hard to get her to play her senior season so thats a real disrespect of appreciation

Auburn has 8 players transfer from their WBB team this year, 1 in the preseason & 7 at the conclusion of the season. Transfers are a fact of life in College sports & it will continue to be the reality going forward.

Reactions: rondi and MADHAT1
It happens every year and when there are only 7 players on the roster they make excuses

That actually hasn't been a problem for a moment. Even with all the injuries/departures this year CVS had 9 players at her disposal in the final game of the season (she started season with 12: Maddox, Morris injured, Noga injured/left).

Next year, as of now, there will be 12 players at beginning of year.

I am wondering how many Season Ticket Holders, are thinking about entering the Transfer Portal. For a coach with HOF credentials, it’s been a long dry spell.
She’s had a great career but it’s time to retire and let a high energy younger coach take the reigns, just like a QB that stays to long and becomes irrelevant.

She’s had a great career but it’s time to retire and let a high energy younger coach take the reigns, just like a QB that stays to long and becomes irrelevant.
Are you kidding? The team went 22-9, a 71% winning percentage. Of the 9 losses, 3 came when she was missing 3 guards and the 4th when she was missing 4. She's got a 5-star guard coming in next season as well as a couple of athletic post players. She also set a record for the most 20-win seasons in women's basketball. Comparing her to a QB who stays too long is ridiculous, because a QB who stays too long doesn't win 70% of his games.

When her players start hitting 3 pointers and go far into the tourney or wins big games on a regular basis I will definitely agree with you, but I feel it’s just about time for her to go on vacation which is not a bad thing, she’s had a great career.

Any ticket holders who want to enter the transfer portal after watching this season, were not true fans of the program. CVS has earned the opportunity to enjoy the spoils of the new facilities after all the years in the old, out-dated ones. Anybody who would look to deny her of that would have to be on some other agenda. If you just don't like CVS as a coach, just say that. Her performance this year, as Chas RC lays out in the above post doesn't match your point of view.

The problem with posts like this is that you never back up your point with good reasons. And a high energy young coach doesn't guarantee you a Nat. Championship either.

Reactions: TRU2RU and LtCol144
When her players start hitting 3 pointers and go far into the tourney or wins big games on a regular basis I will definitely agree with you, but I feel it’s just about time for her to go on vacation which is not a bad thing, she’s had a great career.
Just now seeing your reasoning. I can respect that. And I agree with you on those points. I just believe she deserves the opportunity to see if she can do it, now that she is able to get the players here in the numbers required to be able to go far into the tourney and win big games. A #8 incoming class, ......give her a chance to see if she can get it done since she is finally getting the talent in numbers again.

I totally understand about giving her a chance and I realize she ain’t going anywhere unless on her own terms at this point, I just think she has a bad habit of doing less with more. And it’s totally the opposite with Coach Pikiell, imagine what he could do if he’s had similar ranked classes :Shocked

I totally understand about giving her a chance and I realize she ain’t going anywhere unless on her own terms at this point, I just think she has a bad habit of doing less with more. And it’s totally the opposite with Coach Pikiell, imagine what he could do if he’s had similar ranked classes :Shocked
Here we go with comparisons to the men's program........Did you watch them both this season? .... They both had similar levels of talent, although the men had the kind of depth that our women had last year. They both had similar results. The women had a slightly better record, just as many Big wins, if not more.

Not a good idea to try to use success of the men;s program against women's program. I am a believer in Pikell, and think he is going to bring the men to another level. The reality is that both programs are pretty much mirroring each other right now. The recruiting is picking up for both. Players make the difference. Geno is not winning all those Nat. Chips. without those top ten recruiting classes every year. Dawn is now winning because she has been able to do that also. We now have beautiful facilities, great coaches, and a great educational program to offer. The new facility is the difference-maker for both programs. Let's enjoy both programs as they start to catch up in the recruiting battle, which will allow both to go back to the elite level.

Additionally, CVS has not had highly ranked recruiting classes for a while, mainly due to the old facilities imo. Neither have the guys, most likely for the same reason. They both will have promising classes coming in next year, after just one year of the new facilities.

Additionally, CVS has not had highly ranked recruiting classes for a while, mainly due to the old facilities imo. Neither have the guys, most likely for the same reason. They both will have promising classes coming in next year, after just one year of the new facilities.
One of the issues with the much varied fan base WBB has, at least for the decade of the teens, is that a lot of fans never seemed to see that the team, even at its most talented, was nowhere near as talented as they wanted to think. I too think the facilities was one of the issues, there were others as well. With the new facilities and a bit of success things are looking up.

As to the men, likewise with the new facilities. But the men's recruiting issues really went to the on-going lack of success. None of our coaches were able to convince recruits that they were the one to rebuild the program without the commitment to facilities.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT