ADVERTISEMENT

Mario Cristobal takes heat from fans, media after Miami’s loss to Rutgers

Don't forget the Canes had a large number of opt-outs, particularly on defense, and played the 3rd string QB... That said, RU did what was needed to win. This will give some good momentum heading to next year!
How many Miami players sat out?

We didnt let him motion or move to be man covered with a safety. We also did more to bring heat opposite of where he was and not underneath where he was running routes.

We also blitzed less and ran more zone underneath to make the reads harder. We ended up getting more pressure by bringing less in the blitz package.
I stopped reading at ‘we didn’t let him motion’. Fail

• Haha
Reactions: Hondo77
At the time, I thought he made a mistake not using his timeouts sooner
Then, the had the ball with a chance and still had the two timeouts
Some could question it, but it wasn’t totally foolish, especially if he burned one or two earlier, and we got first downs thereafter
I chalk it up to Rutgers benefitting from the QB not having a lot of game experience. With two TOs after the onside kick, all pass routes were open to Miami as the announcers mentioned, but the QB kept going to the out routes as is he had to kill the clock with the play.

1. Why snap the ball again for the score if you don’t have to? Miami also stopped us 2x on the “rush push” earlier in the game. I wouldn’t say it felt like a sure thing. I also thought Kyle deserved the TD after a truly special run. Certainly would have been in the “Pinstripe All-Time Top 10 Plays”

2. That TO was unfortunate. The play clock had run to zero so Miami was about to get a penalty. My guess is RU was trying for some time to get the TO but Refs didn’t see it.
1. Because you have a runner dominating the game. 1st and goal from the 1. Hand off to him the next play and keep the TO in case you need it.

I chalk it up to Rutgers benefitting from the QB not having a lot of game experience. With two TOs after the onside kick, all pass routes were open to Miami as the announcers mentioned, but the QB kept going to the out routes as is he had to kill the clock with the play.
Good point
A 15-20 yard pass over the middle and we would be staring at a bad situation
Then they could put the next couple in the endzone and who knows how that would turn out

Miami recruits itself. Missing players is part of college football now. He should have developed other ones then.

The blocked punt was a coaching blunder. As were the lack of using timeouts.

I’ve seen many of his Oregon games. He’s a terrible coach.
Miami 2023 recruits : 2-5 stars, 14-4 stars, 7-4 star transfers
MIAMI 2022 recruits: 10-4 stars, 1-4 star transfer
Miami 2021 recruits: 2-5 stars, 12-4 stars
Miami 2020 recruits: 10-4 stars, 3-4 stars transfers

So many 4 stars, tell that to Syracuse.

He criticizes R's pass defense when our best pass defender was out because he left for the NFL draft. Shelby will never have anything nice to say.
Shelby is pleased they won. It’s just curious they went away from what was working until mid 4thQ. When they went back to it, it was successful

How many Miami players sat out?

So many 4 stars, tell that to Syracuse, probably every Miami player was a 4 star recruit.

If Miami hired Schiano as head coach, they would be Top 10 team almost every year.

So many 4 stars, tell that to Syracuse.
Miami recruits itself. It’s one of the handful programs that new coaches come into and there are already players there with talent.

Cristobal isn’t doing anything on the recruiting front that hasn’t already been done there.

They need a coach with x and o expertise. He’s the complete opposite.

Reactions: BoogieKnight
Don't forget the Canes had a large number of opt-outs, particularly on defense, and played the 3rd string QB... That said, RU did what was needed to win. This will give some good momentum heading to next year!
We were missing numerous key starters as well : Melton, Powell, Langan, etc.
Full Squads on both sides and we still win this game.

Would using the extra 2 timeouts made the difference.?
We will never know, but it sure may have. If Miami had recovered the onside kick with an extra 80 seconds to work with (1:45 instead of 0:25) do you not think that would have mattered?

We will never know, but it sure may have. If Miami had recovered the onside kick with an extra 80 seconds to work with (1:45 instead of 0:25) do you not think that would have mattered?

Exactly.

They could have still thrown over the middle - clock would have stopped with a 1st down and also spike the ball if wanted.

Even with the 2 TOs, only having 25 seconds is a huge burden because the plays themselves eat into the clock.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
I thought he was in, even after the review

That woman ref was missing calls all over the place on both sides.
The funniest thing was seeing the lady ref fall right on her ass as she was running behind the RU Bench right after a call was made. LMAO from Section 228

They have talent at every position. The fact that they only won 7 games in the ACC means they need a new coach.

1. Because you have a runner dominating the game. 1st and goal from the 1. Hand off to him the next play and keep the TO in case you need it.

I’m sure the Rutgers guys upstairs were saying they thought he was in.

You don’t get to the level we want to get to by taking plays off or “we’ll get it on the next one” mentality. It’s a split-second decision and why challenges exist. We have plenty of games with timeouts left over. When you are ahead you don’t have to think about them as much so this kind of “gamble” is more worthwhile.

I’m sure the Rutgers guys upstairs were saying they thought he was in.

You don’t get to the level we want to get to by taking plays off or “we’ll get it on the next one” mentality. It’s a split-second decision and why challenges exist. We have plenty of games with timeouts left over. When you are ahead you don’t have to think about them as much so this kind of “gamble” is more worthwhile.
Do you have to call a TO to challenge ? They used their only challenge (since unsuccessful) and also burned a TO,

Miami recruits itself. It’s one of the handful programs that new coaches come into and there are already players there with talent.

Cristobal isn’t doing anything on the recruiting front that hasn’t already been done there.

They need a coach with x and o expertise. He’s the complete opposite.
I always felt Miami hired Mario to 'croot and stock the cupboard. After 4-5 years, they bring in the x and o wizard to deliver all that stockpiled talent to the Promised Land. Sort of like what Cuse is eyeing.

Reactions: rucoe89
My wife rather be in Florida too!
With you staying in Jersey?😜

Drums Eye Roll GIF

Do you have to call a TO to challenge ? They used their only challenge and also burned a TO,
Yes
You have to call a TO to challenge if the refs don’t initiate one

For a guy who says he is happy that we won….

You sure do have a lot to complain about

Team did a lot of good things today but as par for the course you complain about and Schiano and Wimsatt

Must suck to be so glass half empty

Reactions: scottsdaleal
I always felt Miami hired Mario to 'croot and stock the cupboard. After 4-5 years, they bring in the x and o wizard to deliver all that stockpiled talent to the Promised Land. Sort of like what Cuse is eyeing.
That may be the path that admin decides upon. Still not a fan of them in the B1G, but may want them over FSU for the recruiting territory.

1. Why snap the ball again for the score if you don’t have to? Miami also stopped us 2x on the “rush push” earlier in the game. I wouldn’t say it felt like a sure thing. I also thought Kyle deserved the TD after a truly special run. Certainly would have been in the “Pinstripe All-Time Top 10 Plays”

2. That TO was unfortunate. The play clock had run to zero so Miami was about to get a penalty. My guess is RU was trying for some time to get the TO but Refs didn’t see it.
About #2, I didn't record the game but watching it in person, I'm pretty sure there was an uncovered Miami WR near the Miami bench that would have had smooth sailing if they found him the ball. That's what I thought watching it anyway.

Reactions: RUinOhio
Yes
You have to call a TO to challenge if the refs don’t initiate one

For a guy who says he is happy that we won….

You sure do have a lot to complain about

Team did a lot of good things today but as par for the course you complain about and Schiano and Wimsatt

Must suck to be so glass half empty
I wouldn’t call the TOs major errors. GW, however, isn’t a competent QB . I hope GS replaces him. The rest of the team deserves a real QB.

I thought Schiano called two 2nd half TOs that he shouldn’t have:

1. he called a TO and then a challenge on Monangai’s run to the 1. If you have 1st and goal on the 1 with KM in the backfield, why bother ? He got charged the TO.

2. Called a TO on defense near midfield later in the 4th on Miami 4th and 1. Again, not worth it.

He may have needed them later on more critical plays.

So, bad job by both coaches with timeouts.
I sort of complained about the 4th and 1, but you don’t know if personnel was off or whatever but RU got the STOP! So you are wrong! And the challenge idc, he scored imo, at the game. Refs were god awful all game.

I wouldn’t call the TOs major errors. GW, however, isn’t a competent QB . I hope GS replaces him. The rest of the team deserve a real QB.
Yea we know

But again rather than compliment how the team performed

Your ENTIRE focus is criticizing GS and GW…and by the way….GS coached a good game today….but you focus on timeouts…WTF?

We just won a bowl game for the first time in 9 years and instead of taking pleasure in that….you whine

Must suck to be so miserable

I only brought up the TOs because this thread was about Cristobal’s TO misuse.

Again, Shelby left YS feeling good about the outcome. His concern about QB play, or rather lack of competent play going forward is warranted.

This game is hard to judge that. Miami was missing a lot of key players. Plus his recruiting has been top notch. Not a fan of Miami at all, but for what he had to work with on short notice it wasn't a bad job overall.
If his recruiting is Top Notch what are the excuses about.

We had injuries and no Melton.

If his recruiting is Top Notch what are the excuses about.

We had injuries and no Melton.
Read through posts for context. Overall he was down a lot more talent than us today due to NFL and transfers. That said, some of their backup talent could be our first team talent and they still were not good enough today.

Go watch the end of the Ga Tech game. Guy makes Schiano look like the copernicus of clock management.
Not exactly. His RB had 98 or 99 yards rushing and MC wanted to get him 100.

That’s the kind of thing coaches do. Players love that, check that…the whole team loves that.

Yea, the 1 in 1,000,000 outcome happened but it wasn’t remotely a clock management error.

so you're saying that Cristobal is the issue and not that we're any good?

lol, whole nother thread where people think we are respected just fine with no issues on that front hahahahahah

only on the Rutgers board

I was watching the punt block and was surprised how ragged Miami looked.
Cristobal should be aware of how Schiano does some things like blocks but Miami looked bad on the kick.

See that on RU's left they have 4 guys at LOS ready to rush and one guy on the edge feinting a rush.
Miami only picked-up one RU rusher beyond the LOS and the other two whisked right by Miami blockers who looked as lazy as I ever saw blockers look. So the block was a basic overload that wasn't hard to spot and then crappy blocking.

13YaHmp.gif

I was watching the punt block and was surprised how ragged Miami looked.
Cristobal should be aware of how Schiano does some things like blocks but Miami looked bad on the kick.

See that on RU's left they have 4 guys at LOS ready to rush and one guy on the edge feinting a rush.
Miami only picked-up one RU rusher and the other three whisked right by Miami blockers who looked as lazy as I ever saw blockers look. So the block was a basic overload that wasn't hard to spot and then crappy blocking.

13YaHmp.gif
he's a shitty coach
we dodged a bullet

Reactions: ashokan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT