ADVERTISEMENT

Mario Cristobal takes heat from fans, media after Miami’s loss to Rutgers

I think Miami had some really bad field position that did them in after their drive to take the lead. Penalties killed RU in the first half but did the same to Miami in the 3rd quarter

The game swung violently in RUTGERS favor with the blocked punt

Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY
I thought Schiano called two 2nd half TOs that he shouldn’t have:

1. he called a TO and then a challenge on Monangai’s run to the 1. If you have 1st and goal on the 1 with KM in the backfield, why bother ? He got charged the TO.

2. Called a TO on defense near midfield later in the 4th on Miami 4th and 1. Again, not worth it.

He may have needed them later on more critical plays.

So, bad job by both coaches with timeouts.

I think Miami had some really bad field position that did them in after their drive to take the lead. Penalties killed RU in the first half but did the same to Miami in the 3rd quarter

The game swung violently in RUTGERS favor with the blocked punt
Well, we resisted the urge to go for it at midfield and we pinned them deep. That turned out to be huge.

1. he called a TO and then a challenge on Monangai’s run to the 1. If you have 1st and goal on the 1 with KM in the backfield, why bother ? He got charged the TO.

2. Called a TO on defense near midfield later in the 4th on Miami 4th and 1. Again, not worth it.

OK- I'll play

1) yeah- bad challenge - maybe should have just called a TO and allow them time to take a look
2) You really cant tell why a TO is called in this instance - so- is it bad or not- no way to know

* We ended up not needing them so his management was far better than MC

This game is hard to judge that. Miami was missing a lot of key players. Plus his recruiting has been top notch. Not a fan of Miami at all, but for what he had to work with on short notice it wasn't a bad job overall.
Miami recruits itself. Missing players is part of college football now. He should have developed other ones then.

The blocked punt was a coaching blunder. As were the lack of using timeouts.

I’ve seen many of his Oregon games. He’s a terrible coach.

Miami recruits itself. Missing players is part of college football now. He should have developed other ones then.

So if Miami had a better coach , we lose ?

OK- I'll play

1) yeah- bad challenge - maybe should have just called a TO and allow them time to take a look
2) You really cant tell why a TO is called in this instance - so- is it bad or not- no way to know

Call the decision whatever, it’s absurd that GS needed to do anything to get them to review the TD there.

Should be automatic the refs look at it in that scenario…

Don't forget the Canes had a large number of opt-outs, particularly on defense, and played the 3rd string QB... That said, RU did what was needed to win. This will give some good momentum heading to next year!

Hey F 'em. If they want to recruit mercenaries this is how it works out. It'll happen to us soon enough.

Reactions: wheezer
Fair comments about MIAMI not having some players, but we have had instances over the years, where players were hurt, back breaks, etc... . F*&% it... we won... period. Players stepped up, and aren't Miami's 2nd & 3rd players supposed to be still better than RU players based on their recruiting? So SCREW them... GO RU !!!!

Tweet of the game

Tip Top is Him on X @Matthew08691148 @AllKindsWeather Would rather not play a bowl game then get shit on by Rutgers 😭😭😭😭😭 _ X.htm

Reactions: William J. Leggett
OK- I'll play

It’s illogical to say it was good use of TOs because we didn’t end up needing them. That should go without saying.

Would using the extra 2 timeouts made the difference.? Media/fans often focus on the most ridiculous things. The blocked punt and RU’s ability to run the ball and win up front was the difference. It’s not rocket science.
At the time, I thought he made a mistake not using his timeouts sooner
Then, they had the ball with a chance and still had the two timeouts
Some could question it, but it wasn’t totally foolish, especially if he burned one or two earlier, and we got first downs thereafter

Last edited:

He criticizes R's pass defense when our best pass defender was out because he left for the NFL draft. Shelby will never have anything nice to say.

Yeah that’s easy to say, but explain. How was coverage different ?
We didnt let him motion or move to be man covered with a safety. We also did more to bring heat opposite of where he was and not underneath where he was running routes.

We also blitzed less and ran more zone underneath to make the reads harder. We ended up getting more pressure by bringing less in the blitz package.

1. Why snap the ball again for the score if you don’t have to? Miami also stopped us 2x on the “rush push” earlier in the game. I wouldn’t say it felt like a sure thing. I also thought Kyle deserved the TD after a truly special run. Certainly would have been in the “Pinstripe All-Time Top 10 Plays”

2. That TO was unfortunate. The play clock had run to zero so Miami was about to get a penalty. My guess is RU was trying for some time to get the TO but Refs didn’t see it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT